• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

PooBone

reggie said:
And you know what? I'm not far from completely agreeing with you. I just think no matter which sandbox you take its never going to be perfect, though I still think Halo 2s was best.
ewww. That sword, those SMGs.... no.

Map design was amazing though.

Gui_PT

It's quite clear that after 5 and a half OT's, you people will never be happy.

Ever.

About anything.

Even when no bloom comes you'll complain.

Please folks, try to enjoy life! PLEASE!!

PooBone

Devin Olsen said:
This is very much an opinion, so please do not state it as a fact.

Halo:CE multi-player was as close to perfection as Halo has ever come. I enjoyed it immensely and have put countless hours into it. Every single time I go back and play CE MP I am reminded how bad the rest of the Halo games are in comparison. For me the Pistol IS a main reason why I love the game so much. It is balanced perfectly and makes the game an incredible amount of fun. Perhaps for those less skilled players the Pistol was not all that great, but please do not try and tell me that Halo:CE MP is good 'despite' the Pistol.
I pretty much disagree. The pistol fits within the sandbox (the best sandbox of all of the Halo games, I do agree), but if it was a 4 shot kill or a 5 shot kill instead of 3, the game would still be amazing.

Striker

PooBone said:
ewww. That sword, those SMGs.... no.

Map design was amazing though.
Sword needed a battery, but it at least was considered a power weapon.

Map design was the best of the series, no doubt.

Steelyuhas said:
People seem to think of the Pistol by picturing it just thrown into H2, H3, or Reach. The CE pistol was nearly perfect, for CE. That sandbox was built around a balance that worked excellently with that as the starting weapon. Does that mean it would work well just thrown into another Halo game? Not necessarily, but that doesn't diminish the excellence of the pistol at all, it was just a game made for a certain game.

Of course, that's exactly what 343 is going to do with the "CE Magnum" in Anniversary gametypes lol, which I am in no way upset about.

Then you had the sequels shoving ARs (OR LOL SMG H2) down our throats, just not getting it.

Gui_PT

reggie said:
A perfect remake of Halo 2 in HD would make me shut up.

No it wouldn't.

Trounce was right, guys!

trounce.png

Devolution said:
Then you had the sequels shoving ARs (OR LOL SMG H2) down our throats, just not getting it.

Yeah I still to this day do not understand SMG/AR starts, and intentionally dividing the game up into SMG or AR starts vs. BR or DMR starts. I feel it is only a negative thing for the game, and makes the job of a playlist manager almost impossible.

Striker

reggie said:
I disagree about the sword being overpowered. It had limited range which meant that, yes, people would camp with it, but if you didn't run into it it was fine. Basically I'm saying it was easily avoidable.
For as much as people here shit on dual wielding, it destroyed a sword in close range unless the Sword has the jump.

reggie said:
I disagree about the sword being overpowered. It had limited range which meant that, yes, people would camp with it, but if you didn't run into it it was fine. Basically I'm saying it was easily avoidable.

The lunge on the sword was ridiculous.

Devin Olsen said:
So I am trying to show my friend gameplay on the custom Halo:CE maps (the ones modders have made). Though I am failing terribly.... Does anyone have any links to videos with the custom Halo 1 maps?

Thanks
I guess you missed MrBig's post:
MrBig said:
Wow, I missed this thread http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?23825-The-Halo-PC-Engine

It's really cool to see 343 looking at the amazing community talent that still exists. I hope what they are able to bring to the table is considered by both 343 and Bungie in their community tools for their next games.
A lot of awesome stuff IMO.

Crucio

Hypertrooper said:
Today I got the new version of the Halo Encyclopedia. The book is massive and it has many awesome arts. (
I even didn't see them before.
) I haven't read any text yet, but I guess if I start the Forerunner stuff, I'm going to re-read Cryptum again.

Other stuff: Damn. Amazon still hasn't the Grunt Funreal skull and Master Chief Avatar costume as a pre-order bonus. I hope they will get it. I really want the english version of Anniversary at day-1, but I want the pre-order stuff, too.

OH god, don't tell me there is a re-RE-release of the Encyclopedia!: Oct 3rd Release Date on Amazon.

I think the worst thing about transitioning into Halo 2 onward (and the reason why I didn't for the longest time) was the lowered crosshair that was at odds with the last decade of me playing FPSes. It's still disorienting going back into a Halo game other than CE after not playing it for a while.

Just what was the deal with that design choice anyway?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Gui_PT said:

Ever.

About anything.

nbIkv.gif

Booshka

wwm0nkey

Yay my TV screen burn in is almost completely now! A few more White screens and it should be gone for good.

I am up for some Halo if anyone is on :D

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
A27 Tawpgun said:
I wouldn't mind it coming back as a 5 shot kill while having the rifle be 4 shots. Rifle will kill faster and more people per mag, pistol is zoom capable starting weapon, can kill 2 people will PERFECT aim.

