• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Homeboyd

I know it's been brought up before, but did we decide we are assuming everything on this page is placeholder info or what we can reasonably expect to see in Halo 4? I mean, who's to say "co-op" as we know it will be in Halo 4?

Maybe it's.. Maybe it's something new... Maybe it's something really cool we don't even know about...?

And would you even want something greater than 16 players max?

Havok

cory021 said:
I might not be reading this right, but isn't the Beta Hopper going to be 4v4? Why is Highlands in there? 6v6 is currently a little dull, but 4v4? That's kind of a stretch.

Also, I don't think I've ever played an 8v8 game on Highlands.
Gotta use those maps for something.

DLC implementation in this game is pretty terrible. Would buy TU2 with DLC search restrictor. 200 games of BTB, zero Highlands.

cory021

Neo Member
Havok said:
Gotta use those maps for something.

DLC implementation in this game is pretty terrible. Would buy TU2 with DLC search restrictor. 200 games of BTB, zero Highlands.
Or just alter the search restrictions to increase the odds of playing against other players with DLC, but don't increase the odds of the DLC actually coming up. Couldn't this be done with a playlist update, or something similar?

But yeah, outside of Unearthed, I don't think I ever play DLC maps in MM, with the exception of Premium Slayer/Battle.

Krispy

Good lord, Halo 3 on a decent connection is incredible. Bring back the BR! Also, what the hell? Why am I a much better sniper in H3 than Reach?

Havok

cory021 said:
Or just alter the search restrictions to increase the odds of playing against other players with DLC, but don't increase the odds of the DLC actually coming up. Couldn't this be done with a playlist update, or something similar?

But yeah, outside of Unearthed, I don't think I ever play DLC maps in MM, with the exception of Premium Slayer/Battle.
I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt by saying it's not possible now, because if it is, I'd be even more baffled that they hadn't done it already.
Krispy said:
Good lord, Halo 3 on a decent connection is incredible. Bring back the BR! Also, what the hell? Why am I a much better sniper in H3 than Reach?
I played a little last night and I felt the opposite in regards to the quality - weapon feedback compared to Reach is atrocious. Your sniping issue is bizarre, Reach has an idiotproof sniper, it's so much easier than before.

Havok said:
I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt by saying it's not possible now, because if it is, I'd be even more baffled that they hadn't done it already.

I played a little last night and I felt the opposite in regards to the quality - weapon feedback compared to Reach is atrocious. Your sniping issue is bizarre, Reach has an idiotproof sniper, it's so much easier than before.

Yup Reach sniper is like a tractor beam.

Louis Wu

Holy shit I caught up. STOP POSTING SO MUCH GODDAMN

I go 3 days without reading GAF, and I have over 1000 posts to get through? Geez.

Louis Wu said:

I go 3 days without reading GAF, and I have over 1000 posts to get through? Geez.

Just ignore everyone who isn't me. Wait still too many posts. Nevermind.

Louis Wu said:

Really you only need to look at certain posts.

Anything I say, Tashi, KyleJ, I guess Devo, and GhaleonEB my FF idol. Thats bout it. Maybe EazyB's current alt.

Rickenslacker said:
Damn, you have almost double the number of posts (410) as the person with the second most posts (210). Slow the fuck down lol.

I swear it's all of the artwork.

ShiftyEyes.gif

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Louis Wu said:

Why catch up? All I do is click on last page.

FyreWulff

Havok said:

The next step up in DLC frequency would be to just gate access by requiring DLC for the playlist.

The current algorithm searches for DLC owners first but if they're too distant in ping or skill you'll still get non-DLC owners.

And then you have the jerks even in DLC-required playlists that put the DLC on a flash drive and yank it when a map from Noble or Defiant comes up and they don't want to play it (they also did it in Halo 3)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
xxjuicesxx said:
Really you only need to look at certain posts.

Anything I say, Tashi, KyleJ, I guess Devo, and GhaleonEB my FF idol. Thats bout it. Maybe EazyB's current alt.
I haven't said anything good lately. Maybe tomorrow I will.

FyreWulff said:
The next step up in DLC frequency would be to just gate access by requiring DLC for the playlist.

The current algorithm searches for DLC owners first but if they're too distant in ping or skill you'll still get non-DLC owners.

