• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

FyreWulff

Couldn't you quick camo with any gun in CE? I seem to remember doing it with the pistol

The bug being that the game was set up to slowly camo you upon picking up, but the code from re-camoing after firing overrode it and made you camo faster.

Booshka

You could only quick camo with AR, PR, PP, and Shotgun, you had to fire to initiate the glitch, but you had to have one of those weapons out. Usually you would just shoot a few rounds of your AR and go into quick camo, or you could shoot your pistol once then quickly switch weapons.

Out of sheer luck, none of the power weapons or Pistol have the functionality, so you have to be holding one of those other weapons to get the quick camo. Pretty brilliant glitch actually, like most of CE's MP glitches.

FyreWulff said:
Couldn't you quick camo with any gun in CE? I seem to remember doing it with the pistol

The bug being that the game was set up to slowly camo you upon picking up, but the code from re-camoing after firing overrode it and made you camo faster.
It was a non-zoom weapon thing, giving the AR some use to spawn with.

Booshka

Rickenslacker said:
It was a non-zoom weapon thing, giving the AR some use to spawn with.
Never thought of it that way, that is probably why it doesn't work for Rockets Sniper and Pistol, they all have a scope.

orznge

Banned
FyreWulff said:

Pretty obvious fakepost, FyreWulff. We all know you would never do something unintended by the developer.

I asked this earlier, but I didn't really seem a response, is there anywhere with a comprehensive list of the changes that 343 is rolling out into all playlists, vs what's going into the anniversary playlists?

Rickenslacker said:
Without the levels of magnetism found in the later games, the three shot pistol didn't necessarily mean people were killing you in their first three shots. The plasma rifle had the added benefit of stunning, and with the movement capabilities you had in CE, allowed for some CQC trickery, I can't say as much for the PRs of Reach. AR had the unintended effect of allowing quick camo, so it wasn't so bad to carry it around either.

I mean, what are we really referring to here? Is Reach so great because of how some people use the AR? It's still a power weapon oriented game. It was even MORE dedicated to chucking grenades and using power weapons because the main weapon was so inconsistent.

I see people using everything.

AR vs. DMR at short-to-mid range, AR is still viable.

NR vs. DMR, NR has the advantage at shorter range, DMR has the advantage at mid-range, both are viable in each other's dog-house.

Needler is an effective weapon (unlike CE).

Plasma Repeater needs a buff, you're right. I'd love to see the stun from the PR return.

It's still a map control and power-weapon game, but there are now more viable power weapons in play, so securing the ONE isn't as key. Grenade Launcher, Plasma Launcher, Focus Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Rockets, Laser - they're all useful, all worth pursuing, and I've seen all of them in play.

I'm just saying in my experience, I see all the weapons in Reach being used more often, more effectively, and seen more varied battles and scenarios play out as a result of the different combinations of guns going at it.

I personally prefer that to one weapon dominating the landscape.

feel

The customs going on right now are pretty fantastic. EazyB is a great party leader and knows what to pick. Too bad my conection is being difficult right now, I was constantly on yellow bars and bringing down my team so I had to bail. gg guys

The Antitype said:
I see people using everything.

AR vs. DMR at short-to-mid range, AR is still viable.

NR vs. DMR, NR has the advantage at shorter range, DMR has the advantage at mid-range, both are viable in each other's dog-house.

Needler is an effective weapon (unlike CE).

Plasma Repeater needs a buff, you're right. I'd love to see the stun from the PR return.
I feel like Needler is the one weapon that gets off being pretty useless in CE, it can't even quick camo. Other than that, all the weapons have their purpose. The sandbox is smaller, but there's less redundancy. Comparing one versatile precision weapon with another from Reach can't equate to CE, because it only had the one. Even in those LAN videos that were posted quite a few pages back had a lot of weapon diversity, just because kill times were fast in general, movement was more free flowing, magnetism didn't dominate, and all weapons served some kind of purpose.

The Antitype said:
It's still a map control and power-weapon game, but there are now more viable power weapons in play, so securing the ONE isn't as key. Grenade Launcher, Plasma Launcher, Focus Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Rockets, Laser - they're all useful, all worth pursuing, and I've seen all of them in play.
:X

FyreWulff

Only thing I miss about the Focus Rifle is the ability in the beta to flip over hogs and pin them against the wall on Invasion.

