• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Damn. Did you see the dailies already? 8500cR for a daily. That's even more than the most of the weeklies Bungie did.

Oh God, 343i knows how to please a mad crowd. Now give me the new sparkast.

And Bungie I'm waiting for my Destiny.

bobs99 ... said:
I always got the impression that the sequels were never as highly regarded as the original? If Aliens is supposed to be better then im really looking forward to it. :p
Aliens is the best sci-fi action movie ever. Arguably Cameron's best work, too (suck it Avatar). But the following Alien movies are really, really bad. Don't waste your time.

Homeboyd

Hypertrooper said:
Damn. Did you see the dailies already? 8500cR for a daily. That's even more than the most of the weeklies Bungie did.

Oh God, 343i knows how to please a mad crowd. Now give me the new sparkast.

And Bungie I'm waiting for my Destiny.
Yes but that daily.. ehh.. it definitely makes it more worthwhile but I'm not a fan of those LD no death runs.. with 3294782390572 skulls on.

Might give it a shot though... we'll see. I definitely agree that 343 has given new life to the challenge system simply by tweaking these numbers.

Gabotron ES said:
lol at 0:56

That is great!

Homeboyd

Sorry

sp_1411_clip13.jpg

Louis Wu said:
Thank you so very much! Rampancy was one I had read before but the site name eluded me completely!

Also, cheers to Gabo for the vidoc ;)

Is there a way Reach 1.1 can System Link 1.0 currently or is that the fundamental problem it caused? Fyre?

FyreWulff

Hydranockz said:
Thank you so very much! Rampancy was one I had read before but the site name eluded me completely!

Also, cheers to Gabo for the vidoc ;)

Is there a way Reach 1.1 can System Link 1.0 currently or is that the fundamental problem it caused? Fyre?

If the patch alters the .maps in RAM as they are loaded (which it looks like they did, since you'd need to do that to change the client-side bloom and RoF) then it's impossible to LAN since the .maps will now have different signatures. Even if you were able to join the 1.1 lobby from 1.0 it'd look like you don't have the maps.

This also apparently relates to why the Preview Disc cannot ever be made to accept the Title Update, according to what a certain modding site has dug up about it.

That "you'd need to ship a 6GB TU" stuff I was saying and quoting? That's because I was assuming they'd maintain inter-version compatibility. You do that by including both the updated versions of data and the original versions of data if you change client-side stuff. When you break inter-version compat you don't have to worry about that anymore and can change whatever you want (limited only by time and money and software engineering) with a smaller patch and just tell the previous version to bug off.

The short version is: they changed certain things that would cause 1.0 to go out of sync with 1.1, even if they somehow kept the map signatures the same.

The downside is that it seems Bungie set it up as an all-or-nothing if a future Reach had to go the break route, so you can't even LAN Campaign/FF between versions even though the TU does not touch either of those modes.

Easiest way to knock Reach back to 1.0 though is to go to your hard drive in the 360 menu and Clear Cache if you run into a situation in LAN where a box has 1.0 and can't be updated. You'll lose the ability to use any 1.1 gametypes and watch any 1.1 films until you reconnect though.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Apparently the only thing holding them back for changing to bloomless for Orlando was the bloomless objective gametype.

FyreWulff

Hydranockz said:
Cheers. The look on the 8 lads at uni here eager to play System Link only to discover one 360 was running 1.0 while the other was on 1.1 as saddening :p

Also easy route: if they were just going to play multi, yank the HDDs/memcards/flash drives off both 360s. Instant 1.0! You can't upload offline films anyway.

Well, unless one of them is a later 360 with the included flash or the 4GB slim, then you still need to do the Cache Clear.

Hydranockz said:
Cheers. The look on the 8 lads at uni here eager to play System Link only to discover one 360 was running 1.0 while the other was on 1.1 as saddening :p

The short term slightly annoying solution might be to remove the TU from the xbox running the 1.1 version?

squidhands said:
Aliens is the best sci-fi action movie ever. Arguably Cameron's best work, too (suck it Avatar). But the following Alien movies are really, really bad. Don't waste your time.

Im now looking very forward to checking it out!

