• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Hypertrooper said:
It isn't a great game. It sucks. But that isn't topic here.TU is coming out in 5 days. We should prepare ourself mentally.
I'm not playing it for single player

The Real Napsta said:
Can someone explain the Gears hype to me?

The campaign is always the same:

Cover, shoot, cover, shoot, cover shoot.

The MP is team shotguns in slow motion.

Sure, it has good graphics (and its in color now), but I still don't get it.
MP is much more than team shotguns. This isn't Gears 1

The Real Napsta said:

There are many things wrong with this post, but this isn't the place to point them out. This thread should be about rejoicing because the TU is almost here!

Tashi0106 said:
I just don't see the need for such a drastic change. I like bloom, I think it works.
I completely disagree. But this whole MLG thing is going to be interesting. Some members of that community like bloom other hate it. That is going to be a big decision.

TheOddOne

The Real Napsta said:

Same could be said about Halo.

Yeah, I went there.

Edit: Dammit, Dax beat me :|

lybertyboy said:
Collecting valuable data for future challenge scheduling.

Daily Challenges

Body Shots - Collect 25 assists in a single game of SWAT. 2000 cR

Endure 2.0 - Sit through 75 waves of Firefight Limited. 2000 cR

Low and Fast - Get 15 kills with the Banshee in a single game of BTB. 1500 cR

With Honors - Finish a CTF game with the most kills on your team. 1000 cR

Weekly Challenge

Wait For Me - Earn 150 rejection medals in matchmaking games. 21000 cR

ncsuDuncan said:
Daily Challenges

Weekly Challenge

Wait For Me - Earn 150 rejection medals in a matchmaking game. 21000 cR
Fixed it for you.

feel

ncsuDuncan said:
Daily Challenges

Weekly Challenge

Wait For Me - Earn 150 rejection medals in matchmaking games. 21000 cR
Took me more than it should to realize you were posting a joke list. That doesn't speak well of the real ones. :lol

Homeboyd

Wu, can you combine your list with this list Havok posted here:

Havok said:
Those are only the ones that require them to be in a single game - the number of assist challenges altogether would be significantly higher, which I think is what he meant (albeit hyperbolically). It's pretty rad that you've got all those listed out, though. Bookmarking!

At any rate, they're not good.

Edit: http://halo.bungie.org/showchallenges.php?c=great

And add in any other assist challenges in MP/FF/Campaign? Then you'll see why I said we got assist challenges almost every day. Even excluding Campaign and FF, there were still several a week.. Almost every day would be pretty close to accurate.

TheOddOne

Letters said:
Took me more than it should to realize you were posting a joke list. That doesn't speak well of the real ones. :lol
Wait... I just noticed it too.

kobe-wtf.gif

Ramirez

The Real Napsta said:

You could apply idiotic logic to any game and get a similar argument. The beta was really good, and *gasp* they actually listened to their fans and made logical changes.

Louis Wu

Havok said:
Those are only the ones that require them to be in a single game - the number of assist challenges altogether would be significantly higher, which I think is what he meant (albeit hyperbolically). It's pretty rad that you've got all those listed out, though. Bookmarking!

At any rate, they're not good.

Edit: http://halo.bungie.org/showchallenges.php?c=great
Holy crap. I didn't even remember those. That is an absurd number. :(

Homeboyd said:
Edit: And what about the challenges that said "Get X assists in MM today"?? I wasn't counting just the "X amount in one game".. you didn't include those in your list.
That's because I totally forgot about them. ;) Havok didn't, though. You're right. That's a stupid quantity.
Homeboyd said:
Can we combine the two? And are there any other MP related ones? Add in FF and Campaign?
How about this?
http://halo.bungie.org/showchallenges.php?d=assist

AAAAAAAAGHHHHH

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, can't believe you guys fell for Duncan's challenges.

Oh yeah, speaking of which, has any more info on the custom challenges thing been revealed? Do we know how it's gonna work?

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
omg.kittens said:
Haha, can't believe you guys fell for Duncan's challenges.

Oh yeah, speaking of which, has any more info on the custom challenges thing been revealed? Do we know how it's gonna work?

Had a meeting about social challenges this week. Hope to have more information out there for public consumption soonish.

Ramirez said:
You could apply idiotic logic to any game and get a similar argument. The beta was really good, and *gasp* they actually listened to their fans and made logical changes.
I did like that they added dedicated servers.

orznge

Banned
aDDiKt24 said:
Okay lets turn Halo into Zombies now? Well played dumb ass. People go to Zombies because they want to get kills for challenges or commendations. But theres no arguing with someone like you who lets shit come out of their fingers like this.

