• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

feel

Tashi0106 said:
I'll bet you any money I can go to each of your houses, play on your connections and still wreck shit.
The only shit you would be wrecking would be my belongings during a bloom induced fit of rage. :D

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Letters said:
The only shit you would be wrecking would be my belongings during a bloom induced fit of rage. :D

lol no way. I'd blame your ISP and the location of your country lol

aDDiKt24

Banned
Frankie on Headlong:

"It's also a great objective map and I think at this point in Reachs life span people are crying out for more of that"

Thank you Frankie. You know the truth. You are the truth.

Keep up the great work.

wwm0nkey

aDDiKt24 said:
Frankie on Headlong:

"It's also a great objective map and I think at this point in Reachs life span people are crying out for more of that"

Thank you Frankie. You know the truth. You are the truth.

Keep up the great work.
Yeah, I was pretty happy when he acknowledged that lol

Ramirez

Man, not a single person on my FL was on just now. I get on way early one night out of the month and no one's on, figures, lol.

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=800063680&player=TJ Ram

I hate objective FFA, SO MUCH. I was actively going for the hill on every spawn, and this guy magically has 20+ more seconds than me even though he went -4 and I go +31? I know we've had this particular debate before, but objectives have no place in FFA. It got 7 votes too, and I know it was just so people could get assists, lol.

ElRenoRaven

Thagomizer said:
The super brightness really kills a lot of the atmosphere. You can see it the first time in that demo when chat switches back how things that were in shadow are just a slightly darker gray now.

You can see it really well where you have to jump the pipes. In the old game? That corridor is dark and moody, like the lights have blown out. In the new? Brightly lit with some gray smudge on the ground.

That really bothers me. It seems like a small thing, but it really ruins the atmosphere. It's even worse on the 343 Guilty Spark vid from a few weeks ago, because the claustrophobia and spookiness was the entire point of that level and is completely absent from the new engine.

That terminal, though, was awesome. I love how the effort was made to completely fit in the context of the game as opposed to just a random bonus.

Yup it does. I had hoped that the lack of some darkness was due to earlier builds but each time they show it I see none of the atmospheric darkness being put back in. Like you said a prime example is when you have to jump over the pipe. Imagine those graphics with some of the lights blown out. It would look amazing. At this point I'd hate to see the library. It's probably as bright as if there was a sun shining in there. It's a shame too because the graphics otherwise are amazing.

Booshka

Ramirez said:
Man, not a single person on my FL was on just now. I get on way early one night out of the month and no one's on, figures, lol.

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=800063680&player=TJ Ram

I hate objective FFA, SO MUCH. I was actively going for the hill on every spawn, and this guy magically has 20+ more seconds than me even though he went -4 and I go +31? I know we've had this particular debate before, but objectives have no place in FFA. It got 7 votes too, and I know it was just so people could get assists, lol.
Unless respawn is 10 seconds, Objective has no place in FFA. It doesn't regardless, but if the respawn isn't 10, players can die all game and still be alive long enough to grab hill time. Also if you die you should spawn as far as possible from the Hill.

Ramirez

Booshka said:
Unless respawn is 10 seconds, Objective has no place in FFA. It doesn't regardless, but if the respawn isn't 10, players can die all game and still be alive long enough to grab hill time. Also if you die you should spawn as far as possible from the Hill.

lol at one point I was in the rock garden hill, and stood in it or danced around it for a solid 25 seconds killing everyone that came, but they were coming so fast the hill was always contested and I got 0 time for it, feels bad man.

Anyone going to play right now? Too lazy to check who's on bungie.net.

Ramirez said:
lol at one point I was in the rock garden hill, and stood in it or danced around it for a solid 25 seconds killing everyone that came, but they were coming so fast the hill was always contested and I got 0 time for it, feels bad man.

Pretty much sums up why I loathe FFAs in objective. Plus my spawns are always stupid and so far away from the ball or hill, I might as well just kill people on their way to it.

Devolution said:
Getting random images in my head of a haloGAF party house due to the conversation right now.
The best worst part is that you can actually picture what said party would look like what with all our pictures being posted.

Trasher

Ramirez said:
Bring it.
calvin_johnson_detroit_lions-160.png

senador

Banned
Ramirez said:
Going into Arena pre division ranking is some of the most fun you can have in this game. It's funny that trueskill might actually be working in the other playlists, because the people you get matched up with in Arena are on another level of bad.