FyreWulff said:
Also easy route: if they were just going to play multi, yank the HDDs/memcards/flash drives off both 360s. Instant 1.0! You can't upload offline films anyway.

Well, unless one of them is a later 360 with the included flash or the 4GB slim, then you still need to do the Cache Clear.
What do you mean "you can't upload offline films anyway?"

Homeboyd

So, does anyone have an estimated CBA for the costs associated with building multiplayer maps? I was wondering if 343 ever held a Forge contest like Bungie did, with the grand prize winner getting CA (or someone) to turn their map into a studio-built real-life DLC map. I know it would essentially be building a brand new map from scratch, but it would be pretty cool to see something like that. Let the winner choose the "theme" of the map, the general design is kept, and let the studio run wild with aesthetics and small design changes necessary for MM implementation.

Yeah, I know it probably isn't possible or worth the time/money associated with it... that's why I'd like to see some sort of historical data on these kinds of costs.

FyreWulff

The Real Napsta said:
What do you mean "you can't upload offline films anyway?"

If you are not connected to Live during a game you cannot upload the film. turns out you can, see next post

You also cannot upload screenshots taken while disconnected from Live.

daedalius

Gabotron ES said:
Hemmorhage is the worst BTB map ever, there's no player movement in there and it promotes sniper whoring heavily.

Yea, pretty much have hated Hemorrhage since the nostalgia wore off after the first 5 games or so. Giant maps with no cover and massive sight-lines for sniper whoring... ugh. Everyone always picks it though when it comes up.

daedalius said:
Yea, pretty much have hated Hemorrhage since the nostalgia wore off after the first 5 games or so. Giant maps with no cover and massive sight-lines for sniper whoring... ugh. Everyone always picks it though when it comes up.
Same, can't stand it, i made a variant with a forerunner style building in the middle and although it was very basic, breaking the cross map sight lines changed the map drastically and for the better IMO.

FyreWulff

The Real Napsta said:
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23289116&player=The Real Napsta

That film is from a LAN party. We were not connected to live, it's in my file share.

Weird, whenever I tried to upload one it said NOPE, CREATED WHILE OFFLINE, GTFO. Let me see if I still have the file and grab a screenshot of the error.

Then again, I was somehow able to upload Assault once without it getting filter blocked.

edit: upon a double check, offline films can be uploaded now. Offline screenshots still a no-go. "This file was created while offline and cannot be uploaded".

Deputy Moonman said:
The second movie is pretty popular. It's been touted as one of very few sequels better than its original. But don't get your expectations up or you might think it's lame, lol.

Just watch the first two movies from your couch. It's the only way to be sure.

Striker

Gabotron ES said:
Hemmorhage is the worst BTB map ever, there's no player movement in there and it promotes sniper whoring heavily.
It's the best BTB map in the playlist right now, not necessarily counting Highlands because it never shows up. It is not a great remake for Forge, because Bungie didn't replicate the teleporter positions very well, rock coverage in blue teleporter, and so forth. Plus the bases are using Blood Gulch, which is a terrible setup for 8v8. We've discussed this thoroughly before - Coag was so far above Bloog Gulch in much of everything. Powerup spots, teleporter positions, base design, vehicle activity, etc.

The DMR being 3x zoom and destroying vehicles with ease helps no one.

Striker said:
It's the best BTB map in the playlist right now, not necessarily counting Highlands because it never shows up. It is not a great remake for Forge, because Bungie didn't replicate the teleporter positions very well, rock coverage in blue teleporter, and so forth. Plus the bases are using Blood Gulch, which is a terrible setup for 8v8. We've discussed this thoroughly before - Coag was so far above Bloog Gulch in much of everything. Powerup spots, teleporter positions, base design, vehicle activity, etc.

The DMR being 3x zoom and destroying vehicles with ease helps no one.
No way, what about Wayont and Trident, those are far better imo.
I know Coag is superior but it wouldn't work with Hemmorhage built-in geometry, you could be able to snipe enemies from base to base, from where you can pretty much see the whole map = sniper whoring x1000!

