• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm not getting Gears. I know I'll play it for a few hours and won't touch it again. I'll wait to get it for dirt cheap to play the campaign

Donthate.jpg

FyreWulff

Domino Theory said:
Who from HaloGAF is getting Gears 3?

Side note: the answer to this question will determine whether or not you have a functioning brain.

Only for Horde and Campaign until they delete the Sawed-Off from multiplayer.

MrBig

Domino Theory said:

Side note: the answer to this question will determine whether or not you have a functioning brain.
I would get it but I'd rather get BF3 after the terrible experience with GoW2 and the beta that was plagued with their own version of the Armor Lock that is the Sawed Off. I'd end up hating it as much as I do reach. I'll borrow it from someone and play the campaign.

MrBig said:
I would get it but I'd rather get BF3 after the terrible experience with GoW2 and the beta that was plagued with their own version of the Armor Lock that is the Sawed Off. I'd end up hating it as much as I do reach. I'll borrow it from someone and play the campaign.

Yeah lol I'm getting Gears, but I don't plan to play it after BF3 hits.

feel

Getting it too, have the limited edition on preorder. Mostly for campaign and coop.

FyreWulff said:
amidointhisrite
Nope. We eat the popcorn, you reply to Ram with "I never asked for this
money
"

Merguson

Banned
Domino Theory said:

Might get it depending how everyone thinks of the MP in the game.

Domino Theory said:

Here here. Although my play time will be limited since I'll be working the rest of the week. We gotta get some HaloGAF co-op and horde going sometime. And of course multiplayer.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
FyreWulff said:
89NRS.gif

amidointhisrite
That's more like it, lol.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Lotsa smart people on here, except for Tashi, as usual.

Add me if you plan to play Gears 3 Versus. GT: Oml3t

Anyways, back to Halo: does anyone know if what Frank said about how you find the first teminal going to be the way you find ALL terminals? Wouldn't that become annoying after some point to just flip back and forth between classic and current in every spot you go to in order to find the terminals? :/

PNut

Banned
Domino Theory said:

Never played a Gears of War game. So... no. Does it have a competitive MP with yelling 16 year olds, quitters, AFK'ers, and guests? If so, I might pick it up. :)

Ramirez

PNut said:
Never played a Gears of War game. So... no. Does it have a competitive MP with yelling 16 year olds, quitters, AFK'ers, and guests? If so, I might pick it up. :)

I don't think guests are in Gears of War, I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain...+1000 points if I'm right.

Ramirez said:
I don't think guests are in Gears of War, I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain...+1000 points if I'm right.
And quitters are replaced immediately by bots.

Most 16 year olds leave Gears pretty quick because of the high learning curve (to not get destroyed anyways) and stick to CoD. Like any game though, Gears has it's fair share of morons. They're just a...different breed of morons.

Woorloog

Banned
GoW3? Hmm, maybe later, for campaign, once i've finished 1 and 2.
Multiplayer? Meh. BF3 is coming. Then Halo CEA for a week or so and then i stick to BF3 again. Maybe.

Ramirez said:
Hmm, I honestly don't remember playing against them in the beta.
It does in the final game anyway, which while understandable, I say no thanks.

As for Gears 3, I've enjoyed the 2 campaigns so far (FUCKING ICE LAKE BULLSHIT), so I'm not sure. I've heard great things, but don't have a multiplayer crew to play with so..

FyreWulff

Speaking of Horde, have they said anything about being able to actually customize it from the user end? While Epic does do interesting stuff with special weekends a lot more, only they can adjust the configuration of Horde.

While Reach has a limited number of options in matchmaking, we at least have the full customization backend to play with.

Bungie's been piling on more and more options into their games over the years, while Epic seems content to keep that all behind the curtain for only themselves.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Might pick up BF3 if I can afford it but Anniversary is my only confirmed purchase for the rest of the year.

Xmas/New Year sales might have some good bargains so I'll see what's up and maybe try a few rentals before the end of the year too.

Domino Theory said:

The beta bored me. I have never understood the love for Gears multiplayer. :/

Domino Theory said:
Lotsa smart people on here, except for Tashi, as usual.

Add me if you plan to play Gears 3 Versus. GT: Oml3t

Anyways, back to Halo: does anyone know if what Frank said about how you find the first teminal going to be the way you find ALL terminals? Wouldn't that become annoying after some point to just flip back and forth between classic and current in every spot you go to in order to find the terminals? :/

Arent all Terminals confirmed to be only viewable in new mode? I seem to remember hearing that somewhere.

OT but finding just the right type for a logo of something related to electronics without wanting it to look dated in say a decade or two is tough as shit.

ElRenoRaven

urk said:
I've got new Goldsworthy hotness as my current desktop. His work just keeps getting better and better, which is incredible given the depth of his experience.

