• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Havok

Letters said:
Sucks that they're just removing Team Classic instead of reforming it by introducing the ZB DMR gameplay similar to what we've been testing and making use of all the non-Forgeworld maps. In November they'll be all about pimping the 3sk magnum as the new and only classic gameplay on the new map and I don't see how that'll be satisfying as the only thing I touch. I want DMR start Classic gameplay with (relatively) long kill times making use of all the maps I own. :(
It's likely not a worthwhile investment for a playlist that would only exist for a month anyway. I think the GAF Classic stuff is pretty good, but given how people have rejected the Classic format in the past (200 people online these days), it's understandable.

feel

People have rejected an awful attempt at Classic gameplay on 100% forge world maps, not proper Classic. The gameplay we've been rocking since the beginning of Halo on xbox live shouldn't die.

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
People have rejected an awful attempt at Classic gameplay on 100% forge world maps, not Classic.

Some of the maps are damn good remakes. The problem is they added in some awful forged maps and then took and threw in some objective gameplay and after that the population plummeted.

PNut

Banned
Still no Racing playlist or a real Action Sack playlist like in Halo 3? Which still has a higher population than some of the playlists in Reach. Disappointed for sure. Forever alone in Customs with the same bunch.

Also, no mention of Jetpack being removed from Arena. lol.

Havok

PsychoRaven said:
Some of the maps are damn good remakes. The problem is they added in some awful forged maps and then took and threw in some objective gameplay and after that the population plummeted.
Objective gameplay being added was the thing that made me interested in it in the first place, which goes to show you how different my opinions are from that of the general population. It played well enough, a decent palate cleanser when Evade started getting out of hand in TO. I never thought it played much like older Halos, but it was all right. Noble Creek, Hydra, and High Noon are okay, and while Prophet isn't a great remake of Middy, it plays decently. For some ridiculous reason, Reflection and Hemo aren't in there. How silly.

Edit: that's what I get for not looking at dates, but HaloGAF was gushing over the exact same settings in customs just six months ago, and now they're "an awful attempt." Fickle mistress, etc etc.

Ramirez

Classic sucks because of the 120% movement speed and the scale of most of the remade maps in the playlist. It literally feels like you're playing a Mario ice level, add in bloom, and yea, terrible experience.

wwm0nkey

Ramirez said:
Classic sucks because of the 120% movement speed and the scale of most of the remade maps in the playlist. It literally feels like you're playing a Mario ice level, add in bloom, and yea, terrible experience.
120% does not feel like ice skating

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It'd be nice if you could edit Player traits in real time(atleast in Forge) rather than fidgeting with the settings in the lobby.

Ramirez

wwm0nkey said:
120% does not feel like ice skating

It does on poorly made forge maps that are no where near the right scale of the original. I haven't played it on regular maps, but really, if 120 was so good, why wouldn't MLG use it and nix sprint? It feels sloppy, IMO.

Barrow Roll said:
Shush, you don't even play this game anymore.

WHY.

He finally saw the light of freedom.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Ramirez said:
He finally saw the light of freedom.
lawdfqmh.gif

Barrow Roll said:
Shush, you don't even play this game anymore.

WHY.
No need to constantly confirm what I already knew.

Ramirez said:
It does on poorly made forge maps that are no where near the right scale of the original. I haven't played it on regular maps, but really, if 120 was so good, why wouldn't MLG use it and nix sprint? It feels sloppy, IMO.

MLG has keep sprint because they believe it enhances the "spectator experience". Both the pros and their community voted against sprint for MLG gametypes.

I feel like 120 feels pretty good. Certainly more fun to use than AA's for me.

Hey Hitmonchan - any chance you'll be organising another tournament anytime soon? Perhaps with the zero bloom settings...?

I really enjoyed participating in the last one. :)

I like what 343 did to both premium playlists, Reach has too many playlists right now. but it's still not the best solution to Reach's crappy DLC implementation. Atom is gone!

Next step: kill The Cage, Uncaged, Paradiso, Utopie and Cliffhanger.

Sikamikanico said:
Hey Hitmonchan - any chance you'll be organising another tournament anytime soon? Perhaps with the zero bloom settings...?

I really enjoyed participating in the last one. :)
It's funny you should mention that. I was thinking about the last community tournament a few hours ago.

If the interest is there, I would love to organize another. :^)

Hitmonchan107 said:
It's funny you should mention that. I was thinking about the last community tournament a few hours ago.

The interest is there.

Striker

PsychoRaven said:
I found it much more enjoyable once they added flag and assault. Although, they kind of gimped Assault in Noble Creek because of the teleporter soft kill zone placements, which reset the bomb.

Also, a handful of the maps are fairly good, notably the Midship, Beaver Creek, and Damnation ones. The Lockout one is terrible, will say more on that below, and there's better Hang 'em High and Elongation maps out there.

Plus, why wasn't an Ascension and Sanctuary variant included? Not Bungie's forged alternative, but in the form of better jumps, necessary block or rock changes, and also weapon placements. There are some out there.

Ramirez said:
I don't think 120% is too bad overall, at least on the necessary maps. But for Lockout, or Eclipse, it is terrible. I've fallen off because of the slippery pathways. It wasn't so bad anywhere else, though.