On second thought, probably why they took it's physics push away.

Also of note for a possible 1.2: could you guys look into making it so normal camo keeps your first person camo'd completely? Currently still behaves like the AA and de-camos your FP model even though you're still completely camo'd in the game world.

These are my classic settings:

Movement 120
Jump 125
Gravity 200
Shield recharge rate 110
health recharge rate 110
Damage 100
Damage resistance 100
Melee damage 75
No AAs

I liked booshkas gametype but it felt like people were eating shots constantly.

Rickenslacker said:
I feel like Needler is the one weapon that gets off being pretty useless in CE, it can't even quick camo. Other than that, all the weapons have their purpose. The sandbox is smaller, but there's less redundancy. Comparing one versatile precision weapon with another from Reach can't equate to CE, because it only had the one. Even in those LAN videos that were posted quite a few pages back had a lot of weapon diversity, just because kill times were fast in general, movement was more free flowing, magnetism didn't dominate, and all weapons served some kind of purpose.

:X

*shrugs*

Agree to disagree.

Every weapon in Halo: CE had an intended role in the sandbox, but the pistol was so versatile that it overlapped with pretty much everything, so people went with it 90% of the time. I sunk hours in Halo CE, and by the end I was so burned out on god-damn pistol sniping, I was happy to jump in with dual-wielding, even though it was less skillful or satisfying. At least it was fucking different.

As for the Focus Rifle and Plasma Launcher, I never said they were amazing weapons or that I even personally loved them (although I do enjoy using the FR). Only that they are quite capable of killing people using the DMR with a similar level of effort, and that I see people using them a lot more than I ever saw people using the PP, PR, Needler, or AR in Halo: CE.

Letters said:
The customs going on right now are pretty fantastic. EazyB is a great party leader and knows what to pick. Too bad my conection is being difficult right now, I was constantly on yellow bars and bringing down my team so I had to bail. gg guys
I think I had played one game of team slayer in the last 48 hours and then I immediately jumped into customs with all of you tryhards, I mean Halogaf people ;) We proceeded to play on map after map that I was unaccustomed to and I got donged on left and right. I'm trying to come with excuses for playing badly tonight, but that's all they are, excuses, lol.

I know I was playing with people much better than me, which affected my enjoyment. But still I did not like the zero bloom dmr settings that were used, or maybe it was that the pistol was missing. The DMR felt bland, very bland. After stopping our games, I actually missed bloom :p Then again, if we had played on anything that I was familiar with, I might have done better at adjusting to the fast pace and skill level of everyone.

Good games though. And I always appreciate the invites.

Deputy Moonman said:
I think I had played one game of team slayer in the last 48 hours and then I immediately jumped into customs with all of you tryhards, I mean Halogaf people ;) We proceeded to play on map after map that I was unaccustomed to and I got donged on left and right. I'm trying to come with excuses for playing badly tonight, but that's all they are, excuses, lol.

I know I was playing with people much better than me, which affected my enjoyment. But still I did not like the zero bloom dmr settings that were used, or maybe it was that the pistol was missing. The DMR felt bland, very bland. After stopping our games, I actually missed bloom :p Then again, if we had played on anything that I was familiar with, I might have done better at adjusting to the fast pace and skill level of everyone.

Good games though. And I always appreciate the invites.

In a perfect world those settings would stay the same but ROF/Magnetism would take a hit so that you could do more strafing and juking, especially if someone spots you first.

Edit: Oh and shields need to start coming back up so much faster.

vhfive

sorry I had to bail was having mic issues and my brother wanted to play with me.

zero bloom is fun but I was having trouble adjusting (doesn't help that I used to gears and blops right now) looking forward to playing it more should make reach a lot more fun to play.

The Antitype said:
*shrugs*

Agree to disagree.

Every weapon in Halo: CE had an intended role in the sandbox, but the pistol was so versatile that it overlapped with pretty much everything, so people went with it 90% of the time. I sunk hours in Halo CE, and by the end I was so burned out on god-damn pistol sniping, I was happy to jump in with dual-wielding, even though it was less skillful or satisfying. At least it was fucking different.

