• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

ElRenoRaven

Tashi0106 said:
343i ia going to NYCC? Fuck, I think I'll be at the event that weekend.

Take plenty of pictures of everything Halo as well as the cosplay. OT's cosplay thread has been dead the last week. It needs new life.

*edit*

Kids don't post until after you've had your coffee. Otherwise you miss things and just look like an idiot like me.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
PsychoRaven said:
Take plenty of pictures of everything Halo as well as the cosplay. OT's cosplay thread has been dead the last week. It needs new life.
I meant MLG event, sorry. I'll be away from the 15th to the 18th. When is NYCC?

Booshka

PsychoRaven said:
So just woke up any updates on preview disc version? That update still borked, taken down, or fixed? I'm assuming still borked and up.
Same thing for me, incompatible update, you can only play Reach offline on the Preview disc by clearing the cache and denying the update.

Whatsa matter? Shishka couldn't get a playlist up for no bloom in time for the TU?

And don't give me none of that Shishka aint in charge of the playlists no more crap. I don't believe you since I'm not hired yet.

ElRenoRaven

Tashi0106 said:
I meant MLG event, sorry. I'll be away from the 15th to the 18th. When is NYCC?

Oh my bad. I'm still drinking my coffee and trying to wake up. I totally missed the event. As in you referring to the MLG one. lol

I think I'll leave my stupidity on display as a warning not to post something till you drink your coffee.

Yesterday's customs felt so damn good. Would anyone mind if I started up a small project (I'd need help too) that would basically be "Competitive Customs." Along with efforts to try to divy up gaf on custom days (or off days) into 8-10 player scrims? I was going to set up a google doc sometime this weekend with links to gametypes and maps to DL. Maybe even a spreadsheet that details people's stats for easier shuffling of teams.

Poor preview disc people, I hope your shit gets sorted out by tonight since I'll be able to play =O.

A27 Tawpgun said:
The Pistol and DMR compliment each other SO well.

EDIT: Just read the Bulletin. 343 coming to New York? THIS GIVES ME HOPE FOR A SHOWING AT PAX EAST. I wish I was still at home, I totally would go to NY Comic Con.
They won't miss out PAXEast.

So let's check 343i's plan for September:
Unveiling Headlong and PoA level - Check.
Roll out the TU - check(Except for the Preview Disc guys)
Release the Sparkast September 27 - planning.

Any custom plans today?

Devolution said:
Yesterday's customs felt so damn good. Would anyone mind if I started up a small project (I'd need help too) that would basically be "Competitive Customs." Along with efforts to try to divy up gaf on custom days (or off days) into 8-10 player scrims? I was going to set up a google doc sometime this weekend with links to gametypes and maps to DL. Maybe even a spreadsheet that details people's stats for easier shuffling of teams.

Poor preview disc people, I hope your shit gets sorted out by tonight since I'll be able to play =O.
Save me a spot for Friday/Saturday.

feel

Tashi0106 said:
I really wish that the DMR had a slower, locked firing rate with 0 bloom. I just don't like always puiling the trigger as fast as you can. With the BR, timing shots meant the difference between dying and out BRing someone. Hitting that perfect timing and 4 shotting someone is super satisfying and that's missing from 0 bloom.
This is absolutely spot on. Timing the exact millisecond the next bullet would be available and avoiding early or late trigger pulls felt elegant and it's missing from the current ZBDMR gameplay where you just spam the trigger fast. But maybe I'm just not used to a new fast rhythm. But either way, I'm not a fan of having to pull the trigger that fast, it feels a bit sloppy and messes up my aim. Really wish it had the ROF slowed down a tiny bit so the battle would feel more classy and methodical.

Karl2177

Devolution said:

Sounds pretty good.

GhaleonEB

PsychoRaven said:
Oh some nice dailies today. I feel a weekly being completed.
Get a game of Arcadefight in Doubles Attack going, select the DMR load out. Knock off all four in one game. (I'll do this tonight.)