You should go play Call of Duty or maybe even Galaga as obviously the amount of kills you get in a game is directly tied to your self esteem.

hahahah you couldn't tell I was joking you weirdo

wwm0nkey

Hypertrooper said:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/16/halo-anniversarys-kinect-functionality-partially-explained/

Posted? It is about the kinect feature. It will be revealed next month maybe.
Its cool that we can use voice commands to switch between classic an anniversary. Wonder what the other feature is.
(sucks it wont be head tracking)

Also it seems like October is going to be a marketing push so guess that is also when we see Hang Em High. Which I am starting to think is the new forging space.

A27_StarWolf said:
I don't understand the rage here?

Assists should NEVER be encouraged or rewarded.

There is absolutely no situation in Halo where a player shouldn't be going for the full kill.

It would be like rewarding CTF players for the amount of time they spend contesting a flag instead of rewarding captures.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
lybertyboy said:
Had a meeting about social challenges this week. Hope to have more information out there for public consumption soonish.
Rad. Can't wait to challenge troll my friends.

Hah, I just had an idea. Two of the kids I babysit play Halo, and it'd be really fun to make challenges for them. They would totally nerd out on it. :-D

feel

Sean P. said:
haha nice job

and beli343 was spotted a couple times :)

Hypertrooper said:
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/16/halo-anniversarys-kinect-functionality-partially-explained/

Posted? It is about the kinect feature. It will be revealed next month maybe.
Visual layer switch by voice! Nice! :)

"10 years of gaming evolution! mm..? TEN YEARS OF GAMING EVOLUTION!!!! .... TEN!! YEARS! OF GAMING EVOLUTION!!!!!!!!" *switches*

wwm0nkey said:
Its cool that we can use voice commands to switch between classic an anniversary. Wonder what the other feature is.
(sucks it wont be head tracking)

Also it seems like October is going to be a marketing push so guess that is also when we see Hang Em High. Which I am starting to think is the new forging space.
Wouldn't it be cool if HeH wasn't the only map they remade on this new forge space?
They could add Chill Out, Wizard, Derelict, and more.

ncsuDuncan said:

There is absolutely no situation in Halo where a player shouldn't be going for the full kill.

It would be like rewarding CTF players for the amount of time they spend contesting a flag instead of rewarding captures.

I've never seen anyone not try and kill.

The urge to get a kill and be rewarded for that is more prevalent than not killing someone.

I've always thought of these as rewarding someone for being a team player.

Sean P.

Letters said:
haha nice job

and beli343 was spotted a couple times :)

Yea :p

Actually kind of silly, I had just gotten my hair cut that short and didn't recognize myself other than the shirt haha, then I was like OH its me

Hypertrooper said:
HaloGAF t-shirt. dude the HaloGAF t-shirt.

Nearly every retailer is selling the game here in Germany already. And a friend is the boss of the games department of a big store.

Sounds like Germany isn't as uptight about Street dates as retailer's are here.

I've been doing some thinking about the pistol in terms of the sandbox and as a starting weapon in reach as it exists now.

What do you think would need to be changed about the pistol to make it an alternative to DMR starts? My line of thought is a slightly increased mag with slightly decreased bloom per shot would make it better than it currently is, but still make the DMR/NR desirable.

Now I'm probably gonna get some flack for this, but I'm still not entirely convinced BR/DMR starts should be on every playlist. In playlists without those starts I think a tweaked pistol would bridge the gap between AR's being awful and people pinging you midrange on spawn with the DMR.

GhaleonEB

A27_StarWolf said:
I've never seen anyone not try and kill.
Every day I've ever played Firefight or Multiplayer on a day when we have an assist Challenge, I see people pulling shots to get assists. Every time.

My favorite was in a game of Firefight Doubles a month back or so, where there was a particularly steep quota for the day (40 IIRC). One dude was just running around with the Plasma Pistol putting shots on guys while I finished them (which was fine by me). But it totally perverted what Doubles is supposed to be about.

In MP I see guys put 3-4 shots on enemies, then stop, on days such as today.

BlueScrote said:
Sounds like Germany isn't as uptight about Street dates as retailer's are here.

I've been doing some thinking about the pistol in terms of the sandbox and as a starting weapon in reach as it exists now.

What do you think would need to be changed about the pistol to make it an alternative to DMR starts? My line of thought is a slightly increased mag with slightly decreased bloom per shot would make it better than it currently is, but still make the DMR/NR desirable.

Now I'm probably gonna get some flack for this, but I'm still not entirely convinced BR/DMR starts should be on every playlist. In playlists without those starts I think a tweaked pistol would bridge the gap between AR's being awful and people pinging you midrange on spawn with the DMR.
I think if they upped the bullet count on the pistol and got rid of bloom/nerfed it drastically it would be a good starting weapon

kinda like in the beta...

senador

Banned
^^It was the Japanese version. It took me a bit to figure out too. Its hilarious. So if its the Japanese version why is the announcer in English still? I never understand that about translated things.

thezerofire said:
I think if they upped the bullet count on the pistol and got rid of bloom/nerfed it drastically it would be a good starting weapon

kinda like in the beta...