True, but you also get them on your team: http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=800138728&player=SenadorKooch

Feelsbadman :(

Edit: Now I just got a dude on my team with a 873 rating and a .3 K/D. Only a Corporal. One guy quits on my team. I Dashboarded while it was still loading. Grr.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Thagomizer said:
The super brightness really kills a lot of the atmosphere. You can see it the first time in that demo when chat switches back how things that were in shadow are just a slightly darker gray now.

You can see it really well where you have to jump the pipes. In the old game? That corridor is dark and moody, like the lights have blown out. In the new? Brightly lit with some gray smudge on the ground.

That really bothers me. It seems like a small thing, but it really ruins the atmosphere. It's even worse on the 343 Guilty Spark vid from a few weeks ago, because the claustrophobia and spookiness was the entire point of that level and is completely absent from the new engine.

That terminal, though, was awesome. I love how the effort was made to completely fit in the context of the game as opposed to just a random bonus.

So PoA will be brighter in anniversary mode for sure, but that build is older and pre-lighting tweaks for that very reason. So it will actually get darker. But as someone else noted, it uses other atmospheric effects too, on top of shadow.

OuterWorldVoice said:
So PoA will be brighter in anniversary mode for sure, but that build is older and pre-lighting tweaks for that very reason. So it will actually get darker. But as someone else noted, it uses other atmospheric effects too, on top of shadow.

Good to hear, thanks Frank.

OuterWorldVoice said:

I was going to say its way toooo bright looking.. Good to know it will be darkening up, it really does kill the mood and look. Dont get me wrong, the work done looks great, just I would love to see it retain its original lighting atmosphere on top of that. Besides, thats what a flashlight is for.

Ramirez

Trasher said:
Bring it.
http://images.paraorkut.com/img/football/images/c/calvin_johnson_detroit_lions-160.png[/IM][/QUOTE]

It was brought.

[QUOTE]True, but you also get them on your team:[/QUOTE]

Just say no to randos.

OuterWorldVoice said:
He will take your pistol back.
I have a question regarding the PoA video:

Will the animations still be the same as they were in CE, or will they be somehow re-done for CEA?

It seemed like the animations of the friendly AI were the same as they once were. It looked especially weird when the marines ran around. I really don't mind either way, I was just mostly wondering if it's even possible to do new animations.

Havok

-Yeti said:
I have a question regarding the PoA video:

Will the animations still be the same as they were in CE, or will they be somehow re-done for CEA?

It seemed like the animations of the friendly AI were the same as they once were. It looked especially weird when the marines ran around. I really don't mind either way, I was just mostly wondering if it's even possible to do new animations.
I can't speak for the technical side of things, and I might be totally off-base, but in the 343GS cutscene they showed off earlier (at PAX, I guess?), the Chief had a new-looking animation for crouching down to pick up Jenkins' helmet. In CE it was just the crouch walk animation, which looked kind of ridiculous. Maybe it's just a cutscene thing.

senador said:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20946807/2a02357f.png[IMG]'

Have the shark too:
[IMG]http://i.qkme.me/295e.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Haha thanks Kooch.
[QUOTE=Letters]LMAO

Don't you have other games? Play something else and return to Halo after they make it decent.[/QUOTE]
This is really sad in a way, but I only own Halo2, ODST, Halo3, and Reach, with Combat Evolved downloaded to my hard drive... And PGR4 that came with a headset, lol.
[QUOTE=orznge]are there parts of the game you don't like I'm just curious so I can paste this when you disilke or even don't prefer a single facet of it[/QUOTE]
In all honesty, it's not a big deal. I complain a lot and I know it gets old. No ill will toward hydra or Ghal. I just got a little defensive. It would have been better if I had said, "I can't stand this game [I][B]sometimes[/B][/I]." :)

Ken

Deputy Moonman said:
This is really sad in a way, but I only own Halo2, ODST, Halo3, and Reach, with Combat Evolved downloaded to my hard drive... And PGR4 that came with a headset, lol.

Portal on PC is free.

Think I'll make a new gamertag next week and put to rest my old one thanks to Windows Live customer service making it impossible to log in to the old account. Being able to log in to an account might come in handy in the future with Windows 8's XBL features, future Microsoft consoles, and when I need to recover the account.

