• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Farooq

Banned
Letters said:
wwM0nkey's gametype is far from default, it's closer to the MLG one (if not the exact same) with modifications to damage modifiers and whatnot, and it has all three things: 5 shot kill (or 4 + 3 body shots), sufficiently nerfed grenades AND oneshot warning. I'm quite fond of it.

The settings we played were 4 shot kill. I think Devo and Booshka can confirm that.

feel

Farooq said:
The settings we played were 4 shot kill. I think Devo and Booshka can confirm that.
Oh, sorry, he changed it then and they're no longer the same as mine.

These are the settings I was trying to defend
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23852916

(ignore radar and AR)

"One shot and one grenade on feet" deaths is the only flaw I'm noticing, but like I've said, it's not that big of a deal during actual games because people are aware and jumping over them or moving away.

edit- I'm now not sure if my settings I linked in this post prevent the fourth shot from bleeding through and killing, sorry for the confusion if it doesn't

I'm sorry to keep bringing this up, but I was just wondering if 343 is still looking for a fix for the TU so it can work on Preview Discs. I kinda hope that giving everyone the Reach GoD code wasn't the solution. I haven't gotten mine yet. :(

Anyway, I won't bring it up anymore. Feel like I'm being a pest.

feel

Farooq said:
I am not at my xbox at the moment.

Would you happen to know the damage and damage resistance settings?
IIRC it's at 125 damage and 150 resist

wait, I uploaded that last night and maybe if the fourth shot hits the head it's a kill, forgot to recheck then and can't check right now. :(

senador

Banned
-Yeti said:
I'm sorry to keep bringing this up, but I was just wondering if 343 is still looking for a fix for the TU so it can work on Preview Discs. I kinda hope that giving everyone the Reach GoD code wasn't the solution. I haven't gotten mine yet. :(

Pretty sure GoD Reach is the solution.

58g46.png

Reach Medal List

Altruist, Pull Up a Chair, Illusionist

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
-Yeti said:

Unfortunately the TU is never going to work with Preview discs, and GonD is the only feasible solution at this time. We checked your status and apparently your mail was sent successfully, and hasn't bounced back to us at this time. It was in fact sent to the address you proivided me in PMs. I will look into it further.

OuterWorldVoice said:
Unfortunately the TU is never going to work with Preview discs, and GonD is the only feasible solution at this time. We checked your status and apparently your mail was sent successfully, and hasn't bounced back to us at this time. It was in fact sent to the address you proivided me in PMs. I will look into it further.
Thank you Frankie. :)

Homeboyd

Devolution said:
SD3dg.png

Medal List

Air Superiority, Share the Love, Early Bird
Have specifics for these medals? As in, what they mean... some are obvious (I'm guessing
Early Bird
would be a
First Strike
replacement.) The other two could be a number of things.

Same with your new ones as well.

Loving these btw.

GhaleonEB

OuterWorldVoice said:
At the risk of being a pain in the rear, could you do likewise for myself?

Homeboyd said:
Have specifics for these medals? As in, what they mean... some are obvious (I'm guessing
Early Bird
would be a
First Strike
replacement.) The other two could be a number of things.

Same with your new ones as well.

Loving these btw.

What do you mean by specifics, I'm confused =o.

Homeboyd

Devolution said:
What do you mean by specifics, I'm confused =o.
Well I mean you don't tell what they're for.

Like "
Early Bird
- Earn a First Strike in a multiplayer MM game."

Some are obvious what they're for based on your medal names, but others aren't.

Homeboyd said:
Well I mean you don't tell what they're for.

Like "
Early Bird
- Earn a First Strike in a multiplayer MM game."

Some are obvious what they're for based on your medal names, but others aren't.

Did you click the link?

Homeboyd

Devolution said:
Did you click the link?
lol ahh.. ok gotcha.. I assumed the medal list was just a link to all the medals you've created. Not descriptions.

