• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

thee henery said:
Playing BF3

Idon'tknowwhattheFUCKisgoingon.jpg

I miss the clarity from Halo already.

The drop in clarity after something like halo or even gears is so confusing, i played a few games earlier, didnt really enjoy them hoping i enjoy the full release more.

Homeboyd

thee henery said:
There's a secret formula Halo has always had... they're after it.

plankton.jpg

Dax01 said:
One of my problems with Battlefield: Bad Company. Had trouble figuring out where I was getting shot from.

This is also my main problem with the game thus far.

Also the graphics are...disappointing compared with the promo videos.

Dax01 said:
One of my problems with Battlefield: Bad Company. Had trouble figuring out where I was getting shot from.

Visually that is correct, but sound wise, man oh man, you can easily IMO deduce where you are being shot from just from the sound design.

Also Gui if you are reading i shall be on in a bit to maybe play some more bf3, hopefully the playing with friends actually starts to work soon.

I've had the Halo 4 desktop background for awhile now, and the missing comma in "Wake up John" is really starting to bug me.

Remember, folks, commas save lives:
1. "Let's eat Grandpa!"
2. "Let's eat, Grandpa!"

ElzarTheBam said:
Visually that is correct, but sound wise, man oh man, you can easily IMO deduce where you are being shot from just from the sound design.

Yeah, playing with a surround sound setup in BF3 is pretty eye-opening (ear-opening?). I feel like it's much more noticeable than Halo's surround sound - but then again, I'm mostly used to playing Halo in stereo.

(OT: has anyone run into sound problems with the BF3 beta on xbox? environment sound will sometimes cut out on respawn for up to like 30 seconds, it's the strangest thing ever...)

oddworld18 said:
Yeah, playing with a surround sound setup in BF3 is pretty eye-opening (ear-opening?). I feel like it's much more noticeable than Halo's surround sound - but then again, I'm mostly used to playing Halo in stereo.

(OT: has anyone run into sound problems with the BF3 beta on xbox? environment sound will sometimes cut out on respawn for up to like 30 seconds it's the strangest thing ever...)

Yep, mostly it is in the park area, but the whole beta is a glitchy mess tbh, hoping that it was a older build, dice never disappoints.

Sianos

darthbob said:
lol consoles

PC gaming master race right here
PC gaming master race? What is this, the Team Fortress 2 thread?

You guys don't want to become like the Team Fortress 2 thread.

senador

Banned
darthbob said:
lol consoles

PC gaming master race right here

Bah. I am getting sick of console games. I want PC gaming quality, but from a console. My iPhone has as much memory as the 360. I am ready for a major hardware boost for the Xbox. PC gaming seems like so much work, and time, and money. I want to just plop in a disc, turn on the tv, and pick up my sticks. When can I haz this?

Imagine Halo's quality if it had more hardware to work with or was a PC game. Mmmmmm.

VV Has Armor Lock too. Try your luck with Squad Slayer next time (or just wait for beta hoppers next week). Squad has far less Forge maps, no Armor Lock, and more DMR starts. You may be plagued with guests and quitters though. Neither TS or SS is ideal. :/

Kujo

What happened to Team Slayer? I hadn't played it since early this year, 90% of the games were terrible Forge maps and people were voting for them. There's this one map that has these 4 big columns and the other team got us spawn trapped into one side and you could hardly move. As soon as you pop your head out to one side or the other, ping ping ping from the DMR, like 1 metre of cover, ugh

Shelving Reach for the moment, going to try BF3

plz no forge maps in matchmaking for Halo 4

GhaleonEB

I think the votes for Forge maps are often the community's way of expressing their desire for new maps. The anemic initial shipping set in Reach combined with the way DLC maps don't show up mean players in that playlist are probably tired of the original maps, and vote for the Forge World ones for the sake of variety. I can't say I blame them.

