• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

FyreWulff said:
Probably the same way Halo 2's BXR let you kill faster than the actions on their own:

Magic

Even if you BXR'd at someone's stomach they'd still instantly die, even though BR body shots after a single punch shouldn't result in death.
I never had to deal with BXR in Halo 2. (LAN parties only.)

I think that might've been my first time experiencing BXR. For some reason, I thought it was either:
A) A way to double melee, or
B) A faster way to reload

That looked terrible. I know I'm going to step on people's toes here, but why do some of you guys want that back?

senador

Banned
Wha?

I just tried my Reach preview disc and got the update. Then it kicked me out and said "This game has been updated to an incompatiable version." I can't get into the game at all now. :(

ElRenoRaven

senador said:
Wha?

I just tried my Reach preview disc and got the update. Then it kicked me out and said "This game has been updated to an incompatiable version." I can't get into the game at all now. :(

Wow that sucks. Guess I'll just stick with my retail disc for awhile till everything is fixed. That does make me just think though WTF 343!?!?!?!

Booshka

senador said:
Wha?

that sounds fun, I'm gonna try it.

Edit: LOL, totally breaks it, try again 343. haha

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
senador said:
Wha?

Delete the TU if possible.

senador

Banned
Plywood said:

Been trying, but it doesn't seem to be there. My list of items for Reach is 277 long. Gone through it several times and I don't see anything that could be the update.

I'd just my retail disc, but my Xbox got knocked over with it inside at a friends house and the disc has lovely round scratches in it and it won't load. :/

Booshka said:
you can, just clear cache, you can't play online though, because you have to deny the update.

Good call, that did it. The update didn't show up for this disc earlier, why now?

Booshka

Plywood said:
you can, just clear cache, you can't play online though, because you have to deny the update.

343 is working on an update for Preview discs I assume, and are just throwing them out there to see if they work I assume.

ElRenoRaven

Booshka said:

343 is working on an update for Preview discs I assume, and are just throwing them out there to see if they work I assume.

No. There is no way updates are thrown out there to see if they work. There is a testing process they go through. It never involves just throwing something out there into the wild. That's why this surprises me so much. Something like that surely would have been caught in testing.

Booshka

PsychoRaven said:
No. There is no way updates are thrown out there to see if they work. There is a testing process they go through. It never involves just throwing something out there into the wild. That's why this surprises me so much. Something like that surely would have been caught in testing.
I bet these are being thrown out there if they are only for the few 1000 ppl that are Preview disc users. I never got the prompt to download the TU when it was up earlier for Retail reach. I am assuming that they are just creating updates custom to the preview disc and putting them out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
PsychoRaven said:
Preview discs are weird and in real life, as opposed to test environments, presented us an unexpected challenge. As I said, we are trying to figure out a solution.

Sowwy. We really are trying to solve. Only plus points they are really rare and often redundant. Doesn't help the foks affected, I know.

wwm0nkey

OuterWorldVoice said:
Preview discs are weird and in real life, as opposed to test environments, presented us an unexpected challenge. As I said, we are trying to figure out a solution.

Sowwy. We really are trying to solve. Only plus points they are really rare and often redundant. Doesn't help the foks affected, I know.
Keep on pushing out as many TUs until it works! lol

senador

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:

Meh, I personally don't mind. I appreciate the effort. You guys inherited Reach, and I imagine it wasn't 343i's idea to do Reach preview discs so you inherited that too and now you get to solve the problems. ;)

Good luck, hopefully you guys get to go to bed sometime. I know how through the night development goes though. Gooood times.

Booshka

OuterWorldVoice said:

Good luck and thanks for working on it.

ElRenoRaven

Edited due to reply while typing.

OuterWorldVoice said:

No problem Frankie. I understand that totally. Test Environment can't always perfectly replicate real world conditions. Also I'm sure that with an update like this the testing process isn't as thorough as it normally would be.

FyreWulff

PsychoRaven said:
Again they will not do that. They would test it first. There is no way at all they would do that. If anything it could be a wrong build of the update got uploaded. I'd actually put money on that happening over it being a mistake on 343's part.

Actually, yeah, this would be on Microsoft's cert department.

Man, the sense of self-entitle...

Wait, whaaaaa?

:^)

It's so great to see supporting, understanding people. If only I could bottle some of that up and release it into the Trendy forums. (Though, honestly, the people on the Trendy forums have a right to be pissed off. It just makes me a little sad.)

