• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Hypertrooper said:
We are approaching the end of the September. The Sparkast must be near. I can smell it. I hope I can smell it. :(

Halo Sparkast #007 - "Frank and David discuss the various smells of Halo: Anniversary." 53:00

Zeouterlimits said:
I'd like a good sparkcast. Get some Saber folk on.
Feel like they've been wait to quiet.
The last few Sparkast were amazing. Otherwise I would really love to see 4hours Sparkast with Saber Int., Certain Affinity, Kevin Grace + the other guys who worked on the Terminals etc. after CEA. Or a big blog entry about the development. Especially the graphical layer is something I'm really interested into.

But I need the HaloFest Sparkast now...

ZalinKrow

I've played in customs a few times, but I don't usually stick around for way too long. Unfortunately it can be pretty serious, occasionally anyway. Sometimes I almost feel like there's a strange pressure going into customs, as if I need to prove I'm not some BK or something heh.

I don't care how bad a match for my team goes once my teammates are still in good spirits about playing. I really can't stand when people start criticising other peoples play though. When someone starts making me feel like I'm not "pulling my weight" (in customs of all places) I just play until the game ends and then back out immediatly after.

I think it's okay to want your teammates to try, but it's not like the people in customs have no idea how to play the game heh. If you must criticise then please make it constructive. Or at least say it in a friendly manner :p Adding remarks like "it's not that hard" after you've said what you have to, is very annoying.

I haven't made a post in quite some time, so here's my two cents :)

I'd also very much welcome that Sparkast. Sick at home and having something good to listen to and chill out with would be very cool indeed.

I think theres certainly a place for competitive customs, and I wouldnt enjoy Halo as much if I didnt have competitive friends to play competitivly with.

But even in those I don't hear people belittling eachother. Its a game and even if you have a poor round you should be enjoying it otherwise whats the point. GAF customs are especially made up of players from across the spectrum so meh who cares about game performance.

Booshka

Man, Korpah got blasted. I actually got his sense of humor and could tell he wasn't serious. Of course he was trying, as was I, I almost always tryhard when I play, and I actually played well with him, communication and teamwork wise. I understand people don't want to be ridiculed though, no matter how benign it is supposed to be. Most of the customs have players of varying skill levels, so we should just be happy to play together and make the teams as balanced as possible.

I know I can get a little aggressive and bitch at times, but it is all in-game competitiveness, none of it is personal, it is just my desire to win. I'll make sure to tone it down a bit from here on out. I also like to "tryhard" in customs because they are on game settings I find fun and fair (usually). I guess most people don't really take them seriously, but I have always taken arranged games a little more seriously, they usually are more fun for me that way.

Booshka said:
I know I can get a little aggressive and bitch at times, but it is all in-game competitiveness, none of it is personal, it is just my desire to win. I'll make sure to tone it down a bit from here on out. I also like to "tryhard" in customs because they are on game settings I find fun and fair (usually). I guess most people don't really take them seriously, but I have always taken arranged games a little more seriously, they usually are more fun for me that way.

You and me can just do it at each other since we already do.

daedalius

Are there any spots open on the original Reach Gaf GT?

I am on the Reach Gaf 2, but I don't know if the Halogaf community spans 2 tags anymore.

FyreWulff

ncsuDuncan said:
I guess I'll go ahead and list the other files I have.

Texts/alerts:

Power Rangers Comm. beep (voicemail alert)
Wilhelm scream (phone error)
Star Trek TOS Comm. chirp (Twitter alert, everyone thinks it's a dolphin.)

Ringtones:
(I have a different one for each friend/family member depending on our shared tastes)

Metal Gear Solid Codec ring
The Office theme
Arrested Development theme
Always Sunny theme
Futurama theme
Cat Party (from Frisky Dingo)
Axel F (Beverly Hills Cop theme)
Castle Crashers - Menu theme
Castle Crashers - End Credits theme
Star Wars - TIE Fighter Attack

If you guys want one let me know and I'll try uploading them somewhere when I get home tonight. I'll definitely put up the Halo 2 message alert though.

