• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

FyreWulff

SailorDaravon said:
*wake up early to get Challenges done in Score Attack (as mm is broken for me) before I have stuff to do today*

*Halo updates! Yaaay!*

*gets kicked to dashboard for incompatible version*

Really? I mean yesterday it was just annoying and I was whining, but now as the game itself is literally 100% broken for me, I feel I have a pretty goddamn legitimate reason to be pissed off. At this point now I feel like I have to go buy another retail disc, as I'm just expecting this to happen with any future updates as well, Jesus Christ guys.

Heh. Felt like an ass after reassuring you that you'd be fine for today and then the Beta Disc TU preventing play at all came out later and kinda did that in :3

Striker

Downloaded the no-bloom gametype. Just based off a simple custom the Pistol feels great. I would like the DMR more if it were 2x zoom. Something should be done about the auto-fire of the NR, however.

Would like to get a download for no-bloom of Assault (all versions) and Flag (all versions). 3 Plots also if possible. :p

My deep thoughts on the needle rifle: I enjoy the weapon and I think it gives a nice change of pace and feel from the DMR. But... If it becomes a massive endeavor/struggle to balance the Needle Rifle, so that it fits within the new Classic++ weapon sandbox, then just take it out of the maps completely. Easy peasy.

People may or may not agree with me on that, but it is a redundant weapon and people could make do without it in matchmaking. I just don't want to see it become some obscure excuse or limiting factor/reason that prevents the DMR and pistol from being kept at their ideal settings for the finalized settings down the road.

SailorDaravon said:
So the GoD version is fine now? What the goddamn fuck then.
Everything looks good now, thank you!

Can't wait to test out and play on this gametype. Maybe I could get a little invite action for tonight's community playdate? ;)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Letters said:
Oh it's pretty great!! I like it a lot in Classic settings, DMR/AR start. The aceleration/inertia thing and the gritty visual filter still hold the game back a bit but it's still spectacular to see it play like this where every DMR kill feels fair and deserved, not random. Sucks I can't just jump into matchmaking and play ZBS Classic all night long without having to look for customs. As good as this is, who knows what kind of playlists they will end up having. It's all useless if I have to find people willing to play what I like in customs with me. The CEA playlist (CE magnum start) will be great I'm sure, but I don't want to miss out on the bloomless DMR and the old maps (zealot, countdown, reflection, etc) just because I'm avoiding the AAs. Crossing my fingers 343i delivers playlists for everyone's tastes.

But what do you think of the new gameplay behaviors introduced today??
I like it a lot, of course. I feel like playing without bloom frees up my mind to worry about other things in battle. That's not necessarily a positive thing though. You just are worrying about aiming and strafing where as with bloom, you worry about that AND pacing your shots. It's less work now, I don't have to baby sit the DMR. Again, not necessarily a good thing. I really wish that the DMR had a slower, locked firing rate with 0 bloom. I just don't like always puiling the trigger as fast as you can. With the BR, timing shots meant the difference between dying and out BRing someone. Hitting that perfect timing and 4 shotting someone is super satisfying and that's missing from 0 bloom. Needle rifle is broken now, no fun to use. I was never a fan but now you just hold the trigger down lol.

I'm still trying to figure out the bleed through. I think it should be a shot 3 with DMR and melee to kill but it's somewhere between 3 and 4 shots it seems. Not pleased with that.

I still want to play more but as it stands now, I still prefer.

Gui_PT

Devolution said:
Just got done with some customs. Still feel the same about the pistol. It's going to need a hard nerfing otherwise I can see the complaints now. Bloomless DMR + faster movement speed, I can strafe again, hallelujah.

This post is perfect.

DMR feels perfect but the Pistol needs to be changed. I won encounters with people that had the shotgun at close range with it.

Mmmmmmm bloomless DMR iiiiisssss gooooooooddddd

eeblogue said:
DMR + Sprint Starts Gametype Download

DMR + 120% Movement Speed (No Sprint) Gametype Download

Thanks for these.

If the pistol/needle rifle are overpowered simply remove them from zero bloom gametypes. Delete them off the map in forge. DMR/AR start and the rest of the sandbox's weapons can remain. Simple as that.

Homeboyd

Gabotron ES said:
Same here bro :(
Be happy to play with you guys this evening if you want.

Wanna set something up?

Just FYI;
(GT: Homeboyd903) will happily accept/add any Gaf dudes/dudettes.

Gnarly BRO!

Homeboyd said:

Wanna set something up?

Just FYI;

Gnarly BRO!
Sure bro ;)
Also, I have already said this but I would like to try out my Invasion: Highlands gametype, a lot of effort was put on it.

GT: Gabotron ES

darthbob

Gui_PT said:
This post is perfect.

DMR feels perfect but the Pistol needs to be changed. I won encounters with people that had the shotgun at close range with it.

Mmmmmmm bloomless DMR iiiiisssss gooooooooddddd

If you're referring to the 3SK Pistol, then no, it doesn't need any sort of 'nerfing'.

