• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Ken

Domino Theory said:
Who from HaloGAF is getting Gears 3?

I will be on day 1, as long as Amazon comes through.

Devolution said:
Speaking of this, Ken needs to draw MC with popcorn.

Been awhile since I tried coloring anything.

0be69e4b.png

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Tunavi said:
MLG IS NOT BUNGIE GOD DAMNIT.

lolz. but seriously, play AR/Armor lock starts or BTB with the banshee and tell me Bungie is awesome.
Yeah, it's sad, but I have to agree. Reach did a lot of things right, but the glaring design faults bump it down from "awesome" tier. My blind faith in Bungie is long gone -- the big question, though, is can they earn it back? I hope so. I can't wait to see what Destiny is all about.

MrBig

Tunavi said:
literally the minute Zero Bloom goes up
When the 85% gt is available I'll be making Team Tactical. I've already edited a few maps for it.
I'll host a customs the week after it comes out to play it. Maybe I'll make a limited version with lives.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tunavi said:

lolz. but seriously, play AR/Armor lock starts or BTB with the banshee and tell me Bungie is awesome.

MLG exists because of Bungie

Risen

Tashi0106 said:
I'm not getting Gears. I know I'll play it for a few hours and won't touch it again. I'll wait to get it for dirt cheap to play the campaign

Donthate.jpg

Awwww... beta was awesome - and I hated the first two (multiplayer)... buy it nubcake.

xxjuicesxx said:
GoW has guests.

I think I remember playing against guests in the 3 beta...

Not in ranked

neoism

Tunavi said:

Bungie will always be awesome. Shame on you Tunavi.. .you stopped b3Li3v3inG

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tunavi said:
oh. customs should be games of 4v4. Enough of this 8v8 shit.

There's usually a high demand and more than 8 folks that show up.

If we split the group of 16 into two groups of 8, then folks will want to stay with their buddies, and either one party will be oversubscribed or under balanced. Or all the regular members will stick to one party and the newer members will have to stick with the other.

It's not always easy.

Customs should be starting in 2 hours.

I worry about their next game if it truly is an MMO. The task of balancing those is ridiculous and if Reach is an indicator of their efforts to balance things out, things don't look good. But suddenly loadouts make sense for once in my brain. Testing for their next game.

Dani said:

If we split the group of 16 into two groups of 8, then folks will want to stay with their buddies, and either one party will be oversubscribed or under balanced. Or all the regular members will stick to one party and the newer members will have to stick with the other.

It's not always easy.

Cool Dani, thanks for putting up with our shit and runnin' these.

Tunavi

Banned
Look, I love Bungie, and they spoiled us with the greatest multiplayer balance on the market for years.

Then Reach comes out with Bungie's new philosophy of overpowered weapons countering other overpowered weapons.

and Dani, I meant multiple games of 4v4. 8v8 just isn't fun, so count me out if you're doing 8v8.

ElRenoRaven

Dani said:

It's not always easy.

Grr. Damn dirty double posting SOB. I suck. lol

hmm. I might come and handicap a team tonight if there is room. I've been neglecting my Halo playing lately. lol

And damn speaking off I think I'm going to go play some single player. It's been awhile since I've played some

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Tunavi said:
and Dani, I meant multiple games of 4v4. 8v8 just isn't fun, so count me out if you're doing 8v8.

I know what you meant and that's why I explained why it's difficult. I'm sure if folks are up for it we could try experimentally splitting the party up at some point if we can do so in a way that everyone's happy with and it's balanced. Nothing wrong with giving it a try just wanted to explain why it wasn't done before.

GAF Customs generally has neve split the party into smaller groups except for a handful of occasions over many years past.

I'm going to make an Elite version sometime this weekend for when any covenant debate starts coming up.

"I think Skirmish on Boardwalk should be in all playlists!"
elitepopcorn.jpg

"Arbiter in Halo 4? There's no way they can justify that, stick to entirely new characters"
elitepopcorn.jpg

"Y U SO TALL ELITE MODELS"
elitepopcorn.jpg

Dani said:
I know what you meant and that's why I explained why it's difficult. I'm sure if folks are up for it we could try experimentally splitting the party up at some point if we can do so in a way that everyone's happy with and it's balanced. Nothing wrong with giving it a try just wanted to explain why it wasn't done before.

GAF Customs generally has neve split the party into smaller groups except for a handful of occasions over many years past.

I don't know if it'd work all that well (separating people). Part of the fun of customs for me is 16 people in a room, lately though people are much too quite and competitive (I do this too, not sayin' I'm exceptional). I just don't think it would hurt to have more slayer variants on smaller maps and maps that work. Big Team maps in Reach bore me to tears ( I hope I'm not the only one?), even against fellow GAFFers. (Non) Epic journeys of scouting out people to kill.

Tunavi

Banned
Dani said:

yeah, I'm not trying to run the show here. I was just making suggestions

2 separate lobbies of 4v4 would be best IMO

Ken

Is it bad that I have more fun when the customs party dies down and heads into matchmaking than the actual customs?

feel

Domino Theory said:
Right, but Frank said you'd notice where a terminal is if you switched between modes to catch subtle differences (like the monitors on PoA).
Some stuff will just stand out as very different in the new layer itself and you will approach it by intuition looking for an interaction prompt, maybe switching back to classic mode to justify the suspicion if you don't remember a thing about the area. Switching back and forth all the time won't help that much considering most of the game looks very different between the two layers as far as I've seen.

