• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
MrBig said:
I liked how Bungie snuck in 7 occasionally, but 343 is really going overboard with their number
So reduce 30,343 to 30,000. Got it.

In all seriousness, feedback noted. Pardon my exuberance.

Havok said:
It's a really amazing mode, but I think they scratch totally different itches for me. Horde is such a meaty, lengthy progression that I don't tend to play it by myself (because it's a test of self-restraint to keep myself from shouting at the randoms who don't understand how to spend their money), while Firefight is a spur-of-the-moment arcadey experience that I can run through by myself waiting for others to get on. Maybe someday someone will package the two experiences into one delicious bundle.

(I will play Horde with any and all comers, shoot me a message)
This is my hope. I agree that they both scratch different itches, but that potential delicious bundle has my sweet tooth aching. I'll be playing a lot in the next couple of weeks of recovery, so I'd love to get some HordeGAF going.

GhaleonEB said:
I would need to like Gears a lot more than I like Gears. :(

I'm hoping Firefight gets a thorough update with Halo 4.
:-(
It's an acquired taste, but the third time is definitely the charm.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Well that was a fun weekly, got up to Silver in the Spree commendation while doing it so yay!

Any H3/Reach customs happening right now?

MrBig said:
I liked how Bungie snuck in 7 occasionally, but 343 is really going overboard with their number

I like it personally, its like a signature... a reminder that they have increased payouts lol. I love seeing that 343 as theres usually a pretty big number in front of it. :p

Fake edit:

lybertyboy said:

Doh. Dont do it!

feel

wwm0nkey said:
and this is mine http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23813767&player=wwm0nkey

Both are good but play differently. If one had to go into MM though I would pick V2.
What are the settings on V2? Is that the one where the 4th shot removes the shield?? Yeah I prefer that one. People only eat body shots because of lag/host stuff (it's still 3 shots on body to kill), and the one shot one grenade thing is not a problem because it has to be an absolutely perfect touching feet grenade on a guy that can easily move fast or jump away from damage once he hears the clinking sound or sees the enemy throwing it. We played a couple of games of it yesterday and it was more than fine.

Not a fan of the reduced jump or lack of oneshot warning in Booshka's current gametype.

lybertyboy said:

To be honest 7 seems like Bungie still... or at least the motif?

you guys should try the number 6, or maybe even 9? Maybe a combination of two numbers?

Tawpgun

Only problem I had with no bloom was the headshot through shields. Something I think a megalo tweak could fix. I loved the pistol and DMR complimenting each other. It was a lot of fun. But I can see how it might screw the sandbox over in general.

No bloom DMR, AR secondary (consolation prize for the nubs/clean up) No headshot through shields. Still 5 to kill.

Boom.

Keep in mind we're messing with ONE variant and twisting some knobs. We haven't even gotten to the BETA hoppers, let alone the final variants once anniversary comes out.

MrBig

A27_StarWolf said:
To be honest 7 seems like Bungie still... or at least the motif?

you guys should try the number 6, or maybe even 9? Maybe a combination of two numbers?
or how about... 343?

So I tested one simple query to try out the Reach API. I just got back info on the last game I played... I GOT SOOO MUCH INFORMATION! Data you don't see on bnet currently. Most of it will be irrelevant but I was learning some XML today so JSON shoudln't be too difficult to parse the information from. This is so cooool!! /nerdrant

Farooq

Banned
KidA Seven said:
Booshka, what are your settings specifically?

Damage: Default

Damage Resistance: 110%

Movement is what GAF came up with aside from the jump settings.

120% Speed

150% Gravity

110% Jump

Booshka did you up the rate the shields recharge I don't remember.

Also, no AA's and DMR starts.

Letters said:
What are the settings on V2? Is that the one where the 4th shot removes the shield?? Yeah I prefer that one. People only eat body shots because of lag/host stuff (it's still 3 shots on body to kill), and the one shot one grenade thing is not a problem because it has to be an absolutely perfect touching feet grenade on a guy that can easily move fast or jump away from damage once he hears the clinking sound or sees the enemy throwing it. We played a couple of games of it yesterday and it was more than fine.