I hope - and am expecting - that the the iteration on the Forge tools 343 is building will include visual variety, especially after Forge World. It really is held back by a tedious palette. Really, I just want a tool set as good as Reach but enabling us to make nice looking maps with better performance. Those two aspects really cut out a lot of potential from under Reach's Forge.

daedalius

GhaleonEB said:
I think the votes for Forge maps are often the community's way of expressing their desire for new maps. The anemic initial shipping set in Reach combined with the way DLC maps don't show up mean players in that playlist are probably tired of the original maps, and vote for the Forge World ones for the sake of variety. I can't say I blame them.

I hope - and am expecting - that the the iteration on the Forge tools 343 is building will include visual variety, especially after Forge World. It really is held back by a tedious palette. Really, I just want a tool set as good as Reach but enabling us to make nice looking maps with better performance. Those two aspects really cut out a lot of potential from under Reach's Forge.

Pretty much how I feel. I really wish I could play the DLC maps more often :(

Dax01 said:
I've had the Halo 4 desktop background for awhile now, and the missing comma in "Wake up John" is really starting to bug me.

Remember, folks, commas save lives:
1. "Let's eat Grandpa!"
2. "Let's eat, Grandpa!"

I don't think changing it to "Wake, up John" is going to fix anything.

Halo ad campaigns have been just fine without commas:
"Combat, Evolved."
"Earth Will Never Be, the Same."
"Finish, the Fight."
"We are, ODST."
"Remember, Reach."

:p

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
ncsuDuncan said:

"Combat, Evolved."
"Finish, the Fight."
"We are, ODST."
"Remember, Reach."

What the hell have you done to the English language and commas!?

Deadly Cyclone said:
The emphasis is different? But hey, it made some phrases sound like shitty action movie dialog.

"Son.."
*father gives him the gun*
"Finish, the fight." *Terminator dam dam dam dam"

Kujo

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, although it doesn't help that it was the Forge maps coming up with Slayer DMRs and the the regular maps mostly just AR starts lol, considering the weekly

Hopefully the CEA playlist is managed well.

GhaleonEB

ncsuDuncan said:

"Combat, Evolved."
"Finish, the Fight."
"We are, ODST."
"Remember, Reach."

The lack of comma in the Halo 4 wallpaper bugs me too, and is the reason I never used it. It just reads wrong that way.

Your comma additions read better if you imagine Yoda speaking them.

Falagard

GhaleonEB said:
Your comma additions read better if you imagine Yoda speaking them.

"Evolved, Combat is."
"The Same, Earth Will Never Be, "
"The Fight, Finish it we shall"
"ODST, we are"
"Reach. Remember it we will"

daedalius

Mojo said:
Yeah, although it doesn't help that it was the Forge maps coming up with Slayer DMRs and the the regular maps mostly just AR starts lol, considering the weekly

Hopefully the CEA playlist is managed well.

I wonder how robust the difference between the vanilla reach playlists and CEA playlists will be?

I mean, is there going to be 2 main lists like: Competitive, Competitive CEA, which then each break out into all of those respective playlists? Hopefully there will be enough people to populate all of them, heh.

darthbob

NSQuote said:
PC gaming master race? What is this, the Team Fortress 2 thread?

You guys don't want to become like the Team Fortress 2 thread.

Funny how the TF2 thread says that they don't want to become a Halo thread.

I think at this point new Forge World maps should just replace the existing maps in matchmaking instead of adding to them. I have nothing against seeing new maps in the rotation, I just don't want the ratio of non-gray maps to drop any further. The removal of Atom is a step in the right direction.

I'm really excited about this Breakpoint variant I'm working on. It changes the layout quite a bit, I think it will be a pretty fun 1-flag or 1-bomb map.

I just need to do more frame rate testing/optimization and then start dropping weapons/vehicles/spawns all over.

Deadly Cyclone said:
I never learned, proper grammer, or speling.