I was debating last night how many dailies to do; I needed three yesterday in order to complete the weekly today. I only did one, but had I done so I'd have been able to get all of the dailies today plus the weekly in one game. 34,200 in Challenge cR. Yowza.

One hugely lucrative game today, then sprinkle a two Firefight or Campaign ones over the weekend and I'm there.

Homeboyd

GhaleonEB said:
Get a game of Arcadefight in Doubles Attack going, select the DMR load out. Knock off all four in one game. (I'll do this tonight.)

I was debating last night how many dailies to do; I needed three yesterday in order to complete the weekly today. I only did one, but had I done so I'd have been able to get all of the dailies today plus the weekly in one game. 34,200 in Challenge cR. Yowza.

One hugely lucrative game today, then sprinkle a two Firefight or Campaign ones over the weekend and I'm there.
See this is never an option for me. My connection is always so unbelievably bad when trying to play MM FF in anything other than score attack. It almost makes it impossible to hit anything, much less snag 100+ headshots. That and you have to count on people waiting for Overlook to show up and getting someone else to vote for it with you... which with my luck, never happens.

GhaleonEB

Homeboyd said:
See this is never an option for me. My connection is always so unbelievably bad when trying to play MM FF in anything other than score attack. It almost makes it impossible to hit anything, much less snag 100+ headshots. That and you have to count on people waiting for Overlook to show up and getting someone else to vote for it with you... which with my luck, never happens.
This is why I select Doubles. Only one other player to match with, and I keep all three matchmaking filters on. It usually results in me being host, or if not, then a decent connection. In Doubles we get eight voting rounds, and I've found that on map-specific Challenge days, most players are going for that map. I've had pretty good luck this way.

Homeboyd

GhaleonEB said:
This is why I select Doubles. Only one other player to match with, and I keep all three matchmaking filters on. It usually results in me being host, or if not, then a decent connection. In Doubles we get eight voting rounds, and I've found that on map-specific Challenge days, most players are going for that map. I've had pretty good luck this way.
Yeah I use restrictions too. Is Doubles Arcadefight one round or one set?

feel

ZBS Classic

Player Speed 120%
Jump Height 125%
Player Gravity 150%
Damage Resistance 110%
Shield Recharge Rate 110%
Health Recharge Rate 110%
Reticule Bloom 0%
Bleedthrough: Yes
Primary: DMR
Secondary: Assault Rifle
Loadouts: None
Armor Abilities: None

= FUCKING HALO

av5vdc.jpg

29lbxqc.jpg

r9ncrp.jpg

2ugyu06.jpg

2mzy3k2.jpg

ElRenoRaven

Homeboyd said:

That's why one game of Gruntpocalypse on Hold out is perfect. I almost got all done in one except thanks to a couple of faulty grenade throws by grunts I'm 4 shy on one and 6 on the others lol. So I'm just trying to get another gruntpocalypse on it again. That's actually harder then you think too.

I miss a dedicated Gruntpocalypse option. That gametype is just perfect for working off some steam or just for a quick fix of grunt butchering.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Devolution said:

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but that would probably end up being a waste of time. It's hard enough getting enough folks together at the same time once a week never mind trying to organise something over multiple days and then have it ongoing every week. Plus, what effect would that have on regular customs and such - the folks that want to play together but don't want to be competitive?

I've done enough experimenting over the years to find that such things are just a huge waste of time, even if you get a strong start.

MrDaravon

PsychoRaven said:
That's why one game of Gruntpoclypse on Hold out is perfect. I almost got all done in one except thanks to a couple of faulty grenade throws by grunts I'm 4 shy on one and 6 on the others lol. So I'm just trying to get another gruntpocalypse on it again. That's actually harder then you think too.

I miss a dedicated Gruntpocalypse option. That gametype is just perfect for working off some steam or just for a quick fix of grunt butchering.

It makes me sad that you can't get Gruntpocalypse in Doubles or 4-player matchmaking :(

Dani said:
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but that would probably end up being a waste of time. It's hard enough getting enough folks together at the same time once a week never mind trying to organise something over multiple days and then have it ongoing every week. Plus, what effect would that have on regular customs and such - the folks that want to play together but don't want to be competitive?

