• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

PooBone

When are we gonna see the Halo: Anniversary Achievements?

Shishka's teasing has me wondering what we could possibly see.

Striker

FyreWulff said:
I wish there was more Territories in Reach matchmaking in general.
They had it and showed up often in Team Objective until they conveniently add the garbage they have in there now, like Flag Slayer.

Hey You

PooBone said:
When are we gonna see the Halo: Anniversary Achievements?

Shishka's teasing has me wondering what we could possibly see.
Probably won't get 'em till it leaks out a few weeks before launch.

ElRenoRaven

Hey You said:
Probably won't get 'em till it leaks out a few weeks before launch.

Yup that's usually how it works. Also I just can't help but laugh seeing several that wanted bloom gone now realizing that maybe just maybe bloom wasn't as bad as they thought.

It just cracks me up.

Vespa said:
Whoa that cover is so much better than the one currently on amazon.

Sigh, not out here in the UK until another month :( I am jelly.
monome said:
Is that the regular cover for the HALO book? the one on amazon looks different and way less sexy.
Nope. It is the limited edition of the book. (Comes with 4 lithographs) The publisher is UK-based and I was very suprised to get a month early.
The limited edition is still available.

stephen08

PsychoRaven said:
Yup that's usually how it works. Also I just can't help but laugh seeing several that wanted bloom gone now realizing that maybe just maybe bloom wasn't as bad as they thought.

It just cracks me up.

Who would have thought all those posts that boiled down to "remove bloom -> fix game" were oversimplifying the issue?

PsychoRaven said:

It just cracks me up.

Your opinion is flawed because you are seeing things in very black and white terms. Bloom sucked and because the game was balanced around it the removal of bloom doesnt work as well.

No bloom being aweful doesnt mean that people want bloom back lol. They want the game to be designed from the start to accomodate no bloom. You cant just take something out of the equation and expect things to work. As much as I have my doubts about no bloom its 100x better than bloom. But personally im just going to wait till Halo 4 before I start playing regularly again.

Well the game is clearly designed with bloom in mind...
It's a big feature, you cannot remove it without negative consequences... just look at the dolphin gun :p
I think bloom doesn't belong to halo, but per se it's not a bad game mechanic if implemented properly (pistol and dolphin gun in vanilla Reach, for example) and it defines Reach, so it should stay, maybe tweaked where necessary (DMR).
Hell even how the DMR recoils is designed with bloom in mind! No-bloom DMR looks weird to say the least

Homeboyd

Ahh good to be back... let the work week begin.

Guess Im running some SWAT this week.
It's cool. I love SWAT.

What else is new gentlemen/ladies?

Vespa

Hypertrooper said:
Nope. It is the limited edition of the book. (Comes with 4 lithographs) The publisher is UK-based and I was very suprised to get a month early.
The limited edition is still available.

HALO_Book_large.png

Fuuuu Ashley Wood on the dust jacket! I've got vanilla edition on pre-order for £13.70, as sexy as hell the slip and alt dust covers are I can't justify the +£46.30! ...need lottery win.

ElRenoRaven

bobs99 ... said:
Your opinion is flawed because you are seeing things in very black and white terms. Bloom sucked and because the game was balanced around it the removal of bloom doesnt work as well.

No bloom being aweful doesnt mean that people want bloom back lol. They want the game to be designed from the start to accomodate no bloom. You cant just take something out of the equation and expect things to work. As much as I have my doubts about no bloom its 100x better than bloom. But personally im just going to wait till Halo 4 before I start playing regularly again.

I love how you read more into my post then there is. I never said that they wanted it back or that bloom was good. In fact I've always been the can take it or leave it type of person. As you pointed out the game was balanced around bloom. Hence removing it breaks the game to some degree. Now people are realizing that. That is all I said. So my opinion isn't flawed. Your analysis of my opinion is.

PsychoRaven said:
I love how you read more into my post then there is. I never said that they wanted it back or that bloom was good. In fact I've always been the can take it or leave it type of person. As you pointed out the game was balanced around bloom. Hence removing it breaks the game to some degree. Now people are realizing that. That is all I said. So my opinion isn't flawed. Your analysis of my opinion is.

TBH I think even the people that realize that zero bloom is flawed will take that 100% over vanilla Reach. Zero bloom might be broken but its still a lot more fun than bloom lol.

Im not really too sure what your point was to be fair. Sure zero bloom isnt perfect but are you saying they shouldn't have bothered unless it was going to be perfect? I think many people on here pointed out the potential flaws and potential fixes of no bloom. It sounded like you were having a dig at the people who wanted zero bloom with your post, I must have misinterpreted. Your right my analysis of your opinion is wrong. Please explain lol.

