• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

feel

Dammit I think the 110% damage resistance thing is not gonna work out. Less deadly grenades and constant bleedthrough headshots are nice, but you never get a warning that you're one shot away from death which leaves you always feeling like you died sooner than you were expecting.

edit-

why the fuck are you guys playing sprint gametypes?? so slooooooow

and with dmr+pistols too?? You guys have grown acostumed to the taste of broken and can't stay away from it now

Letters said:
Dammit I think the 110% damage resistance thing is not gonna work out. Less deadly grenades and constant bleedthrough headshots are nice, but you never get a warning that you're one shot away from death which leaves you always feeling like you died sooner than you were expecting.

Says the bad kid.

Booshka

Letters said:
Sounds like Halo 1 to me.

FyreWulff

Letters said:
, but you never get a warning that you're one shot away from death which leaves you always feeling like you died sooner than you were expecting.

This would be my main complain with bleedthrough in effect. First time in Reach that I felt someone got a BS kill on me was in bleedthrough customs. The feedback loop is all screwed up.

But I guess that lends to the authenticity of the Halo 2 online experience?

feel

Tunavi said:
Zero bloom Mlg maps customs with Gaf OMG THIS IS REAL HALO
And only took like 10 games for what I wanted (Classic) to show up. It's like I'm in matchmaking already!!! Yay :)

edit-
my mic's battery died, not like I was talking much, but just so you guys know

edit2- armor abilities and slow movement back again, I just don't get it... why would you guys want to play that? Oh well I'm out. Good games guys, thanks.

OK, I've been away forever now GhaleonEB. Is it safe to assume I'm late to the party for your Reach mega-review/manifesto/call-to-arms?

If not, that's cool. I'm a patient dude. Just checking.

*poke*

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Blinding said:
Those were some pretty good customs, definitely liking no-bloom thus far, though I'm intrigued by how 85% will play.
Yeah, I'm really curious about that, too. I can't imagine that it'll be better than 0%, but I'm willing to keep an open mind. 85% doesn't sound like "sweet spot" material to me. Maybe 65% at the highest. But we'll see.

Seriously awesome games today, folks. Feels good.

omg.kittens said:
Yeah, I'm really curious about that, too. I can't imagine that it'll be better than 0%, but I'm willing to keep an open mind. 85% doesn't sound like "sweet spot" material to me. Maybe 65% at the highest. But we'll see.

Seriously awesome games today, folks. Feels good.

I get the feeling when that beta hopper drops that going to even 85% after playing with no bloom is going to be brutal.

Sean P. said:
Reach is a stupid competition of who can whore power weapons more.
Fixed =)
Tunavi said:
The overpowered weapons make sense because so are the grenades, melees, and armor abilities.

KidA Seven said:
With no bloom, power weapon users get punished far more if they miss.

<3

omg.kittens said:
It's glorious.

KidA Seven said:
The first Halo had fast kill times. Also, people will learn not to rush non stop. Halo 3 introduced that rushing because it worked. Positioning like in Halo 2 and CE will be much more important now. Essentially, strats will adapt to the faster kill times.

BackdoorBeauty said:
I'm pretty happy with it. I think the shield bleed through mechanic, removal of bullet randomness, and return to the Halo 3 melee system is a huge improvement.

thezerofire said:
lol it's 5 shot as always, no damage modifiers were made.

obligatory LOL Who wouldn't want to play Halo this way
Can I adopt all of you into my family?

Crucio

GhaleonEB said:
I sent these guys a tweet (Xbox Live support on twitter). They replied in minutes, and after about 30 minutes of back and forth, I'd reconfigured my router (manually forwarding the ports). No issues since.

I went to their panel at PAX, where I learned about them. Pretty ace team of troubleshooters at Microsoft who use Twitter extensively to solve Live problems users are having.
Xbox Live Support Twitter is the best. Those guys are quick, friendly and helpful. Call center days are coming to and end, mark my words.

