• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

ElRenoRaven

So with this update out though I know some are going to hate saying this but I'll do it for you.

Fyrewulff was right about his worries. With OG Reach unable to play with new TU Reach that does hurt lans somewhat.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Booshka said:
What? Why do you need another gun to do the same thing? That's redundancy not balance.

No, not do the same thing, another gun to be slightly more powerful at range than the pistol but less powerful than the sniper. I always hated the fact that if you saw someone in the medium to long range in Halo CE and didn't have a sniper your next best pick was a pistol, just doesn't make sense.

BigShow36

Deadly Cyclone said:
No, not do the same thing, another gun to be slightly more powerful at range than the pistol but less powerful than the sniper. I always hated the fact that if you saw someone in the medium to long range in Halo CE and didn't have a sniper your next best pick was a pistol, just doesn't make sense.

So we're back to the "its a pistol" argument?

PsychoRaven said:
So with this update out though I know some are going to hate saying this but I'll do it for you.

Fyrewulff was right about his worries. With OG Reach unable to play with new TU Reach that does hurt lans somewhat.

CEA will have the update built in most likely, it's not a big deal.

PsychoRaven said:

- Delete TU.
- Resume LAN.

ElRenoRaven

ncsuDuncan said:
- Delete TU.
- Resume LAN.

True you can but you can't deny that it will be a pain in the ass for lan players who also play online a lot. Just saying.

Luckily I don't lan anymore thanks to live. lol

PsychoRaven said:
True you can but you can't deny that it will be a pain in the ass for lan players who also play online a lot. Just saying.

If the LAN players play online a lot it won't be a problem because they will all have the update.

Plus you can always just go online and update, leach wi-fi from your neighbor if you have to.

feel

thee henery said:
Added to the charm and uniqueness of the weapon imo.

Also, armour lock is not balanced on paper.

Surprised at the mood in here today, thought I'd come home to a smorgasbord of delirious, celebratory gifs at the impending gametype drop, was disappointed.
It's not like we're getting the new maps and all the classic gametypes/playlists today.

Steelyuhas said:
Assuming there isn't any TU action going down by that time I'd be down.

Link me the variant and gametype either way. I'd like to check it out.
It's not in my fileshare yet, will probably update it next time I access my Xbox.

PsychoRaven said:

Yeah, that 2MB title update is going to kill their bandwidth usage and take hours to download.

Are there really that many people that use the same 360 for LAN and XBL all the time? I figured it would be mostly one or the other.

Letters said:
It's not like we're getting the new maps and all the classic gametypes/playlists today.

Impending. It's coming out in the next few hours judging by the Frankie post. I'm buzzing in anticipation even though I can't play until tomorrow (hoping it's the zero bloom gametype). Speaking of which, are Eurogaf down for customs tomorrow daytime with the new gametype? Or Amerigaf, I know Juices and a few others play early over there.

ElRenoRaven

ncsuDuncan said:
Yeah, that 2MB title update is going to kill their bandwidth usage and take hours to download.

Are there really that many people that use the same 360 for LAN and XBL all the time? I figured it would be mostly one or the other.

Hey I'm not defending anything. I agree. I personally don't think it a problem. However Some who um post here seem to think it is.

I can't figure they're too pleased with it "breaking" the interoperability of Reach on a lan. They weren't before it was confirmed to. Now they really can't be too happy.

FyreWulff

ncsuDuncan said:

Most LANs I've seen run with one box with an HDD on it and the others are disc only. Cheaper and less items to track to prevent something from walking out the door.

With Halo 3: Mythic, you didn't even need a HDD on any of the boxes. The benefit to having an HDD on the host box was saving films and playing premade gametypes. For Reach this was using post-ship gametypes. With 1.1 in play, you''re going to need to decide if you want to play just Vanilla Reach or buy an HDD for each box, give them their own gamertag, and you still have to buy Defiant and Noble separately for each box since they're not going to be available via disc for the forseeable future.

As I said in my HBO post, worrying about the LAN community isn't going to resonate very well with constantly online-connected people, and I'll admit that. The interesting thing here is going to see how MLG reacts to this. They're the ones that are financially affected by this the most on a considerable scale.

MrBig said:
Yes, Frankie's post confirmed it.
Really?
OuterWorldVoice said:
Today you say? BS Angel's update, you reckon? Let's wait and see together!

Maybe we will get only the date, when the gametype will be out. :p

Argh. Going to bed now. Can't wait to play customs with you guys tomorrow.

ElRenoRaven

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
PsychoRaven said:
Yea. I really feel sorry for Jessica if that don't make it in. She's going to be the one getting all the hate from people who read that Frankie hinted it would on Neogaf if it doesn't.

