• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome insight. Thanks Frankie, and thanks Zeouterlimits for asking.

Devolution said:
I want to hear more about this Halofest/PAX hotel room drama.
I don't! Start a new thread in the OT, hah.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Zeouterlimits said:
Heh, I really like the ghost-like perspective on player agency, I can see why that makes sense considering the range of options a player has and different play experiences.
Less happy that it extends to terminals(that the Chief & Cortana would know about the Didact etc, would be interesting, almost 'cute') but now I understand why.

Thank you very much for the explanation Frankie.

Yeah, but that's the point, YOU know this information, but chief doesn't. It's a fairly normal cinematic or literary convention, but the gaminess adds a new aspect to it that's unique to video games.

I remember the first time I saw someone jump above the score line in Super Mario Bros., my mind was BLOWN. It just broke all the 'rules' I had been trained to expect and made that game much deeper and more magical.

And cosigned on dishing deets on hotel drama. I COMMAND IT!

MrBig said:
That's like asking what all the text in books besides the dialogue is
Nope. I know that I'm reading the book in a specific perspective. This is fixed. A game is different. I'm playing the Chief. He is me. I'm the Chief. I activate the Terminals as the Chief. So the Chief should know the existence of the terminals somehow. It is complicated to talk about it, because we are changing perspective in a game. I'm not the Chief during a cutscene. I'm just a observer. That's are my thoughts. It is going to be much more complicated, because we know that Cortana knows about the Terminals in Halo 3. And we know that she is a very curious AI.

But I guess I'm writing bullshit right now.

FyreWulff

Ramirez said:
You still trying to collect an obscene amount of money for someone sleeping on your floor for a couple of hours? I wouldn't reply either.

Considering this is my last PM to him (you can have a mod look at my PM inbox if you want):

IXGix.png

no.

Nobody owes anybody any money.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Devolution said:
I want to hear more about this Halofest/PAX hotel room drama. Also any custom's happenin' today?
This is like High School. HaloGAF even has its own cliques too lol.

GhaleonEB

Devolution said:
I want to hear more about this Halofest/PAX hotel room drama. Also any custom's happenin' today?

This is not the drama part, since I was not involved; I'll let those folks tell their side if they want. Here's my non-drama story, to toss a little chum in the water: Hitmonchan and I arranged to share a two-bed hotel room and split the cost. After we had this booked, a couple other GAFers (Domino and Metroidvania) asked to crash with us at PAX. I was fine with this, so long as they paid the incremental cost the hotel charged, which was $20 per person (the hotel was on my card). They gladly did so, and it worked out well (though poor Metroid had to sleep on the floor). It worked out fine, no drama, everyone was happy.

I asked the guys staying with us to pay the incremental cost I was incurring. If the hotel charged no extra, I likewise would have asked for nothing. I offer this as a counterpoint to the drama that may emerge, should the folks involved like to get some GAF theatrics going. Because not everyone is so charitable.

Tashi0106 said:
This is like High School. HaloGAF even has its own cliques too lol.

Human conflict isn't just retained in High School. It'd be highschool if we had a special slam book we passed around instead of just calling people out to their face.

GhaleonEB said:
This is not the drama part, since I was not involved; I'll let those folks tell their side if they want. Here's my non-drama story, to toss a little chum in the water: Hitmonchan and I arranged to share a two-bed hotel room and split the cost. After we had this booked, a couple other GAFers (Domino and Metroidvania) asked to crash with us at PAX. I was fine with this, so long as they paid the incremental cost the hotel charged, which was $20 per person (the hotel was on my card). They gladly did so, and it worked out well (though poor Metroid had to sleep on the floor). It worked out fine, no drama, everyone was happy.

I asked the guys staying with us to pay the incremental cost I was incurring. If the hotel charged no extra, I likewise would have asked for nothing. I offer this as a counterpoint to the drama that may emerge, should the folks involved like to get some GAF theatrics going. Because not everyone is so charitable.

Heh.

FyreWulff

GhaleonEB said:
Hitmonchan and I arranged to share a two-bed hotel room and split the cost. After we had this booked, a couple other GAFers (Domino and Metroidvania) asked to crash with us at PAX. I was fine with this, so long as they paid the incremental cost the hotel charged, which was $20 per person (the hotel was on my card). They gladly did so, and it worked out well (though poor Metroid had to sleep on the floor). It worked out well, no drama, everyone was happy.

Metroidvania was looking to stay a night. This was my first time sub-letting a hotel space, so I had no idea what sounded right. I asked the guy in charge of the room. I undercut that number a bit, quoted what sounded right, he agreed to it, we were both very confused, we got some money and I tried to figure out things, then I just said 'whatever' and covered the rest to the guy running the hotel room with my own money. From my end, everything's just been peachy since PAX on that front.