Just getting off work. 3 a.m. Burger King run. Working at a college newspaper is fun.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
Actually, yeah, this would be on Microsoft's cert department.

Yup. As Frankie said sometimes test environment can't catch everything. Also let's be honest this is a rush job that's being done. Mistakes happen and errors do get made. Hell the only reason I know for sure it would be tested is because I've seen what games and patches go through there first hand. They don't take this stuff lightly. But at the same time they're only human. For now. DUN DUN DUN

stephen08

Took a break from Gears and tried out the gametype. Pretty much what I remember/expected. Balancing gets screwed up for default map weapon spawns. What's interesting and what I didn't expect was the interplay between DMR and Magnum. That's a neat interaction. Glad the whiners have a gametype to appease them :p

blamite

Deputy Moonman said:
Also, what's a preview disc?
When Microsoft was testing that dashboard update that added support for a "new disc format" they sent out a bunch of copies of Reach on the new discs to testers. Apparently they have some difference that made the TU not download, and now download a borked version.

ElRenoRaven

blamite said:
When Microsoft was testing that dashboard update that added support for a "new disc format" they sent out a bunch of copies of Reach on the new discs to testers. Apparently they have some difference that made the TU not download, and now download a borked version.

Yup the preview disc was from the last dashboard update. Some of us testers got this disc with Retail Reach but using this new "format" while others just downloaded the update. This was done to test to make sure that when the update is installed from retail discs it wouldn't screw up anything. Microsoft assured everyone that this disc would continue to function as if it were retail product. Sadly this also mucked up things as you can see with the title update because now instead of one version of the game there are 3 to worry about between retail, downloadable, and this preview disc. And with that it's sleep time.

Hitmonchan107 said:

Wait, whaaaaa?

It's so great to see supporting, understanding people. If only I could bottle some of that up and release it into the Trendy forums. (Though, honestly, the people on the Trendy forums have a right to be pissed off. It just makes me a little sad.)

Just getting off work. 3 a.m. Burger King run. Working at a college newspaper is fun.
How can you do this? How many hours sleep you get?

FyreWulff

NR auto headshotting tested and confirmed.

Unfortunately the Hydra seems to be down for a while

ATTENTION: Due to compatibility issues with the recent Halo: Reach Title Update, film rendering may be delayed for up to 48 hours.

Film 1:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23750897&player=FyreWulff

Slayer on default Reach. Firing at the waist of my target results in normal activity - same number of body shots required. I go full bloom with the NR and still don't get a headshot from bullet magnetism. Shots are paced in this film with the NR to simulate the no-bloom gametype and the magnetism does not occur.

Film 2:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23750900&player=FyreWulff

Slayer on Bloomless gametype. Just like at Halofest, the nobloom Needle Rifle automatically fires at the head even when I'm shooting at the target's waist. From your POV it looks like you are firing at their waist, but when you pop out to third you can see the bullet is being autoaim'd onto the target's head for all shots.

You can download the films or run the test yourself. I probably wouldn't use NRs if you're going to use zero bloom with the current TU/gametype. Probably why the gametype given to us was DMR/Pistol :)

Making a SUPER SWAT gametype right now with NR starts and the nobloom gametype

Hypertrooper said:

No...because Reach is now awesome.

Hitmonchan107 said:

Wait, whaaaaa?

3AM Burger King run's are pretty low bro. 3AM Jack in the Box runs however, are excellent :p

blamite said:
PsychoRaven said:
Yup the preview disc was from the last dashboard update. Some of us testers got this disc with Retail Reach but using this new "format" while others just downloaded the update. This was done to test to make sure that when the update is installed from retail discs it wouldn't screw up anything. Microsoft assured everyone that this disc would continue to function as if it were retail product. Sadly this also mucked up things as you can see with the title update because now instead of one version of the game there are 3 to worry about between retail, downloadable, and this preview disc. And with that it's sleep time.
Thanks. I had no idea Microsoft did that. I googled "Halo:Reach preview disc" and came up with this article: Xbox 360 Update Preview discs are in the mail

Thought I'd post the gametype we were playing today: Link

• DMR and Pistol start
  • No AA's
  • 120 speed
  • 125 jump
  • 150 gravity
  • 110 shield recharge
  • supershields enabled (OS will give flaming feet)

Tunavi

Banned
TU Discovery from Tonight's customs:
If you are stuck in armor lock and you come out of AL before the sticky detonates, you will survive.
This is broken, please take armor lock out of matchmaking.