Not a fan of the reduced jump or lack of oneshot warning in Booshka's current gametype.

If you have damage resistance at default, you get the 1 shot warning after the 4th shot.

The idea behind the 110% damage resistance is to nerf the grenades. Both 110% damage resistance and default damage resistance give you a 5 shot DMR.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hydranockz said:
So I tested one simple query to try out the Reach API. I just got back info on the last game I played... I GOT SOOO MUCH INFORMATION! Data you don't see on bnet currently. Most of it will be irrelevant but I was learning some XML today so JSON shoudln't be too difficult to parse the information from. This is so cooool!! /nerdrant

Ahh that's fuckin exciting. I actually just bought an old Java textbook to start making some programs again. I can't wait to get it going. Maybe I'll do something Halo related. o_O

These are the current settings favored by mlg forum users.

Agreed
125% damage
150% resist

Debating still
90%(makes it a 4 shot beatdown) or 100%(makes it 3 shot beatdown) Melee
200% gravity
110% or 120%(favored currently) speed

This makes 4 shots to kill if you hit the head, and 7 shots to kill if you hit the body.

If you use the 110% settings, it's 4 shots to the head, and 6 body shots to kill.

I got my first taste of Zero Bloom Slayer DMRs last night, playing 1v1 custom with a friend.

I've been playing alot of Gears 3 this past week so things may just feel dIfferent, but have the following changed?

Movespeed - feels quite a bit quicker, I feel like a fucking ninja moving around some of the maps.

Jump Height - feels roughly the same, might just be the movespeed affecting me, but it feels like I may be jumping a little higher/longer.

Grenades - tested a few times on Zealot with a friend. It may have been the crazy lag we were getting, but seemed the grenades have adjusted fuse times?

Needless to say, the gametype feels fantastic. I have a deep sense of dread at the thought of a 4 shot pistol, 5 shot DMR and 6 shot Nerfle. However it seems to play brilliantly. I am still adjusting to the bleed through effects, so some headshots are unexpected and/or aggravating. How the melee system is much, much better. The ability to finish someone who is sprinting at me with a few bullets plus a melee, is exactly what I wanted.

Well done 343i. You have outdone yourselves. Now can we have dedicated servers?

Tashi0106 said:
Ahh that's fuckin exciting. I actually just bought an old Java textbook to start making some programs again. I can't wait to get it going. Maybe I'll do something Halo related. o_O
I'd say do it! I'm basically relearning programming (at the end of a games course lol). I really should have done more but this project is not only really interesting because of the content, but really fun for me too. I'm recklessly optimistic! :p JSON seems really easy to manipulate and seems to be a nice alternative to XML.

Farooq

Banned
KidA Seven said:
These are the current settings favored by mlg forum users.

125% damage
150% resist
90% or 100% Melee
200% gravity
110% or 120%(favored currently) speed

This makes 4 shots to kill if you hit the head, and 7 shots to kill if you hit the body.

Yea but if you get shot once with the DMR and then hit with a nade you die.

Also if you get shot once and then hit with a sniper shot to the body you die. So while you get a 4 shot DMR, there are other consequences to gameplay that are just undesirable.

I don't love or despise bloom.

For me, it's a means to an end. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Halo title with bloom is also the Halo title that has the most balanced and widely-used arsenal of weapons in the entirety of the series.

Bloom is not a perfect system, and quite frankly, it wasn't implemented as well as it could have been. I think a larger amount of bloom and a faster return to baseline would have been preferable.

It seems pretty hip to hate on Reach these days, but I've played hundreds of hours in every Halo game since the original, been pretty good at all of them, and Reach is definitely the one I've had the most fun with.

Oh, and armor abilities are fun too. :p

GhaleonEB

A27_StarWolf said:
lybertyboy are you going to take that???

343 v A27
Fix'd.

I'm still marinating in Deus Ex, having recently discovered the revolver + exploding ammo upgrade (someone in the official thread described it as a hitscan Concussion Rifle, which is spot-on). But I'm popping onto Reach now and then to knock off a few Challenges. I apprecaite that the Campaign ones have been bumped up considerably; the one today is a good example. I've always done Campaign Challenges despite the payouts, not because of them, but a 4,000 cR payout is a nice little motivator on top of it. Since that mode forgoes both commendation payouts and a decent game complete bonus the increased Challenge credits are nice to see.