Hitmonchan107 said:

If we both are in the same team, of course. Why are you still awake? Look at the time. Oh I see it's 7:33am at the east coast, right? (I would sponsor some prizes. :))

Prisoner looks amazing. You definitely have to see what is happening at the skybox. It's amazing. And the playlist changes? Premium Battle CAN be amazing, if the slayer variants are the SS ones.

Hitmonchan107 said:
Boo! I applaud the unfriggenbelievable. Those don't happen every day. But Reach has already proven that grouped players have a huge advantage over randoms. And the team objective playlist is pretty weak sauce. So beating up on a bunch of randoms in the TO playlist is not entirely impressive. And then dragging the game out for the remaining 2 and 1/2 minutes was just shameful. I know there are no rules against objective holding, but it's poor taste. I side with Stephen and Hirednoobs.
SURPRISE!!
Simply finishing the game would have made it an impressive and respectable win, but instead it became a cheap and tainted victory. That's my view. I know it's not shared by many people on gaf, lol.

Deputy Moonman said:
Boo! I applaud the unfriggenbelievable. Those don't happen every day. But Reach has already proven that grouped players have a huge advantage over randoms. And the team objective playlist is pretty weak sauce. So beating up on a bunch of randoms in the TO playlist is not entirely impressive. And then dragging the game out for the remaining 2 and 1/2 minutes was just shameful. I know there are no rules against objective holding, but it's poor taste. I side with Stephen and Hirednoobs.
SURPRISE!!
Simply finishing the game would have made it an impressive and respectable win, but instead it became a cheap and tainted victory. That's my view. I know it's not shared by many people on gaf, lol.
Hah! I hold many unpopular opinions. (For instance, I love Uncaged, jetpacks and ARs.)

Hypertrooper said:
If we both are in the same team, of course. Why are you still awake? Look at the time. Oh I see it's 7:33am at the east coast, right? (I would sponsor some prizes. :))

Prisoner looks amazing. You definitely have to see what is happening at the skybox. It's amazing. And the playlist changes? Premium Battle CAN be amazing, if the slayer variants are the SS ones.
There was a student government election, so I had to stay extra late at the office. I couldn't sleep, so I pulled an all-nighter.

That and I had the meanest indigestion. It must've been the order of Little Caeser's Crazy Bread I had earlier.

I regret to inform you guys that, despite my best efforts, Bob Leonard Forthan did not win student body president.

If you're not familiar with the most brilliant and innovative presidential candidate of this generation, here's a quick taste of Forthanian wisdom:

“America has more entertainment than any were on the planet, and I think it’s the presidents job to save the country by any means possible, and that means no gun control. For example, would as many people attend a N.B.A. basketball game if their were no gun control, just think of the twenty thousand people attending a basketball game with most people carrying a loaded gun, or all the colleges, high schools, and grade schools, and the many activities were the parents are carrying guns. Now my point is this would save the environment, most if not all school activities would be canceled, saving the planet from global warming. Furthermore the American public would travel by day and not by night, and the little old lady who lives by herself, in her house with the room temperature unbearably high, would fine some roommates, plus more people stay together for safety reasons, and saving the environment.”

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Steelyuhas said:
MLG has keep sprint because they believe it enhances the "spectator experience". Both the pros and their community voted against sprint for MLG gametypes.

I feel like 120 feels pretty good. Certainly more fun to use than AA's for me.
Is that really why? I don't believe that. V1 had no sprint and I thought v2 with sprint superior. I think a lot of players would agree.

FyreWulff

On one hand, it's objective holding.

On the other hand, it's being done to a team with a white supremacist on it.

So in this case only, I'll allow it.

Tashi0106 said:
Is that really why? I don't believe that. V1 had no sprint and I thought v2 with sprint superior. I think a lot of players would agree.

The majority of the pro's and the community voted against sprint. That's why there was such an uproar when MLG implemented sprint anyway and cited 'the spectator experience' as one of the reasons why.

Blinding

Tashi0106 said:

Eh, he's kinda half right, half wrong. The overall mechanics of vanilla Reach were too slow, and during v2 testing they figured that sprint made the gameplay faster and also added a new dynamic, even though a majority of the pros did not vote for sprint to be included (much like how a majority of pros are voting for no-bloom to be added in before Orlando.)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Blinding said:
Eh, he's kinda half right, half wrong. The overall mechanics of vanilla Reach were too slow, and during v2 testing they figured that sprint made the gameplay faster and also added a new dynamic, even though a majority of the pros did not vote for sprint to be included (much like how a majority of pros are voting for no-bloom to be added in before Orlando.)
Well the pros were wrong about sprint and now they're wrong about no bloom.

feel

Tashi0106 said:
Well the pros were wrong about sprint and now they're wrong about no bloom.
no they were wrong about their choice of haircut, not about those two things

Sprint is a horrible mechanic for a game like halo, almost as bad and limiting as armor lock. AL stops people constantly from getting shot, Sprint stops people constantly from shooting, constantly from moving fast, and always from strafing/backpedaling fast.

orznge

Banned
Letters said:
no they were wrong about their choice of haircut, not about those two things

Sprint is a horrible mechanic for a game like halo, almost as bad and limiting as armor lock. AL stops people constantly from getting shot, Sprint stops people constantly from shooting, constantly from moving fast, and always from strafing/backpedaling fast.

It makes dullards think there is something "fast" going on when in reality it just compounds the problems that have made the games more passive with each release.

Top Bottom