• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ads Taken, Ads Dropped

Did a very small piece on something that came to mind in light of the Deus Ex ads. Nothing too long or deep and I'd like to know what you guys think. I'll copy it over here.

The recent Deus Ex ads “controversy” got me thinking about the situation. If you don’t know what’s up with what happened there’s a large thread on NeoGAF with details here. The short version, adverts were introduced into the game a few weeks after the game shipped. The ads can only be found in the loading screens but not every loading screen will show them. They aren’t interactive – just a static image at the corner of the screen.

70737.jpg

I don’t think anyone really has a problem with adverts within video games but I think Eidos made two critical mistakes here.

Firstly the advertisement introduced after the game had launched. I have finished the game multiple times and did so before these ads started appearing. I’ll definitely go back to Deus Ex at some point in the future but right now I’m done with the game. These adverts missed by eyeball time and I haven’t had to see them at all.

Introducing them after the game was out for a while made some folks think they were being duped. Like a bait and switch. Nobody but Eidos even knew about them until they started appearing. If Eidos had been upfront about them, maybe even before the game came out, then the reaction from folks wouldn’t have been as harsh as it is.

As you can see these ad in question is for Star Wars on Blu-Ray, a brand new release arriving in shops now. It has nothing to do with Deus Ex at all. There’s a massive disconnect between it and the game itself. It seems as if the advertisers here are hoping that Deus Ex players are Star Wars fans and need a gentle reminder about the release. Not all players are going to be Star Wars fans to some players they may as well be advertising kitchen appliances or soft drinks for all they care.

If the adverts were more relevant, then maybe the audience wouldn’t be annoyed about them. Then again maybe Deus Ex isn’t best suited, as there isn’t much else in terms of the franchise itself that they could advertise.

This brings me back to Halo. I think adverts would fit well into the game if they learned carefully from the Deus Ex example.

Just like in Deus Ex, the adverts should be discreet and not-intrusive. Right now some players are complaining about ongoing “reminders” to purchase Halo Reach DLC every time they fire up the game for some online multiplayer. This “reminder” is a full screen dialogue box that must be closed by the player. It’s not quite discreet and it’s very intrusive.

I think the best place for adverts would be during the waiting time between matches. This is essentially dead time for every Halo player. There’s nothing to do but stare at screen. Some players check the previous game’s stats, others look at challenges, commendation and other information or browse the Armour but I suspect the vast majority of players simply just stare at the screen whilst talking to the buddies. A perfect captive audience.

Halo is vast and there’s always something new going on and something coming out for folks to buy. Whether it’s new Avatar items or DLC, there’s always something to advertise and sell. All of this is very relevant to Halo players.

ads.jpg

Non-intrusive and relevant, specifically targeted to the active Halo player base and grabbing the attention of a captive audience. No more complaint about forceful reminders. In the example I’ve used what I think is the best available screen real estate. The current fancy “loading” image was nice to look at for the first few games but after that it’s ignored. Sticking an advert in there is the best choice for my example. I do think the ad should be a little smaller than my example but just a bit so that it doesn’t clash too much with the playlist image.

When you’re searching for a match or in a party, you don’t want to separated from your buddies. That’s the one obvious drawback in my idea here. The advert would have to be static and non-interactive otherwise the player risks being taken away from an active gameplay session without realising it. Maybe there’s ways around that, maybe not.

So what do you guys think? Adverts will continue to appear in games in future, so I think it’s best to have a framework in place that minimises disruption to the players and maybe even helps the advertises sell their product better. If you Halo was to have (more) adverts in future, how would you like to see it handled?

ElRenoRaven

Dani said:
Ads Taken, Ads Dropped

Did a very small piece on something that came to mind in light of the Deus Ex ads. Nothing too long or deep and I'd like to know what you guys think. I'll copy it over here.

I can sum up my thoughts on ads in games very easily. Pardon my language too.

FUCK ADS IN MY FUCKING GAMES!! I pay 60 goddamn dollars for the damn thing. If you want to fill it with ads then you had better damn well cut the damn price of the thing. There is one exception which is sports games which advertising is a part of like Hockey for example.