This is actually the first time I've heard of any drama over this :lol

Retro

GhaleonEB said:
This is not the drama part, since I was not involved; I'll let those folks tell their side if they want. Here's my non-drama story, to toss a little chum in the water: Hitmonchan and I arranged to share a two-bed hotel room and split the cost. After we had this booked, a couple other GAFers (Domino and Metroidvania) asked to crash with us at PAX. I was fine with this, so long as they paid the incremental cost the hotel charged, which was $20 per person (the hotel was on my card). They gladly did so, and it worked out well (though poor Metroid had to sleep on the floor). It worked out well, no drama, everyone was happy.

Yes, yes... but how was the sex?
KuGsj.gif

Actually, that's pretty damn nice of you to open your room to fellow GAFers, especially letting them share a room with you in which you'd be asleep. I'd be too worried they'd pull some crazy nerd habit they think everyone else does ("What do you mean you never beat it into a microwaved jar of mayonnaise before bed? It helps me sleep!") or getting my throat slit in the night for not being down with My Little Pony. Mighty charitable (and brave, I guess) of you.

Devolution said:
Human conflict isn't just retained in High School. It'd be highschool if we had a special slam book we passed around instead of just calling people out to their face.

Heh.

Private slam book/blog? i like it!

Dear blog today everyone on halogaf where sluts!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Retro said:
KuGsj.gif

Actually, that's pretty damn nice of you to open your room to fellow GAFers, especially letting them share a room with you. I'd be too worried they'd pull some crazy nerd habit they think everyone else does ("What do you mean you never beat it into a microwaved jar of mayonnaise before bed? It helps me sleep!") or getting my slit throat in the night for not being down with My Little Pony. Mighty charitable (and brave, I guess) of you.
You're a sick, sick person. o_0

And yall win, bring on the drams.

GhaleonEB

Dani said:
Your edit saved you. =P
Whew. :p

A large swath of my posts see 2-3 stealth edits, often for typos but sometimes because I think better of the original version. :lol

Devolution said:
lol This convo. Anyway I wouldn't share a room with anyone.
I don't blame you. I guess I could be more careful/paranoid but I've never had any issues sharing rooms with GAFers and PAX. It's a good way to lower costs for the trip quite a bit, and get to meet new folks. So far no unwanted sexytimes have ensued.

FyreWulff

Devolution said:
lol This convo. Anyway I wouldn't share a room with anyone.

I think the most we've ever gotten into one room is 7 or 8?

I slept on the floor for that PAX, but that's because the Sheraton carpeted floor was softer than the bed they gave us. I actually couldn't fall asleep while laying on the bed. The hell.

The last hotel this gave us a 1 bed room instead of the 2 bed they were supposed to, so they rolled out this dinky little stiff mattress for me to sleep on and still charged me for it :lol

The new metabooking company for PAX seems to not get much right.

TheOddOne

Retro said:
KuGsj.gif

Actually, that's pretty damn nice of you to open your room to fellow GAFers, especially letting them share a room with you in which you'd be asleep. I'd be too worried they'd pull some crazy nerd habit they think everyone else does ("What do you mean you never beat it into a microwaved jar of mayonnaise before bed? It helps me sleep!") or getting my throat slit in the night for not being down with My Little Pony. Mighty charitable (and brave, I guess) of you.
Dude.

Duuuuuuuude.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Just you, a Gideon bible and a face full of cats.

If only I could sneak cats in.

I've been in packed rooms before, in which I knew everyone for years. I think we fit something disgusting like 12 people into a small ass double bed room at Fanime one year. I was in a corner between a bed and a wall, and right near the bathroom. So I had people basically tripping over me all night.

Besides I bet a bunch of you snore. I can't even share rooms with my parents because they do.

Devolution said:

I've been in packed rooms before, in which I knew everyone for years. I think we fit something disgusting like 12 people into a small ass double bed room at Fanime one year. I was in a corner between a bed and a wall, and right near the bathroom. So I had people basically tripping over me all night.

Besides I bet a bunch of you snore. I can't even share rooms with my parents because they do.
Your making the assumption we want to share a room with you!.
slut:p

StalkerUKCG said:
Your making the assumption we want to share a room with you!.
slut:p

Get out, now. By the way did PAX/halofest have really long days? I didn't really hear about any lanning in hotel rooms. I mean that's what I'd do after hours. That and booze.

FyreWulff

Devolution said:
Get out, now. By the way did PAX/halofest have really long days? I didn't really hear about any lanning in hotel rooms. I mean that's what I'd do after hours. That and booze.

10am to 7pm I believe. Maybe 6.