GhaleonEB said:
Knocked off all four Challenges today in one game of Firefight Doubles, for 16,916 cR in 20 minutes. Made a pretty nasty day at work end with a nice bang. I'll finish the Weekly Saturday or Sunday. I appreciate the larger Challenge payouts, they are worth going for once again.
Nearly pulled it off too, but Skirmigedon only had 120 enemies. GRR! Missed the Overlook challenge by 5 kills! Hate!

Sean P. said:
Highlands is a stupid competition of who can whore power weapons more.
I have to say I find myself sniping, A LOT in that map.

JonCha

So I played the Title Update and it just feels better... apart from the pistol. I assume the speed of it will be nerfed because in it's current form it will be the power weapon to end all power weapons.

Ramirez

xxjuicesxx said:
LoL at bitching about TU and preview discs. Like the extra couple days is going to be enough practice for you bad kids to be good at Halo.

So I was hired along with someone else at Fedex. Go into work today to find out he rage quit the job last night so now I get a pay raise. My life is fucking awesome.

If you were half as good as you thought you were you'd be about on the level of an average every day BK.

get mad

I was looking at the Jack of all trades commendation just now. I never realized that Rejections and EMP Blasts count toward it. Really? Now I want a medal for when I sprint away from gun encounters and survive. I also want a medal for every time I melee someone and take their shield down... #wtfisthisshit

Deputy Moonman said:
I was looking at the Jack of all trades commendation just now. I never realized that Rejections and EMP Blasts count toward it. Really? Now I want a medal for when I sprint away from gun encounters and survive. I also want a medal for every time I melee someone and take their shield down... #wtfisthisshit
EMP can be achieved using 3 tools of the sandbox. Don't misplace your hate of a ,soon to be nerfed, AL on poor old Grenade Launcher and PP.

From the customs, what sort of KDRs are we seeing? Are skill/spam kills more evident? I used to watch my roommate play Swat. He would spam the trigger... He therefore wasn't too good at landing headshots, I'd argue rightfully so. He'll probably play the same way in ZBS and kill a lot more. Does this sound like a good thing to you guys? Everyone should spam... always? My opinion is that the pistol magazine (cuz clip bugs that one dude here) is just small enough that bad players get punished when missing and that it can't really get a multikill on its own.

Just tested it in a custom game, I was wrong yesterday, even with extremely low health if you have full shields your still a 5 shot kill. Im pretty happy to admit I was wrong there. Would have been aweful if health affected shots to kill.

Deputy Moonman said:
Unfortunately, I'm still at work for another 2 hours.

I need to try this with Gaf, send me a invite if you see me on. :p

Hitmonchan107 said:
Is anybody awake? I might try out the TU.

I can wait for a decent hour, though. :^)
Unfortunately, I'm still at work for another 2 hours.
Hydranockz said:
EMP can be achieved using 3 tools of the sandbox. Don't misplace your hate of a ,soon to be nerfed, AL on poor old Grenade Launcher and PP.

From the customs, what sort of KDRs are we seeing? Are skill/spam kills more evident? I used to watch my roommate play Swat. He would spam the trigger... He therefore wasn't too good at landing headshots, I'd argue rightfully so. He'll probably play the same way in ZBS and kill a lot more. Does this sound like a good thing to you guys? Everyone should spam... always? My opinion is that the pistol magazine (cuz clip bugs that one dude here) is just small enough that bad players get punished when missing and that it can't really get a multikill on its own.
Yeah, I was aware of the 3. But I never knew what went into the Jack of All Trades commendation, so it was surprising. The grenade launcher is essentially a power weapon. So that's like giving a medal for blowing someone up with the rocket launcher. Power lock is cheap. So awarding the emp blast a medal is kind of lame. And then a charged plasma pistol shot does all the work for you. How does that warrant any kind of a medal? Just random thoughts that really don't have any bearing on anything. I guess the jack of all trades commendation is really supposed to award variety in kills, and not necessarily an incredible feat.