As for the Focus Rifle and Plasma Launcher, I never said they were amazing weapons or that I even personally loved them (although I do enjoy using the FR). Only that they are quite capable of killing people using the DMR with a similar level of effort, and that I see people using them a lot more than I ever saw people using the PP, PR, Needler, or AR in Halo: CE.
I find that the Nerfle/DMR/pistol are so versatile in Reach that any one of them is the top of anyone's ToD by a significant chunk anyway, it's an inescapable aspect of Halo gameplay, just that because of their random bloom factor power weapons have more supremacy in use. I'll agree to disagree though, I have nothing more to say on the subject. :p

Also on that note we need dedis in Halo 4 and less magnetism because of it since no one has to deal with host BS. Get to it 343.

Rickenslacker said:
I find that the Nerfle/DMR/pistol are so versatile in Reach that any one of them is the top of anyone's ToD by a significant chunk anyway, it's an inescapable aspect of Halo gameplay, just that because of their random bloom factor power weapons have more supremacy in use. I'll agree to disagree though, I have nothing more to say on the subject. :p

Also on that note we need dedis in Halo 4 and less magnetism because of it since no one has to deal with host BS. Get to it 343.

I really want to see H4 with dedis, especially considering how international HaloGAF is.

GhaleonEB

Striker said:
Plasma Launcher is pretty useful in BTB. One weapon they should've introduced in Halo 3, not the terrible laser.
I think the Plasma Launcher fills a similar role as the Missile Pod, which is what really should have replaced the Spartan Laser in Halo 3. It was a much more balanced anti-vehicle weapon, I always thought it was strange to create that and then make its antithesis in the laser.

I don't really mind the Spartan Laser, but only because it's so much fun to use. I can see how it's unbalanced by virtue of the fact that it's powerful, accurate, and has a long range.

Maybe only give the thing 2 shots?

Booshka

Rickenslacker said:
Some choice quotes from tonight's customs.
mostly from Devo ;P

"Booshka is eating shots."

"Booshka should be dead right now."

"God Booshka eats."

"This is Bullshit."

Yeah, I think we need dedicated servers.

Booshka said:
Some choice quotes from tonight's customs.
mostly from Devo ;P

"Booshka is eating shots."

"Booshka should be dead right now."

"God Booshka eats."

"This is Bullshit."

Yeah, I think we need dedicated servers.

=). I'm pretty sure I had some games earlier in which I was eatin' them too. Like the customs I had with monkey and neo.

The Antitype said:
Maybe only give the thing 2 shots?
If a weapon is broken and viewed as unfair/unfun, reducing the ammo count isn't the right way to fix it.

I wouldn't want a Perfect Dark FarSight on a map even if it only had 1 shot.

ncsuDuncan said:
If a weapon is broken and viewed as unfair/unfun, reducing the ammo count isn't the right way to fix it.

Yeah all you really need with it is one shot to ruin a vehicle lul.

ncsuDuncan said:

Well yeah, but I think we can agree there's a difference between a weapon that can shoot through walls without warning, vs a weapon with a fair charge-up time and a fairly obvious indicator that it's in the process of firing.

The issue I have with the weapon is that the target, a vehicle doesn't have much recourse against somebody using it. It's that vehicle's teammates on the field with DMRs that have to try and distract or take down the laser user.

Maybe the laser drains the user's shields to power it?

feel

Devolution said:
I really want to see H4 with dedis, especially considering how international HaloGAF is.
FUCK YES

That would be incredible. MS has to do this for Halo, specially now that gears has them. We're paying for xbox live, paying for a bunch of dlc, still getting a bunch of ads, and all the money they're doing goes to getting partnerships for services most of us don't use on our consoles. Enough with thinking halo doesn't need them because it has competent p2p netcode, it doesn't, not when you play with people from around the globe which is the point of xbox live.

Dax01 said:
Will read.
And finished! My favorite FUD article so far. I've had similar thoughts (spoilers for Cryptum, Ghal):
That the Gravemind is actually an imprisoned Precursor, reborn again and again. The ultimate sentence for the most heinous of crimes. But it never occurred to me to put two and two together with the Gravemind and the Prisoner.

