• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

ElRenoRaven

ncsuDuncan said:
Ah, the community dream team. The should have made some collectible trading cards.

It's hard to make a podcast when you can't even mention the name of the game. I don't think the community would be crazy about monthly updates consisting of little more than "Still working on the game. Be brave." Besides, it's not like Bungie.net is completely silent either, we've been getting an appropriate number of updates on Crimson.

It looks like they're letting 343/Waypoint handle all of the Halo news from now on anyways. It makes sense, Bungie isn't creating any more Halo content. I'm sure Bungie.net will come out of cryo and resume the steady stream of updates once there's actually something to talk about.

It's hard to be excited for something that hasn't been revealed yet. We have a Halo 4 trailer to watch over and over. The fiction can already be discussed, the gameplay has a heritage.

What do we have for Destiny? A symbol and some t-shirts. That's enough for me to enjoy and write articles on, but it isn't exactly going to keep the forums on fire. I'm sure once we have tangible news we'll see GAF just as excited for Destiny as they currently are for Halo 4.

I'm looking forward to both games too. I get a new Halo game and a completely new Bungie IP. It's like someone telling me there's a new Lord of the Rings movie AND a new Alien movie coming out next year.

Exactly right on all the points. Until it's revealed Bungie.net will be quiet and so will any discussion on the new IP. Bungie said as much. We just have to be patient. It sucks I know. Believe me I miss the weekly updates and podcasts more then anyone.

feel

Definitely didn't lose faith or love for Bungie just because of what some employees let happen to Halo. Shit happens. Will be there for project Destiny if it's one quarter as great to play as Halo.

Any interest for some some Classic 4v4 games on Reach?

ElRenoRaven

Tunavi said:
Jason Jones and Joe Staten, Marty O'Donnell, Lorraine McLees, Robert McLees.

Fixed that for you. Those 5 alone make me excited for Bungie's future. There are several others I'm probably forgetting at the moment.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
reggie said:
"Shut the fuck up, you come in to my fucking party and talk to me about bloom? Who the fuck do you think you are?"

Wait, was this guy serious?

They were trying to intimidate me/us. Didn't work lol

Merguson said:
I'm cautious on both Bungie's new IP and Halo 4 naturally.

However, I absolutely refuse to purchase any MMO game.

Don't you want to at least hear about it before you declare no purchase? Bungie's next game is quite possibly going to be labeled an MMO of sorts, but I doubt that its just some WOW clone. There are many things that they could do that will be labeled as an MMO.

Tashi0106 said:
They were trying to intimidate me/us. Didn't work lol

Intimidating people on the internet, never really understood why people think they can do it.

Ken

Merguson said:
I'm cautious on both Bungie's new IP and Halo 4 naturally.

However, I absolutely refuse to purchase any MMO game.
"Spartan, go out and gather ten Moa feathers."

I'd be day 1 for a Halo MMO if it featured an armory with 500x the amount of items in Reach's armory.

ElRenoRaven

Ken said:
"Spartan, go out and gather ten Moa feathers."

I'd be day 1 for a Halo MMO if it featured an armory with 500x the amount of items in Reach's armory.

You know Halo could work as an MMOFPS if done right. Sadly the one being attempted by Ensemble back in the day was a prime example of how not to do it right.

wwm0nkey

PsychoRaven said:
You know Halo could work as an MMOFPS if done right. Sadly the one being attempted by Ensemble back in the day was a prime example of how not to do it right.
Yeah if there is ever a Halo MMO it needs to be its own FPSMMO, not that WoW shit Ensemble tried. So happy that got canned.

Ken

PsychoRaven said:
If they do an MMO, I'd like it to not be FPS or at the very least not make it the only perspective. If I want to play a Halo FPS I'll pop in Halo 4/5/6.

No idea what Ensemble's attempt is like though.

Merguson

Banned
I really don't like the bleed-through. I thought it was just for melee? Damn those shots that somehow take down my fully charged shields.

Karl2177

FyreWulff said:
Currently everyone still dragging their feet because IPv4 "still works".. for now.
I normally wouldn't have responded to this, but as of late that type of attitude is really bugging me. It's bullshit that there is a better option and it is clearly shown to be better, yet people refuse to change to it.

ElRenoRaven

Ken said:
If they do an MMO, I'd like it to not be FPS or at the very least not make it the only perspective. If I want to play a Halo FPS I'll pop in Halo 4/5/6.

I don't see why you couldn't play in 3rd or 1st person. And depending on what role you took you could play it very differently. You could have classes taking types of characters from the game.

Imagine being able to be a grunt, Jackel, Elite, Brute, Spartan, ODST, Marine, etc. Handling each "Quest" would be very different depending on what you picked. And as you leveled up you would gain ranks like in the military.