In answer to the second part of your post, spamming doesn't bother me nearly as much when bloom is gone. Spamming shots, especially with the pistol at anything other than close range, is not as easy as some people are making it out to be. And then the small 8 bullet clip punishes a player for not making their shots count. So I kind of agree with you on the pistol clip thing. And the DMR i found to be totally different. When I played the day before yesterday, I actually found that pacing my DMR shots to a degree was still highly beneficial even with zero bloom.
bobs99 ... said:
I need to try this with Gaf, send me a invite if you see me on. :p
Definitely. I'll probably be on in about 2 and half hours from now and play for a few hours if you're around.

Striker

neoism said:
I'm looking forward to 85%... because BTB doesn't work with 0%
Zero bloom would work fine in BTB if the DMR was 2x, and didn't wreck vehicles. Halo 2 BTB with the hitscan BR was fantastic, and well balanced for it.

BackdoorBeauty said:
I'm pretty happy with it. I think the shield bleed through mechanic, removal of bullet randomness, and return to the Halo 3 melee system is a huge improvement.
Halo 3's trade-off melees were terrible.

FyreWulff

A27 Tawpgun said:
So, in Zero Bloom, can a headshot kill through shields?

Yes. Damage to shield is applied then damage to health is applied without the shields 'blowing off' the rest of the damage like in default Reach

However this doesn't explicitly need to be active in Zero Bloom, Bleedthrough is a separate setting that one would assume is mostly/only going to be in Classic in matchmaking.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Have you guys played the MLG Pit remake yet? I've had a good amount of time to play it now and it's a real delight. Because of sprint the map plays a little quicker but it still feels the same. The jumps and ledges are there for the most part and any little changes I'm finding not to be a big deal. The frame rate is locked 90% of the time so that's a treat. Flag routes, spawns and strategies are very similar. Evade is a pick up and around the close quarter parts of the map (flag, green hall, sword) it's super effective. I'm having a lot of fun with MLG v6.

Tawpgun

FyreWulff said:
Yes. Damage to shield is applied then damage to health is applied without the shields 'blowing off' the rest of the damage like in default Reach
Even for single shot weapons?

Eh, I wouldn't mind that being somehow fixed, but it isn't a big deal. I'd take that over bloom anyday.

Gui_PT

Tashi0106 said:
How are you guys finding your stats to be without bloom? Better? Worse? More assists?

Better for sure. More multikills. Assists are the same. Survive a lot more encounters.

I'm pretty sure I could kick your ass now =P

Falagard

ncsuDuncan said:
You might recognize a story or two (I posted a few here), but I tried to spice it up with some nice pictures and an obligatory description of toilet accommodations.

Haha, funny about looking for seat #117. Good write up.

Yes, we found out through this update that the pistol is slightly more powerful than the DMR. With bleedthrough, 4 shots from the DMR merely strips shields, but 4 shots from the pistol strips shields and 1 degree of the health meter, making it a 4 shot kill if the 4th shot is in the head.

I played customs with VeroHime yesterday and she confirmed the gametype has default damage settings. From now on, I'll be hitting vehicles with my pistol first.

The pistol is great fun but... it's a joke. Whoever said the thing has too much magnetism wasn't lying. I was playing a 3v3 yesterday on Sanctuary, the game came down to 49-49, their guy put two dmr shots on me, I quickly blasted the pistol at him and we won 50-49. I felt like Ogre fucking 2 in Halo ce. Imagine my disappointment, then, when I went in the theatre to relive the moment to find only two of the five shots were actually anywhere near him and the rest basically missed. It was like that ar video where the edge of the reticle is on the guy and all the shots hit.

I can't take the weapon seriously after that. The dmr is fine, mind.

PooBone

Devolution said:
For the bloomtards.

gRl8n.png
I lawled!

The Real Napsta said:
Why does everyone think the pistol is 4sk now? I have seen people say this on multiple forums.

EDIT: wait, it really is a 4 shot?
I believe it is, thanks to bleed through.

ManBearPanda

Neo Member
The Real Napsta said:
Why does everyone think the pistol is 4sk now? I have seen people say this on multiple forums.

EDIT: wait, it really is a 4 shot?

The fourth shot will normally just drop shields, but because of bleed-through, if your fourth shot is a headshot, it'll bleed-through and kill them.

Top Bottom