Halo 2 Live Message:

http://www.fyrewulff.com/fdc/files/halo2_livemessage.mp3

zip with it preconverted to ogg and wav for those with phones that only accept those formats:

http://www.fyrewulff.com/fdc/files/halo2_livemessage.zip

Tawpgun

A27_StarWolf said:
take a look at this great article about gears 3, SPOILER WARNING BTW.

Its a nice look at the game that isnt omg so good 9.00000

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1196829p1.html

WhatthefuckamIreading.jpg

What's this guy trying to say? It's like he takes Gears and analyzes it so deeply and seriously... Not to mention the part where he talks about Gears 3 MP makes it painfully obvious he's playing it the wrong/inefficient way and doesn't like the things about Gears that you need to appreciate and like for you yourself to like the game. If that makes sense.

Gears is a VERY interesting and original universe that the games do a terrible job at exploring fully (Halo suffers from the same problem) Gears 3 concludes very nicely in terms of the war is over.... but so many things are left unanswered or really vague. I'm not sure if the books explain them either.

And here's where the gears spoilers come in.

He rags on about how Dom's death scene didn't work out well because the game and its characters are ridiculous and over the top that its weird seeing very serious emotions out of them.

And so I'll say this in response, something I already said before regarding Gears 3 Campaign and the Halo campaigns.

VAGUE (sort of safe) SPOILERS ABOUT GEARS 3

All the deaths in Gears 3 had a MUUUUUUCH bigger emotional impact than ANY deaths in the Halo series. It's funny how Gears, a game with such so-bad-its-good writing can deliver a better emotional response than the relatively well-written characters of Halo.

The ending of Gears 3 actually made me misty eyed. A game with a simple plot and story and VERY dude-bro characters with B-Movie writing....

On the Gears-Halo note, plz look at Horde 2.0 when modeling Firefight 3.0. I don't want a carbon copy but they have very cool elements along with an intense feeling of desperation and survival that I believe comes from the cover based nature of the game.

One or two of Letters's shirts may or may not be heading to Ireland.

MnJiL.png

FyreWulff

ncsuDuncan said:
Neat feature idea:

Customs Lobby Party Leader - Hold RB to Sort Teams
(Holds RB)
Number of teams: 2/3/4
(2)
Sort by: Trueskill/Random
(Trueskill)
Allow Team changing: On/Off
(On)

Thanks, now I don't have to do it! :p

Team Changing is already part of the Game Options, although a quick access would be nice. Trueskill is per-playlist and doesn't exist in custom lobbies. So you'd have people boosting customs trueskill like the idiots that started and stopped custom lobbies 10,000 times thinking that it locked host to them in matchmaking.

Quick Teams though would be REALLY good.

A27 Tawpgun said:
WhatthefuckamIreading.jpg

What's this guy trying to say? It's like he takes Gears and analyzes it so deeply and seriously... Not to mention the part where he talks about Gears 3 MP makes it painfully obvious he's playing it the wrong/inefficient way and doesn't like the things about Gears that you need to appreciate and like for you yourself to like the game. If that makes sense.

Gears is a VERY interesting and original universe that the games do a terrible job at exploring fully (Halo suffers from the same problem) Gears 3 concludes very nicely in terms of the war is over.... but so many things are left unanswered or really vague. I'm not sure if the books explain them either.

And here's where the gears spoilers come in.

He rags on about how Dom's death scene didn't work out well because the game and its characters are ridiculous and over the top that its weird seeing very serious emotions out of them.

And so I'll say this in response, something I already said before regarding Gears 3 Campaign and the Halo campaigns.

VAGUE (sort of safe) SPOILERS ABOUT GEARS 3

All the deaths in Gears 3 had a MUUUUUUCH bigger emotional impact than ANY deaths in the Halo series. It's funny how Gears, a game with such so-bad-its-good writing can deliver a better emotional response than the relatively well-written characters of Halo.

The ending of Gears 3 actually made me misty eyed. A game with a simple plot and story and VERY dude-bro characters with B-Movie writing....

