• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Dani said:
Yeah I'd love to hear how Devin managed to buy the very rare and not for sale wireless Duke.
A guy won it during the costume contest... As he walked off stage I told him that I would like to buy it off him right then and there. I offered him cash, he accepted.

There is a hilarious second part to the story, but I'll get into that later. :lol

edit: Hyper spoils the story!

MrBig

Side by side comparison of the new 343 cutscene. (cuts before the marine recording, don't worry.)

Changes are more significant than I thought. Animations seem a little stiffer/forced and all the camera tracks are new. I don't know. I'd say its a drop in quality and they missed some of the tension that was in the original, sped it up, and made the chief act all giddy.

lybertyboy said:
This.

B-Roll was older than the screens, and there wasn't time to go back and recapture. Still the same sexytime map, now just a bit easier to see other players.
Blue skies to forever? Awesome. :D I was getting tired of the dreary Reach look so I'm glad that this one is more vibrant.

Oozer3993

neoism said:
I still don't understand why even release the TU without us being able to play customs right after... :/

My guess: Software testing. Only make one change at a time so that if something goes wrong, it's easier to trace back to the source. The new gametypes are probably coded a little differently from the old ones, possibly making use of some new hooks introduced in the TU. If both were deployed at the same time, and something went wrong in a game, it could be tough to track what caused it: the new gametype, or the TU.

ElRenoRaven

MrBig said:
Side by side comparison of the new 343 cutscene. (cuts before the marine recording, don't worry.)

Changes are more significant than I thought. Animations seem a little stiffer and all the camera tracks are new. I don't know. I'd say its a drop in quality and they missed some of the tension that was in the original.

I dunno. Seemed pretty much the same to me minus the camera angles and the one moment where he turns around to see what the noise was. I do agree that moment was a bit worse in Anniversary. Mainly the little surprised like jerk. Other then that though the rest looked fine I thought.

I will admit though I don't understand why the changed any of that though. I'd have preferred them stay exactly like how Bungie had them.

neoism said:
I still don't understand why even release the TU without us being able to play customs right after... :/
The TU doesn't give us the ability to change the options ourselves. The TU build we ear Frankie and Ellis talk about is probably some internal build. Once the TU drops next week, the gametypes they have been playing will probably need to be updated to match the release build of the TU. The time between when the TU drops and when we get that custom game is the time, I'm assuming, it will take to get the Megalo hooks arranged and tweaked to suit the gametype they want to release. Last minute modifications and getting it cleared up the chain will probably be where the time will go... but that's my guess :p

That concept art... santa maria!!

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The Real Napsta said:
Assuming you live with your g/f, just LAN with her bro.
Would, but the TVs are wall-mounted and on different floors, so setting it up would be a horrible pain in the ass (as would buying dozens of feet of ethernet cables).

NAT was closed, so we gave up and are doing split screen. FOV and screen shrinkage stucks! But I guess it's better than the last thing we tried, which was Borderlands.

PsychoRaven said:
I dunno. Seemed pretty much the same to me minus the camera angles and the one moment where he turns around to see what the noise was. I do agree that moment was a bit worse in Anniversary. Mainly the little surprised like jerk. Other then that though the rest looked fine I thought.

I will admit though I don't understand why the changed any of that though. I'd have preferred them stay exactly like how Bungie had them.
The scene where he turns around should be still in first-person, but I would add the HUD(with a millisecond movement on the radar). But the other stuff looks awesome.

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:

Changes are more significant than I thought. Animations seem a little stiffer/forced and all the camera tracks are new. I don't know. I'd say its a drop in quality and they missed some of the tension that was in the original.
I'm curious why they changed the camera work. I didn't think such a small detail would matter, but in the original that moment of searching added to the mounting tension of the scene. Odd to see it removed.

Looks great otherwise, but I wasn't expecting alterations to the direction of the scene.

Oh my...
City_Burning.jpg

Tunavi

Banned
Old orange headlong skybox >>>>>> new blue headlong skybox. A little sad, but whatever.

@dani, holy shit at the new alexandria photos, so many additions to my wallpaper folder, thanks for that

David, I will give you 400 MS points for a zero bloom slayer gametype. Not even joking.