You should totally share it with all of us. lol

OuterWorldVoice said:
That's a good question. Philosophically, I think of a player's agency in the game as kind of ghost like. When you're doing Chief stuff, being a pretty cool guy, doesn't afraiding of anything, then that's just first person agency in the game universe. But when you're reading. Terminal in anniversary, you're a ghost, haunting the game, and observing things nobody is expected to see. The Anniversary terminals give players insight into the nature of 343Guilty Spark's madness and occasionally revealing subtext and context for some of his crazier statements. The chief and even cortana, wouldn't know these things.

One of my favorite moments at TGS was watching some of the real halo fans from the press, laugh at the exact same moment in the first terminal, where it becomes apparent that Spark really does just want to help, as long as you listen to his instructions. And that's something you're definitely not 'supposed' to know.

Very interesting. I never really thought about it but now I can't help but think about all the games I've played and from what perspective I should play them from.

Letters said:
So canonically does he live with the burden of embarrassment of that time he teabagged a high rank Elite after a particular though fight while Cortana was watching? Pretty hard to ignore the awkward up and down crotch motion over a dead alien's carcass.

How about the time he took a lone marine to a deserted beach and murdered him for grenades? Does Cortana remember that happened and lives with the inner struggle of keeping the secret to protect her friend?

!

ROFLMAO. I could so picture this. Shame I can't draw. It would make great fodder for some funny cartoony Halo comics.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Yeah, but that's the point, YOU know this information, but chief doesn't. It's a fairly normal cinematic or literary convention, but the gaminess adds a new aspect to it that's unique to video games.

I remember the first time I saw someone jump above the score line in Super Mario Bros., my mind was BLOWN. It just broke all the 'rules' I had been trained to expect and made that game much deeper and more magical.

And cosigned on dishing deets on hotel drama. I COMMAND IT!

Yea. I remember that too. I was a kid and had gotten an NES with Mario/Duckhunt for my birthday. I was playing Mario Brothers with my sister and jumped over the flag. It was a serious WTF moment. From that moment on I tried every damn time to do that. lol

Letters said:

Seems about right. lol

bobs99 ... said:
Arent all Terminals confirmed to be only viewable in new mode? I seem to remember hearing that somewhere.

Yup. You can only see them in new graphics. Same with Skulls.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
bobs99 ... said:

Right, but Frank said you'd notice where a terminal is if you switched between modes to catch subtle differences (like the monitors on PoA).

I won't be picking up Gears 3 right away, but I originally bought my 360 because of the original Gears hypetrain. I loved the experience with dedicated servers in the beta, but I don't really care for Gears gameplay as much these days. Gonna pick it up when it hits $20 or something like I did with 2.

Gui_PT

Speaking of Lucas,

This is worth a watch: http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag/the-people-vs-george-lucas-and-star-wars-discussion/

I have Gears 3 pre-ordered, but I'm not sure why?

I enjoy the campaigns, but the multiplayer has never grabbed me. Horde mode was fun but I never really got to deep into that either. I'm voting with my dollar for dedicated servers though. Looking forward to Gears 3 for some reason.

Also, I'll post my rendered video to keep HaloGAF interesting for another 35 seconds.

I bet he didn't expect that

heckfu

Banned
I'll get it used to play campaign, have always really enjoyed the story and mechanics. Played the beta a lot with Hyper and Sai but just cant seem to rally around their servers and weapon choices there.

PsychoRaven said:
Can Halo Avoid 'Phantom Menace' Syndrome?

It's IGN mind you so it really doesn't make much sense. It is a good question though. What does everyone else think?

Other than the stilted and overblown prequels, Star Wars is a curious example. To me Star Wars biggest problem was Anakin Skywalker, the hints at his tragic change over to the dark side were fine. In the prequels were met with this whiny, unsympathetic character and Darth Vader is forever tainted by this shit ass backstory unless you can just pretend like these movies never happened.

I don't have GoW3 preordered, but I'm probably going to get it pretty quickly after it's released. I'm giving reach a chance with the TU, though. It would be good to have two games to switch between when one is pissing me off. Also, I do have some xboxlive arcade games, but I don't play them much. (Pacman Championship edition, sonic the hedgehog, and a couple of others).
omg.kittens said:
Bah. Dumb. As long as George Lucas doesn't get his hands on the Halo franchise, it'll be safe.
agreed.

ElRenoRaven

Tashi0106 said:

Agree with your edit. Ironically though not being a hardcore Star Wars fans I liked the prequels except how Darth went from little boy to almost the same age as What's her face overnight and in the process became a whiny little bitch. Jar Jar Surprisingly didn't bother me so much.

I did love Liam Neeson as Obi Wan though. He kicked so much ass I thought.

Devolution said:
Other than the stilted and overblown prequels, Star Wars is a curious example. To me Star Wars biggest problem was Anakin Skywalker, the hints at his tragic change over to the dark side were fine. In the prequels were met with this whiny, unsympathetic character and Darth Vader is forever tainted by this shit ass backstory unless you can just pretend like these movies never happened.
Anakin :( I like to pretend the EU stuff is the only real stuff in star wars

Top Bottom