• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

orznge

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
And Orange, what do you mean? I like the pacing, it's fun.

You said that it adds difficulty in addition to managing strafing and aiming, and while it does it is marginal at best. The implementation of bloom in Reach is essentially an idiot check that doesn't add any depth and lowers the skill ceiling ("oops, I fired a handful of shots, now my danger as a player is neutralized").

Beyond the lowest common denominator of players who have no standard of comparison, bloom is not challenging or complex, and it certainly doesn't add depth. Bloom only harms the basic design that the previous three games subscribed to and it's not because of something inherent to bloom. Look at CS where you have controllable (higher skill ceiling!) "bloom" that allows a player to counteract the pattern while aiming at an enemy. Comparing the two on that basis, without even thinking about things like strafe shooting or spawn jumping (which are products of "bloom" in CS), makes it apparent that one implementation of the mechanic raises the skill ceiling because it rewards player ability and the other lowers the skill ceiling by neutralizing player ability.

I would write more but that's literally all I can physically do right now because I can't stand effortposting and I'd rather just post flippant one-liners.

orznge said:
You said that it adds difficulty in addition to managing strafing and aiming, and while it does it is marginal at best. The implementation of bloom in Reach is essentially an idiot check that doesn't add any depth and lowers the skill ceiling ("oops, I fired a handful of shots, now my danger as a player is neutralized").

Beyond the lowest common denominator of players who have no standard of comparison, bloom is not challenging or complex, and it certainly doesn't add depth. Bloom only harms the basic design that the previous three games subscribed to and it's not because of something inherent to bloom. Look at CS where you have controllable (higher skill ceiling!) "bloom" that allows a player to counteract the pattern while aiming at an enemy. Comparing the two on that basis, without even thinking about things like strafe shooting or spawn jumping (which are products of "bloom" in CS), makes it apparent that one implementation of the mechanic raises the skill ceiling because it rewards player ability and the other lowers the skill ceiling by neutralizing player ability.

I would write more but that's literally all I can physically do right now because I can't stand effortposting and I'd rather just post flippant one-liners.

I wouldn't mind hearing more since I haven't played CS in forever. And barely remember the mechanics.

Alright which one of you is this?

K4Kmc.png

kylej

Banned
orznge said:

send jelyk a friend request please

orznge

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
Lol ya I skimmed real fast but basically orange, I disagree.

lol if you read this post without the avatar or name it's as if there was a neoism that was slightly more articulate but no more insightful

Devolution said:
Shit I gotta update the gamertag list, all these no bloom people up in dis. I think I still have some regulars off too.

HaloGAF Gamertag List

If you're still not on here and want on, give me a holler.

Could you add me to the list GT: BlueThunder850

I've slowly accrued some of haloGAF on my fl, but not everyone.

I totally agree with orznge. What I loved last night was shooting someone, shooting someone else, shooting the first person again and not losing any damage on my shots. Double kills against competent players with just the DMR or a well placed nade after downing shields on both folks was pretty refreshing.

Scrote - added.

Sai-kun

Banned
orznge said:

Wow it's like we're the ~same person~

oh gosh.png

feel

With 110% damage resistance (to make grenades and rockets less crazy), the 4th dmr shot does not pop the shields so every 5th shot can be a bleedthrough headshot.. so good

Booshka said:
Make sure you keep Trounce on that HaloGAF doc, for the memories.

I was thinking the other day of putting in notes next to each tag just to be a total jackass.

OuterWorldVoice said:
For the record, I was obviously kidding.

It was more hilarious without this disclaimer.

Gametype we were using yesterday for people that love fun:

Link
•DMR and Pistol start
•No AA's
•120 speed
•125 jump
•150 gravity
•110 shield recharge
•supershields enabled (OS will give flaming feet)

feel

^ the version I posted above has better damage from grenades/rockets and constant bleedthrough-headshot bliss. Plus no overpowered pistol. Check those settings out! (no OS though)

OuterWorldVoice said:
For the record, I was obviously kidding.
Yeah it was clear.

BTW, I was seeing you log in and out constantly last night, and enter and exit reach over and over. Pretty sure that had something to do with you being at home on your own time but unable to take your mind off the people still without the update, so you kept checking the affected versions of reach, was nice to see.