MrBig

kylej said:
So tired of this dinosaur piece of shit they call the Xbox 360. I want fidelity like that in my games. Lets go already Microsoft.
The next xbox is most likely to release in 2014, coinciding in the release of Windows 9. Hopefully BF3 signals a shift to PC leads in AAA games until then.

Tunavi said:
Old orange headlong skybox >>>>>> new blue headlong skybox. A little sad, but whatever.

@dani, holy shit at the new alexandria photos, so many additions to my wallpaper folder, thanks for that

David, I will give you 400 MS points for a zero bloom slayer gametype. Not even joking.
You could give the 400 MS points to that boy. You know.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
MrBig said:
The next xbox is most likely to release in 2014, coinciding in the release of Windows 9.
Why do you say that?

A Spring 2013 release alongside (or soon after) Windows 8 sounds more likely to me.

MrBig

omg.kittens said:
Why do you say that?

A Spring 2013 release alongside (or soon after) Windows 8 sounds more likely to me.
Because the tight integration of WL into W8 makes it seem like the two products will be intertwined and designed around eachother in their next iteration.
W8 is releasing in early-mid 2012. That's a two year dev cylcle from W7's release.

kylej

Banned
MrBig said:
The next xbox is most likely to release in 2014, coinciding in the release of Windows 9. Hopefully BF3 signals a shift to PC leads in AAA games until then.

I've already talked to a lot of my old Halo/COD friends and most of us are going to go PC only soon. After I get out of school and actually have a pot to piss in I'll build one up and just go that route. I can't take these jaggy, laggy, 20fps messes anymore. Every game crumbles on this system.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tunavi said:
http://i.imgur.com/3lJGw.png

This could be yours david. Give us what we want, we'll give you what you want[/QUOTE]
Gotta appreciate the cackling maniacal avatar at the bottom.

lybertyboy said:
This.
B-Roll was older than the screens, and there wasn't time to go back and recapture. Still the same sexytime map, now just a bit easier to see other players.

I may be alone in this, but that is a huge disappointment to me... =( =(
I particularly liked the orange sky as it gave me huge ODST vibes, and I really wanted MP maps to use that games art direction. On top of that the orange sky gave it a much more unique look while compared to other maps.. Sad.... =/. Can we get a pic to see the new blue skybox to see if all isn't lost..?

Dani said:

Oh my god. Amazing. Imagine if the game matched some of that art, it would have had a ton more atmosphere.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
PsychoRaven said:
Yea. All the Halo stuff is just amazing. I love concept art like that stuff. Simply amazing stuff most of the time.
I've got new Goldsworthy hotness as my current desktop. His work just keeps getting better and better, which is incredible given the depth of his experience.

Dat concept art.
Rare that Reach hit the tone that some of that concept art shows, especially in game, but even in cut-scenes.

Every time I build the campaign up in mind, generally end up being surprised by the good, but disappointed in plenty.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
MrBig said:
W8 is releasing in early-mid 2012.
Ah, I hadn't heard that. I was expecting the release to be later. Still, I'd be amazed if they waited till 2014 for the next Xbox.

Hypertrooper said:
Windows 8 comes out Spring 2013? Damn. I want to buy a new laptop next week.
Even sooner, apparently!

wwm0nkey

Hypertrooper said:
Windows 8 comes out Spring 2013? Damn. I want to buy a new laptop next week.
No date on Windows 8 yet but a 2013 date is probably going to happen, im thinking either late 2012 or early 2013.

Also wonder if we are going to see any Halo related things on Xbox Live for Windows 8.

Windows 8 is coming out sometimes next year (mid 2012).
That would put a Windows 9 release somewhere in 2015, most likely not aligning with an Xbox release. Windows 8 and the new Xbox dashboard will already have similar UI's, as Microsoft tries to make their UI's similar over computer/tablet, xbox, and phone.

wwm0nkey

Steelyuhas said:
Windows 8 is coming out sometimes next year (mid 2012).
That would put a Windows 9 release somewhere in 2015, most likely not aligning with an Xbox release. Windows 8 and the new Xbox dashboard will already have similar UI's, as Microsoft tries to make their UI's similar over computer/tablet, xbox, and phone.
Its not similar, Windows 8 has Xbox Live which has the new Xbox UI built in lol

20u37n8.jpg

Question about the terminals for all of the series so far :

Do the Chief/Cortana/Rookie/N6 actually read/see the info in the terminals?
I.E. Does the Chief in H1 watch the terminal video on the Pillar of Autumn and is armed with this knowledge for the future?

