• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
kylej said:
I can't argue with someone who actually reads stories about the Halo universe.

If fighting wise-cracking grunts, various colored elites, and brutes while Cortana talks to in your ear, and you eventually have to drive a warthog around some war-torn earthy battlefield still sounds fresh and exciting, more power to you.
Don't worry, they'll somehow make the war with the Covenant start over again so you can be all depressed about it. Instead of doing something interesting with the Forerunner.

PooBone

kylej said:
I can't argue with someone who actually reads stories about the Halo universe.

If fighting wise-cracking grunts, various colored elites, and brutes while Cortana talks to in your ear, and you eventually have to drive a warthog around some war-torn earthy battlefield still sounds fresh and exciting, more power to you.
No my reason for asking you to STFU is because there is precisely zero evidence that that is anywhere even remotely close to what you'll be doing. By all indications, there won't even be Covenant. Hearing Frankie say that one guy wanted to do something different than what they are actually doing is not a cry of "WE ARE DOING THE SAME THING AND HE WANTED TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT." On the contrary, they are doing their own take on Halo, how different it is nobody knows, but it's not as radically different as Payton would have liked. If Halo 4 was Metal Gear Halo, 343 would be crucified, and rightly so. But to sit and pretend you have evidence that Halo 4 is the exact same formula of characters/enemies/objectives/tropes is completely asinine and it needs to be pointed out. In reality, the more and more details we find out, the more your bullshit sounds completely off-base.

So again, kylej, STFU.

heckfu

Banned
PooBone said:
No my reason for asking you to STFU is because there is precisely zero evidence that that is anywhere even remotely close to what you'll be doing. By all indications, there won't even be Covenant. Hearing Frankie say that one guy wanted to do something different than what they are actually doing is not a cry of "WE ARE DOING THE SAME THING AND HE WANTED TO SOMETHING DIFFERENT." On the contrary, they are doing their own take on Halo, how different it is nobody knows, but it's not as radically different as Payton would have liked. If Halo 4 was Metal Gear Halo, 343 would be crucified, and rightly so. But to sit and pretend you have evidence that Halo 4 is the exact same formula of characters/enemies/objectives/tropes is completely asinine and it needs to be pointed out.

So again, kylej, STFU.
Jesus, this thread is toxic this morning.

daedalius

More advanced flood forms would be an interesting opponent to fight in Halo 4; I mean they could still use some of the Elite and Brute's AI for them, just make them different.

But yea bringing back Elites and Brutes, or just the Covenant in general, would be kind of odd considering where Halo3 left off...

GhaleonEB

Frankie's comment had much more to do with the story telling method than the content of the story. Pretty weird to jump to conclusions like that.

Havok

Deputy Moonman said:
So one thing I have issues with while playing Halo is accidentally clicking the sticks on my controller during combat. I did it tonight multiple times and unintentionally zoomed in when trying to do close quarters combat. It's awful. I happened to look into the controller settings and saw something I'd never seen before: clench protection... /Mind Blown
I don't recommend using clench protection. It causes a huge delay when you actually do want to zoom or crouch, since the whole point is that it won't react instantly to accidental clicks. Too bad that means it can't react to purposeful clicks either. More trouble than it's worth.

daedalius said:
More advanced flood forms would be an interesting opponent to fight in Halo 4; I mean they could still use some of the Elite and Brute's AI for them, just make them different.
They tried the whole 'advanced Flood' thing with the Pure Forms and it resulted in the worst enemies in the series.

PooBone

Zeouterlimits said:
That certainly was a good read, thanks for that.
Not sure if I agree with all of it, but that's part of the appeal for me, pondering and differing.
Postmortem does a great job of collecting the facts we have and making some really focused speculation about where they could be taking the franchise, but there's still so many ways the ship could turn. Reading good exposition like this, though, just gets me excited about the possibilities for the future and the depth of the mysteries they are presenting. Gives me a feeling I haven't had since pre-Halo 3, when there was actually something to be learned in a game about the whole galactic/forerunner mystery.

neoism said:
lol Why the fuck would it... I laughed...
I think Frankie just wanted to remove all the confusion that was there after the original Kotaku article.
Friends, who would just read Kotaku asked me about 2 weeks ago - "So is Halo 4 screwed now that the Creative Director left?" etc.

