• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

heckfu

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
So good.

I've been in sonic bliss the past few weeks with the Chili Peppers' 'I'm With You' and a friend of mine turned me onto Foster the People's 'Torches'.

foster the people are the greatest new band, IMO. saw them at lollapalooza (WITHOUT SAI BECAUSE HE BAILED) and they absolutely JAMMED.

YTCx6.jpg

sorry for the giant OT img.

Tunavi

Banned
heckfu said:
foster the people are the greatest new band, IMO. saw them at lollapalooza (WITHOUT SAI BECAUSE HE BAILED) and they absolutely JAMMED.
Awolnation is another great new band, more than just sail. they blew me away at ACL, bought their album, I'm hooked

feel

I've been avoiding touching Halo CE campaign for a while so that playing CEA feels extra special, but in a moment of weakness played 20 minutes of AOTCR just now. Yep, still best game ever and still light-years better than the completely different looking/playing/feeling sequels.

*shuts down console abruptly, wishes CEA was coming out tomorrow to resume playing*

Letters said:
I've been avoiding touching Halo CE campaign for a while so that playing CEA feels extra special, but in a moment of weakness played 20 minutes of AOTCR just now. Yep, still best game ever and still light-years better than the completely different looking/playing/feeling sequels.

*shuts down console abruptly, wishes CEA was coming out tomorrow to resume playing*
I can't wait to see the Anniversified Two Betrayals.

Steelyuhas said:
Too true.

Needler Rifle is sexy. Gave me my Unfriggenbelievable.

Its supposed to be in Classic because the added strength of Classic, and the fact bloom effects it less means its more like an older precision rifle.

FyreWulff said:
Been confirmed multiple times that the power of the multiplayer pistol was a bug, they beefed it up for campaign in the last hours and didn't have time to go back and fix it for multiplayer.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28890311&postcount=2559
Urk never mentioned that it was for the campaign in the post, but it's possible. Personally, I'll always believe that it was just for the awesome, even if Jason Jones publicly says otherwise to set the record straight. Halo would not have been Halo without that pistol being a wonder weapon.
kylej said:
Please tell me you saw Ryanoob's ridiculous 1v1 against Goofy last night. Global recorded it and uploaded it a few hours ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQFVt7GzH_Qa&t=0m48s starts at 50 seconds in case the time stamp doesnt work

the blains are biblical
Even without the predictable spawns, this is what I dislike about Halo nowadays. It's always a devolution into someone picking up the sniper rifle and going to town. People can say what they want, but there's almost no way to counter it. Such an awful implementation of weapon balance. In fact, it's absolutely horrid.
slow regular weapon kill times equal a massive imbalance in the weapon sandbox since power weapons have never been nerfed and are more plentiful than ever on each map
bobs99 ... said:
Exterminations... These cant be anywhere close to the best of the bunch?

http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/intel/fe...inations/b7b0122e-566e-4a8c-9217-8708c0e47c2d

I mean the double exterm at the end only happened because of the fact 3 enemies spawned literally right in front of him, directly where he was looking. I would have been a lot more impressed if he anticipated the spawns and went running to it, rather than carried on walking forward and just shot rockets lol.

I pulled of a extermination with a couple of nades on sword base, I was actually more like wtf than proud of it, and yet this video seems to be full of 5 of those kinds of exterms. I have yet to see one which hasnt required extreme use of explosives. Someone must have a elegant extermination on Reach right? I know the MLG playlist would lend itself to something which looks better.
those are the most pathetic exterminations that i've ever seen. I've only ever gotten one and i thought mine was bad. It's all about the power weapons and vehicles :( The only other way is to get extremely lucky or to have a good team that is making all of the opposing team one shot kills.

FyreWulff

Deputy Moonman said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28890311&postcount=2559
Urk never mentioned that it was for the campaign in the post, but it's possible. Personally, I'll always believe that it was just for the awesome, even if Jason Jones publicly says otherwise to set the record straight. Halo would not have been Halo without that pistol being a wonder weapon.

Jones would have been adjusting it for campaign.

Here's an interview with one of the two guys that worked on Halo 1 multi:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20533

FyreWulff said:
Jones would have been adjusting it for campaign.

Here's an interview with one of the two guys that worked on Halo 1 multi:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20533

Didn't you listen to the Sparkcast with Jaime Griesemer that someone posted when you brought this up? He specifically said that someone changed it with multiplayer in mind because he was 'horrified' with what he played, so he doubled the damage and made it so they couldn't change it back (at least what they could realistically change at that point). Coinciding with Urk's statement, and it was probably Jones.

Total side note: How are you still a Junior?!

lybertyboy said:
Give or take depending on my sleep-deprived brain.

The fine folks on Live actually handle the distribution.

I was amazed when I heard that people actually manually push out updates and content to Xbox Live instead of an automated system.

Random image/gif:
funny-gifs-damn-bikers.gif

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Steelyuhas said:
I was amazed when I heard that people actually manually push out updates and content to Xbox Live instead of an automated system.

Random image/gif:
funny-gifs-damn-bikers.gif
I wouldn't stay up if you're waiting on the gametype.

We're going to hold back the gametype for a bit to ensure that the update is going out smoothly to everyone.

FyreWulff

Steelyuhas said:
Didn't you listen to the Sparkcast with Jaime Griesemer that someone posted when you brought this up? He specifically said that someone changed it with multiplayer in mind because he was 'horrified' with what he played, so he doubled the damage and made it so they couldn't change it back (at least what they could realistically change at that point). Coinciding with Urk's statement, and it was probably Jones.

