• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

MrBig

StalkerUKCG said:
This is odd!
Looks like someone playing around with shaders on Reach and rotoing in a ripped H2 animation sequence. HUD is a static overlay

e: That is actually the HUD I made myself years ago for Custom Edition :lol

FyreWulff

Devolution said:
Oh please. If you're being shot by 3 different opposing team mates you and your team is playing wrong to begin with. God forbid people die by doing stupid shit in a team game.

I already did it at Halofest, on Ridgeline, against Team GAF. It was pretty much spawn, attempt to leave base of hills, oh hey there's 3 Spartans standing in the middle of the map, instantly die.

We weren't doing anything "wrong" except not being a preformed team and spawning and having the gametype switched to CTF so that we spawn on only one side in the open because a single person can block all the spawns inside the base.

Although as someone else brought up, the pistol being a 4SK in the custom gametype makes the CE:A Magnum Mode with 3SK seem more of a formality at this point.

The Halo 1 pistol wasn't hitscan nor had the massive bullet magnetism that repurposing the Halo Reach pistol results in.

It was a pretty boring and unfun gametype and I still look forward to playing Ridgeline.. in vanilla Reach.

Farooq

Banned
Devolution said:
Oh please. If you're being shot by 3 different opposing team mates you and your team is playing wrong to begin with. God forbid people die by doing stupid shit in a team game.

In the customs we played, I felt I was getting punished for doing some dumb ass things.

Stuff I would have gotten away with in Halo 3. This was most evident in the games that were played on the Pit.

Normally I would be really aggressive, but with those quick kill times (zero bloom), if I was out of position I would die. In Halo 3, I could run, duck my head and it's all gravy.

I'm excited to see where ZB takes Reach.

FyreWulff said:
I already did it at Halofest, on Ridgeline, against Team GAF. It was pretty much spawn, attempt to leave base of hills, oh hey there's 3 Spartans standing in the middle of the map, instantly die.

We weren't doing anything "wrong" except not being a preformed team and spawning and having the gametype switched to CTF so that we spawn on only one side in the open because a single person can block all the spawns inside the base.

Although as someone else brought up, the pistol being a 4SK in the custom gametype makes the CE:A Magnum Mode with 3SK seem more of a formality at this point.

The Halo 1 pistol wasn't hitscan nor had the massive bullet magnetism that repurposing the Halo Reach pistol results in

You were doing something wrong, you didn't gain map advantage and suffered for it. If another team is better at communicating and controlling the map, they will hold an advantage over yours, pure and simple. In the customs we played, if you just ran out willy nilly, you suffered for it. I don't know about anyone else but I had to play a hell of a lot smarter in the no bloom games.

FyreWulff

Devolution said:
You were doing something wrong, you didn't gain map advantage and suffered for it. If another team is better at communicating and controlling the map, they will hold an advantage over yours, pure and simple.

Playing a TU demo at a convention: serious biznes

We were also Elites while they were Spartans.

MrBig said:
Looks like someone playing around with shaders on Reach and rotoing in a ripped H2 animation sequence. HUD is a static overlay

e: That is actually the HUD I made myself years ago for Custom Edition :lol

That was my thought but reach dosnt allow tag importing does it?

Farooq said:
I'm excited to see where ZB takes Reach.

I am too. I'm not sure what kind of game people want if 3 people firing down on your ass doesn't kill you.

Personally I wouldn't mind the pistol being nerfed but 8v8 pistols wasn't even that bad. It was actually better than 8v8 dmr lol. I just gotta remember to change leader settings heh.

Some of my deaths too, it's like I didn't jump or strafe enough. My fault.

FyreWulff

Devolution said:
Yeah apparently it's serious enough for you to critique but not serious enough when I poke holes in what you're posting.

Hurp durp.

You didn't poke holes in anything. We spawned in the open, unprotected, in a gametype with 3SK pistols going around with hitscan and aim magnetism, and were just a bunch of convention goers thrown together onto a station.

It was over after the first mid-map skirmish, since we spawned in the open, unprotected, against 3SK pistols going around with hitscan and magnetism.

When we spawned in the open, with the aim magnetised pistols that took 3 shots to kill, the group in the middle just had to point in our general direction and pound the trigger for anyone attempting to take back the middle or go for the flag (I saw my teammates trying) instantly, because it was 8v8.

In other sessions where I was on the winning team in the gametype with unprotected spawns and a three shot kill UNSC sidearm, it was the same story in reverse. Small group got in the middle and spawnlocked and spawnkilled the other team after the first battle.

It might be slightly better on smaller maps, but the Megalo scripted title-update enabled Halo game simulation with the triple-shot kill Magnum and unsafe player location initialization vectors was pretty unfun being on both the winning team and losing team. I don't like one gun games.

Nobody here is asking for a mode where you eat 50 bullets before dying, but suddenly going popDEAD on a big map is just annoying.

FyreWulff said:
You didn't poke holes in anything. We spawned in the open, unprotected, in a gametype with 3SK pistols going around with hitscan and aim magnetism, and were just a bunch of convention goers thrown together onto a station.