My bad.

I was still trying to guess without clicking the link...

Rickenslacker said:
Can you elaborate?

Simply that in the hundreds of hours I played Halo at college LANs with different groups of people, the experience was always dominated by pistol sniping, and rushes for the sniper rifle.

Every other weapon took more skill to use effectively, and was only significantly better than the pistol in extremely specific circumstances.

AR was basically useless outside close-range, and that's not too helpful when most encounters in Halo initiate and mid-range or so.

The PR took shields down pretty quick, but couldn't finish the job in the time it took the pistol to rattle off three shots for the kill.

The plasma pistol was a decent alternative, but again, are you going to go through the effort of landing an OC shot, switching weapons and finishing, or just battle it out for the 3-quick shots?

Rockets, Sniper and Shotgun were really the only weapons anybody thought highly of aside from the pistol.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Postmortem just finished up a new article.

Our latest article over at Forward Unto Dawn takes a look at the origins of the Gravemind and its possible significance in the continuation of the Precursors after the oldest known conflict within the Halo universe. Using evidence from the works of H.P. Lovecraft, we have made meaningful extrapolations as to the literary significance of the Gravemind within Halo's storyline, as well as how this ties in with the story of the Precursors.

Blinding

Got a shipping confirmation for my Grunt plushie, though the shipping location is so close that I could've just driven down and picked it up. Oh well.

feel

Farooq said:
Those settings are going to give you a 4 shot DMR. Those settings are provided in this MLG thread http://forums.majorleaguegaming.com/topic/248244-125-damage150-resist-for-a-4sk-dmr-updated/

The 5 shot settings you played must of been something else. Most likely with damage at default and damage resistance at default or slightly reduced.
Yes, sorry for the confusion. I think there is something else tweaked to prevent the 4th shot from killing but I'm not no sure anymore. I'm so confused now. :lol

I'll be checking when I get home in a little bit. Either way, the 110% resist and 100 damage one is an almost perfect one to fall back to, just shame about no clear oneshot warning.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Sean P. said:
So my buddies picked up their consoles today, I'll be getting mine next week, SO EXCITED.

UsNkv.jpg
I saw that guy in the lobby after lunch. So that's what he was doing!

Farooq

Banned
Letters said:
Yes, sorry for the confusion. I think there is something else tweaked to prevent the 4th shot from killing but I'm not no sure anymore. I'm so confused now. :lol

Either way, the 110% resist and 100 damage one is an almost perfect one to fall back to, just shame about no clear oneshot warning.

Just drop resistance to default and you have a clear one shot warning. But the grenades may become a little OP like they were in vanilla Reach.

feel

Farooq said:
Just drop resistance to default and you have a clear one shot warning. But the grenades may become a little OP like they were in vanilla Reach.
Yeah that's not an option. :lol

fuck those default grenades

GhaleonEB said:
Fix'd.

I'm still marinating in Deus Ex, having recently discovered the revolver + exploding ammo upgrade (someone in the official thread described it as a hitscan Concussion Rifle, which is spot-on). But I'm popping onto Reach now and then to knock off a few Challenges. I apprecaite that the Campaign ones have been bumped up considerably; the one today is a good example. I've always done Campaign Challenges despite the payouts, not because of them, but a 4,000 cR payout is a nice little motivator on top of it. Since that mode forgoes both commendation payouts and a decent game complete bonus the increased Challenge credits are nice to see.

343 vs A27?

I'm down and I'm positive some other clanmates would be :D

feel

The settings I changed to yesterday indeed do not prevent 4 shot kills. Back to the 100%/110% ones like we've been using since day one then.

Can anyone confirm the changes in ZBS?

Obviously bloom. But I felt that movespeed and jumping had been tweaked. Also, grenade fuse times felt different - may have been lag however.

darthbob

OuterWorldVoice said:

I'm having the same issue as Yeti. I wonder if there was any issue with GMail and these emails.