Domino Theory said:
Same. I'm Persian and the only way you'd be able to tell is when I start speaking Farsi.
Speaking two languages is pretty sweet, though. I could carry a short 30 second conversation with someone in spanish, but nothing more, lol.

Deputy Moonman said:
Accents are the best. Growing up on the west coast of the US, I feel like i have virtually no accent, at least nothing to be proud of.

I know that feel bro. No one can place me. I used to get really tan too, so people would be confused and speak to me in all kinds of languages.

Give me a couple minutes and I SHOULD be able to stream Customs <3.

I bought this yesterday and so far I have to say I am really impressed with it. A few quirky things but honestly the capture quality is amazing so I am happy.

Deputy Moonman said:
Speaking two languages is pretty sweet, though. I could carry a short 30 second conversation with someone in spanish, but nothing more, lol.
I can talk years with someone in German. But I would prefer to speak English better. :-/

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
PsychoRaven said:

FUCK ADS IN MY FUCKING GAMES!! I pay 60 goddamn dollars for the damn thing. If you want to fill it with ads then you had better damn well cut the damn price of the thing. There is one exception which is sports games which advertising is a part of like Hockey for example.
I can't blame developers/publishers for turning down ad money. It's an additional revenue stream with very little overhead. Granted ads in games are hardly raking in billions, but there's money there for the taking.

Not only that but I can't object to a small advert in a Halo game selling me a halo product that I can buy within the same ecosystem - like avatar items or DLC or heck even a new novel (though advertising books to some Halo players makes me smile).

And it's a world away from Toyota billboards in a GTA-esque game for example, or pops up in a puzzle game selling famine hygiene products.

I think ads are becoming increasing unavoidable and I'd rather see them done right and ads aren't always useless spam, they can and do have good uses.

FyreWulff

Crucio said:
Why is everyone but me getting secret jackpots of 15000 credits lately?

Since the last one that was known, they're just in general matchmaking. There's no way to figure out which playlist is the Super Jackpot one since you can get Super Jackpots in any playlist, even when one is advertised as the primary SJW playlist.

senador

Banned
Dani said:
I can't blame developers/publishers for turning down ad money. It's an additional revenue stream with very little overhead. Granted ads in games are hardly raking in billions, but there's money there for the taking.

Not only that but I can't object to a small advert in a Halo game selling me a halo product that I can buy within the same ecosystem - like avatar items or DLC or heck even a new novel (though advertising books to some Halo players makes me smile).

And it's a world away from Toyota billboards in a GTA-esque game for example, or pops up in a puzzle game selling famine hygiene products.

I think ads are becoming increasing unavoidable and I'd rather see them done right and ads aren't always useless spam, they can and do have good uses.

I wouldn't mind if they didn't have sound and the money from the ad went back into Halo. More specifically, I'd want that money earned to go into the current multiplayer. New and more frequent maps that are also cheaper, more active playlist management, etc. Something like this could take the place of say a Halo Premium type subscription. Basically what juices will say in just a sec. They should use it to fund the multiplayer management front.

StalkerUKCG said:
my accent is so boss

Heh yeah yours is pretty bad ass.

FyreWulff

Dani said:

I'd think it would also help if the Marketplace shortcut for a game had something resembling organization. If I bring up the Marketplace link in Reach or Halo 3, I'm presented with a mountain of avatar items, themes and IGN GUIDES. You have to go digging for the actual DLC.

They need to either make that a filter that only shows Add Ons, or let you switch between categories with LB/RB in that view.

Reach does have that neat thing now where the new DLC maps show up in your customs list if you don't own them, but that only catches the people that actually play customs.

ElRenoRaven

Dani said:

Oh I don't blame them for trying to make more money. It's a business. I do however blame those that settle for it. Some like to call it a slippery slope but it is. It starts with an ad in the loading screens. Before you know it you end up starting up the game and first thing you see is please watch these messages from our sponsors while your game loads and it then streams ads like you'd watch before a movie.