PAX itself was open until 3am, but the expo hall / Halo Fest closed at 6/7.

neoism

Devolution said:

jesus that would have torture for me... :/ I did it once with 5 friends.... never again

Retro

I would like to amend my previous post with the following before additional hilarity ensues;

1. I have not, at any time, made love to a jar of mayonnaise, microwaved or not. I would also extend this to include any additional condiments, foodstuffs or inanimate objects. It was just the grossest strange thing I could think of on the spot. For those formerly enjoying potato salad, egg salad, or various other mayonnaise-based dishes... ewwww. That stuff is nasty even without somebody squelching their chub in it.

2. I have no idea if Hitmonchan is a guy or a girl, so I will not be responding to the underage comment but I'm pretty sure it's wrong either way. If there's Turf on the field, you must be playing Halo 2 DLC, amirite?

3. If I ever end up at a convention and bump into a GAFer, is there some secret handshake or codewords we can exchange so we can ditch my wife and split a warm jar of mayo?

Retro said:
I'd be too worried they'd pull some crazy nerd habit they think everyone else does ("What do you mean you never beat it into a microwaved jar of mayonnaise before bed? It helps me sleep!")
I read that as 'eat' first so I thought you liked eating mayonnaise... Either way, you're mighty odd!

@Retro: Don't you mean Halo 2 DLC? :p

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
GhaleonEB said:

Note to HBO: don't EVER schedule a breakfast again that makes me wake up at 5:00am. EVER.

Speaking of, I thought the way things turned out there was hilarious. All the reserved tables were next to each other in such a way that they formed a U shape. Claude was not only in the middle table, but in the middle seat and every time someone showed up, they would go straight to Claude's table and shake his hand.

I swear it was something straight out of The Godfather. Couldn't stop laughing when I put two-and-two together at that moment.

Domino Theory said:
Note to HBO: don't EVER schedule a breakfast again that makes me wake up at 5:00am. EVER.

Speaking of, I thought the way things turned out there was hilarious. All the reserved tables were next to each other in such a way that they formed a U shape. Claude was not only in the middle table, but in the middle seat and every time someone showed up, they would go straight to Claude's table and shake his hand.

I swear it was something straight out of The Godfather. Couldn't stop laughing when I put two-and-two together at that moment.

Did he make anyone an offer they couldn't refuse?

Retro

Hydranockz said:
I read that as 'eat' first so I thought you liked eating mayonnaise... Either way, you're mighty odd!

As far as I'm concerned, either act with said substance violates some kind of natural law against eating and/or fornicating with things that look like bird feces.

Hydranockz said:
@Retro: Don't you mean Halo 2 DLC? :p

Dunno what you're talking about. /whistles casually

FyreWulff

Devolution said:
Did he make anyone an offer they couldn't refuse?

I think he and Mig successfully scared the rest of the patrons by making us all yell "Halo!" as they took the group picture of all of us.

80 year old dude had the best WTFface.jpg ever.

feel

If I go next year I won't share room with any of you because I wouldn't want some halogaffer around with me planing to have constant sex throughout the weekend with a lot of random pax ladies (because of the halogaf shirt).

Retro said:
KuGsj.gif

Well.. shit. Because of this too.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Retro said:
KuGsj.gif

I was considering super-gluing all of Metroid's Leauge of Legends cards to him while he was asleep, but alas. :(

Retro

My next Forge project is totally being titled "Warm Mayo" now, just so I can enjoy the reactions when I start asking for volunteers to help me try it out.

Tunavi

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
I wish I could be at the UF/UT game with heckfu. (Sorry that didn't work out, buddy.) :^(

Any word on our first TU customs?
I'm waiting to hear back from David about my offer.

ITS 400 MS POINTS YOU'D BE CRAZY TO NOT TAKE IT DAVID

Ramirez

PsychoRaven said:
Wait there was drama that wasn't mentioned in everyone's Halofest write ups. Oh no no no spill the beans folks. Part of PAX and halofest's fun is the drama that happens too. You've all been holding out.

It wasn't really drama, I just remember Metroid telling us that FW was asking for more money on top of what he had already paid him for that night. Whether FW pursued it after the fact, I don't know. I remember everyone being in agreement that he should just ignore him, so maybe he's still holding on to our advice?

feel

FyreWulff said:
Metroidvania was looking to stay a night. This was my first time sub-letting a hotel space, so I had no idea what sounded right. I asked the guy in charge of the room. I undercut that number a bit, quoted what sounded right, he agreed to it, we were both very confused, we got some money and I tried to figure out things, then I just said 'whatever' and covered the rest to the guy running the hotel room with my own money. From my end, everything's just been peachy since PAX on that front.
Ramirez said:
It wasn't really drama, I just remember Metroid telling us that FW was asking for more money on top of what he had already paid him for that night. Whether FW pursued it after the fact, I don't know. I remember everyone being in agreement that he should just ignore him, so maybe he's still holding on to our advice?
nyv50n.jpg

FyreWulff

Ramirez said:

89NRS.gif

amidointhisrite

Top Bottom