It was over after the first mid-map skirmish, since we spawned in the open, unprotected, against 3SK pistols going around with hitscan and magnetism.

When we spawned in the open, with the aim magnetised pistols that took 3 shots to kill, the group in the middle just had to point in our general direction and pound the trigger for anyone attempting to take back the middle or go for the flag (I saw my teammates trying) instantly, because it was 8v8.

In other sessions where I was on the winning team in the gametype with unprotected spawns and a three shot kill UNSC sidearm, it was the same story in reverse. Small group got in the middle and spawnlocked and spawnkilled the other team after the first battle.

It might be slightly better on smaller maps, but the Megalo scripted title-update enabled Halo game simulation with the triple-shot kill Magnum and unsafe player location initialization vectors was pretty unfun being on both the winning team and losing team. I don't like one gun games.

So it's a map and spawning issue that you decided was the fault of the pistol. Good job skewing whatever happens into your anti-bloom agenda.

FyreWulff said:

The Halo 1 pistol wasn't hitscan nor had the massive bullet magnetism that repurposing the Halo Reach pistol results in.

It was a pretty boring and unfun gametype and I still look forward to playing Ridgeline.. in vanilla Reach.
Personally I wouldn't mind slightly higher damage resistances(or some other alternative) to make it a 5sk minimum. The skill is there when needing to land kill shots but team shooting doesn't take a bullet from 3 people :p

FyreWulff

Hydranockz said:
Personally I wouldn't mind slightly higher damage resistances(or some other alternative) to make it a 5sk minimum. The skill is there when needing to land kill shots but team shooting doesn't take a bullet from 3 people :p

Why would you make the Halo 1 pistol a 5sk minimum? Then you've just remade the Reach pistol.

Hydranockz said:

I think the magnetism on the pistol needs to be lowered or the rof toned down, or both. And games should be one or the other. So that you have to pick up a DMR for that long range optimal play or you have to pick up the pistol if you want a close range demolisher. Spawning with both is dumb.

Devolution said:
So it's a map and spawning issue that you decided was the fault of the pistol. Good job skewing whatever happens into your anti-bloom agenda.
I don't think he said 3sk or magnetism enough times...

Also, don't you mean an anti-anti-bloom agenda?

FyreWulff said:
Why would you make the Halo 1 pistol a 5sk minimum? Then you've just remade the Reach pistol.
I think the Reach pistol is perfect as is :/

Hydranockz said:
I don't think he said 3sk or magnetism enough times...

Also, don't you mean an anti-anti-bloom agenda?

Anti-nobloom is what I meant. My issue is how he's arguing about it. 3 people firing down on you kills you quick with precision weapons, more news at 11.

feel

wwm0nkey those classic settings on your fileshare are nice. I like that the grenades are nerfed while still making the fourth DMR shot drop the shield, so that way we still get the danger warning when close do death. Good job.

Will apply those tweaks to my MM friendly classic version that has AR secondary and radar. AR is harmless in no bloom settings and I find it nice to have sitting there just in case. I find having no secondary weapon unsettling actually.

I'm really dying to see if this gametype ends up being a playlist in Reach, hopefully requiring the CEA maps too.

Here you go, Fyrewulff (and anyone else intrigued):

Duncan's Crazy-Ass Breakpoint Map

It's nowhere near done, just trying to give you an idea of the layout. No spawns/weapons/vehicles yet. (The Warthog is only there for testing.) I still need to scatter a few more rocks/barriers.

Let me know what you think.

wwm0nkey

Letters said:
wwm0nkey those classic settings on your fileshare are nice. I like that the grenades are nerfed while still making the fourth DMR shot drop the shield, so that way we still get the danger warning when close do death. Good job.

Will apply those tweaks to my MM friendly classic version that has AR secondary and radar. AR is harmless in no bloom settings and I find it nice to have sitting there just in case. I find having no secondary weapon unsettling actually.

I'm really dying to see if this gametype ends up being a playlist in Reach, hopefully requiring the CEA maps too.
I hope if there is a Zero Bloom Slayer playlist after the beta hoppers end that the GAF settings are the default settings for the playlist, it really is the perfect fit for FFA and 4v4 matches.

GhaleonEB

Devolution said:
FWIW, I literally walked away from the one 3-shot pistol game I got into during HaloFest. It has more to do with SWAT than a regular game of Halo. Map spawning had nothing to do with it.

ElRenoRaven

You people are all messed up. I'll order the Halo's online play by best to worst.

Halo (PC Version don't need no tunneling fools)
Halo 3 (It was perfect minus equipment and Splaser)
Halo: Reach (Without AA's it's damn fun. Nitpicks be damned. Also remove Splaser)
Halo: ODST (This low cause it only had Firefight and lacked MM for it.)
Halo 2 (Rocket lock on, Auto Aim out the ass, Endless sword, Lunge, Duel wield or die)

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Devolution said:
3 people firing down on you kills you quick with precision weapons, more news at 11.
:lol

As Monkey pointed out during a match about an hour ago, the skill gap has widened significantly with zero bloom. I pretty much suck at Reach now, hah. But it's okay, I don't care if I lose every encounter, cause the gunplay is actually fun now.

kylej

Banned
H3 netcode and BR spread freakin' blows.