It never fails too. The same thing happened with DLC. For years maps, etc were free on pc. Hell even at first on the Xbox they were free. Then comes the first paid maps. Oh it's just a couple bucks. Then comes the higher prices map pack. Oh it's just a couple more bucks. Then comes the 15 buck map packs. Oh it's just a couple more bucks. Eventually this all leads to shit like the Gears 3 skin shit of 45 bucks just for fucking skins.

Hell same with XBLA games. They started at 400 and 800 points max and over time 1200 to 1600 is the norm. Everytime though everyone just bends over and accepts it.

So yea it's nothing now but eventually it won't be. All while prices keep going up.

Gui_PT said:
Star Wars EP III is on TV, can't join customs

Which channel?

Gui_PT said:
Clearly my accent is the best

Your accent is bad ass.

PsychoRaven said:
Oh I don't blame them for trying to make more money. It's a business. I do however blame those that settle for it. Some like to call it a slippery slope but it is. It starts with an ad in the loading screens. Before you know it you end up starting up the game and first thing you see is please watch these messages from our sponsors while your game loads and it then streams ads like you'd watch before a movie.

It never fails too. The same thing happened with DLC. For years maps, etc were free on pc. Hell even at first on the Xbox they were free. Then comes the first paid maps. Oh it's just a couple bucks. Then comes the higher prices map pack. Oh it's just a couple more bucks. Then comes the 15 buck map packs. Oh it's just a couple more bucks. Eventually this all leads to shit like the Gears 3 skin shit of 45 bucks just for fucking skins.

Hell same with XBLA games. They started at 400 and 800 points max and over time 1200 to 1600 is the norm. Everytime though everyone just bends over and accepts it.

So yea it's nothing now but eventually it won't be. All while prices keep going up.

Yeah sadly I agree with all of this.

Dani said:

Spaceballs-flamethrower.jpg

"Merchandising, merchandising, merchandising".

Your idea is the best I'd say... That or something like...

PDVD_010.jpg

ElRenoRaven

Oh and on the subject It's more then just on the loading screens.

"I also can’t finish up this preview without mentioning that during my time playing Human Revolution, I spotted an advertisement for McDonald’s Chicken McBites plastered across an overpass in the future city of Detroit. It was the Australian advertisement and everything, with Shane Warne’s face hidden behind a packet of chickeny goods, and labelled with the Australian price. When I went back again to take a screenshot, it had changed to an advertisement for Adidas sports instead, indicating that whatever server was up and running delivering these ads was already working quite well. We’ve contact the Australian distributors, Namco Bandai, for further clarification on how these in-game ads will work, and will let you know once we receive a response."

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/22/deus-ex-human-revolution-has-in-game-advertising/

Now back on topic. Can I haz Customs time yet? lol

GhaleonEB

Devolution said:
I don't know if it'd work all that well (separating people). Part of the fun of customs for me is 16 people in a room, lately though people are much too quite and competitive (I do this too, not sayin' I'm exceptional).
Adding to this, I love GAF customs when they're not taken too seriously, but are for fun. I haven't played customs in a long while. One of the last times I played I got out DMR'd in a Slayer game and the guy said some variation of "hey Ghaleon, go suck more," after. The fun, good natured of spirit of customs was gone, in favor of donging. Not fun at all. I left after and haven't really been back since.

This isn't aimed at any one person, just commenting on GAF customs in general. 8 v 8 games tend to be a bit more light hearted and chaotic, while 4v4 turn into very competitive games quickly. Different folks on GAF want different things out of them so it's impossible to please everyone, so maybe there's some merit to splitting them up. I'd suggest just doing an alternation of wacky/serious game types to keep it fresh and so lots of people can hang out together.

Gui_PT

GhaleonEB said:
This isn't aimed at any one person, just commenting on GAF customs in general. 8 v8 games tend to be a bit more light hearted and chaotic, while 4v4 turn into very competitive games quickly. Different folks on GAF want different things out of them so it's impossible to please everyone, so maybe there's some merit to splitting them up. I'd suggest just doing an alternation of wacky/serious game types to keep it fresh and so lots of people can hang out together.

That used to be my main interest in Halo 3 customs.

Your idea is supported.