She's a feedback handling pro.

orznge

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:

It just doesn't make sense to me, my mental age is that of a child. Please, someone, change the model for me.

feel

thee henery said:
Impending. It's coming out in the next few hours judging by the Frankie post. I'm buzzing in anticipation even though I can't play until tomorrow (hoping it's the zero bloom gametype). Speaking of which, are Eurogaf down for customs tomorrow daytime with the new gametype? Or Amerigaf, I know Juices and a few others play early over there.
From what I've gathered the new maps and the AAless+Bloomless gametypes are coming Nov 15, not in a few hours. :)

In a few hours is coming a 15% better version of the same AA-fest bloom mess we've been hating for a year lol

senador

Banned
FyreWulff said:
Most LANs I've seen run with one box with an HDD on it and the others are disc only. Cheaper and less items to track to prevent something from walking out the door.

With Halo 3: Mythic, you didn't even need a HDD on any of the boxes. The benefit to having an HDD on the host box was saving films and playing premade gametypes. For Reach this was using post-ship gametypes. With 1.1 in play, you''re going to need to decide if you want to play just Vanilla Reach or buy an HDD for each box, give them their own gamertag, and you still have to buy Defiant and Noble separately for each box since they're not going to be available via disc for the forseeable future.

As I said in my HBO post, worrying about the LAN community isn't going to resonate very well with constantly online-connected people, and I'll admit that. The interesting thing here is going to see how MLG reacts to this. They're the ones that are financially affected by this the most on a considerable scale.

Why? Can't they just get a bunch of USB drives, plug the boxes into a router, get a auto gamertag, download TU? Seems like it'd be only a bit of work and not much money.

Edit: The part that seems tricky is creating the game types. Since they don't have access to much of the new changes, they'll have to request 343 do them and give them the game type to test. It won't be as easy or as efficient. Then again, I don't know how they do it now anyway.

Letters said:
From what I've gathered the new maps and the AAless+Bloomless gametypes are comming Nov 15, not in a few hours. :)

In a few hours is comming a 15% better version of the same AA-fest bloom mess we've been hating for a year lol

Yeah, I am not that excited yet. It'll be fun to try the game type, and a lot of fun to try the hoppers, but the real meat will be in November.

VV He's not really. ;) At minimum you'll have to wait til early October to see what the beta hoppers are.

PNut

Banned
Letters said:
From what I've gathered the new maps and the AAless+Bloomless gametypes are comming Nov 15, not in a few hours. :)

In a few hours is comming a 15% better version of the same AA-fest bloom mess we've been hating for a year lol

I hope you are wrong. I really do.

Letters said:

I hate to say it but around Nov 15th there are so many other things coming out that I really dont know if Bloomless Reach will get a look in. No matter how good it is.

Hopefully the beta hoppers can give a taste of that gameplay.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
FyreWulff said:

Until...you know...CEA, which'll be out by the time MLG switches to 1.1 anyway.

FyreWulff

senador said:
Why? Can't they just get a bunch of USB drives, plug the boxes into a router, get a auto gamertag, download TU? Seems like it'd be only a bit of work and not much money.

I'm not so sure about that. This is a company that avoided using DLC (even ones they really wanted) because they would have had to get MS points and purchase the DLC for each box until it either went free or Mythic came out.

We're going to have to wait past their next event to see their reaction, either way. It's too short a time for them to change their setup for the next event, and the gametypes they want might not be available until November 15th anyway.

They can either just buy a bunch of CE:A discs and go Classic only. If they want to use their FW variants and disc maps alongside Remake maps, just buying CE:A isn't going to cut it.

feel

bobs99 ... said:
I hate to say it but around Nov 15th there are so many other things coming out that I really dont know if Bloomless Reach will get a look in. No matter how good it is.
So true. CEA will definitely get a campaign playthrough but the MP will probably have to wait till some point in 2012 to get some decent time out of me (if it's good).

senador

Banned
LAUGHTREY said:
Until...you know...CEA, which'll be out by the time MLG switches to 1.1 anyway.

Super good point. CEA would most likely install the patch for Reach. It'd have to right? That'd solve LAN problems too.

Speaking of, I have a Reach LAN this weekend. Wanted to do CE and 2 but I guess the others don't have those anymore. :/

FyreWulff

senador said:
Super good point. CEA would most likely install the patch for Reach. It'd have to right? That'd solve LAN problems too.

Speaking of, I have a Reach LAN this weekend. Wanted to do CE and 2 but I guess the others don't have those anymore. :/

Nope. The patch would stay on the disc. We haven't seen a game actually install an update since the Halo 2 Map Pack Disc.

You can confirm this by putting Halo 3: Mythic into a 360 and installing it. If you then put in the normal Halo 3 disc, you'll get prompted for an update to patch Halo 3, even though Mythic has the 1.1 update included.

Hopefully Microsoft's next console just includes the ability for consoles to send each other TUs. Even Nintendo has done this already. Some sort of handshake and protocol where the host Xbox on a LAN could go "hey guys, I've got a title update for you" and the others download the title update from it.

Or require and include an HDD with each console.

Letters said:
From what I've gathered the new maps and the AAless+Bloomless gametypes are coming Nov 15, not in a few hours. :)

In a few hours is coming a 15% better version of the same AA-fest bloom mess we've been hating for a year lol

You've been hating for a year. The percentage of bloom hasn't been confirmed yet for the fileshare gametype. I was assuming it would be a slayer variant so you could edit out the AA's in the settings. I dunno, it's something at least. Agree about the maps though, that wait is a particularly difficult one as I think maps are arguably the biggest problem with Reach.