FyreWulff

Stripper13 said:
Can anyone confirm the changes in ZBS?

Obviously bloom. But I felt that movespeed and jumping had been tweaked. Also, grenade fuse times felt different - may have been lag however.

Bleedthrough damage
Zero bloom
Camo nerf
AL nerf
Sword parrying removed

FyreWulff said:
Bleedthrough damage
Zero bloom
Camo nerf
AL nerf
Sword parrying removed
That's the TU.

Does that mean that the ZBS gametype has no other changes?

As I said earlier - I've had my head in Gears and Dead Island for the last week or two, so it could just have been the transition - but Reach felt a lot faster than I recall, and the handful of tests my friend and I performed on Zealot (with grenades) seemed to show a change in fuse times (again, could be lag, it was pretty horrible).

FyreWulff

Stripper13 said:
That's the TU.

Does that mean that the ZBS gametype has no other changes?

As I said earlier - I've had my head in Gears and Dead Island for the last week or two, so it could just have been the transition - but Reach felt a lot faster than I recall, and the handful of tests my friend and I performed on Zealot (with grenades) seemed to show a change in fuse times (again, could be lag, it was pretty horrible).

The only other change that exists that affects gameplay is the CE mode for the Magnum, and they're holding that back until Anniversary comes out.

Otherwise, that's it.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
The only other change that exists that affects gameplay is the CE mode for the Magnum, and they're holding that back until Anniversary comes out.

Otherwise, that's it.
To clarify, the ability to modify bloom from 100% to 0% is available to 343. 0% is what is included in this game type. They have said we will see additional iterations, such as 85%, in other game types.

FyreWulff said:

Otherwise, that's it.
Okay, so one last annoying question.

So to be clear - the Zero Bloom Slayer gametype I downloaded from halowaypoint fileshare, is 100% vanilla Reach settings (move speed, jump height, shields etc) - with the TU changes applied. I only ask - because the game felt FAST when I played last night.

FyreWulff

Stripper13 said:
Okay, so one last annoying question.

So to be clear - the Zero Bloom Slayer gametype I downloaded from halowaypoint fileshare, is 100% vanilla Reach settings (move speed, jump height, shields etc) - with the TU changes applied. I only ask - because the game felt FAST when I played last night.

The gametype from 343 is 100% vanilla Reach for for those, yes.

FyreWulff said:
The gametype from 343 is 100% vanilla Reach for for those, yes.
Wow, I've got to stop playing Gears so much. I felt like a fucking super hero moving around the maps. Also, no bloom is so, so nice.

The Antitype said:
Simply that in the hundreds of hours I played Halo at college LANs with different groups of people, the experience was always dominated by pistol sniping, and rushes for the sniper rifle.

Every other weapon took more skill to use effectively, and was only significantly better than the pistol in extremely specific circumstances.

AR was basically useless outside close-range, and that's not too helpful when most encounters in Halo initiate and mid-range or so.

The PR took shields down pretty quick, but couldn't finish the job in the time it took the pistol to rattle off three shots for the kill.

The plasma pistol was a decent alternative, but again, are you going to go through the effort of landing an OC shot, switching weapons and finishing, or just battle it out for the 3-quick shots?

Rockets, Sniper and Shotgun were really the only weapons anybody thought highly of aside from the pistol.
Without the levels of magnetism found in the later games, the three shot pistol didn't necessarily mean people were killing you in their first three shots. The plasma rifle had the added benefit of stunning, and with the movement capabilities you had in CE, allowed for some CQC trickery, I can't say as much for the PRs of Reach. AR had the unintended effect of allowing quick camo, so it wasn't so bad to carry it around either.

I mean, what are we really referring to here? Is Reach so great because of how some people use the AR? It's still a power weapon oriented game. It was even MORE dedicated to chucking grenades and using power weapons because the main weapon was so inconsistent.

Top Bottom