• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Woorloog said:
These.
Brutes main issue was their passiveness/tendecy to stay put rather than attack and flush out the player...
The Brute AI in Halo 3 was plenty aggressive. It's why encounters like this and this never turn out the same way. Other encounters had the enemy hold back because you were forced to jump into their ranks, like the final battle on Tsavo Highway.
Marine AI was rather stupid and but at least it could drive better than Halo 2's and was generally more competent (Note: IIRC the friendly AI on easy is way better than on normal and above, and angering the friendly AI increases its combat prowess like 100%).
Halo CE still has the best friendly AI. Or maybe it was due encounter desing that accomondated Marines better? Or maybe it was the weapons? *Shrug*
I used to think the friendly AI in Halo 3 wasn't that smart, but then I did The Ark and The Covenant sans vehicles and the AI was far more than competent; very helpful, actually. Halo 3 has the best friendly AI in the series.
Game areas could've been wider and offered more options...
I assume you're talking about the encounters in Halo 3? Because Halo 3 offers the most diverse and expansive encounters of the entire series. Vehicle encounters bring out all the stops. Though it could've used a mission like Oni Sword Base and Halo (1).

Tashi0106 said:
How's Halo 3 without active roster?
These menus, are driving me crazy.

oCJ96.png

Actually its the Euro host.

Devin Olsen said:
Its so bad, my this game did not age well.

I just get frustrated because I can't kill anything. I don't even care about winning but getting kills only when I unload full clips on people (and not even then). I just can't have fun when that happens.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Devin Olsen said:
Please come and play the game again before you let nostalgia get the best of you.

I have. The main issue with Halo 3 in this day and age is the netcode. Give Halo 3 Reach's netcode and you'd have the perfect game. =P

I quite like the Halo 3 combat BUT that said im used to playing customs with people from the UK, im probably ruining the connections for everyone right now. Im not gonna lie it is pretty laggy.

wwm0nkey

Dani said:
I have. The main issue with Halo 3 in this day and age is the netcode. Give Halo 3 Reach's netcode and you'd have the perfect game. =P
Netcode and Hitscan and Halo 3 would be the best game ever lol

Woorloog

Banned
Dax01 said:
The Brute AI in Halo 3 was plenty aggressive. It's why encounters like this and this never turn out the same way. Other encounters had the enemy hold back because you were forced to jump into their ranks, like the final battle on Tsavo Highway.
Aggressive? Yeah right. Most of time they stick to their positions while i shoot them 50m away. I don't call that aggressive. You don't let an enemy sniper shoot you, you make a counter attack, order artillery support or something, you don't stick around and wonder why my friend died.
And whenever i'm closer so that they actually attack, it's straight line, one at time, usually. No flanking.

Dax01 said:
I used to think the friendly AI in Halo 3 wasn't that smart, but then I did The Ark and The Covenant sans vehicles and the AI was far more than competent; very helpful, actually. Halo 3 has the best friendly AI in the series.
I swear Halo CE friendly AI is the most useful one. Just stay behind them and they take plasma for you. Halo 3 AI dives into cover and doesn't shoot back enough.

Dax01 said:
I assume you're talking about the encounters in Halo 3? Because Halo 3 offers the most diverse and expansive encounters of the entire series. Vehicle encounters bring out all the stops. Though it could've used a mission like Oni Sword Base and Halo (1).
I was talking about areas/locations. Most areas do not offer variety of ways to approach the enemy. Or if they're wide, they lack cover and/or offer one good route, making you ask, why the hell i would NOT take this route? Floodgate and Cortana are the worst offenders, Halo is pretty bad as well. Crow's Nest areas are too tight, with some exceptions like the barracks in it, where you could go from above etc but the enemy placement made this weak on higher difficulties (when solo, great in co-op).
Vehicle missions are good.
And overall absolutely improvement over Halo 2, and Halo CE as well. CE campaign is still more satisfying to play though...

As for Oni Sword Base, it's a horrible, ugly and boring mission. It's only good points are the player having a choice which objective first and good ending cutscene (seeing a Corvette shot down and sinking into sea is great part anyway). The areas are too linear and the AIs inability to drive properly forces me to drive (Only Halo game where i can be the gunner (in solo campaign) is Halo 3, as long as it ain't Legendary). The building in AA gun area is horrible. The front is full of enemies and if you go behind they throw 'nades inside, which lacks cover. Shitty AR makes CQB hell. Shooting the Covies from afar works... as always. Boring.
The other area is a bit better but without vehicle (or without a gunner as the AI usually gets itself killed by not shooting anyone important) getting inside the first building is tricky due the AIs inhuman (pun not intended) accuracy due the area not having cover (and the skirmishers/jackals shooting from afar and that Revenant). It wouldn't be so bad if the AI wasn't stupid and cheating.
As with all Reach missions, it is considerably better in co-op as the AI splits it's attention and becomes more manageable (but no less infuriating). Halo 2 AI on Legendary isn't as infuriation as the only the Jackal snipers were super accurate...

wwm0nkey said:
So Zero Bloom Reach > Halo 3?
I'll say Halo 3 simply because it has overall better maps and vehicle health system isn't fucked up.

Woorloog

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
You know what I want to see in Halo 4 that hasnt been in any Halo since Halo CE?

Reticle in the middle of the screen again!
http://i54.tinypic.com/2qtk0vl.jpg[/QUOTE]
I'd like that... all the other games have reticle in the middle. It's annoying to move beetween games when the reticle isn't where you expect it to be.

feel

had to bail, I'm not good enough to play with a conection disadvantage like that and still get kills. Just wasn't having fun.

I'm gonna kill random in matchmaking

feel

a couple of good friends of mine that only speak spanish put in Halo 3 to play with me and I felt bad about ignoring him, I'll rejoin the gaf party if they leave

thanks for the invites

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
You know what I want to see in Halo 4 that hasnt been in any Halo since Halo CE?

http://i54.tinypic.com/2qtk0vl.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
No.

wwm0nkey said:
Why not? its not like having the reticle below really improves the game at all. Just put it back in the middle like everything else does.

I want them to do whats standard across FPS's - whatever makes it easier to transition between games. If thats centre screen then why not? But if thats lower then im happy with that aswell.

xxjuicesxx said:

I blame stacked teams/ lag/ armour lock and bloom for that aweful performance by me.

MrBig

wwm0nkey said:
Why not? its not like having the reticle below really improves the game at all. Just put it back in the middle like everything else does.
I'm not a fan of projectiles spawning from the camera. There are multiple negatives that I could list, but what positives are there?

Besides that, H1 is the only one that has it at the center, so I don't know why transitioning would be a problem with it.

Striker

Booshka said:
naw that was MLG Onslaught, Juices was beastin, almost got an Overkill on Dax, but someone stole it.
The classic Forge map that doesn't list the actual map, heh.

I still remember how freakin' horrid the default Foundry spawns were, and those back rooms. They had the audacity to put a bubble shield back there to help out the hilarity. Awful all around.

feel

wwm0nkey said:

2qtk0vl.jpg
lower reticule so people can have a better view of their surroundings, completely botch FOV /bungietrollface.jpg

KidA Seven said:
Did you guys get spawn trapped? If so, then lmao. That must have sucked.

I guess we did. Everytime I spawned, I was already half shield. The lag didn't help either but I guess everyone had to deal with that.

I did have fun though. Was great playing Halo 3 again :)

KevinRo

Letters said:
lower reticule so people can have a better view of their surroundings, completely botch FOV /bungietrollface.jpg

When I watch new people play Halo they tend to look towards the ground alot to help them move. Even with the reticule moved down, I still see it happening.

Top Bottom