Booshka

I doubt MLG will make any drastic changes that the TU addresses this season. They will probably finish out the next two events with the same style of play. It would be unfair to teams that have been competing under one style of play and earning season points for seeding in upcoming events, to then have to play a different type of game within the same season.

I definitely see MLG changing a lot for the 2012 season, and by then, I'm sure these issues will be ironed out or dealt with in the off-season.

Karl2177

Alright, I'm back from my friend's dorm with TU stuff. First thing, we tried installing from the preview disc. Nothing. Then installed retail Reach on HDD and then tried installing via preview disc. That worked. So something about the installation denotes a different disc code(if that is how TUs are installed).

The Megalo read was amazing. I really hope 343 takes the reins and goes full on with all of what it can offer.

Louis Wu

Late to this discussion, but...

BigShow36 said:
My defintion of balance doesn't cram "skill" into one category; I agree that skill covers a wide range of things.
Since you haven't actually SHARED your definition of balance, this is a pretty difficult statement to process. (In fact, this whole argument seems rather silly; you made Frank 'define' balance for you, and then you spent several posts arguing about how HIS answers didn't match YOUR definition.)

BigShow36 said:
[In response to Frank's question about balance vs enjoyment - would you rather an unbalanced game everyone enjoyed, or a balanced one nobody did?] Thats completely dependent upon your perspective. If you're the company making the game, obviously its the former, if you're a gamer who wants to be treated fairly, its the latter. However, I fail to see why this needs to be viewed as a "slider" scale, where moving in one direction detracts from the other.
I'm not the company making the game, I'm a gamer that wants to be treated fairly - and I MUCH prefer the former. (I'd rather something in the middle, of course, as would most reasonable people -but if I were made to choose between those two options, you've guessed wrong about which one I'd pick.) You're clearly coming into this argument with assumptions that fit YOUR worldview - and ignore mine. Why is that reasonable? (I ask because you made a point early on about the need for objectivity.)

orznge

Banned
For a lot of Halo players it seems the most important component of balance is "weapon variety" (and I don't mean that in a good way, I mean it in a "weapons are basically hard counters to other weapons at their specified range" way) without any consideration to things like freedom of movement, magnetism, autoaim, and the mechanical skill ceiling.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Letters said:

The custom game type today includes bloom tweaks, armor lock tweaks and a bunch of other stuff. No pistol (or maps, obviously) until Nov 15th. But lots of other stuff.

feel

Yeah, it's still quite something, I've grown excited as the day went by. I was comenting about why there wasn't even MORE excitement with gifs and etc.
thee henery said:
You've been hating for a year.
Yeah I meant "we" as in me and everyone else who hates it, not me and you.

BigShow36

Louis Wu said:
Since you haven't actually SHARED your definition of balance, this is a pretty difficult statement to process. (In fact, this whole argument seems rather silly; you made Frank 'define' balance for you, and then you spent several posts arguing about how HIS answers didn't match YOUR definition.)

“Balance” means that success is directly proportional to the abilities, choices, and actions of the players. Similar to how a 10 lb weight will tip a scale relative to a 5 lb weight, a highly skilled gamer will proportionally tilt the scale of a game against a lesser opponent.

What it appeared Frankie was talking about was the act of balancing all the different "wants" of the gaming community. I'm talking about how the actual "sandbox" is balanced.

Louis Wu said:
I'm not the company making the game, I'm a gamer that wants to be treated fairly - and I MUCH prefer the former. (I'd rather something in the middle, of course, as would most reasonable people -but if I were made to choose between those two options, you've guessed wrong about which one I'd pick.) You're clearly coming into this argument with assumptions that fit YOUR worldview - and ignore mine. Why is that reasonable?

You're making gross assumptions about a rather ambiguous false dichotomy. If you are a gamer who wants to be treated fairly, you will want the most balanced game possible, even if only 1% of the population likes it. As a gamer, why would you care how many other people enjoy the game as long as you enjoy it? Assuming, of course, that there's at least a healthy enough population that you would have people to interact with.

I find it difficult to believe, based on your prior statements, that you actually want a "fair" game. From what I've gathered, you want a game that artificially equals the playing field; thats not fair. Maybe you mispoke on your previous comments or I misunderstood them though.

BigShow36 said:
So we're back to the "its a pistol" argument?

Basically lol.

I just don't understand that line of thinking.

Gabotron ES said:
It's not in my fileshare yet, will probably update it next time I access my Xbox.

Alright. What is your GT? Bnet says the one linked to your GAF profile has never played Reach.

A27 Tawpgun said:
No Gametype yet? :/

Still no TU for the preview disc. :/

orznge

Banned
check me out, I'm the Master Chief, I've been in tons of huge space battles so I know better than to have a Plasma Rifle out at this range *brushes off shoulder, takes out nondescript mid-range hitscan pea shooter* not all of us can be the best

Top Bottom