• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Farooq

Banned
Good Games

One thing though, I agree with Devo's idea of 1 grenade spawn. They are less op with the classic settings but the grenade spam can be a bit too much. It's better if the game doesn't devolve into a clusterfuck of grenades going off.

Farooq said:
Good Games

One thing though, I agree with Devo's idea of 1 grenade spawn. They are less op with the classic settings but the grenade spam can be a bit too much. It's better if the game doesn't devolve into a clusterfuck of grenades going off.

Yeah seems like the one thing H3 got right was nades.

Tunavi said:
You are forgiven

Don't believe I've said that. Ever.

lol to be honest, zero bloom and turning my sensitivity up because of it has left me struggling right now.

Don't worry, I'll get used to it, and go back to dominating in ways that carries you to a free steak.

Havok

Devolution said:
Yeah seems like the one thing H3 got right was nades.
I'm terms of damage and stuff, they were great. Too bad they'd stay on the ground after every death practically indefinitely. When I went back and played a game of Slayer Pit a few weeks ago, there were literally 20 grenades littering the ground in front of red base at one point.

Booshka

Havok said:
I'm terms of damage and stuff, they were great. Too bad they'd stay on the ground after every death practically indefinitely. When I went back and played a game of Slayer Pit, there were literally 20 grenades littering the ground in front of red base at one point.
I remember making a clip of me running over nades and just spamming them for like 3 mins straight on High Ground. I was in that open area right at the Gate entrance and there were just nades all over the place, it was so stupid.

Farooq said:
Good Games

There should be always 1 Grenade spawn in every playlist. Especially Grenade spamming is a death trap on maps like Zealot, Countdown etc. Grenade should be use to kill someone purposefully and not "everyone is throwing grenades, let's hope for a kill!". Or they nerf the grenades. And I know, what I'm talking about. There is a special relationship between me and these little things.

Devolution said:
Booshka check PMs.
I want to get a PM too. :(

Hypertrooper said:
If I had time, I would join you. It was fun, when we did the Deja-Vu run.

Oh god, the mongoose betraying :lol

Looked like I missed some awesome customs yesterday night. Was too tired to play from my school week to stay up that late.

Striker

Booshka said:
I remember making a clip of me running over nades and just spamming them for like 3 mins straight on High Ground. I was in that open area right at the Gate entrance and there were just nades all over the place, it was so stupid.
I should have taken a picture of it. One of my last games on Halo 3 was some slayer game in Construct (lol) and I went back into theater to count the frag grenades all scattered around gold lift, because the sword guy kept camping there and it all became a hell hole. There was at least 20-25 in that time frame alone. That to me killed any balance the frags brought to the table in that game.

xxjuicesxx said:
Guys please report to your GymTanDong Stations. Thank you in advance.

If anyone knows anything about databases and website design please PM me. I'd like to keep an active Excel/Access database of kids I've cleansed but not actually put that UP on my webpage. What I want is a box in the middle of my page that says Have you been cleansed/Enter your gamertag or something like that and when they do it checks the database to see if its in there with links to the game so its not just like they take my word but can see the gamestats. Theres some money in it depending on how hard a project it is.

It could probably be done fairly easily/ quickly. I was doing something similar at work so could probably knock it out in like 15 mins.

EDIT: Actually I wouldnt know how to automatically build up the list. You would have to enter GT's in manually, screw that.

Striker said:
I should have taken a picture of it. One of my last games on Halo 3 was some slayer game in Construct (lol) and I went back into theater to count the frag grenades all scattered around gold lift, because the sword guy kept camping there and it all became a hell hole. There was at least 20-25 in that time frame alone. That to me killed any balance the frags brought to the table in that game.

You must've been playing scrubs that don't throw their nades then.

One nade starts are a nish nish. The grenades weren't even a problem in the no bloom customs I played, movement was upped so evading them was easier. I think I only died by nades from Havok in the gaf customs. They were well placed nades

Striker

What's the level of competition got to do with it? Frags lying on the ground for much of the game or entire rounds is extremely foolish and holds no strategic value. They just become another spam filter.

Striker said:
What's the level of competition got to do with it? Frags lying on the ground for much of the game or entire rounds is extremely foolish and holds no strategic value. They just become another spam filter.

A fair amount. If the game was full of half decent people the guy with the sword wouldnt have got so many kills top gold and so there wouldnt be as many nades lying around. Or if people used the nades on him but died there wouldnt be so many nades lying around.