Letters said:
^ the version I posted above has better damage from grenades/rockets and constant bleedthrough-headshot bliss. Plus no overpowered pistol. Check those settings out! (no OS though)

I will.

Your gametype has no pistol though. For shame bro, for shame.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Letters said:

Yeah it was clear.

BTW, I was seeing you log in and out constantly last night, and enter and exit reach over and over. Pretty sure that had something to do with you being at home on your own time but unable to take your mind off the people still without the update, so you kept checking the affected versions of reach, was nice to see.

I was testing various scenarios - GonD, no Gond, retail, Preview, Recommended files, copied files, downloaded files, Dongblain Corruption and so on.

Preview disc is last (main) problem to solve and we are trying to establish a solution.

ElRenoRaven

OuterWorldVoice said:
I was testing various scenarios - GonD, no Gond, retail, Preview, Recommended files, copied files, downloaded files, Dongblain Corruption and so on.

Preview disc is last (main) problem to solve and we are trying to establish a solution.

I have an easy one. Send a copy of the retail disc to everyone you sent the preview disc to. Then they can give the retail version to those they gave the preview disc to. Problem solved. lol

Booshka

OuterWorldVoice said:

You should put Juices' stream on in the background while you work, hear DongGAF bitch at each other.

http://www.twitch.tv/sometimesimepic

ElRenoRaven

Steelyuhas said:
Gametype we were using yesterday for people that love fun:

Link
•DMR and Pistol start
•No AA's
•120 speed
•125 jump
•150 gravity
•110 shield recharge
•supershields enabled (OS will give flaming feet)

That actually makes for a very classic halo feel once you adjust the weapons to be accurate to 100 percent classic halo meaning AR/Pistol Start and no supershield. I really like the feel of that.

feel

Steelyuhas said:
Your gametype has no pistol though. For shame bro, for shame.
Pistol is OP without ROF cap. It's too fast, people just rush and spam fast shots, it's a bit mindless. AR with the new settings feels perfect as a true backup weapon that can't be abused to get undeserved kills.

resposting-

ZBTS Classic

Player Speed 120%
Jump Height 125%
Player Gravity 150%
Damage Resistance 110%
Shield Recharge Rate 110%
Health Recharge Rate 110%
Reticule Bloom 0%
Bleedthrough: Yes
Primary: DMR
Secondary: Assault Rifle
Loadouts: None
Armor Abilities: None

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23754837

Tunavi

Banned
Accidentally slept through my first class because I was up too late playing customs.

I'm so fucked when beta Hoppers/BF3 beta come around.

Letters said:
Pistol is OP without ROF cap. It's too fast, people just rush and spam fast shots, it's a bit mindless. AR with the new settings feels perfect as a true backup weapon that can't be abused to get undeserved kills.

Put 2 around the map so not everyone has one.

Letters said:
With 110% damage resistance (to make grenades and rockets less crazy), the 4th dmr shot does not pop the shields so every 5th shot can be a bleedthrough headshot.. so good
Fffff---- I NEED to try this now. I have it set up to download - I'll try to get on when I get home.

PsychoRaven said:
That actually makes for a very classic halo feel once you adjust the weapons to be accurate to 100 percent classic halo meaning AR/Pistol Start and no supershield. I really like the feel of that.

Haven't tried the AR/Pistol start yet. I'm sure its pretty damn good with the Pistol being so good. Supershield just makes it so you can see when a player has OS, otherwise in Reach you can't see that.

Letters said:
Pistol is perfect.

Fixed that for you.

Yes, I'm aware that you can argue that pistol is OP, but its so insanely fun to use.

ElRenoRaven

Steelyuhas said:
Haven't tried the AR/Pistol start yet. I'm sure its pretty damn good with the Pistol being so good. Supershield just makes it so you can see when a player has OS, otherwise in Reach you can't see that.

Fixed that for you.

Yes, I'm aware that you can argue that pistol is OP, but its so insanely fun to use.

True but that's half the fun and part of the risk you take. That's just one of the things that makes Halo fun.

RBK

Banned
You're not telling me anything I don't already know. 343 should have just waited until the update was able to release on all 3 media platforms instead of how it turned out.

Top Bottom