I would do this to Hemmorhage and BTB in general:
-Apply both armor lock and invis fixes to the playlist.
-Make it 85% bloom and increase player speed to 110%
-Decrease Hemmorhage weighting, increase sniper spawn time to 4 minutes and remove 1 Flag CTF on that map.
-Remove Paradiso and Utopie.
-Remove BTB snipers.
-Tweak both Spire,Boneyard and Boardwalk object placement.
-Make it all DLC required so we get to play no grey maps like Tempest, Headlong, Timberland, Breakpoint and Highlands, even Condemned would work.
-Remove evade.
-Add some good maps like Hivemind and Delta Facility.

Blinding

Tashi0106 said:
Apparently the only thing holding them back for changing to bloomless for Orlando was the bloomless objective gametype.

Yup, though apparently no one from MLG has contacted 343 to get the bloomless objective gametypes. The only thing about switching is that if you don't do it for Orlando, then they shouldn't do it for Nationals.

ElRenoRaven

FyreWulff said:
If the patch alters the .maps in RAM as they are loaded (which it looks like they did, since you'd need to do that to change the client-side bloom and RoF) then it's impossible to LAN since the .maps will now have different signatures. Even if you were able to join the 1.1 lobby from 1.0 it'd look like you don't have the maps.

This also apparently relates to why the Preview Disc cannot ever be made to accept the Title Update, according to what a certain modding site has dug up about it.

That "you'd need to ship a 6GB TU" stuff I was saying and quoting? That's because I was assuming they'd maintain inter-version compatibility. You do that by including both the updated versions of data and the original versions of data if you change client-side stuff. When you break inter-version compat you don't have to worry about that anymore and can change whatever you want (limited only by time and money and software engineering) with a smaller patch and just tell the previous version to bug off.

The short version is: they changed certain things that would cause 1.0 to go out of sync with 1.1, even if they somehow kept the map signatures the same.

The downside is that it seems Bungie set it up as an all-or-nothing if a future Reach had to go the break route, so you can't even LAN Campaign/FF between versions even though the TU does not touch either of those modes.

Easiest way to knock Reach back to 1.0 though is to go to your hard drive in the 360 menu and Clear Cache if you run into a situation in LAN where a box has 1.0 and can't be updated. You'll lose the ability to use any 1.1 gametypes and watch any 1.1 films until you reconnect though.

Interesting. If you can PM me a link to said site. I'd love to read what they dug up. It sounds interesting.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
FyreWulff said:

Actually, as I understand it, that has nothing to do with why the Preview Disc won't get a Title Update.

What have I told you about trusting strange modders?

senador

Banned
FyreWulff said:

Oh Fyrewulff. Your 6GB thing is still super silly and one that I am sure was never even an option, that's just too big for a mere update. I'm sure there are several options they could have explored had they the time. One I can can think of is to set a version in a settings or cache file somewhere, then adding code to check each box's version in a party or those trying to join together (this assumes its not there already). If not all the boxes have the latest version, then it sets them all to the previous version. Then wrap the code that loads the new stuff in to RAM in a conditional that only applies if the "version" is the latest version. Seems like that may be a decent fix that doesn't require giant amounts of work (as far as I know).

Anyway, I think the LAN stuff is silly. I definitely think LAN should be a feature Halo always has, but holding changes back based on "breaking LAN" is silly to me. Nearly everyone has internet these days. A little planning will make sure everyone is on the same version. Surely those without the update could go over to a friends or neighbors to get it or arrange to have another box there.

I did a LAN over the weekend and 2 boxes had 1.1 and the others did not. I had warned my friends beforehand, but they didn't update. We just passed a wireless adapter around and the other 2 downloaded the update. Within 5 minutes we were up and rolling. Had that not worked we would have just deleted our cache and downloaded the update again later. Its not like it takes long to download. The only bad part I see is that it doesn't tell you anything. We could see all parties in the lobby but it didn't give us the option to join each other. It took me a few minutes before I realized it was the version differences. So yeah, you can see everyone but it grays out the join option.

thezerofire said:
We were talking about an article that was all about Gears spoilers, I assumed it was known. Sorry though.

I was catching up on my phone and forgot I had read the few other posts before it already and highlighted it out of context. I also didn't expect a Gears spoiler in the Halo thread. Oh well though, it doesn't change that much for me and I still plan to get the game.