It honestly does sound like a 'problem' you would only get in those kind of circumstances to be fair and if the game is playing out like that anyway then its not like the nades on the floor are going to make the game any more nooby than it already is lol.

Dont get me wrong, I know it can be a problem, but would you want them to despawn all grenades quicker to stop the very few times nades can build up in that way? I personally think it happens so rarely that why get rid of the nades.

Striker

It was a problem throughout the entire MP, not simply one map. And it wasn't caused by the Sword carrier. Each dead body that had leftover grenades, which was quite common due to the droppings it unloads after each death, produced even more. It was even more problematic on small maps like Narrows, Construct, and Guardian. Frags were everywhere.

It was a problem in the Reach beta as well with the grenades scattered everywhere due to them not disappearing.

They made the better decision by forcing them to disappear after a short time, thankfully. An issue arises when they do the same to weapons, so when you die and you go back to pick up your Plasma Launcher or Sniper, it's already gone.

MrBig

Tried ZBS. My bullets go exactly down the middle of my crosshair, which is much, much too accurate. Needs to a be a reduction in bloom, not a removal, to make it more "classic."

The Real Napsta said:
You're kidding right?

I kinda agree with him: I think the DMR still needs a range reduction, a 2x zoom would be perfect. I don't like it that the DMR nearly has the range of the sniper. it's good for small maps like countdouwn or sanctuary but on the slightly bigger maps, it's range can get very anoying.

Tha Robbertster said:
I kinda agree with him: I think the DMR still needs a range reduction, a 2x zoom would be perfect. I don't like it that the DMR nearly has the range of the sniper. it's good for small maps like countdouwn or sanctuary but on the slightly bigger maps, it's range can get very anoying.

Play pistol start on big maps.

Hydranockz said:
Zero Bloom has problems too? Well damn.

Yup, and to be fair it was predicted here as soon as the TU was announced. The problem with Reach is that its issues lie pretty deep. You cant just get rid of bloom without sorting out balance in other areas. As much as I think No bloom is a improvement over vanilla Reach its not till Halo 4 where I think we will see a return to good old fashioned style of Halo.

Fixing something thats broken is a lot harder than designing and building from the ground up. Unfortunatly I think 343 are going to get flak for things that are out of the scope of 2 meg TU's.

Hydranockz said:
Zero Bloom has problems too? Well damn.
This is how I see it:

ugly-donkey3.jpg
Plus.jpg
horse.jpg
= Halo Reach zero bloom

MrBig

The Real Napsta said:
You're kidding right?
The weapons were never this accurate. It's fine for it's own thing, but there needs to be some error in the shots for a classic feel.
Even 343 has said that ZBS is ridiculous. I agree with them.

The Real Napsta said:
You're kidding right?
He might be serious, right now I finf myself getting destroyed from miles away in seconds, most of the time while trying to find cover or will trying to make some jumps. Stop a second and BAM! you're dead.
Also, the headshot/bleedtrought system is broken right now, way too inconsistent.

I'm not saying I dislike bloomless Reach, it's fucking awesome and my shots actually land where I wanted them to land xD, looking fordward to 85% bloom, it might work pretty well with Reach settings.

Also, bloomless Reach doesn't feel classic at all, the FOV, lower player height and 120% movement speed makes me feel dizzy after playing it for a while. I'm sure 343 will take all this in consideration and make an appropriate Halo 4.

I find myself having more fun in the invasion playlist than in HaloGAF zero bloom super ultra competitive and serious custom pro sessions
which I still love :p

Frankie, if you are listening: Halo 4 Invasion, two teams of 8 players, elites (4 players) and humans(4 players) v.s brutes (8 players). DO EET!

MrBig said:
The weapons were never this accurate. It's fine for it's own thing, but there needs to be some error in the shots for a classic feel.
Even 343 has said that ZBS is ridiculous. I agree with them.

H1 pistol and H2 BR fired straight as an arrow bro. I understand the pistol required you to lead shots and the BR didn't have the DMR's range though.

bobs99 ... said:
Yup, and to be fair it was predicted here as soon as the TU was announced. The problem with Reach is that its issues lie pretty deep. You cant just get rid of bloom without sorting out balance in other areas. As much as I think No bloom is a improvement over vanilla Reach its not till Halo 4 where I think we will see a return to good old fashioned style of Halo.