On the Gears-Halo note, plz look at Horde 2.0 when modeling Firefight 3.0. I don't want a carbon copy but they have very cool elements along with an intense feeling of desperation and survival that I believe comes from the cover based nature of the game.

I think he brings up some valid points,

If games are to be considered more seriously as an art form, something that I hope really happens in the future, you can't just say things like "he is playing it wrong". It's a game, he has the option to play it however he may decide to.

FyreWulff said:
Team Changing is already part of the Game Options, although a quick access would be nice. Trueskill is per-playlist and doesn't exist in custom lobbies. So you'd have people boosting customs trueskill like the idiots that started and stopped custom lobbies 10,000 times thinking that it locked host to them in matchmaking.

Boosting customs trueskill. Now I've heard it all.

FyreWulff

Devolution said:
Boosting customs trueskill. Now I've heard it all.

We're talking about a populace that had certain people constantly quit so they could be a level 50 Recruit in Halo 3.

If it's possible, dumbasses will do it. Don't know why, but they will.

FyreWulff said:

A custom games trueskill would indeed be a bad idea. Not suggesting that.

I assume there would be a way to come up with an overall trueskill number. Maybe take the formula used for individual playlist trueskill and just make it span all of your games in matchmaking. I don't think you could just average your playlist trueskills, that would be thrown off by people that don't play all of the playlists.

Maybe the system could automatically select the trueskill to use based on party/team size.
2v2? Double Team trueskill
3v3 - 5v5? Team Slayer or Team Objective trueskill (depending on gametype)
6v6 - 8v8? Big Team Battle trueskill
2v2v2 - 4v4v4v4? Multi Team trueskill

It obviously wouldn't be perfect, not everyone plays Double Team or Multi Team, but most of the time you're going to be playing 4v4 or 8v8 anyways and people should have a fairly representative trueskill in those playlists. Besides, putting team composition in the hands of the game would reduce the customs lobby drama/annoyances a little.

FyreWulff

ncsuDuncan said:

I assume there would be a way to come up with an overall trueskill number. Maybe take the formula used for individual playlist trueskill and just make it span all of your games in matchmaking. I don't think you could just average your playlist trueskills, that would be thrown off by people that don't play all of the playlists.

Maybe the system could automatically select the trueskill to use based on party/team size.

It obviously wouldn't be perfect, not everyone plays Double Team or Multi Team, but most of the time you're going to be playing 4v4 or 8v8 anyways and people should have a fairly representative trueskill in those playlists. Besides, putting team composition in the hands of the game would reduce the customs lobby drama/annoyances a little.

Too boostable in that setup, and requires/forces people to play playlists they don't like. I'm trying to think of a game that has a single universal Trueskill rank for the entire game and I can't recall any.

The military ranks are supposed to give you a starting indicator of overall player longevity, which should give you a good starting base for organizing customs, but in customs you just kinda have to go through that first lopsided game then re-arrange the teams. Maybe an option to have the game auto-balance the next round based off the match criteria, or some sort of qualifying FFA round.

If you run with the game group though, you eventually figure out when having certain people on the same team will make it a lopsided game. Over at PA we had a New Members Night where we paired off in "Played Halo 2 a bunch / Played like 2 games" 2 man teams and it was fairly fun. The lack of clan lists has made that harder to do in 3 and Reach.

ncsuDuncan said:

It should be something used after a custom that's rather one sided. It collates the data and then makes a switch that is closest to evenly balanced. Most of the time though we can balance them okay and the more people play, you can figure out what maps are their strongest/weakest, who they seem to play better with, etc.

If you play an FFA first, the game does arrange the players into teams I've noticed. But some people are better at being a lone wolf than a team player.

Fyre, it wouldn't hurt playing with a constant group of people. This boosting nonsense, if people do it, they're only hurting their own competition in customs.

Ramirez

A27_StarWolf said:

If games are to be considered more seriously as an art form, something that I hope really happens in the future, you can't just say things like "he is playing it wrong". It's a game, he has the option to play it however he may decide to.

lol, who cares, really?