Or is it merely for the fans, and they don't actually exist in the universe?

MrBig

Steelyuhas said:
Haha well yes.
Yeah, I was referring to the actual integration, not the Metro UI philosophy that is the new MS cornerstone and is uniting all of their devices under one UI.

feel

Ramirez said:
You still trying to collect an obscene amount of money for someone sleeping on your floor for a couple of hours? I wouldn't reply either.
:lol :lol :lol

fyrewulf never stops providing the laughs

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Zeouterlimits said:
Question about the terminals for all of the series so far :

Do the Chief/Cortana/Rookie/N6 actually read/see the info in the terminals?
I.E. Does the Chief in H1 watch the terminal video on the Pillar of Autumn and is armed with this knowledge for the future?

Or is it merely for the fans, and they don't actually exist in the universe?

That's a good question. Philosophically, I think of a player's agency in the game as kind of ghost like. When you're doing Chief stuff, being a pretty cool guy, doesn't afraiding of anything, then that's just first person agency in the game universe. But when you're reading. Terminal in anniversary, you're a ghost, haunting the game, and observing things nobody is expected to see. The Anniversary terminals give players insight into the nature of 343Guilty Spark's madness and occasionally revealing subtext and context for some of his crazier statements. The chief and even cortana, wouldn't know these things.

One of my favorite moments at TGS was watching some of the real halo fans from the press, laugh at the exact same moment in the first terminal, where it becomes apparent that Spark really does just want to help, as long as you listen to his instructions. And that's something you're definitely not 'supposed' to know.

Tashi0106 said:
Silence me in Halo and you'll silence me here

Halo 3 or Reach? :p

OuterWorldVoice said:
That's a good question. Philosophically, I think of a player's agency in the game as kind of ghost like. When you're doing Chief stuff, being a pretty cool guy, doesn't afraiding of anything, then that's just first person agency in the game universe. But when you're reading. Terminal in anniversary, you're a ghost, haunting the game, and observing things nobody is expected to see. The Anniversary terminals give players insight into the nature of 343Guilty Spark's madness and occasionally revealing subtext and context for some of his crazier statements. The chief and even cortana, wouldn't know these things.

One of my favorite moments at TGS was watching some of the real halo fans from the press, laugh at the exact same moment in the first terminal, where it becomes apparent that Spark really does just want to help, as long as you listen to his instructions. And that's something you're definitely not 'supposed' to know.

The terminals are going to be amazing. :p

Dani said:

I have always wondered how that kind of art is put together? Is it done in a 3d package or what? Looks amazing.

OuterWorldVoice said:

Ghaleon, it looks like you might finally get some information on what Spark meant here. I'm curious if we'll get to know too.

OuterWorldVoice said:

Heh, I really like the ghost-like perspective on player agency, I can see why that makes sense considering the range of options a player has and different play experiences.
Less happy that it extends to terminals(that the Chief & Cortana would know about the Didact etc, would be interesting, almost 'cute') but now I understand why.

Thank you very much for the explanation Frankie.

OuterWorldVoice said:

But HOW are the things there? And why can't they see them? Questions over questions. :p
It is a question that I thought about when I read your perfect answer. And I know it is just a game.

feel

OuterWorldVoice said:
So canonically does he live with the burden of embarrassment of that time he teabagged a high rank Elite after a particular though fight while Cortana was watching? Pretty hard to ignore the awkward up and down crotch motion over a dead alien's carcass.

How about the time he took a lone marine to a deserted beach and murdered him for grenades? Does Cortana remember that happened and lives with the inner struggle of keeping the secret to protect her friend?

edit-

v
Devolution said:
I want to hear more about this Halofest/PAX hotel room drama.
THIS. moar!

MrBig

Hypertrooper said:
But HOW are the things there? And why can't they see them? Questions over questions. :p
It is a question that I thought about when I read your perfectly answer. And I know it is just a game.
That's like asking what all the text in books besides the dialogue is

Top Bottom