Halo 3 with its best maps & Halo 2 maps, solid 60fps, dedicated servers, hit-scan BR. One day this will be released, and I will cry a thousand tears of solace.

feel

kylej said:
Halo 3 with its best maps & Halo 2 maps, solid 60fps, dedicated servers, hit-scan BR. One day this will be released, and I will cry a thousand tears of solace.
First perfect Halo multiplayer opinion/suggestion of the day. Or year.

GhaleonEB said:
FWIW, I literally walked away from the one 3-shot pistol game I got into during HaloFest. It has more to do with SWAT than a regular game of Halo. Map spawning had nothing to do with it.

We played an 8v8 pistol game (albeit I fucked up and forgot to change leader settings so people also spawned with DMRs). It wasn't that bad. I can kill people with the DMR while they have pistol if they're not landing their shots or firing fast enough. I have a feeling people aren't used to spamming and getting bent out of shape about it. Personally I think its RoF or magnetism can be toned down.

But if you're getting spot by multiple people, you should be dying quick. No bloom reach managed to make it so when 3 people are bearing down on someone, if they're eating shots already, it's awful and they can survive. You should join some of the no bloom customs, it's so smooth and you run the wrong way or put yourself in bad situations, you will die. I said a spawning issue because it's much less of a problem with cover and spawning behind cover. Game could definitely use some spawns behind cover especially with how fast people go down.

Devolution said:
We played an 8v8 pistol game (albeit I fucked up and forgot to change leader settings so people also spawned with DMRs). It wasn't that bad. I can kill people with the DMR while they have pistol if they're not landing their shots or firing fast enough. I have a feeling people aren't used to spamming and getting bent out of shape about it. Personally I think its RoF or magnetism can be toned down.

But if you're getting spot by multiple people, you should be dying quick. No bloom reach managed to make it so when 3 people are bearing down on someone, if they're eating shots already, it's awful and they can survive. You should join some of the no bloom customs, it's so smooth and you run the wrong way or put yourself in bad situations, you will die. I said a spawning issue because it's much less of a problem with cover and spawning behind cover. Game could definitely use some spawns behind cover especially with how fast people go down.

No bloom customs now?

omg.kittens said:
:lol

As Monkey pointed out during a match about an hour ago, the skill gap has widened significantly with zero bloom. I pretty much suck at Reach now, hah. But it's okay, I don't care if I lose every encounter, cause the gunplay is actually fun now.

It's much easier to pinpoint just where you fucked up. Either in not strafing enough, not landing enough shots/headshots, bad placement, etc. With bloom, slow player movement and AAs I think it gimped a lot of people when playing on these new settings. And it was hard to tell whether you were pacing/spamming at improper times or just being screwed by latency.

StalkerUKCG said:
No bloom customs now?

Sure why not, bf is done watchin' football.

Tunavi

Banned
Havok said:
Wait, how is that possible? Through abusing sudden death, or what?
We played offense first, then went to defense after 2 tiers. On the second round of defense, someone quit which prompted a host migration. After the black screen we were instantly on offense again. Then someone else quit during the first round, and we started offense over AGAIN. We got through 2 rounds of that. Then they started over on defense. The game was not registered on bungie.net.

Wat.

Havok

Tunavi said:
We played offense first, then went to defense after 2 tiers. On the second round of defense, someone quit which prompted a host migration. After the black screen we were instantly on offense again. Then someone else quit during the first round, and we started offense over AGAIN. We got through 2 rounds of that. Then they started over on defense. The game was not registered on bungie.net.

Wat.
...how was the Game Completion bonus?

Host migration, you so crazy.

PooBone

Hope anyone from 343 can answer this: Will Glasslands be coming out on the Kindle? Cryptum did and was available for preorder, so is Primordium. But Glasslands has no kindle listing.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
PooBone said:
Hope anyone from 343 can answer this: Will Glasslands be coming out on the Kindle? Cryptum did and was available for preorder, so is Primordium. But Glasslands has no kindle listing.

Yep.

Devolution said:
But if you're getting spot by multiple people, you should be dying quick. No bloom reach managed to make it so when 3 people are bearing down on someone, if they're eating shots already, it's awful and they can survive.
Do you mean Bloom Reach?

Letters said:

I wanna try these next time I play ZBS. The last thing I played was MLG ZBS which was fun but I agree about having some warning before death and also having a secondary is nice.

GhaleonEB

Devolution said:

"People", perhaps. I am not, though. I just don't like the insta-death that is the 3-shot pistol I experienced. It just wasn't fun.

There is much in the TU I am looking forward to - I've said before that zero bloom DMRs on small maps was great - but the 'classic' pistol is not one of them. Fortunately, I will be able to avoid it easily.

Top Bottom