Mojo said:
What happened to Team Slayer? I hadn't played it since early this year, 90% of the games were terrible Forge maps and people were voting for them. There's this one map that has these 4 big columns and the other team got us spawn trapped into one side and you could hardly move. As soon as you pop your head out to one side or the other, ping ping ping from the DMR, like 1 metre of cover, ugh

Shelving Reach for the moment, going to try BF3

plz no forge maps in matchmaking for Halo 4
I am disappoint. Sounds like Kingdom, which is my favorite Reach map, lol. It's definitely more open, but has enough cover to avoid being a sitting duck. Less power weapons too. It's unfortunate that your team got trapped, because the flow on the map is really nice otherwise.

Kujo

That's your favourite Reach map?? We kept spawning in the same spot near a corner and there was like 2 guys scoped in on each end and there's not really a good escape route from what I saw, especially playing with randoms

ElRenoRaven

You know I was thinking. If I had to pick three Halo: Reach maps that I'd like to see redone in the far future on say Halo 6 on the 720 those would be Powerhouse, Countdown, Boardwalk.

Powerhouse I think is perfect as is and I think Boardwalk is too. I really don't understand the hate it gets to be honest. Countdown is again a map I think is perfect. It's hectic as hell and makes for some very close games I find. The only thing I would do is tone down some of the clutter.

I played Team Slayer twice yesterday. OMG Terrible. There is this map called Precipice and for the life of me I cannot figure out why its in MM.

GhaleonEB said:
The lack of comma in the Halo 4 wallpaper bugs me too, and is the reason I never used it. It just reads wrong that way.
Wake up John. Do it. You know you want to, go ahead. Wake him up.

xxjuicesxx said:
I played Team Slayer twice yesterday. OMG Terrible. There is this map called Precipice and for the life of me I cannot figure out why its in MM.
I had fun playing TS yesterday. All of the AL users were bad, and the maps I played were fun. I did come from playing Gears 2, though, so Reach felt AMAZING.

ElRenoRaven

xxjuicesxx said:

Yea. Team Slayer was fun as hell but with the last update or so they shoved a bunch of god awful forge maps into it. I mean awful too. I think that's one reason I don't play as much because it usually ends up being one of those maps.

I really want a browser list for 4. Even if it's optional. I want to be able to find a server that is hosting maps and gametypes I want to play and join it. Matchmaking is just so damn hit or miss. Usually miss mind you.

Letters said:
no they were wrong about their choice of haircut, not about those two things

LOL

But yeah, I'm sure there were several reasons but they did specifically cite the "spectator experience" as one of the main reasons for using sprint, and both the pros and spectators voted against sprint.

Obviously 120 speed, no AA's, and no bloom are far superior!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Barrow Roll said:
You broke your disc in half and tossed your Xbox out the window didn't you.
Yep, now all I have to do is message everyone on my FL and tell them not to waste their lives playing a game only to get back to playing it in a couple months.

Tawpgun

thee henery said:
Playing BF3

Idon'tknowwhattheFUCKisgoingon.jpg

The entire beta has been disappointing so far. The netcode and hit-detection are terrible and the huge recoil on the guns doesn't help. I wouldn't mind the recoil if enemies didn't eat bullets.

Not to mention I can't tell who's an enemy and who isn't until they're up close. And everything is so bright and contrasty it hurts my eyes.

So far, BC2 is better. I want to see if I warm up to it, especially if I play with a team. But it doesn't help that the 3 games me and my friend played we were fucking split up.

senador

Banned
So I got the BF3 beta to try. The menus are not great IMO, but whatever. I chose Quick Match and wait a bit. I join a round and it literally and instantly says "YOUR TEAM LOST".

I absolutely do not want join in progress for Halo, ever.

There's no way to get back to the menu once you start playing? I have to dashboard to get out of playing? What the hell?

I also agree with Letters. This shit looks weird. Its hard to see people and find them, you can't tell if you are doing damage. Halo does a lot of things right, including Reach. The only thing this game has going for it is super awesome sound quality. I know its a beta, but it has to go gold soon. There's messy textures, weird lighting, low res stuffs. Its just odd.