The Antitype said:
I don't love or despise bloom.

For me, it's a means to an end. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Halo title with bloom is also the Halo title that has the most balanced and widely-used arsenal of weapons in the entirety of the series.

Halo CE is on the line.

Farooq said:
Yea but if you get shot once with the DMR and then hit with a nade you die.

Also if you get shot once and then hit with a sniper shot to the body you die. So while you get a 4 shot DMR, there are other consequences to gameplay that are just undesirable.

Supposedly it somehow doesn't alter anything. I'll have to read a little more, but that's what it seems like.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Farooq

Banned
KidA Seven said:
Supposedly it somehow doesn't alter anything. I'll have to read a little more, but that's what it seems like.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Devo, Booshka and I did a bit of testing yesterday.

Feel free to test it out your self. If you are going to increase the damage to make the DMR require one less shot to kill, it is pretty hard to believe that it won't affect the rest of the sandbox.

Getting shot once with the DMR and dying to a grenade got pretty frustrating. Especially considering how grenade spam heavy some maps can be.

Homeboyd

The new payouts for the challenges are so refreshing. Yeah, Im a challenge whore.. so what? They can use all the "343's" they want because they'll be attached to payouts that are 3-4x that of what they were before.

I like them so much, I already took out the weekly.

#stealthsomething

The Antitype said:
That has nothing to do with bloom and everything to do with no dual wielding to completely ruin most of the weapons. As Devo said, CE had loads of variety despite having the most powerful iteration of a versatile precision weapon.

orznge

Banned
The Antitype said:

To be clear a "balanced" and "widely-used" weapon set doesn't necessarily mean it's parts have any mechanical depth. Additionally the game's engine and player properties can contribute to the weapons' depth even if, on paper, they don't seem to have any.

neoism

Hydranockz said:
Here come some dailies with such numbers as;

and the rare
fuck that.... use 117343 for the next weekly and make it hard or something. 2000 firefight kills or something like that, that will take all week to get it.

Sean P.

So my buddies picked up their consoles today, I'll be getting mine next week, SO EXCITED.

UsNkv.jpg

feel

Farooq said:
If you have damage resistance at default, you get the 1 shot warning after the 4th shot.

The idea behind the 110% damage resistance is to nerf the grenades. Both 110% damage resistance and default damage resistance give you a 5 shot DMR.
wwM0nkey's gametype is far from default, it's closer to the MLG one (if not the exact same) with modifications to damage modifiers and whatnot, and it has all three things: 5 shot kill (or 4 + 3 body shots), sufficiently nerfed grenades AND oneshot warning. The one shot and one grenade death is a lot worse in tests than in practice (specially with the 125% jump I favor). I'm quite fond of it.

Rickenslacker said:
That has nothing to do with bloom and everything to do with no dual wielding to completely ruin most of the weapons. As Devo said, CE had loads of variety despite having the most powerful iteration of a versatile precision weapon.

See, I disagree. I don't think Halo: CE had anywhere near as much balance or variety of player-to-player engagements as Reach does.

Dual-wielding definitely hurt Halo 2, but even when it was essentially brushed to the side for Halo 3, you had a single, versatile weapon dominating the vast majority of player-to-player exchanges.

orznge said:
To be clear a "balanced" and "widely-used" weapon set doesn't necessarily mean it's parts have any mechanical depth. Additionally the game's engine and player properties can contribute to the weapons' depth even if, on paper, they don't seem to have any.

Agreed. Many factors contribute to the breadth, depth and balance of the weapons in Halo Reach. But surely we can agree that bloom is one of the major factors helping to keep each weapon in it's designated role within the sandbox?

Look, if 343i can remove bloom and skill keep Reach as balanced as it was with bloom, then you won't hear any complaints with me. Bloom is a means to an end - if that end can be reached without it, then so be it. I just think that to date, it's the best solution I've seen in a Halo game.

Top Bottom