Tunavi said:

See this is similar to my thoughts. I have my own theory on why people enjoy Reach. There are the people who have the fortune of playing with a group of people on a consistent basis and get to absolutely destroy randoms. Then there are the players who have never been as good as the more competitive players at Halo and enjoy the slow kill times, influx of power weapons, and armor abilities in Reach, which let them live longer than they've ever been able to survive before (i'm looking at you Armor Lock). Then you have Tashi who has an amazing connection and a group of really talented teammates that he plays with all the time. That's nothing against him, but that is an extremely rare case and more of an outlier scenario.

The biggest fault of Reach is the disadvantage it created with randoms having no ability to defend themselves or compete without additional help (teammates, power weapons, etc.). A game should not be designed so that randoms can't defend themselves. That's a massive flaw. Everyone can talk about how they enjoy the game and have fun, but I'm guessing most of you fall into one of the 2 categories above. Maybe not all, but most of you. To get away from this problem, I might go into BTB, but I can't stand BTB in Reach, and I don't enjoy invasion, either.

I highly desire that randoms only playlist. Have a guests playlist and a randoms only playlist which is a combination of slayer and objective games. Voting can decide what people want to play.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Devolution said:
I don't know if it'd work all that well (separating people). Part of the fun of customs for me is 16 people in a room, lately though people are much too quite and competitive (I do this too, not sayin' I'm exceptional). I just don't think it would hurt to have more slayer variants on smaller maps and maps that work. Big Team maps in Reach bore me to tears ( I hope I'm not the only one?), even against fellow GAFFers. (Non) Epic journeys of scouting out people to kill.
When I first joined GAF and played in the customs, it was just a room of 16 people not talking. It really weirded me out. After a while though we would just make fun of Dax

<3

Tunavi

Banned
Ken said:
Is it bad that I have more fun when the customs party dies down and heads into matchmaking than the actual customs?
Yes, thats why I'm suggesting the multiple 4v4 games for a change

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ken said:
Naw, I usually do, too. The only thing I like more about customs is that it's typically more balanced skill wise. In matchmaking we almost always destroy the other team. :lol

And the crazy ass weirdo custom gametypes are fun sometimes, too.

Tashi0106 said:
When I first joined GAF and played in the customs, it was just a room of 16 people not talking. It really weirded me out. After a while though we would just make fun of Dax

<3

When I first joined the customs were very lively. And there was even some interesting forge maps we played on. Maybe everyone is just burnt out on Reach I dunno.

Retro

Dani said:

I haven't gotten a message back from Zoolader yet, but I don't think he'll mind if we try his High Ground remake/retooling. Would you guys mind slipping it into customs?

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23469118&player=Zoolader

I'll try to make it to customs but they tend to fill up rather quickly and I don't have all of the DLC. If you guys get around to testing it and either of us isn't there, maybe save the video or post some impressions? I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

Edit: Might want to stick to slayer; not sure if Zoo set up objectives or is just using placeholders. The weapon placement might also be a little off as well.

Maybe there should be two rooms but not both as 4v4/5v5. People who want small competitive scrims in say Tunavi's room (not saying you have to), and people who just want some bigger team shenanigans in Dani's. If there are more than 16 it would also help.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Plywood said:
Reach is a good game but a mediocre Halo. I'm sure the TU will change that.

Only two scenarios currently happen in Reach:

1) You go into MLG and get your face smashed in.
2) You smash other peoples' faces in every other playlist with 90% of said games ending because the other team quit.

Nothing else happens.

Domino Theory said:

2) You smash other peoples' faces in every other playlist with 90% of said games ending because the other team quit.

Nothing else happens.

Happens to me all of the time. Shit or be shit on. Sigh.

Retro

I think I'll definitely try to be on for Customs, even though I don't have all the DLC. I can jump between groups based on what maps are being played or sit out accordingly.

And, as usual, I will casually suggest we try my terrible new map.

Tashi0106 said:

<3

Oh god yeah, I dont think anyone likes my accent or at least doesn't understand it so I gave up talking when Gaf has a huge party going. Seemed like no one knew what I was saying lol.

Gotta say, my accent is messed up. Its like a mix of London and Up-Northian, so people even in london dont know where the hell im from.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Domino Theory said:

Nothing else happens.
This, except I do pretty good in MLG(when I've played) despite not knowing much of the callouts and such. Not really a fan of the higher movement speed + bloom also the forge maps are so, so, then again I have a general disdain for the shades of grey.

bobs99 ... said:
Oh god yeah, I dont think anyone likes my accent or at least doesn't understand it so I gave up talking when Gaf has a huge party going. Seemed like no one knew what I was saying lol.

Gotta say, my accent is messed up. Its like a mix of London and Up-Northian, so people even in london dont know where the hell im from.
Accents are the best. Growing up on the west coast of the US, I feel like i have virtually no accent, at least nothing to be proud of.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Deputy Moonman said:
Accents are the best. Growing up on the west coast of the US, I feel like i have virtually no accent, at least nothing to be proud of.

Same. I'm Persian and the only way you'd be able to tell is when I start speaking Farsi.

Top Bottom