Agreed. I think its a good starting weapon now, but you have to be way to smart and efficient with it and that's just not possible with AR fests going on around you.

wwm0nkey

The Real Napsta said:
Wouldn't it be cool if HeH wasn't the only map they remade on this new forge space?
They could add Chill Out, Wizard, Derelict, and more.
if Hang Em High is really the new forge space then that is what I would expect lol

ncsuDuncan said:

Thats not true at all. :/ I really dont get a sarcastic vibe from your post either. My detector must be broken.

I think the hate stems from the fact that the game just does not seem to like rewarding assists at all.

Blue Ninja said:
WTF is up with that?

EDIT: Oh, I get it. Japanese announcer.

Why would they re-record the lines just to change the voice actor but not the language lol. :p

Tashi0106 said:
I just don't see the need for such a drastic change. I like bloom, I think it works.

Bloom will be removed from MLG settings, but I doubt they will make a change like that until next season.

lybertyboy said:
Collecting valuable data for future challenge scheduling.

Here's all the data you need: GAF loves assist challenges, so much so that they are secretly begging for weekly assist challenges!

wwm0nkey

I kind of like Black Ops assist system, whoever got the most damage on the guy gets the kill.

If there is a TU2 I really hope that would be the new assist system.

wwm0nkey said:
if Hang Em High is really the new forge space then that is what I would expect lol

Im starting to think there may be a chance that it is. It just doesn't seem like they would save it for last with us already knowing what map it is from the beginning unless it had some sort of surprise incorporated with it.

Sean P. said:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JYu-6OJRFk&feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" title="Go To The YouTube Page" class="ypg">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JYu-...ature=youtu.be</a>

lawlz lawlz lawlz so famous
Lol @ IGN's "highlights" and the over-the-top patched-in "Gained the lead, lost the lead" sound bites. Regardless, congratulations! What'd you win?

wwm0nkey

Demoncarnotaur said:
Im starting to think there may be a chance that it is. It just doesn't seem like they would save it for last with us already knowing what map it is from the beginning unless it had some sort of surprise incorporated with it.
Agreed, it would be also cool if you could delete the entire map and just have a skybox and A LOT of working space.

Basically what Forge World should have been.

Guess we will find out next month. Also what events are there next month where they can show of the kinect support and Hang Em High?

senador

Banned
I may regret saying this but, I think you guys expect too many assists. Why does it matter anyway? Your team got the kill, move on. I have no problem getting assists and am nearly to Onyx with assists. I thought that meant I sucked but I've found I get the most when doing my part and playing as a team. Here's a recent round where I went +8 and also got 8 assists.

That said, I wouldn't be against a slight increase in the time window to get one, and the way assist challenges make people play is dumb just like the jet pack challenges. What I do is tend to ignore the challenge on these days and usually ending up getting more kills than normal which is fine with me.

feel

Can't stop admiring the MC model. They've come so far since the bad E3 reveal.

Sudden lack of shadows bothers me though, but it must something weird going on with the build used for these pics (I hope)

senador said:
I may regret saying this but, I think you guys expect too many assists. Why does it matter anyway? Your team got the kill, move on. I have no problem getting assists and am nearly to Onyx with assists. I thought that meant I sucked but I've found I get the most when doing my part and playing as a team. Here's a recent round where I went +8 and also got 8 assists.

That said, I wouldn't be against a slight increase in the time window to get one, and the way it makes people play is dumb just like the jet pack challenges. What I do is tend to ignore the challenge on these days usually ending up getting more kills than normal which is fine with me.
I think it because it's always been part of a measure of how well you're playing, and how much you're helping the team. It just seems arbitrary to change it.

senador said:

That said, I wouldn't be against a slight increase in the time window to get one, and the way assist challenges make people play is dumb just like the jet pack challenges. What I do is tend to ignore the challenge on these days and usually ending up getting more kills than normal which is fine with me.

Even if I dont get many kills in something like Halo 3 if I go positive and get a ton of assists then I know I did pretty well, maybe just didnt get the last shot in but at least I helped the team towards winning.

When the assist system doesnt really count very often its hard to get that judgment in.

By the way 'Why does it matter anyway?' isnt a valid argument lol. You could say the same thing about the medal system in its entirety. By your argument why would it matter if the headshot medal didnt register half the time? Really the systems should work. even if they are considered superflous.

GhaleonEB

senador said:
I may regret saying this but, I think you guys expect too many assists. Why does it matter anyway?
1) Assists were much easier to get in past Halo games.
2) The Challenge and Commendation system reward them, so earning fewer is frustrating. It also alters players behavior as they have to work harder to earn them for Challenges.

Going back to Halo 3 the other day, everyone was getting 8-10 assists per game, without trying for them.

Top Bottom