Grr, I should just stick to Halo.

darthbob

senador said:
So I got the BF3 beta to try. The menus are not great IMO, but whatever. I chose Quick Match and wait a bit. I join a round and it literally and instantly says "YOUR TEAM LOST".

There's no way to get back to the menu once you start playing? I have to dashboard to get out of playing? What the hell?

I also agree with Letters. This shit looks weird. Its hard to see people and find them, you can't tell if you are doing damage. Halo does a lot of things right, including Reach. The only thing this game has going for it is super awesome sound quality. I know its a beta, but it has to go gold soon. There's messy textures, weird lighting, low res stuffs. Its just odd.

Yes you should, because you described every Battlefield game, ever. Except for the Battlelog part, that's just shit exclusive to BF3 PC.

I personally like Gear's system best. Just puts you from one game into the next game, and rewards you for staying in consecutive games. But it relies on bots, so there's that.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
senador said:

That build is also probably a month or more old. I think it's fine, they fix the issues (most likely already have) and the game will be better than Bad Company 2, which is great because I liked BC2 a lot.

Can't really compare it to Halo. Halo is a different beast.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Lol Ghaleon you're right about me in gaming side Halo threads. I can't help myself, I have to troll. My favorite is, "People still play Halo?"

senador

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
That build is also probably a month or more old. I think it's fine, they fix the issues (most likely already have) and the game will be better than Bad Company 2, which is great because I liked BC2 a lot.

Can't really compare it to Halo. Halo is a different beast.

I can compare many things about them. I don't want it to be Halo, but it could learn a thing or 2 from Halo.

If this beta came out several months ago, my attitude would be different. With less than a month to go though I am not going to put much faith in the game being much different upon release.

This was more of a demo for me. I'll try it some more and see how it goes, but for now I no longer plan to buy it.

Edit: Perhaps Battlefield just isn't my type of game. After hearing and seeing so much about BF3 and Frostbite2 it just sounded and looked incredible. Playing it didn't feel the same. I am not a fan of CoD and hoped that BF3 would be stellar, but after my short playing time I'd rather play CoD. Oh well. I guess I am just a Halo person.

kylej

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
Ah. Snipes makes a perfect blade. What happened to him? He still in prison?

Yep.

Realism in multiplayer shooters is boring. Modern Blopfare is about as much as I can handle. Gimme Quake and Halo over Battlefield any day of the week.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
senador said:
I can compare many things about them. I don't want it to be Halo, but it could learn a thing or 2 from Halo.

If this beta came out several months ago, my attitude would be different. With less than a month to go though I am not going to put much faith in the game being much different upon release.

This was more of a demo for me. I'll try it some more and see how it goes, but for now I no longer plan to buy it.

Edit: Perhaps Battlefield just isn't my type of game. After hearing and seeing so much about BF3 and Frostbite2 it just sounded and looked incredible. Playing it didn't feel the same. I am not a fan of CoD and hoped that BF3 would be stellar, but after my short playing time I'd rather play CoD. Oh well. I guess I am just a Halo person.

As mentioned, I would bet that this build is from not too long after the PC Alpha.

Waiting for full game impressions is smart though, who knows I guess.

A27 Tawpgun said:
The entire beta has been disappointing so far. The netcode and hit-detection are terrible and the huge recoil on the guns doesn't help. I wouldn't mind the recoil if enemies didn't eat bullets.

Not to mention I can't tell who's an enemy and who isn't until they're up close. And everything is so bright and contrasty it hurts my eyes.

So far, BC2 is better. I want to see if I warm up to it, especially if I play with a team. But it doesn't help that the 3 games me and my friend played we were fucking split up.

Yea, I'm not slating the game because I wasn't owning or anything either. I played the Gears 3 beta and was average to bad at the game but thought it was superb, it was easy to pick up.

That Premium playlist amalgamation can't come soon enough. I was playing Premium Slayer earlier, the playlist was at a population of 60. The games were laggy and lopsided. NO EVADE THOUGH.

Top Bottom