Lyphen said:
Don't worry, they'll somehow make the war with the Covenant start over again so you can be all depressed about it. Instead of doing something interesting with the Forerunner.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I have high hopes for the Halo 4 story. I'm incredibly excited for the next projects from 343 and Bungie because they are both being planned out with future games/fiction in mind.

- When the Halo CE story was written, no one had any idea that there would be demand for Halo 2. They were just scrambling to put out a launch title for the Xbox, they had no clue it would become a 10+ year franchise.

- When the Halo 2 story was written, there were no plans yet for Halo 3. The cliffhanger was a result of scheduling pressure forcing them to cut out the end of the story.

- When Halo 3 was written, there was a deliberate decision to end the trilogy instead of planning for Halo 4. Bungie was done with Master Chief.

- ODST was a side story. Halo: Reach was a prequel.

Halo 4 is the first game in the Reclaimer Trilogy. The story is being written with sequels in mind from the start. It will have connections to the Glasslands books, Cryptum/Primordium/Dongblainium, and the Halo Anniversary terminals. I'm pretty sure 343 is smart enough to come up with something better than simply restarting the Covenant War. They have already done interesting things with the Forerunner in the books and from the look of the concept art they are taking that even further with Halo 4. Beli343.

I know you weren't talking about Bungie, but their next game (Tiger/Destiny) is being planned as the start of a 10-year franchise. They aren't approaching the story in the same way they did Halo CE, I'm sure they're planning ahead for sequels this time.

It's going to be pretty great getting new fiction from two different franchises. Canon sticklers are going to be happier this time around, I'm sure.

PooBone

PsychoRaven said:
It's kind of sad that they have to do an interview about it. I mean how many other studios do you see have to do interviews about a departure? To me it really comes off as he just wasn't a good fit for the team. As a result it was probably a mutual choice for him to depart.
It's just because he was one of the first people that was a known hire for 343. And he had a public reputation because of the PR and podcasts he did for MGS4.

It was kind of a big deal when Alex Seropian left Bungie, or Patrice Dsilets left the Assassin's Creed team for THQ, or when the founders of Infinity Ward were fired, but they had MUCH larger positions at their respective teams than Payton did at 343.

feel

Sorry, Ryan Payton seems like a great guy and all, but as a Metal Gear Solid fanboy I feel Halo 4 will be way better off without his input. Pretty sure he holds big responsibility for a lot of what went extremely wrong in MGS4.

Sotaro Tojima now, what a fucking catch!! :O

neoism

Zeouterlimits said:
I think Frankie just wanted to remove all the confusion that was there after the original Kotaku article.
Friends, who would just read Kotaku asked me about 2 weeks ago - "So is Halo 4 screwed now that the Creative Director left?" etc.
Ryan is no one special not sure why he is so popular... as long as Frankie is BOSS, halo is fine.

daedalius

Havok said:
They tried the whole 'advanced Flood' thing with the Pure Forms and it resulted in the worst enemies in the series.

Well I obviously didn't mean for them to just rehash the Pure forms, they would have to come up with something new.

neoism said:
Ryan is no one special not sure why he is so popular... as long as Frankie is BOSS, halo is fine.
a)These people didn't even know who Ryan was, and certainly have no idea who Frankie is.
b)Ryan's great AND special, screw you guys.

senador

Banned
I finished Cryptum last night and read Dani's latest article. Both were really good. Cryptum was not what I expected and once I got passed the first few chapters it got really interesting. I loved how tied into a lot of things and kept me reading. The trilogy is going to be a really great prequel/intro series and they get me excited for the Reclaimer game trilogy.

Capture-5.jpg

Lol at guests in Team Snipers

Ramirez

A27_StarWolf said:
Who is that?

Was anyone dumb enough to buy medal of honor to get into the BF3 beta?

EA sent me a free copy after I cancelled my preorder last year, it's been sitting at my moms house for close to a year in the mailing box, today, I open it. :D

If any Halo GAFers get a BF3 beta could and don't have any use for it, could you please send it my way :)? I'll set up a stream for it.