FyreWulff

Karl2177 said:
I normally wouldn't have responded to this, but as of late that type of attitude is really bugging me. It's bullshit that there is a better option and it is clearly shown to be better, yet people refuse to change to it.

I think the worst ones are the people that don't want to upgrade because they think NAT provides security.

wwm0nkey

Ken said:

No idea what Ensemble's attempt is like though.
Here is a picture of what it was going to be

hscreen1.jpg

shocked they never launched it under another name though.

Tawpgun

An MMOFPS is a big canon wtf.

Unless... you base it in the RvB universe :p

Also, Just got done playing Horde 2.0 with Dax and friends.... Wow. Firefight, take notes.

FyreWulff

wwm0nkey said:
Here is a picture of what it was going to be

hscreen1.jpg

shocked they never launched it under another name though.

All the screenshots are just WoW reskins to help pitch the game.

It wasn't going to actually be a WoW reskin, though.

Ken

PsychoRaven said:
I don't see why you couldn't play in 3rd or 1st person. And depending on what role you took you could play it very differently. You could have classes taking types of characters from the game.

Imagine being able to be a grunt, Jackel, Elite, Brute, Spartan, ODST, Marine, etc. Handling each "Quest" would be very different depending on what you picked. And as you leveled up you would gain ranks like in the military.
I meant that I'd rather not have it be another shooter. Having both first and third person is fine (don't most MMOs have both) but don't just make it a Halo FPS with a MMO setting.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Steelyuhas said:
Intimidating people on the internet, never really understood why people think they can do it.

In terms of the game though. Trying to get in my head. Make us think they're better than us before we even played one game.

feel

Oh man, Reach is so fun now with the Classic+nobloom stuff. :) Good games guys, and if you were my teammate, sorry! lol

edit-

btw I don't get why you guys moved away from the settings that made shields go down at the fourth shot and went back into the older fifth shot bleedthrough gametype. It's better to have the warning that you're about to die after the 4th shot, deaths feel less frustrating when they come after you see your shield down and the red warning. That one was still 3 shots to the body after unshielded to kill, I just tested it right now to make sure, if people were taking more shots than that then the issue was conection related. Or was it because of something else?

Booshka

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23854545&player=Booshka

Alright here is the revisions I have made to Letters' Zero Bloom gametype. I put the jump on 110% because the majority of the maps don't play right on 125% (hitting your head on the ceiling and able to make jumps that shouldn't be possible). The movement and gravity is the same. I was testing out weapon damage and damage resistance settings with Devo and Farooq, and I think 100% weapon damage and 110% damage resistance works the best. The DMR is a 5 shot and nades will drop your shields and 1 bar of health. One nade will not kill you unless you have taken nearly half shield damage (Two DMR shots). There is also less bleedthrough one shot kills with sniper and nades. So if you have at least 3 bars of health, you will not die to a nade nor sniper body shot. I think this plays better for Reach. Melees are two hit kill, but with the bleedthrough, you can 3 shot with DMR then beat down, so double melees will not be very effective.

Farooq and/or Devo, correct or elaborate on any of the settings (in the thread) if you can. Farooq and I did a good amount of testing, so he should know a good amount about them too.

Edit: @Letters The main reason I stuck with these settings is because of the removal of one shot then one nade deaths. Those are very frustrating, and one of my least liked aspects of Reach. Most of the settings were 4 shot DMR before, I put it back to 5 because both Farooq and I agreed that it played better. There are some bleedthrough consequences, but I think this is the best right now.

Letters said:
Oh man, Reach is so fun now with the Classic+nobloom stuff. :) Good games guys, and if you were my teammate, sorry! lol

edit-

btw I don't get why you guys moved away from the settings that made shields go down at the fourth shot and went back into the older fifth shot bleedthrough gametype. It's better to have the warning that you're about to die after the 4th shot, deaths feel less cheap when you're down to your health. That one was still 3 shots to the body after unshielded to kill, I just tested it right now to make sure, if people were taking more shots than that then the issue was conection related. Or was it because of something else?

In some of the games the leader settings weren't changed. That's why people were eating shots. It's quite counter-intuitive how one has to make sure all of the leader settings are the same as regular settings. Needs a "DONT NEED LEADER SETTINGS" option.

Booshka said:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23854545&player=Booshka

Alright here is the revisions I have made to Letters' Zero Bloom gametype. I put the jump on 110% because the majority of the maps don't play right on 125% (hitting your head on the ceiling and able to make jumps that shouldn't be possible). The movement and gravity is the same. I was testing out weapon damage and damage resistance settings with Devo and Farooq, and I think 100% weapon damage and 110% damage resistance works the best. The DMR is a 5 shot and nades will drop your shields and 1 bar of health. One nade will not kill you unless you have taken nearly half shield damage (Two DMR shots). There is also less bleedthrough one shot kills with sniper and nades. So if you have at least 3 bars of health, you will not die to a nade nor sniper body shot. I think this plays better for Reach. Melees are two hit kill, but with the bleedthrough, you can 3 shot with DMR then beat down, so double melees will not be very effective.