A Pistol designed to be 3SK, that works as intended is there for people who want to play with the Halo 1 gun.

Gui_PT

Homeboyd said:

Wanna set something up?

Just FYI;

Gnarly BRO!

Mind if I add you? I can do customs whenever.

orznge

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
I like it a lot, of course. I feel like playing without bloom frees up my mind to worry about other things in battle. That's not necessarily a positive thing though. You just are worrying about aiming and strafing where as with bloom, you worry about that AND pacing your shots. It's less work now, I don't have to baby sit the DMR. Again, not necessarily a good thing. I really wish that the DMR had a slower, locked firing rate with 0 bloom. I just don't like always puiling the trigger as fast as you can. With the BR, timing shots meant the difference between dying and out BRing someone. Hitting that perfect timing and 4 shotting someone is super satisfying and that's missing from 0 bloom. Needle rifle is broken now, no fun to use. I was never a fan but now you just hold the trigger down lol.

I'm still trying to figure out the bleed through. I think it should be a shot 3 with DMR and melee to kill but it's somewhere between 3 and 4 shots it seems. Not pleased with that.

no offense but if bloom is really that taxing for you then what the fuck

Homeboyd

Gabotron ES said:
Sure bro ;)
Also, I have already said this but I would like to try out my Invasion: Highlands gametype, a lot of effort was put on it.

GT: Gabotron ES
Yeah, be happy to check it out.

Gui_PT said:
Mind if I add you? I can do customs whenever.
Of course not, fire away.

PooBone

BigShow36 said:
I fail to see how we can bring "satisfaction" into our balance. Who deserves to be satisfied? A new player who wants to kill anyone, or an expert who wants to be rewarded for their time and ability?

You fail to understand an awful lot of points (your words) and this paragraph signifies wholly why you are not a game designer. I'm actually surprised Frankie has spent so much time responding to your arguments.

On a totally non-TU related note, I got Custom Edition working last night and played Project Lumoria, a fan made single player mod in which you play as a female Spartan on a forerunner planet. If was very fun, I was really impressed and it definitely felt like Halo with a couple exceptions. The cutscene animation and voice acting throughout are pretty atrocious, and they have a tendency to put shade turrets in places Bungie never would. It feels like a group of people who were awesome at Halo made a mod that they wanted to be really challenging to people who were already awesome at Halo. The music selection was very good and the art was fantastic. They were even able to implement drones, take out the 1 shot kill on hunters, and recreate some environments seen very early on in Halo's development that never came to fruition. Highly recommended.

Tashi0106 said:

on 100% melee it's 3 DMR/pistol shots and a melee for a kill.

on 75% melee it's between 3 and 4 like you said.

lol @ the tags on this file:

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/filedetails.aspx?fid=23745054&player=HaloWaypoint

orznge

Banned
PooBone said:
You fail to understand an awful lot of points (your words) and this paragraph signifies wholly why you are not a game designer. I'm actually surprised Frankie has spent so much time responding to your arguments.

"entertainment software"

Tawpgun

The Pistol and DMR compliment each other SO well.

EDIT: Just read the Bulletin. 343 coming to New York? THIS GIVES ME HOPE FOR A SHOWING AT PAX EAST. I wish I was still at home, I totally would go to NY Comic Con.

MrDaravon

Borrowed a friends retail copy of Reach. I was one of the people who honestly could take or leave bloom, but I'm not gonna lie no bloom feels good man. But yeah, the needle rifle and magnum are super broke with no bloom.

Hope they get the preview disc issue fixed soon for people who aren't as fortunate as I am to have access to a retail copy :(

Tawpgun

Magnum isn't broken. A DMR will still beat it long range. The pistol is used for mid-close.

And I love that. We played DMR and Pistol starts and it was so gud.

Devolution said:
Pistol is going to need a nerf, I'm already predicting this. You can just spam it at the body with relative ease and take someone out.
While the pistol without bloom is powerful, I think saying "relative ease" is a bit of an exaggeration. Without getting a headshot in, a kill basically requires the full clip, which seems pretty reasonable to me given the clip size and the fact that opponents won't be sitting still or not shooting you in return. Last night we played some games with increased movement speed and jump height, which did help some in countering the no-bloom pistol.

And if you nerf it, what do you nerf? It's only good for one kill before having to swap weapons or reload. Making it require more than 5 shots to kill someone is just going to be silly with an 8 bullet clip. And adding bloom means negating its rate of fire capabilities. So at that point, you might as well not use it over the DMR.

Personally, I enjoyed its power last night and from what I can tell, so did everyone else. And the majority of the games I played were a mix of pistol kills and DMR kills. I'll just have to play some more games to really get a feel for whether or not it's too powerful. Right now, I thinks it's fun to use, while not being the easiest weapon to spam and aim simultaneously, with the limitation of only being able to get one kill before reloading or switching weapons.
Gui_PT said:
Anything that helps counter the ridiculous abundance of power weapons in Reach is a good thing imo :)

A27 Tawpgun said:
Magnum isn't broken. A DMR will still beat it long range. The pistol is used for mid-close.