And the videogame oscar goes to...DOMINIC SANTIAGO!

Falagard said:
There's a general rule I try to follow when playing games with friends, and even in real life: don't be a dick. It usually works out well for me.
You would think that type of rule would be a no-brainer for everyone, but alas...

Ramirez said:
lol, who cares, really?

And the videogame oscar goes to...DOMINIC SANTIAGO!

Exactly! Games will never be an art form.

Games are just something you play to pass the time.
Movies are nothing more than flashing pictures with sound and will never elicit the emotional response that art does.
Books are just something you burn to stay warm.

Unrelated, but I always get a laugh out of these aviation quotes:

"Another popular fallacy is to suppose that flying machines could be used to drop dynamite on an enemy in time of war."
— William H. Pickering, Aeronautics, 1908.

"To affirm that the aeroplane is going to 'revolutionize' navel warfare of the future is to be guilty of the wildest exaggeration."
— Scientific American, 16 July 1910.

"Aviation is fine as a sport. But as an instrument of war, it is worthless."
— General Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superiure de Guere, 1911.

TheOddOne

ncsuDuncan said:

Movies are nothing more than flashing pictures with sound and will never elicit the emotional response that art does.

"Another popular fallacy is to suppose that flying machines could be used to drop dynamite on an enemy in time of war."

"To affirm that the aeroplane is going to 'revolutionize' navel warfare of the future is to be guilty of the wildest exaggeration."

— General Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superiure de Guere, 1911.
tumblr_lm0colZmNR1qdlkgg.gif

Ramirez

ncsuDuncan said:

I guess you're being sarcastic?

Still don't care.

Why do you guys care so much? Is it really that big of a deal if outside people to the hobby consider it a legit art form?

A27_StarWolf said:

edit: massive gears spoilers
To be fair, he completely misunderstands
Dom's death. It's not about killing a couple Locust, it's about saving his best friends

ncsuDuncan said:

Or, my personal favorite:

"If black boxes survive air crashes, why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?"
— George Carlin

Ramirez said:
I guess you're being sarcastic?

Still don't care.

Why do you guys care so much? Is it really that big of a deal if outside people to the hobby consider it a legit art form?

I consider it insulting to the people who put as much hard work into it as they do, to label games as some pithy past time. The work that goes into them, especially the music and visuals make it just as much of an art form as a movie. Eventually games will be viewed with the proper artistic lens. For a long time painting was considered the only true art form. So take from that what you will.

Ramirez

Devolution said:
I consider it insulting to the people who put as much hard work into it as they do, to label games as some pithy past time. The work that goes into them, especially the music and visuals make it just as much of an art form as a movie. Eventually games will be viewed with the proper artistic lens. For a long time painting was considered the only true art form. So take from that what you will.

I'm not knocking the people's work AT ALL. I'm just saying, I do not care if Roger Ebert or whoever considers my hobby an art form.

ncsuDuncan said:

Crap. I guess I felt in brove(bro+love mix) with you. Bromance is starting here, right now. I'm sorry Xand and Hitmonchan.

Can we agree that Duncan is awesome and funny?

Ramirez said:
I'm not knocking the people's work AT ALL. I'm just saying, I do not care if Roger Ebert or whoever considers my hobby an art form.

I know you're not, but acceptance by more people leads to a higher reverence for the craft.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hitmonchan107 said:
Or, my personal favorite:

"If black boxes survive air crashes, why don't they make the whole plane out of that stuff?"
— George Carlin
<3 George Carlin

Ramirez

Hypertrooper said:
Crap. I guess I felt in brove(bro+love mix) with you. Bromance is starting here, right now. I'm sorry Xand and Hitmonchan.

Can we agree that Duncan is awesome and funny?

No, EazyB was funny. Our standards have delved deep into the abyss.

Devolution said:
I know you're not, but acceptance by more people leads to a higher reverence for the craft.

Kind of my point, what does this gain the average videogame player? Nothing really, unless they like to get into heated debates about movies/music/videogames/painting as an art form and which matters and which doesn't, heh.

Top Bottom