Anyways, any name suggestions before I just make it something Corgi related? Maybe I'll try to make it my old Xbox 1 name if the account was deleted.

Booshka

Deputy Moonman said:
You need to get an XBLA game or something to give you some reprieve from frustrating Halo.
Get Geo Wars 2 or some XBLA game that you can play for like 15-30 mins to cool down and have fun. No wonder you don't want to turn on your Xbox some days, you only have Halo to play.

PoA looked great. I didn't mind the lighting at all. I was looking at how pretty everything looked. Really awesome work 343!

And Hyper is the best. I got my grunt plushe from him today. I was still asleep when it was delivered so my dad opened the door and he was nearly gonna send it back because he didn't know about a delivery at all. The he saw that Robberster and a bell began to ring :lol

My xbox is torturing me, it now turns itself off (overheats) during Reach and Halo 3. :(

Damn you microsoft for making me consider buying a new one because of all the games coming out. I cant believe its crapped out so bad this close to the TU.

Moonman, have you tried other games? I would seriously suggest downloading some demo's/ picking up games for cheap and giving them a go. Its probably too close to the TU to bother with that now but there are some really good alternatives to Halo out there at the moment. Black Ops would scratch that FPS itch well. MW3 looks aweful though lol.

FyreWulff

bobs99 ... said:
My xbox is torturing me, it now turns itself off (overheats) during Reach and Halo 3. :(

Damn you microsoft for making me consider buying a new one because of all the games coming out. I cant believe its crapped out so bad this close to the TU.

Moonman, have you tried other games? I would seriously suggest downloading some demo's/ picking up games for cheap and giving them a go. Its probably too close to the TU to bother with that now but there are some really good alternatives to Halo out there at the moment. Black Ops would scratch that FPS itch well. MW3 looks aweful though lol.

I'm hoping my H3 360 lasts until the 320GB slim becomes a normal SKU. It usually works fine but sometimes it takes 5 minutes to get to the dash for no reason.

Then I'll put it back into the box it came in!

FyreWulff said:
I'm hoping my H3 360 lasts until the 320GB slim becomes a normal SKU. It usually works fine but sometimes it takes 5 minutes to get to the dash for no reason.

Then I'll put it back into the box it came in!

Any idea when they are planning to do that? I think ill hold off aswell if thats coming any time soon?

FyreWulff

bobs99 ... said:
Any idea when they are planning to do that? I think ill hold off aswell if thats coming any time soon?

The last time a HDD was 'exclusive' to the console bundles was the 250GB for the OG 360, I think it finally came out like the March after that holiday season as a separate drive and then slightly later as a console SKU? (going to double check now)

edit: I was at least right on the 250GB timeframe:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/250gb-xbox-360-hard-drive-now-available-for-129-99/

Booshka

FyreWulff said:
The last time a HDD was 'exclusive' to the console bundles was the 250GB for the OG 360, I think it finally came out like the March after that holiday season as a separate drive and then slightly later as a console SKU? (going to double check now)
Just wait for the Halo 4 500 GB special edition 360.

FyreWulff said:

Ah that makes it sound like it will be a fair bit away. Latest im planning to wait is the January sales, but thats only if I can squeeze the life out of the console I have now. If it totally dies I will probably get a new one soonish, hopefully bundled with a couple of the newer games coming out.

I wish my Xbox had armour lock. :(

I also wish Microsoft didnt suck so much at making consoles which dont break. My Mega drive still works ffs.

FyreWulff

Booshka said:
Just wait for the Halo 4 500 GB special edition 360.

Confession booth time:

The reason I got the Halo 3 360 was for the green color, not because it was Halo.

And it came with an awesome theme for the blades that was slaughtered in the move to NXE.

Same reason I still have my ODST controller, but I have to replace that one soon. Mic port is busted.

I actually thought a lot more H3 360s would be floating around out there, but mine was the only one lent and used at PAX08. It ended up in the tournament room and someone tried to eat my RB1 disc that came with it. The guys at PA bought me a new copy.

Also while I'm here, has anyone seen Metroidvania post since PAX? He stayed a night in our hotel room, came back for his stuff, and hasn't replied to PMs since.

Top Bottom