Also, thank you 343, Reach has never been more fun than Zero Bloom.

Steelyuhas said:
3AM Burger King run's are pretty low bro. 3AM Jack in the Box runs however, are excellent :p
Jack in the Box has curly fries, and I like the Ultimate Cheeseburger and Sourdough Jack, but Burger King's Whopper with cheese is pretty sweet. Burger King also has Rodeo Burgers!

But I never get to eat at Burger King with my friends, because they all hate it now. They lived in the OU dorms, which has a 24/7 burger king in one of the buildings. Now they won't go near a Burger King because of massive BK burnout, lol.
Steelyuhas said:
Thought I'd post the gametype we were playing today: Link

• DMR and Pistol start
  • No AA's
  • 120 speed
  • 125 jump
  • 150 gravity
  • 110 shield recharge
  • supershields enabled (OS will give flaming feet)
Downloaded!

Deputy Moonman said:
Jack in the Box has curly fries, and I like the Ultimate Cheeseburger and Sourdough Jack, but Burger King's Whopper with cheese is pretty sweet. Burger King also has Rodeo Burgers!

But I never get to eat at Burger King with my friends, because they all hate it now. They lived in the OU dorms, which has a 24/7 burger king in one of the buildings. Now they won't go near a Burger King because of massive BK burnout, lol.

To be honest, I only get the breakfast at Jack when I go (no matter what time it is lol), and the Ultimate Breakfast sandwich is straight crack good. Also, a heart attack.

Hypertrooper said:
How can you do this? How many hours sleep you get?
On a good night, five.

The average has been four.

Steelyuhas said:
Burger King was a bust. Apparently, there's a mythical time between lunch/supper and breakfast where it doesn't serve anything. There are some who say this time doesn't exist. These people are called "normal people" who work 9-to-5 jobs and have food in their house to eat late at night.

These people are wrong.

I grabbed two crispy chicken snack wraps from MickeyD's and called it a night.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Burger King was a bust. Apparently, there's a mythical time between lunch/supper and breakfast where it doesn't serve anything. There are some who say this time doesn't exist. These people are called "normal people" who work 9-to-5 jobs and have food in their house to eat late at night.

These people are wrong.

I grabbed two crispy chicken snack wraps from MickeyD's and called it a night.

Wait, they are open, but they don't serve anything?!

FyreWulff

Zero bloom NR + Revenant passenger seat = Amazing

Anyway, here you go

Super SWAT 64

No bloom
1 x Frag
Sprint, unlimited usage
NR start only
No weapons on map
No turrets on map
Weapon pickup disabled
Infinite ammo

t Hitmochan: yeah, BK switches from lunch/dinner to breakfast at about 2am. Disappointing when you want an early morning Rodeo Burger..

Steelyuhas said:
Wait, they are open, but they don't serve anything?!
Exactly.

roVxh.jpg

Ramirez

OuterWorldVoice said:

Just mail me a retail copy, thanks in advance!

NOKYARD

Steelyuhas said:
Also, not sure what people are talking about with the "dolphin gun" NR. It kills significantly slower than the pistol and DMR. It's not overpowered at all.
Steelyuhas said:
Needle Rifle still kills slower than the DMR from my experience today. Not sure why people are thinking its overpowered. It's always been easier to use than the DMR, but kills slower, and the same thing seems to hold true now.

Hold the trigger in. On autopilot the NR's RoF is WAY faster than spamming the DMR. No one used it before because it resulted in spraying your shots all over the map. With zero bloom you could drive a mongoose along the solid path of needles.

NOKYARD said:
Hold the trigger in. On autopilot the NR's RoF is WAY faster than spamming the DMR. No one used it before because it resulted in spraying your shots all over the map. With zero bloom you could drive a mongoose along the solid path of needles.

The ROF is faster yes, but the weapons don't take the same amount of shots to kill.

MrDaravon

*wake up early to get Challenges done in Score Attack (as mm is broken for me) before I have stuff to do today*

*Halo updates! Yaaay!*

*gets kicked to dashboard for incompatible version*

Really? I mean yesterday it was just annoying and I was whining, but now as the game itself is literally 100% broken for me, I feel I have a pretty goddamn legitimate reason to be pissed off. At this point now I feel like I have to go buy another retail disc, as I'm just expecting this to happen with any future updates as well, Jesus Christ guys.

Top Bottom