Vespa said:
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0005/9722/products/HALO_Book_large.png[IMG]
Fuuuu Ashley Wood on the dust jacket! I've got vanilla edition on pre-order for £13.70, as sexy as hell the slip and alt dust covers are I can't justify the +£46.30! ...need lottery win.[/QUOTE]
It's definitely worth the money imo.

[QUOTE=ncsuDuncan]Doesn't Dan Ayoub speak French? I'm sure he can convince them to respect street dates for once.[/QUOTE]
lol. He's Canadian. Europe French people only trust themselves.

MrDaravon

Tha Robbertster said:
Wrong thread :lol?

But if you're actually searching for a shotgun only gametype; there is one in swat if I remember correctly.

I don't think so, I play a ton of SWAT and I've never seen that. The only one I can think of is there's an all Shotguns gametype in Action Sack, I think it's Neutral bomb but all the Loadouts main Shotgun.

ElRenoRaven

bobs99 ... said:
TBH I think even the people that realize that zero bloom is flawed will take that 100% over vanilla Reach. Zero bloom might be broken but its still a lot more fun than bloom lol.

Im not really too sure what your point was to be fair. Sure zero bloom isnt perfect but are you saying they shouldn't have bothered unless it was going to be perfect? I think many people on here pointed out the potential flaws and potential fixes of no bloom. It sounded like you were having a dig at the people who wanted zero bloom with your post, I must have misinterpreted. Your right my analysis of your opinion is wrong. Please explain lol.

See there is the problem. I have no point that I was really trying to make. I just said what I posted which is that it's funny that some wanted bloom gone so bad and now they're finding out that it wasn't as bad as they thought. They're finding out that bloom helped balance the game as is a bit more then they thought it did.

I was making no point on if bloom is good or bad. That's going to be entirely subjective based on who you ask. I just find it funny that some were all OMG REMOVE BLOOM NOW!!!!! FIX REACH!!!!. They then played bloomless Reach and now go you know maybe Bloom is a necessary evil to have right now. Which it is. You can't just remove one component of something that was used to help balance it and expect it not to still be broken assuming you are of the group that thinks it broken.

Now that said like I said I can take it or leave it. However if there was a gun to my head and I had to choose I'd say I'd rather it not be in future Halo games. If it is though I'm not going to worry about it because it is one of those things that honestly doesn't bother me. There are so many other things that I feel are more important to fix like vehicles for example and how flimsy they have become and can be abused in the case of the Banshee.

Homeboyd

SailorDaravon said:
I don't think so, I play a ton of SWAT and I've never seen that. The only one I can think of is there's an all Shotguns gametype in Action Sack, I think it's Neutral bomb but all the Loadouts main Shotgun.
Correct, there is no ShWATguns if that's what you guys were talking about.

Action Sack has Shotty/Snipers coupled with various objective(?)/slayer gametypes. I don't even think Team Snipers has Shotty/Snipers.

PsychoRaven said:
See there is the problem. I have no opinion. I just said what I posted which is that it's funny that some wanted bloom gone so bad and now they're finding out that it wasn't as bad as they thought. They're finding out that bloom helped balance the game a bit more then they thought it did.

I was making no point on if bloom is good or bad. That's going to be entirely subjective based on who you ask. I just find it funny that some were all OMG REMOVE BLOOM NOW!!!!! FIX REACH!!!!. They then played bloomless Reach and now go you know maybe Bloom is a necessary evil to have right now.

Now that said like I said I can take it or leave it. However if there was a gun to my head and I had to choose I'd say I'd rather it not be in future Halo games. If it is though I'm not going to worry about it because it is one of those things that honestly doesn't bother me. There are so many other things that I feel are more important to fix like vehicles for example and how flimsy they have become.

Fair enough, its the internet, reading that it was just a partial observation isnt very clear. I still find your observation flawed simply because while some people were simply asking for the removal of bloom many others were also discussing the ancillary changes which would have to be made to accommodate that. Laughing about the backpeddling is slightly unfair because while bloom has been removed the other fixes which need to really be made are out of the scope of the TU.

Bloom is only a nessicary evil in Reach because its so ingrained into the game. With Halo 4 my opinion is "OMG REMOVE BLOOM NOW!!!!! FIX Halo 4 before its broken!!!!" - because right now Halo 4 could be designed without bloom and it wouldnt destroy other areas of the game when its later removed lol.

Risen

PsychoRaven said:

It just cracks me up.

Heh... it cracks me up too, but for different reasons. I absolutely LOVE the no bloom customs I've been in on MLG maps.

It's so nice to have aim actually matter. It's incredible to see poor decisions get punished as they should. I'm loving the faster game play. I haven't had as exciting a time in Halo since H2.

On a side note... this thread blazes! Go away for a week and holy crap.

PsychoRaven said:
They're finding out that bloom helped balance the game as is a bit more then they thought it did.