I've done enough experimenting over the years to find that such things are just a huge waste of time, even if you get a strong start.

Yeah but it's pretty easy to set up a list of settings, maps to DL and loadouts which is mainly what I wanted some help with, the proper links/settings. I think you might see a resurgence of people interested in customs since the TU (no bloom, etc stuff) is in customs only right now. Granted Gears might cut into shit. And yeah fun customs will always be an option but the games yesterday were great, I didn't even care about losing because it was stripped down and it came down to jumpin', jukin' and shootin'. No bullshit in the way.

Also just gonna throw this out there at Frankie and Ellis. Bring back clans in 4 please. Make them more like social groups if you don't want a ranking on them. Just something that makes it easier to play with people not on your list. 100 friends. Eugh.

Devolution said:

I'd be up for it if it doesn't start too late in the evening.

And does anyone wants to play some bloomless customs in 2/3 hours?

Crap, I missed out on the fun yesterday, I was distracted with Gears 3 which is much more enjoyable than past Gears games IMO. Cant wait to try out the new goodness.

Tashi0106 said:
343i ia going to NYCC? Fuck, I think I'll be at the event that weekend.

Fucking awesome, guess Ill be going. Wait. FUCK, it conflicts with the play Im directing...but maybe I can do it.

GhaleonEB

Homeboyd said:
Yeah I use restrictions too. Is Doubles Arcadefight one round or one set?
It runs for the full set, though the time limit is still 20 minutes, so two players have a hard time getting through the set on all but Corvette and Courtyard.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Devolution said:
Yeah but it's pretty easy to set up a list of settings, maps to DL and loadouts which is mainly what I wanted some help with, the proper links/settings. I think you might see a resurgence of people interested in customs since the TU is in customs only right now. Granted Gears might cut into shit. And yeah fun customs will always be an option but the games yesterday were great, I didn't even care about losing because it was stripped down and it came down to jumpin', jukin' and shootin'. No bullshit in the way.

Also just gonna throw this out there at Frankie and Ellis. Bring back clans in 4 please. Make them more like social groups if you don't want a ranking on them. Just something that makes it easier to play with people not on your list. 100 friends. Eugh.

TU setting in Customs only until October 4th - a week and a half? =P

I don't think there's anything wrong with proper serious customs. The problem will come from the amount of players that want to play. Having to split the groups up. Folks will always stick with their buddies, etc.

If you're serious about getting it organised and whatnot though, there's no harm in trying so I'll be happy to help out, even if I don't think it's viable in the long term I'd like to be proven wrong.

I'd like to put forward the idea of using tweaked maps to remove things like the NR for example which aren't ZBS friendly.

senador

Banned
Downer Dani is just afraid Devious Devo will do customs more delightfully than him. ;)

Edit: This was just a joke and a fun play on words.. I meant nothing ill of Dani.

Dani said:
TU setting in Customs only until October 4th - a week and a half? =P

I don't think there's anything wrong with proper serious customs. The problem will come from the amount of players that want to play. Having to split the groups up. Folks will always stick with their buddies, etc.

If you're serious about getting it organised and whatnot though, there's no harm in trying so I'll be happy to help out, even if I don't think it's viable in the long term I'd like to be proven wrong.

I'm pretty sure it will die out fast, I'm not an optimist, and my coursework is going to be hard to manage with it but we can try. Mostly I want to compile info on what people are having the most fun with and a central hub to look up custom settings/maps/gametypes that people on GAF are generally liking more. We are kind of our own sub-community of picky bastards so I think it would be good to pin down what people are digging, what they're meh on and what they loathe. I'll strangle out answers out of people if I have to, if you're not the vocal type, it's time to be about what works and what doesn't.

senador said:
Downer Dani is just afraid Devious Devo will do customs more delightfully than him. ;)

Lol. I don't even want to run them. And when my classwork gets crazy I won't even be able to. See above.