And then you have the jerks even in DLC-required playlists that put the DLC on a flash drive and yank it when a map from Noble or Defiant comes up and they don't want to play it (they also did it in Halo 3)

Thanks for the info. Time to fuck off tempest ss.

vhfive

Louis Wu said:

I just go back 2 pages each time. I can't be bothered to keep up with this thread it moves to damn fast

orznge

Banned
FyreWulff said:

They're right for doing that.

cory021 said:
I might not be reading this right, but isn't the Beta Hopper going to be 4v4? Why is Highlands in there? 6v6 is currently a little dull, but 4v4? That's kind of a stretch.

Also, I don't think I've ever played an 8v8 game on Highlands.

Yeah I saw that too. Highlands is terribly empty for 6v6, I will never vote for it in that playlist.

Plywood said:
If only there was a way to yank Forgeworld.
Someone get on this.

Must find a way.

FyreWulff

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah I saw that too. Highlands is terribly empty for 6v6, I will never vote for it in that playlist.

Someone get on this.

Must find a way.

Step 1) Buy a bunch of copies of Reach.

Step 2) Scratch discs in different locations until Forge World doesn't load.

Step 3) Profit?

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:

Let that be a lesson to you: never stop reading GAF. Think of all the fun you'll miss!

I am quite excited to be doing my final year project involving Halo (Reach stats more precisely). The lecturer I have was quite intrigued by the idea to use the stats and hopefully the ways I intend on utilizing them will lead to a fun game. I may have to ask HaloGaf for some help down the line depending on how my scope shifts. I know a few of ye have already offered. I was thinking it might be fun to get some of you t record maybe a line or two of in-game dialogue or something. Maybe you'd like to write music for the game? I dunno. I'm not 100% on whether I could use your assets in my project but I definitely intend to carry it on after I graduate.

FyreWulff said:
Step 1) Buy a bunch of copies of Reach.

Step 2) Scratch discs in different locations until Forge World doesn't load.

Step 3) Profit?

Certainty won't be any profit, but it may just be worth it.

Zeouterlimits said:
NxXky.jpg

this game... me...
The TU probably won't fix things, so.. Should I play something that ends up making me feel terrible?

/has had particularly terrible night
You mean like this? http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=797680553&player=XxDeputyMoonman

One guy had 11 kills with the needler. That weapon is pretty lame, imo. There is really no way to dodge it. If you get shot from behind, there is no point in even trying. By the time you hear the needles zipping through the air you've already exploded. I remember why I don't do squad slayer now. Why on earth would I want to deal with 5 players using bullshit tactics as opposed to 4? Back to team slayer I go!

Havok

Deputy Moonman said:
You mean like this? http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=797680553&player=XxDeputyMoonman

One guy had 11 kills with the needler. That weapon is pretty lame, imo. There is really no way to dodge it. If you get shot from behind, there is no point in even trying. By the time you hear the needles zipping through the air you've already exploded. I remember why I don't do squad slayer now. Why on earth would I want to deal with 5 players using bullshit tactics as opposed to 4? Back to team slayer I go!
Not having to deal with the awful Forge variants and Armor Lock is worth the extra player shenanigans. I have no idea why Team Slayer even exists anymore, to be honest. Some Slayer playlist removals are in order - there are Slayer-only 2v2, 4v4, 5v5, and 6v6 playlists, and I don't see why some can't be consolidated. BTB pre-update might as well have been an 8v8 Slayer playlist given that's all that was ever voted for.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome games tonight, Senador. Your friends are fucking hilarious.

Devolution said:
Just ignore everyone who isn't me. Wait still too many posts. Nevermind.
:lol

BigShow36

Deputy Moonman said:

The needler can only remain as a joke weapon. When Bungie attempted to make it "more useful" I face-palmed big time. You simply can't "balance" the needler in its current state due to how it operates.

The only way for it to be balanced would be to have the needles track your reticle rather than the opponent. This would at least force you to maintain your aim in order for it to be effective. Right now, its either a humiliation weapon (CE) or an OP weapon (Reach).

Tawpgun

BigShow36 said:
The needler can only remain as a joke weapon. When Bungie attempted to make it "more useful" I face-palmed big time. You simply can't "balance" the needler in its current state due to how it operates.

The only way for it to be balanced would be to have the needles track your reticle rather than the opponent. This would at least force you to maintain your aim in order for it to be effective. Right now, its either a humiliation weapon (CE) or an OP weapon (Reach).
.... That would be an amazing addition to the needler. Keep the same or reduced tracking, but you need to have the reticle red for them to follow. But you coudln't for instance make them pull a 180 and get the guy from the back.