Total side note: How are you still a Junior?!

No, I don't listen to podcasts anymore. I fall asleep halfway into th*zzzzzzzzz*. Last one I listened to was the last Bungie podcast.

Seriously though, I had to stop after everyone started doing 2-3 hour podcasts. I had to edit a podcast once and it started running 4 hours for each episode almost. I had to put my foot down and force them to exert some directorial control.

T-minus one hour until I can run my test(s)

blamite

It's 3 A.M.. Update out yet? :p

Hopefully we'll get the preview gametype at some point today??? And hopefully there will be customs I can join? :D

lybertyboy said:

We're going to hold back the gametype for a bit to ensure that the update is going out smoothly to everyone.

I didn't mean tonight, but sometime today (21st).

I'm certainly not staying up tonight haha, about to give up on this absolutely staggering pile of notes.

Booshka

Return to Forever at the Greek Theater was amazing tonight, and Zappa plays Zappa opened for them, and they were amazing as well. Nearly 4 hours of fantastic music. Oh, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was there to introduce and send off RtF. He made the band members look like children lol.

I was doing this ear cup thing my dad taught me and it makes the sound so crisp and clear, even when you are way in the back. A couple people looked at me like I was an idiot with my hands cupping my ears for most of the concert, but a few of them shyly tried it and saw the light.

Also, ne0ism, you only should have clipped that snipe through the stairs instead of that whole game. It was pretty boring overall, and sadly that is what most amazingly long sprees look like, slow and methodical with blains and long range Rifle kills against clueless BK's. I liked the snipe through the stairs because it was unique and funny. Not trying to talk shit, because I got a 30+ kill spree earlier today in BTB and it was the same style, except there wasn't a sniper so it was even more boring, just me cross-mappin' BK's for like 12 mins. Maybe I'm just salty because I died in my game lol.

EDIT: NO ONE READS EDITS LOL

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
lybertyboy said:

lC23r.jpg

FyreWulff

Deputy Moonman said:
Podcasts are pretty long. What tests are you planning on running?
1297441635_snow-exploosion.gif

LAN related mostly. I was originally going to fire a bunch of weapons at a wall right before the TU and then do it again afterwards, but now we know that these are all Megalo hooks that have to be dropped in.

I'll also be running tests comparing playing co-op on a flash drive versus the HDD. Might need help for that one.

Letters said:

I'm trying to see no campaign footage anymore. I know that it will be hard. But the levels "Halo", "Assault of the Control Room" and "Two Betrayels" deserve it to experience without any footage to be seen.

Btw. this year we'll be able to say, that a ten years old game will be being our goty

FyreWulff said:
LAN related mostly. I was originally going to fire a bunch of weapons at a wall right before the TU and then do it again afterwards, but now we know that these are all Megalo hooks that have to be dropped in.

I'll also be running tests comparing playing co-op on a flash drive versus the HDD. Might need help for that one.

That would be interesting to see.
Tunavi said:
When we get the Zero Bloom Gametype:
Snow-Explosion-in-3.-2.gif

That...is...FUCKING AWESOME
2pnX3.png

Booshka

FyreWulff said:
No, I don't listen to podcasts anymore. I fall asleep halfway into th*zzzzzzzzz*. Last one I listened to was the last Bungie podcast.

Seriously though, I had to stop after everyone started doing 2-3 hour podcasts. I had to edit a podcast once and it started running 4 hours for each episode almost. I had to put my foot down and force them to exert some directorial control.

T-minus one hour until I can run my test(s)
I posted the exact time to start listening to the podcast for the Pistol discussion, it was only like 3 mins you needed to hear. Stop posting about it until you listen to it. It will take you less time to listen to it than it did to go look up some barely relevant article that doesn't refute or challenge what is said on the podcast.

Tunavi said:
Zero Bloom 5-sk Pistol starts will be awesome. Doesn't have the range problem of the DMR.

YUM

Jesus I need to go to bed. Here's to hoping for a gametype tomorrow afternoon, and in turn, many GAF lobbies of epicsauce

FyreWulff

Booshka said:
I posted the exact time to start listening to the podcast for the Pistol discussion, it was only like 3 mins you needed to hear. Stop posting about it until you listen to it. It will take you less time to listen to it than it did to go look up some barely relevant article that doesn't refute or challenge what is said on the podcast.

I posted that article because it's an interesting article, not to refute you or anything (it doesn't even talk about the pistol). They talked about the pistol in the Bungie Podcast right before the beta, the Sparkcast (I'll take your word for it) has a slightly different story, and the the Urk post says not even Bungie can agree internally on why. Whether it was OP because it couldn't be changed at the last minute or because Jones suddenly decided to put himself on the MP team isn't really going to change anyone's opinion on the gun at this point.

Hypertrooper said:
Btw. this year we'll be able to say, that a ten years old game will be being our goty

We were able to do that for 2010 as well

lybertyboy said:
Give or take depending on my sleep-deprived brain.

The fine folks on Live actually handle the distribution.
D72Mh.gif

lybertyboy said:

Mb1W3.gif

oLlb0.gif

atzSH.gif

:^)

Haha this thread. Has the TU been sighted, yet? I'm at work. Also, once the custom game type/s are available sometime over the next 24-48 hours, is there going to be 24/7 gaf customs? Hopefully there are enough people to get multiple groups going. Should be fun. I still can't see how a 15% reduction in bloom will be significant enough to notice, though. I'll have to wait and see.
TheOddOne said:
THIS.

THIS.

THIS SO MUCH.
Yes, please.

Top Bottom