No bloom.
Ship it.

So excited for the TU. And the bulletin tomorrow! Should shed some light on pre-beta TU implementation.

Hypertrooper said:
What is the easiest and fastest Golden Elite to find? I only have one hour to play today. :/
Winter Contingency for me. Run through everything, take the right path once you get a vehicle, run over the BoB that's hanging out with two Skirmishers.

Hypertrooper said:
What is the easiest and fastest Golden Elite to find? I only have one hour to play today. :/

Rally point Alpha of Winter Contingency, get in the vehicle and just drive, if you follow the path there will be a gold elite near the end where the marines normally are holding the building.

It isnt a straight path but the only fork I can remember is about a min into driving theres a fork with a building on the left and on the right a view of a big iron bridge, go left there and then continue following the path.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Rickenslacker said:
Winter Contingency for me. Run through everything, take the right path once you get a vehicle, run over the BoB that's hanging out with two Skirmishers.
You can just start at Rally Point Alpha, too. Saves you a few minutes.

Edit: Oops, didn't see the post above, hah.

omg.kittens said:
You can just start at Rally Point Alpha, too. Saves you a few minutes.

Edit: Oops, didn't see the post above, hah.
Tried that earlier, he didn't seem to spawn. Starting the mission from the beginning worked though. Guess I was doing it wrong?

Hypertrooper said:
Nightfall. Just keep running through the level as you would during a speed run until the first large encounter. The one with all the Ranger Elites hopping across the rooftops. Run to the very back and to the far left and you should reach a dead end with a broken bridge. There's your ticket.

Recarpo

Rickenslacker said:
I think the worst thing about transitioning into Halo 2 onward (and the reason why I didn't for the longest time) was the lowered crosshair that was at odds with the last decade of me playing FPSes. It's still disorienting going back into a Halo game other than CE after not playing it for a while.

Just what was the deal with that design choice anyway?

I always thought it was to make the gun not block as much as the screen, at least that's what I remember reading at some point.

wwm0nkey

I love when everyone votes for classic rifles but it decided to play Classic Assault on a completely different map that wasn't even on the voting list.

ElRenoRaven

I may be late to this arguement and not around for long before I hit the bike but I totally agree with Frankie on this one. Most of the people I played with never used the pistol worth a damn yet it was awesome fun. Even when the pistol was used I found it damn easy to combat them with any other weapon as long as I kept moving and I don't mean in a straight line to them.

When I think of Halo 1 I honestly think of 3 things before I even think of pistol. Those are Assault Rifle, Sticky grenades, Warthog. The reasons are simple. The first I think of because it's a beast in campaign and at the same time damn good in multiplayer if you bothered to feather the trigger at distances. The second is obvious isn't it? Who doesn't love sticking someone with a sticky? The last one is because the Warthog is just the most fun vehicle to drive and tool around in. It comes in just above the Ghost and Chopper in my opinion.

So yea substitute all this rambling for what Frankie said if it makes no sense. lol

Gui_PT

Hypertrooper said:

Winter Contingency, Heroic, Rally Point Alpha.

Take the 1st left after the bridge through the house, and go down to the river. Before you get to the river, make your way up back to the house. Elite should be coming your way.

This works for me 90% of the time. Took 3 minutes to get done.

Edit: I don't see anything in that image. Anyone mind saying what it is?

feel

GhaleonEB said:
They've been busy changing Reach though, and the changes are for the better. And if you extrapolate the direction each change moves in, they lead to good things. I hope.
Agreed, it's been nothing but good signs in all the little changes.

I meant the satisfying feel of the game, when you walk, when you change direction, when you jump, when you fall, when you aim, when you bump into something, the visual and aural feedback to every action, the clarity. It all feels not quite right in Reach, like from a competing game that just focused on copying the surface and couldn't quite figure out what made it click underneath, I hope that warm Halo feel returns in Halo 4 as a result of their time with CEA.

OuterWorldVoice said:
I loved Halo CE before I discovered the pistol. In fact, one of our colleagues was actually making the game suck by not revelaing the "secret" of the pistol. And this was true for LOTS of people (loving it before knowing how to use pistol properly) so I reject the idea that it had any massive impact on an already excellent game. Certain levels changed noticably, for sure, but it was still all there, IMO. Pistol or no pistol.
10wru4k.jpg

Good man.

Gui_PT said:

Ever.

About anything.

WTF IS THIS BULLSHIT GET OUT

MrBig

Recarpo said:
I always thought it was to make the gun not block as much as the screen, at least that's what I remember reading at some point.
Yeah, the origins were completely re-worked after H1. All of the projectiles had to spawn from the bipeds head because the reticules was centered in the players FOV. Now it's inline with the gun and the origins do take up less screenspace.

Top Bottom