Halo related, is anyone up for some early morning customs or MM?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
A27_StarWolf said:
Who is that?

Was anyone dumb enough to buy medal of honor to get into the BF3 beta?

I was, and I hardly see it dumb. I quite enjoyed the MoH single player, although it had no plot and was just a bunch of fun missions smashed together.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Letters said:
Sotaro Tojima now, what a fucking catch!! :O

Who was on our team in random customs last night that didn't stop yelling, "Frankie, step it up, get some kills!?" And generally took customs with friends waaaaaaay too seriously and kind of ruined the session?

Ramirez

OuterWorldVoice said:
Who was on our team in random customs last night that didn't stop yelling, "Frankie, step it up, get some kills!?" And generally took customs with friends waaaaaaay too seriously and kind of ruined the session?

lol, epic.

Awesome Barlow said:
It is an awesome game, still have lot I have yet to play multiplayer wise. Plus I don't trade in games.

Yeah, I don't either.

Devin Olsen said:
If any Halo GAFers get a BF3 beta could and don't have any use for it, could you please send it my way :)? I'll set up a stream for it.

Halo related, is anyone up for some early morning customs or MM?

Isn't the open beta in 2 days?

So after playing Gears 3 and enjoying the co-op campaign, is it worth getting into Reach? I assume it has a fairly active community still. I've really looking for a multiplayer game so I don't have to buy MW3 or BF3 to scratch that multiplayer itch.

Ramirez

canadian crowe said:
So after playing Gears 3 and enjoying the co-op campaign, is it worth getting into Reach? I assume it has a fairly active community still. I've really looking for a multiplayer game so I don't have to buy MW3 or BF3 to scratch that multiplayer itch.

Wait for CEA, won't have the Reach maps, but really, you're not missing anything.

senador

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:

Prolly Booshka. ;)

I have fun in customs but they are a bit too intense and serious for me I think. It doesn't help that everyone is much better than me.

Ramirez said:
Wait for CEA, won't have the Reach maps, but really, you're not missing anything.

Thanks. I have to say though, I wasn't a huge fan of CE's campaign. I actually liked Reach the most (never played the multi in competitive or campaign)

Stinkles

senador said:
Prolly Booshka. ;)

I have fun in customs but they are a bit too intense and serious for me I think. It doesn't help that everyone is much better than me.

Nah, Booshka knows I suck iredeemably. It was annoying because it was customs and whoever it was was acting like I was hitting his rank. One game I got two kills and finished last, I get it, be mad. But another, I got ten kills and finished middle and he was still all, "BK u suxorz"

senador

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Nah, Booshka knows I suck iredeemably. It was annoying because it was customs and whoever it was was acting like I was hitting his rank. One game I got two kills and finished last, I get it, be mad. But another, I got ten kills and finished middle and he was still all, "BK u suxorz"

Ha! I never experienced that, but I don't think Booshka likes it very much when I bring the suck. No offense and sorry Booshka. ;)

I did get EazyB to laugh when I killed myself with rocks. lolz

Ramirez

canadian crowe said:
Thanks. I have to say though, I wasn't a huge fan of CE's campaign. I actually liked Reach the most (never played the multi in competitive or campaign)

I wasn't really talking about the campaign (although CE takes a huge dump on every other Halo campaign), but the MP maps in CEA will be 100000000x better than anything currently on the Reach disc.

GhaleonEB

OuterWorldVoice said:
This is why I no longer play GAF customs. :\

Stinkles

GhaleonEB said:
This is why I no longer play GAF customs. :\

It was just one guy. Everyone else was supa-cool. And he wasnt "trying" to be a dick, he was off his ritalin and getting stressed out about a supposed method of relaxation. I could hear him itching for some chocolate milk.

ElRenoRaven

OuterWorldVoice said:

Sad to hear about that Frankie. Some do take customs way way too seriously sadly. Not all of us do. I know I'm usually playing just to have fun which sadly means the team I'm on is so going to lose. lol

Top Bottom