No they're not... they're finding out bloom helped them more than they thought it did. (This isn't pointed specifically to anyone here, but in general across several communities I frequent)

Bloom in Reach doesn't balance the game, and never did. It was poorly implemented and did more to increase a connection gap than skill gap. While there are definitely issues created in the no bloom variant offered up initially, they are issues that in large part can be addressed by custom option mixing/matching.

I can't emphasize enough how much I'm liking DMR starts with no bloom, on good maps. It feels so much better than vanilla Reach.

Tawpgun

stephen08 said:
Who would have thought all those posts that boiled down to "remove bloom -> fix game" were oversimplifying the issue?
lol.

DMR on DMR battles, the absolute core of Halo combat imo, is much much MUUUUCH better with no bloom.

But with the rest of the sandbox piled in, it gets a little wonky. For a hardcore gametype, DMR Starts (MAYBE PISTOL SECONDARY) with snipers, rockets, maybe pro pipe or so as power weapons, would be amazing.

ElRenoRaven

bobs99 ... said:
Fair enough, its the internet, reading that it was just a partial observation isnt very clear. I still find your observation flawed simply because while some people were simply asking for the removal of bloom many others were also discussing the ancillary changes which would have to be made to accommodate that. Laughing about the backpeddling is slightly unfair because while bloom has been removed the other fixes which need to really be made are out of the scope of the TU.

Bloom is only a nessicary evil in Reach because its so ingrained into the game. With Halo 4 my opinion is "OMG REMOVE BLOOM NOW!!!!! FIX Halo 4 before its broken!!!!" - because right now Halo 4 could be designed without bloom and it wouldnt destroy other areas of the game when its later removed lol.

See I'm not laughing at their backpedaling. I'm laughing at the fact that now they see you can't just fix it by simply removing bloom. To properly fix it you have to fix several aspects which as you yourself pointed out just isn't possible with Reach. I do agree it's very possible with Halo 4 to fix and yes by all means they should voice their opinions on bloom.

That's all I was laughing at. I wasn't laughing at them. I was just laughing at the fact that they're now seeing how just removing bloom don't fix it.

ElRenoRaven

Gabotron ES said:

ROFLMAO. OMG that's hilarious. I'm sitting there watching this going what the hell is he doing. Then it spawns and I'm like OHHHHH. Sure enough the guy jumps in and bam. That's just awesome.

I can just picture the look on his face too. He's sitting there going oh yea. Then bam. He's like WTF!! WTF!!!!!! GAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! BULLSHIT!!!!

This is immediately followed up with a Rage quit.

FyreWulff said:
Team Snipers still needs KotH Snipes. They had it in Halo 2's matchmaking, and the spiritual successor in 3 via Lurkers (which also needs to come back)

No.No.Nooo.No.NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!.gif

You're assuming people would play the objective. They wouldn't.

stephen08 said:

To be fair, people here were proposing a 2x scope and a reduction in the rate of fire, not simply removing bloom. What we got was no bloom or different variables of bloom; it's better than nothing and I've really been enjoying zero bloom customs as is, I'm just surprised they didn't consider the option of adjusting the rof for the dmr seeing as they have done that for the cea magnum.

For me, the 'classic anniversary' playlist should have been a four shot dmr at a reduced rof. That's classic xbl Halo to me; there's nothing 'classic' about a three shot hitscan pistol with lots of magnetism played over xbl (though I'm looking forward to playing it anyway). Four shot hitscan dmr is closest to four shot BR from Halo 2 and 4s BR from Halo 3.

i nerini del buio said:
It's a big feature, you cannot remove it without negative consequences... just look at the dolphin gun :p

Let's use a bit of common sense here people. You have to strip down the sandbox in a no bloom gametype. The needle rifle is redundant anyway in no bloom, simply remove it. I'd advocate that for the pistol as well.

ElRenoRaven

thee henery said:
To be fair, people here were proposing a 2x scope and a reduction in the rate of fire, not simply removing bloom. What we got was no bloom or different variables of bloom; it's better than nothing and I've really been enjoying zero bloom customs as is, I'm just surprised they didn't consider the option of adjusting the rof for the dmr seeing as they have done that for the cea magnum.

Yea. That's what I really wanted to see. I had a feeling that 3x scope with unlimited rate of fire was going to be way too damn strong. Hell the weapon as it was pre TU was too damn strong I felt. When it's in play it tends to be the only weapon anyone uses. That's been one of my biggest complaints since day one with it.

BTB games played: 342
BTB games played on Highlands, Breakpoint or Tempest: 0

feels-bad-man-thumb.jpg

Same with invasion, Breakpoint is my favorite invasion map ever and I have to go play Premium Battle to enjoy it, wtf?
Needs moar DLC required playlists please!

Top Bottom