Fixing something thats broken is a lot harder than designing and building from the ground up. Unfortunatly I think 343 are going to get flak for things that are out of the scope of 2 meg TU's.
I'm not sure what the deep problems you are referring to are.

The problem is connection apparently. People eat shots now. No matter what the devs do, there'll always be some excuses that blame host on a game we all initially praised as having fantastic netcode. Personally, I'm having really great fun. I knew nothing would fundamentally change how I enjoyed Reach and ZBS will be a great addition in whatever form it takes in MM.

People will just complain about everything. You simply cannot win. Host isn't the definition of fun.

Hydranockz said:
I'm not sure what the deep problems you are referring to are.

The problem is connection apparently. People eat shots now. No matter what the devs do, there'll always be some excuses that blame host on a game we all initially praised as having fantastic netcode. Personally, I'm having really great fun. I knew nothing would fundamentally change how I enjoyed Reach and ZBS will be a great addition in whatever form it takes in MM.

People will just complain about everything. You simply cannot win. Host isn't the definition of fun.

Movement in terms of inertia and player weight. Slow shield recharge times. A lack of a real RoF, I could probably list a bunch of other things that dont work well with Zero Bloom but I wouldnt really blame the TU for those problems. Sure many of them can be sorted with game settings and options, but when Zero Bloom is in matchmaking what are the odds of the gametype also being modified? Also some of those game settings and options dont help matters much, for example speeding up the movement doesnt really help with strafing and the entire game feels like your on ice.

Really just removing bloom isnt enough, you need to deal with how everything interacts with eachother. Thats well out of the scope of the TU but I have high hopes for Halo 4.

Something that doesnt feel right is a 5 shot kill that kills so fast. Thats just too many shots to keep a pattern to it while also trying to kill quickly. The Pistol seems to have insane aim assist and so you dont even have to aim to kill with that thing quickly. Really less magnetism and less bullets to kill whilst having a rof to balance that out would be great.

Hydranockz I think the real reason im still complaining while your happy with it is because I still miss out BR battles played out. Is it fair to say you maybe enjoyed a different side of Halo and so the problems I have with Reach simply dont affect you? I know you have been bemused by the complaining for a long time, but I really do think its just because the stuff im complaining about is the stuff you dont care about. (As opposed to those aspects of Reach working fine.) I just dont think DMR battles with zero bloom actually involve much thought, it really seems to be about getting those shots out quickly. I kind of liked that halfway through a BR battle I had more options than continue putting shots out and hoping for the best lol.

Gabotron ES said:
He might be serious, right now I finf myself getting destroyed from miles away in seconds, most of the time while trying to find cover or will trying to make some jumps. Stop a second and BAM! you're dead.
Also, the headshot/bleedtrought system is broken right now, way too inconsistent.

How is it inconsistent?

The Real Napsta said:
How is it inconsistent?
The issue relates to how the health system works on Halo Reach and the way bleedthrought damage transfers from shield to health, this results in headshots pierceing through shields and crappy melee combat.

Hydranockz said:
Host? I don't know.
Nope, host is not a problem.

Merguson said:
I died from one shot from the DMR while I still had shields.

Didn't feel good.
See! that's what I mean by inconsistent.

Tashi0106 said:
Hey man how'd it go?
7.5 hour surgery, and the surgeons ended up not being able to use the robot for the whole thing. I have close to a 20", j-shaped scar on my right side under my arm and my back, and I'm slowly being weened off the incredibly awesome hospital drugs. If all goes well I might even be released from the hospital today.

I had plenty of time to catch up on the last 11 pages, lol. Videogame therapy shall be commencing soon.

squidhands said:
7.5 hour surgery, and the surgeons ended up not being able to use the robot for the whole thing. I have close to a 20", j-shaped scar on my right side under my arm and my back, and I'm slowly being weened off the incredibly awesome hospital drugs. If all goes well I might even be released from the hospital today.

I had plenty of time to catch up on the last 11 pages, lol. Videogame therapy shall be commencing soon.
Good to see you back squid ;)

Gabotron ES said:
The issue relates to how the health system works on Halo Reach and the way bleedthrought damage transfers from shield to health, this results in headshots pierceing through shields and crappy melee combat.

Every halo has head-shots bleeding though shields and every Halo since 2 has had crappy melee combat.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
squidhands said:

Wow. I'm glad you're doing ok now!

Top Bottom