Homeboyd

senador said:
For what it's worth, I don't think people have been complaining about Dani's ability to set up fun customs. People just weren't happy with Reach gameplay and were taking it out on those types of 'events.' I've always had a good time playing in Gaf customs operated by Dani whether they were intended to be casual or competitive and know how much effort he puts into keeping those running as long as he has... I do/did the same for CC-satellite groups.

Like Tashi mentioned previously, people are and will be on the zero-bloom 'high' for a while and will associate their happiness with it to whatever customs are running by whomever. Personally, I don't mind who runs the customs, but seeing people knock Dani for all his effort seems unnecessary. Devo, I'd be happy to help as well where I can if you want to give it a shot. Same with Dani. I'm just usually unavailable on the weekends so I almost always miss out on Gaf customs. :(

senador

Banned
I must clarify by stating that my statement was mearly a joke and had no true bearing on Dani or Devo. Plus, I got to say words that started with "D".

I'd be up for cutsoms but the preview disc update still doesn't work. I might try toothpasting my retail disc.

Homeboyd

senador said:
I must clarify by stating that my statement was mearly a joke and had no true bearing on Dani or Devo. Plus, I got to say words that started with "D".
Yeah I should've said I wasn't directing my general comments about Dani or customs at you.. your comment just made me think about the previous posts after last week's (or maybe the week before's) customs.

Homeboyd said:
For what it's worth, I don't think people have been complaining about Dani's ability to set up fun customs. People just weren't happy with Reach gameplay and were taking it out on those types of 'events.' I've always had a good time playing in Gaf customs operated by Dani whether they were intended to be casual or competitive and know how much effort he puts into keeping those running as long as he has... I do/did the same for CC-satellite groups.

Like Tashi mentioned previously, people are and will be on the zero-bloom 'high' for a while and will associate their happiness with it to whatever customs are running by whomever. Personally, I don't mind who runs the customs, but seeing people knock Dani for all his effort seems unnecessary. Devo, I'd be happy to help as well where I can if you want to give it a shot. Same with Dani. I'm just usually unavailable on the weekends so I almost always miss out on Gaf customs. :(

I don't want to step on toes or anything. And I think fun easy going customs have their place too, which is actually just why I want to separate the competitive stuff. But for some people that's fun too. The games yesterday that we 4v4'ed in showed a lot of potential for some niche competitive play, especially with certain variants being accessible to edits now.

Also bigger team stuff is going to be some kind of super turtling with the current no bloom set up right?

Devo, I'd be willing to help. I could slap together a GAF customs page on my site if you want.

---
We're almost halfway to another OT...

<3 HaloGAF

ncsuDuncan said:
Devo, I'd be willing to help. I could slap together a GAF customs page on my site if you want.

---
We're almost halfway to another OT...

<3 HaloGAF

Oh that'd be wonderful Duncan. I was thinking of just making something in a PDF with a link on google docs, but that's a better idea for sure. It would just need updating on a regular basis which I don't think you'll have problems with.

The best way anyone can make this work though would be feedback. Like I mentioned before GAF isn't MLG, it's not the general population either, so the customs we make will work better tailored to what you guys think. Of course many of us will disagree but that's why we can compromise on at least a few specific gametypes. And if we figure out who digs what more, customs with X setting can happen with group A, custom settings with Y setting can happen with group B. Now this might be too complicated and end up a crazy mess but at least we can say we tried and laugh at the shitstorm that's probably inevitable.

Letters said:
ZBS Classic

Player Speed 120%
Jump Height 125%
Player Gravity 150%
Damage Resistance 110%
Shield Recharge Rate 110%
Health Recharge Rate 110%
Reticule Bloom 0%
Bleedthrough: Yes
Primary: DMR
Secondary: Assault Rifle
Loadouts: None
Armor Abilities: None

= FUCKING HALO
Where can I get this gametype?

Ugh sorry for bailing like that guys. Telus is here to setup my new internet.

I'll be back on in less than an hour hopefully, and I'll have a muccccch better upload after he is done. HD Stream here I come!

Top Bottom