Though there seems to be a mistake in the article. The Precursor's weren't destroyed by the Halo rings. Here:
It is ironic that because of the condemned one’s imprisonment it became the last of its kind, surviving only because of its seclusion from the Halo effect.
It's implying the Precursors got killed by the Halo rings.

orznge

Banned
Plywood said:
Nah guys Halo doesn't need dedi's the netcode holds up just fine.

agree 100%, and while we're at it, can we get the FOV turned back down (I mean if it's only going to be 80 or something then I don't mind it going back down to 60 so we can get some more eye candy) and the aim acceleration "weird" like it was in Halo 3 (took more skill to aim, it seems really "robotic" in Reach)

aDDiKt24

Banned
Plywood said:
Nah guys Halo doesn't need dedi's the netcode holds up just fine.

I think any game with the amount of support Halo has and the amount of players on a daily basis, deserves dedicated servers. There is no argument here, it needs to be done. With the money were are also paying for live (I have no problem with paying for xbox live) you would think the marquee game would receive the full red carpet treatment.

I always thought Gears 3 release with dedicated servers would start a trend for big xbox live releases (hopefully all releases) to have dedicated servers. Only time will tell.

I think it is a nessecary component in Halo 4 no matter how good the netcode.

FyreWulff

Can Microsoft please go back to Amazon for map pack codes? Gamestop is now withholding the most recent Defiant code I just bought because I'm now having my order reviewed for some reason, probably for buying 3 in the last hour.

Annoying enough that they limit you to one at a time. Don't know why their site is so picky when they'll let you buy any amount in person.

ElRenoRaven

The Antitype said:
Well yeah, but I think we can agree there's a difference between a weapon that can shoot through walls without warning, vs a weapon with a fair charge-up time and a fairly obvious indicator that it's in the process of firing.

The issue I have with the weapon is that the target, a vehicle doesn't have much recourse against somebody using it. It's that vehicle's teammates on the field with DMRs that have to try and distract or take down the laser user.

Maybe the laser drains the user's shields to power it?

Even then that wouldn't be enough because as said 1 shot and bam vehicles dead and their shields recharge and on to the next vehicle. That's why while I'm not a BR/DMR fan when I think bullshit I don't think those. I think laser. It should have never been added to the damn sandbox. Never in a million years. The only weapon remotely near it's level of bullshit is the Halo 2 rocket launcher with it's insane rocket lock on that could go through doorways, around corners, out windows, and still nail a banshee mid flip that had flown clear across the map to get away from it.

Tawpgun

The Antitype said:
*shrugs*

Agree to disagree.

Are you really against a utility weapon? It's been a Halo staple....

Weren't you complaining about the gnasher in the Gears 3 topic too? Also a staple.

Without a utility weapon to fight over the niche/power weapons, Halo turns into Rock-Paper-Scissors gameplay which is terrible.

A27 Tawpgun said:

Weren't you complaining about the gnasher in the Gears 3 topic too? Also a staple.

Without a utility weapon to fight over the niche/power weapons, Halo turns into Rock-Paper-Scissors gameplay which is terrible.

No, the gnasher is fine.

Although Gears of War multiplayer is built on sloppy play mechanics and satisfying, visceral kills. My issue is the SOS, which is basically a WIN button that let's them get around weapons like the gnasher, Lancer, and whatnot, which basically work as intended around half the time.

And utility weapons are fine. A utility weapon should NEVER be the best option in any given scenario. It should be the back-up, the thing that works alright and gives you a fighting chance.

If everybody in the game is choosing the 'utility weapon' as their first choice, then it's not a utility weapon anymore. It's a broken weapon.

Striker said:
What? lol

How about it is just removed. It's a terrible weapon. Use Rockets and Plasma Launcher.

I'm just thinking up random ideas for ways it could stay in the game, cause it's a fun weapon to use.

A27 Tawpgun said:

Reach turned into that with its AA bullshit. Rock, paper, scissors. Just another reason I loathe Armor Ability loadouts.

The Antitype said:
No, the gnasher is fine.

Although Gears of War multiplayer is built on sloppy play mechanics and satisfying, visceral kills. My issue is the SOS, which is basically a WIN button that let's them get around weapons like the gnasher, Lancer, and whatnot, which basically work as intended around half the time.