Ramirez said:
I find the Halo 3 needler to be much more OP than the Reach one, but it's a throw away joke weapon either way.

You can actually juke the Reach one sometimes, not so with the h3 one.

Went into CE thread on gaming side, staying in this thread: CONFIRMED.

Hey You

BlindSwordsmanZ said:
What up Halo Gaf, I have a strange Halo issue and was referred to the bnet forums by live support. I'm asking more out of curiosity than anything else and have not heard back from anyone on those forums. My service tag was banned. I11 is not allowed as a service tag. Of course, this is not a big deal but what the hell? Any thoughts on what could be offensive about I11?
:lol: Xbox Support still referring People to Bungie for Halo support? I guess they didn't get the memo.

senador

Banned
omg.kittens said:
Awesome games tonight, Senador. Your friends are fucking hilarious.

They were on one tonight. I hope they didn't offend you. You'll be caught in the....crossfire! LOL

Man, some of the most fun I've had in Reach has been on Tempest with Warthog shenanigans. So much fun. I was the gunner of a hog and my buddy drove up to the man cannon on beach side and we killed a few of them and splattered another. This resulted in 3 of them quitting so we did a victory drive.

What's up with default descriptions for clips and screenshots suddenly containing words not allowed?

Hydranockz said:
What is it about jetpack+needler combos on Asylum? Like this dude on top. It was so weird to deal with.

Shh, you like Reach and Jet Packers aren't a problem. :p

Retro

Decided to venture into standard Team Slayer after hanging out in SWAT to get my headshot mojo back. Went from being the third or last player on my team in that to being top player in damn near every game I played tonight. I dunno what it was, but getting my mits on the Dolphin of Doom was a recipe for destruction. And people still fucking fall for holograms like crazy, dunno if I was just on a roll with a ton of terrible players or I was having a good night, but I was baiting people into traps and grenades like crazy.

And fucking grenade kills out the ass, and not just the 'derp, tossed a grenade as I died and got you, derp" kind either, real decent sticks and slides. I wish SWAT had some kind of special grenade (A non-damaging flashbang that causes the screen to blur?), I miss grenades when I'm playing that gametype.

... of course, the obvious thing to do is just to not play SWAT anymore. I can live with that. I much prefer the longer lives of regular slayer to the one-and-done spawn-kill-spree BS. Fucking forgot how good Halo can be, really looking forward to CE:A gametypes now.

Oh, and I finally pushed to Lt. Colonel after, what, a year? Looking spiffy now, I guess.

Havok said:
Not having to deal with the awful Forge variants and Armor Lock is worth the extra player shenanigans. I have no idea why Team Slayer even exists anymore, to be honest. Some Slayer playlist removals are in order - there are Slayer-only 2v2, 4v4, 5v5, and 6v6 playlists, and I don't see why some can't be consolidated. BTB pre-update might as well have been an 8v8 Slayer playlist given that's all that was ever voted for.
I like a lot of the forge maps in team slayer: kingdom, treasury, chateau, think twice, and if it weren't for jetpacks, enclosed would be an okay map, too.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
I much prefer the longer lives of regular slayer to the one-and-done spawn-kill-spree BS.
Haha, yup. I was playing SWAT on Sword Base and got a triple kill at the top of red lift. I leapt down to the bottom floor to chase the fourth guy, and right before I land two of his team mates (who I just killed) respawn right in front of me! You shoulda seen the look on my face -- I could feel the killtrocity. But, alas, I died after the overkill. :-(

In before "That's what you get for playing SWAT."

And got my first ever assist spree while playing with Senador today. Laughed my ass off.

Havok

Deputy Moonman said:
I like a lot of the forge maps in team slayer: kingdom, treasury, chateau, think twice, and if it weren't for jetpacks, enclosed would be an okay map, too.
I'd recommend Arena then. Improved (but not perfect) loadouts, you still get some okay Forge maps (Kingdom, Select, sadly mixed with the bad ones), and generally less bullshit than TS has. Matchmaking times are a little longer, but skill matches are better after division placement.

I could never get behind Enclosed being considered acceptable, though.

Tunavi

Banned
Hopefully the zero bloom gametype comes out with in the next two weeks, and I'll be playing 4v4 customs for a long time.

Top Bottom