And I love that. We played DMR and Pistol starts and it was so gud.

I had fun with it, but it is broken IMO. RoF is way too high.

PooBone said:
Question: For CEA will the Reach pistol's clip be increased to 12 instead of 8?
I was under the impression that we've seen the types of changes that can be adjusted for this TU, which means changing clip sizes and rates of fire for different weapons is not possible. I could be wrong, though.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
PooBone said:
Question: For CEA will the Reach pistol's clip be increased to 12 instead of 8?
In Singleplayer the pistol is identical to the one you remember. For multiplayer, that particular change was outside the scope of the TU. Still a damn deadly weapon.

PooBone

lybertyboy said:
In Singleplayer the pistol is identical to the one you remember. For multiplayer, that particular change was outside the scope of the TU. Still a damn deadly weapon.
bummer.

Oh well.

Deputy Moonman said:
I was under the impression that we've seen the types of changes that can be adjusted for this TU, which means changing clip sizes and rates of fire for different weapons is not possible. I could be wrong, though.

You're right about clip size. The rate of fire can be changed however and will be for the 3sk magnum in classic.

Played a few customs with Gui, Zoolader and Retro. There's a purity to no bloom that doesn't exist with normal Reach. It was awesome, push forward those beta hoppers!

lybertyboy said:
Does that go for changing the rate of fire on certain weapons as well? The pistol is deadly, but with limitations 8) I'm curious how a 3 shot kill pistol will work if some people are already claiming the 5 shot no-bloom pistol is too powerful.

EDIT: NM. Thanks Henery
thee henery said:
You're right about clip size. The rate of fire can be changed however and will be for the 3sk magnum in classic.

Played a few customs with Gui, Zoolader and Retro. There's a purity to no bloom that doesn't exist with normal Reach. It was awesome, push forward those beta hoppers!
Cool. That's good to know. I'd rather the weapons be balanced by rate of fire as opposed to various implementations of bloom. And QFT on the second half of your post!

Deputy Moonman said:
Does that go for changing the rate of fire on certain weapons as well? The pistol is deadly, but with limitations 8) I'm curious how a 3 shot kill pistol will work if some people are already claiming the 5 shot no-bloom pistol is too powerful.

CE pistol has a rate of fire limit, the regular pistol doesn't.

EDIT: I just saw your edit.

I'm just getting around to beating Reach on Legendary solo, and the end of Exodus, on the beach that they used for the Firefight map, is one of the hardest things I've ever seen in a Halo game. Between the mountains of enemies, Chieftains everywhere, useless allies, Ghosts, and the psychic Wraiths...I'm having PTSD flashbacks to Sniper Alley, only this is more painful. And I thought the hanger on LNoS with the two Focus Rifles and the FRG were bad...

ElRenoRaven

So just woke up any updates on preview disc version? That update still borked, taken down, or fixed? I'm assuming still borked and up.

Thagomizer said:
I'm just getting around to beating Reach on Legendary solo, and the end of Exodus, on the beach that they used for the Firefight map, is one of the hardest things I've ever seen in a Halo game. Between the mountains of enemies, Chieftains everywhere, useless allies, Ghosts, and the psychic Wraiths...I'm having PTSD flashbacks to Sniper Alley, only this is more painful. And I thought the hanger on LNoS with the two Focus Rifles and the FRG were bad...

Oh just you wait. Wait until the level to get to the POA and that foundry room with the Elites. Oh that room I spent hours on. It was honestly the toughest part of campaign I thought. The spot you're stuck at is right behind it though. Those damn Psychic Wraiths. grrrr

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The Real Napsta said:
on 100% melee it's 3 DMR/pistol shots and a melee for a kill.

on 75% melee it's between 3 and 4 like you said.

lol @ the tags on this file:

http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/filedetails.aspx?fid=23745054&player=HaloWaypoint
Ahh ok. I thought something was fishy because my teammates told me one thing but I guess we played the MLG version and thats where I tried it out. Something still needs to be done though I think.

And Orange, what do you mean? I like the pacing, it's fun.

Homeboyd

Thagomizer said:
There are definitely some easy shortcuts you can use to knock that whole section out in a matter of sections. I won't spoil the fun for you if you want to complete it with Halo Honor™ in tact... but really, it isn't cheating or playing the game improperly.. it's just shortcuts.

Homeboyd said:
There are definitely some easy shortcuts you can use to knock that whole section out in a matter of sections. I won't spoil the fun for you if you want to complete it with Halo Honor™ in tact... but really, it isn't cheating or playing the game improperly.. it's just shortcuts.

I'm actually perfectly aware of the cheats, but I wanted to beat it without them. After spending about an hour and a half listening to the same background chatter, my patience is at its end.

Top Bottom