Gabotron ES said:
-Make it all DLC required so we get to play no grey maps like Tempest, Headlong, Timberland, Breakpoint and Highlands, even Condemned would work.

Yessss... Hell, just give away noble map pack for free, I don't care, but I bought both map packs the day they came out and I've only been able to play them in the map pack playlists... I want a f*cking full rotation... it's been a year since the game came out... Or just improve matchmaking to match me with players which also have the new maps.

Hmmm, tin-foil hat time:

Fyrewulff has said before that Microsoft will never let any DLC that gives you achievements go free. I believe him, since he has always been 100% right with his assumptions.

I've heard rumors that ever since the TU released, people have been able to get the Noble and Defiant achievements without buying the DLC. Was this a glitch or was it intentional?

Does it improve the odds of Noble or Defiant eventually becoming free?

Honestly, who's going to buy those once the CEA maps are out? It would make playlist setup a little easier.

You may now remove your tin-foil hat. Keep a grain of salt handy though.

Tha Robbertster said:
Saw this analysis of the gravemind and the prisonor on Bnet and Greg Bear's response on it. thought it was interesting with the recent article on FoD.

http://www.gregbear.com/blog/display.cfm?id=5928

What Greg responded:

As much I like Cryptum by itself, I really don't like what it does with the Halo canon, especially the "humans were a galactic empire de-evolved by the Forerunners" angle.

I think I would have enjoyed it much more if it was a completely original story.

Havok

Gabotron ES said:
No way, what about Wayont and Trident, those are far better imo.
Both of those maps are garbage. Sniping base-to-base is not only possible on them, but is ridiculously easy. The whole bowl-with-two-bases design of both of them flat out does not work with Reach. At least Hemo has some good vehicle action and safe infantry routes that helps make up for its glaring flaws.

eeblogue

Neo Member
Tashi0106 said:
Thank god they're not doing it for Orlando. I would be sooooo fuckin pissed.
They haven’t confirmed it…yet. But it wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t implement zero bloom gametypes for Orlando or for the rest of the season for that matter, especially when it’s just came out that MLG hasn't even asked 343i for any objective settings to test.

Seriously, I don’t have a clue why MLG still have Killa KC on their pay-role. The guy has been “testing” GoW all week, a game that isn’t getting played on their circuit till like next March. His number one priority should be saving Reach by getting the most competitive zero bloom settings out as fast as possible so teams can practice them for their next event.

Let it be known if MLG decide not to implement any of the new settings, Orlando will just be another event in a season where I, like so many others, refuse to tune in and hand over my money to watch.

I thought some of you guys would be interested in this.

Weapon%252520Damage%252520Chart.jpg

Here’s the thread it was taken from: The Halo:Reach Post Patch Damage/Weapon Thread

bobs99 ... said:
I always got the impression that the sequels were never as highly regarded as the original? If Aliens is supposed to be better then im really looking forward to it. :p
My love for Aliens when I was younger fueled my first impressions of the Halo CE campaign when I first picked it up. There are many well known references to the film in the game. Art designs, characters, dialogue as well.

Link for the heck of it. Might have Aliens spoilerzzzzzz.

Thagomizer said:
As much I like Cryptum by itself, I really don't like what it does with the Halo canon, especially the "humans were a galactic empire de-evolved by the Forerunners" angle.

I think I would have enjoyed it much more if it was a completely original story.

I'm at a complete opppsite of you. I absolutely loved the idea of species being de-evolved, wether it was by the hands of the forerunners or by their own hands like the brutes.

GhaleonEB

A27 Tawpgun said:
Amazing read, but I would make sure people know its a HUUUUGE cryptum spoiler.
I'm still just 30 pages into Cryptum. I do about five pages at a time. Very hard book to get into, hoping it eases up soon.

Homeboyd

Looking forward to the Bulletin tonight.. Prisoner details :)

Reeeeeally wish I could see a fly-through of Timberland. The pics are lovely... but flythroughs are the tits.

Also, perhaps Beta playlist details?

GhaleonEB said:
I'm still just 30 pages into Cryptum. I do about five pages at a time. Very hard book to get into, hoping it eases up soon.
That's interesting. I couldn't put it down. I had to force myself to only read a few chapters at a time.

Top Bottom