And utility weapons are fine. A utility weapon should NEVER be the best option in any given scenario. It should be the back-up, the thing that works alright and gives you a fighting chance.

If everybody in the game is choosing the 'utility weapon' as their first choice, then it's not a utility weapon anymore. It's a broken weapon.

You're conflating the reluctance to experiment with other weapons in the sandbox and those weapons actually being worse than the weapon one gets off spawn. This is why CE > Reach. Just because most people stayed with the pistol doesn't mean other weapons on the map were useless or more niche to a certain playstyle (close combat, power, distance). Each weapon when used properly could actually beat out the pistol. But the pistol ensured that on spawn you could defend yourself.

Karl2177

A27 Tawpgun said:
Is it better than rock-rock-rock gameplay?

I agree with the both of you. Halo needs power weapons that are fun to use and are well... powerful. But if you only have power weapons, it devolves into choosing the right power weapon for the encounter and hoping you didn't guess improperly. Which is why you need the support weapon to have the opportunity to out-power the power weapon. I could bring up my altered weapon sandbox a billion times, but I think I've beaten that horse to death and continued with the mauling anyways.

Karl2177 said:
Is it better than rock-rock-rock gameplay?

I agree with the both of you. Halo needs power weapons that are fun to use and are well... powerful. But if you only have power weapons, it devolves into choosing the right power weapon for the encounter and hoping you didn't guess improperly. Which is why you need the support weapon to have the opportunity to out-power the power weapon. I could bring up my altered weapon sandbox a billion times, but I think I've beaten that horse to death and continued with the mauling anyways.

He's saying that a utility weapon on spawn puts everyone on equal ground for most encounters. Especially at the beginning. Then you can fight each other on mostly equal terms for better weapons. If you're not allowed some form of defense on spawn, which a utility weapon provides, then it just becomes one sided real quick.

Karl2177

Devolution said:
He's saying that a utility weapon on spawn puts everyone on equal ground for most encounters. Especially at the beginning. Then you can fight each other on mostly equal terms for better weapons. If you're not allowed some form of defense on spawn, which a utility weapon provides, then it just becomes one sided real quick.
I'm probably going to get a great response from this, but the H3 BR was the best utility weapon off spawn. Why? It simply allowed you to defend until you were in a position to attack. H:CE Pistol immediately gave you an opportunity to attack, with 3-5 shots to kill. H2 BR did the same thing. Because of the spread on the H3 BR, you didn't necessarily kill the power weapon holders off spawn. You were almost forced to defend with the BR by drawing them out of their scopes.

Devolution said:
You're conflating the reluctance to experiment with other weapons in the sandbox and those weapons actually being worse than the weapon one gets off spawn. This is why CE > Reach. Just because most people stayed with the pistol doesn't mean other weapons on the map were useless or more niche to a certain playstyle (close combat, power, distance). Each weapon when used properly could actually beat out the pistol. But the pistol ensured that on spawn you could defend yourself.

This argument is spiraling away from where it started. I think a utility weapon is necessary, and I think the DMR was a great utility weapon, and to a lesser extent so was the pistol (it was great in the beta).

My issue, is that I think the success of the DMR and pistol was utility weapons in Reach was due in large part to reticule bloom. That helped ensure that they were incredibly effective for their role in the sandbox, and much less effective when taken out of that role. Without bloom, there is nothing to stop somebody from turning the DMR into an effective close-range weapon by spamming the trigger, or a devastating long-range weapon by piling on shots at range without having to wait for the bloom to reset.

I have no problem with utility weapons. When that weapon becomes to versatile, the game gets really fucking boring.

The Antitype said:
I have no problem with utility weapons. When that weapon becomes to versatile, the game gets really fucking boring.
Thing is, bloom doesn't stop the DMR from being spammable close range with great success. It just means that sometimes when the game feels like it you're gonna lose because the game flipped tails and the skill required for a weapon that gives you more time to aim to make it perfectly accurate makes the game really boring.

Bloom does work for longer ranges though, which is why even I dread a ZBDMR for big maps.

Finally got the silver commendation for Crack Shot and closing in on getting the gold commendation for One Shot

As for how many kills are needed to get Crack Shot gold......fuck that

Top Bottom