Farooq and/or Devo, correct or elaborate on any of the settings (in the thread) if you can. Farooq and I did a good amount of testing, so he should know a good amount about them too.

Sounds good. Next time I do customs, I'll run each back to back and see what people prefer.

wwm0nkey

Devolution said:
In some of the games the leader settings weren't changed. That's why people were eating shots. It's quite counter-intuitive how one has to make sure all of the leader settings are the same as regular settings. Needs a "DONT NEED LEADER SETTINGS" option.
THIS!

Also are there any changes you guys have made from the gametype I put up?

Ramirez

Odd that you guys are changing up the base 343 gametype when you know that's not what you're going to be playing in matchmaking...

Ramirez said:
Odd that you guys are changing up the base 343 gametype when you know that's not what you're going to be playing in matchmaking...

Frankie is playin' on them too =p. Did I miss the memo where it's going to be exactly as the original custom settings?

Booshka

Ramirez said:
I'm perfectly fine with playing Customs on settings I enjoy rather than settings I don't like in MM. Now that Reach can be made legitimately fun, I am willing to ignore MM for the most part if it means good games with friends.

Booshka said:
I'm perfectly fine with playing Customs on settings I enjoy rather than settings I don't like in MM. Now that Reach can be made legitimately fun, I am willing to ignore MM for the most part if it means good games with friends.

Yeah if MM has dumb counter-intuitive settings, I'll forgo it and play customs instead. Besides they're way more competitive if you manage to balance the teams well.

wwm0nkey

Devolution said:
Frankie is playin' on them too =p. Did I miss the memo where it's going to be exactly as the original custom settings?
I would really hope 343 is looking at what people are doing in the custom options before launching the Beta Hoppers because if Zero Bloom is how it is in our customs when the playlist launches I will be playing nothing else but Zero Bloom slayer lol

Has the big Title Update gone up yet? Have the new playlists been added?

Been a little distracted by Gears of War 3.

Spoilers: The competitive MP is pretty terrible. I can hear the nirvana of Halo: Reach calling out to me....

Ramirez

Booshka said:

I think we all know once these hit MM and people can get credits for playing, customs will be dead again. :p

^ lol, good grief.

wwm0nkey said:
I would really hope 343 is looking at what people are doing in the custom options before launching the Beta Hoppers because if Zero Bloom is how it is in our customs when the playlist launches I will be playing nothing else but Zero Bloom slayer lol

I even hope they make changes we can't on the ZBS. I think the Rof and magnetism on the DMR/Pistol need to be revised.

wwm0nkey

The Antitype said:
Has the big Title Update gone up yet? Have the new playlists been added?

Been a little distracted by Gears of War 3.

Spoilers: The competitive MP is pretty terrible. I can hear the nirvana of Halo: Reach calling out to me....
Title update is out, Playlist is not up yet.

They did release a custom gametype though that we have been playing a lot with our own settings

Download it

The gametype is best played with 4v4, 5v5 or FFA

heckfu

Banned
Booshka said:

It would be nice being able to harvest credits from customs though...my baby rank doesn't look awesome compared to Dani, et al.

also, anyone catch that Buffalo game today? gotta Billi3v3, yall

Ramirez

Devolution said:
I even hope they make changes we can't on the ZBS. I think the Rof and magnetism on the DMR/Pistol need to be revised.

Pretty sure if they could have (or did) changed the RoF they would have mentioned that by now. Setting yourself up for disappointment with these changes, especially the magnetism one.

feel

Booshka don't nerf the jump!! :(

It feels so good to make all those new jumps, people bumping their heads in the ceilings in those rare areas with low ceilings should just be more careful :p

about the damage stuff, I do love those settings (with the simple 10% tweak), in fact it was what I had been promoting up until earlier today, but the lack of warning before the fifth shot is a concern many people have raised. But maybe it's just a matter of people getting used to paying more attention to their shield meter and at how many shots they've got hit with.

edit- and yeah, if 343 fails to deliver a solid Classic playlist with these sort of settings, I'd also be all over skipping MM and just playing gaf customs a few times a week while waiting for Halo 4.

Ramirez said:
Pretty sure if they could have (or did) changed the RoF they would have mentioned that by now. Setting yourself up for disappointment with these changes, especially the magnetism one.

Not really. I do fine in customs. Just sayin' in an ideal situation the rof/magnetism in the no bloom settings would be reduced.

Top Bottom