StalkerUKCG said:
im deeply upset at the lack of appriciation for my accent, damn you gui i challege you to some kind of verbal face off

I think my Texas accent and Hypertrooper accent are more appreciated than my own English accent.

Let us fight.

ElRenoRaven

Gui_PT said:
That used to be my main interest in Halo 3 customs.

Your idea is supported.

I agree with both of you. The constant DMR super serious stuff can get old. It's still fun most of the time due to the conversations but sometimes it does get tiresome too.

It will be a lot of fun today. I promise. Songs I'll definitely sing are Journey Don't stop believing and Dude with freaky hair Never Ending Story. And as a special bonus: Faking Grenadez may be back. Will be online in 1-2hour(s).

GhaleonEB said:
Adding to this, I love GAF customs when they're not taken too seriously, but are for fun. I haven't played customs in a long while. One of the last times I played I got out DMR'd in a Slayer game and the guy said some variation of "hey Ghaleon, go suck more," after. The fun, good natured of spirit of customs was gone, in favor of donging. Not fun at all. I left after and haven't really been back since.

This isn't aimed at any one person, just commenting on GAF customs in general. 8 v 8 games tend to be a bit more light hearted and chaotic, while 4v4 turn into very competitive games quickly. Different folks on GAF want different things out of them so it's impossible to please everyone, so maybe there's some merit to splitting them up. I'd suggest just doing an alternation of wacky/serious game types to keep it fresh and so lots of people can hang out together.

I think Halo 3 customs got the perfect balance in terms of mixing it up. You cant just play suer serious customs all night and on the same token it wouldnt be fun to just play wacky customs all night. I loved how a serious match could turn wacky about halfway through.

I also loved the serious matches that where serious the whole way through.

I feel though that in Reach playing 'seriously' is the same as playing to take the fun out of the game. Last time I played Reach customs people where camping in rocks with snipers and camo. And people where camping with shotguns, and rockets and sprinting double meleeing etc. I miss how with Halo 3 playing seriously didnt mean cheesing the game.

Booshka

Proper Adaption is called "Cheesing" now?

j/k if there are people camping with invis sniper or shotgun Armor Lock in a Custom Game, the game needs to be ended immediately to play better settings.

Booshka said:
Proper Adaption is called "Cheesing" now?

j/k if there are people camping with invis sniper or shotgun Armor Lock in a Custom Game, the game needs to be ended immediately to play better settings.

Haha, to be fair you could cheese it up in Halo 3 aswell. But GAF customs seemed like a nicer place back then and people seemed more sporting. Reach literally encourages the cheese.

I want a cheeseburger.

Booshka

bobs99 ... said:
Haha, to be fair you could cheese it up in Halo 3 aswell. But GAF customs seemed like a nicer place back then and people seemed more sporting. Reach literally encourages the cheese.

I want a cheeseburger.
esq-in-n-out-burger-080709-lg-45867371.jpg

Striker

Reach can't encourage the cheese if the leader of the party picks appropriate loadouts and map variants. For example taking the snipers off a map, or Sword.

There's poor sporting in any game custom. I didn't even play much Halo 3 customs but when I did I remember there were at least five or six people camping middle in Valhalla just spawn killing those at base (which is Valhalla's specialty). Players on the other team were getting mad, and one just teabagged the others if he were lucky enough to get a kill.

Im so bored id player team headhunter with hammers and splazers armour lock/dropshield starts on chiron tl34, isolation and utah mambo on loop. :(.

Laying in a bed with a crappy laptop watching crappy phone in a bet roulett on tv in an uncomftable bed dogsitting the loudest and most lively dog thats ever been born missing my gf, and my command station and customs :(.

Save me haloGAF

/blog

Edit, id even play with HLG and KSI BK's

Just wanted to pop in and say I just saw the goddamn Batman here at ACLfest (squeeeee!). I shall now go back to my contact high and Cee Lo.

.…and to keep it Halo-related, I see nothing Halo-related here. :p

Hey You

PsychoRaven said:

Agreed, except if its for DLC for the game the ads on in like dani proposed then I think it would be fine.

Top Bottom