• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Deadly Cyclone said:
What's this? Is Anniversary getting a special edition?

A buddy on another forum mentioned GameStation stores here in the UK are now taking pre-orders on two versions of the game (Halo CE Anniversary and Halo CE Anniversary Combat Edition) but they couldn't give him any more information about the Combat Edition. We were wondering if this edition is real or if it's just an error.

Louis Wu

TheOddOne said:
Heh - GrimBrother One got to this story before I did yesterday morning, and his newspost on HBO is pretty neutral... but mine was not, really:

a newspost that never was said:
The Official Xbox Magazine is stepping firmly into speculation territory and attempting to glean hints about Halo 4 gameplay from comments made by team members about OTHER games. (This will not end well.) If you want to play along, ElzarTheBam has provided you with a link to the article in question. (If this sort of analysis really had any value, we'd have found World of Warcraft features all through Halo 2.)
Probably just as well I left that alone...

GarthVaderUK said:
A buddy on another forum mentioned GameStation stores here in the UK are now taking pre-orders on two versions of the game (Halo CE Anniversary and Halo CE Anniversary Combat Edition) but they couldn't give him any more information about the Combat Edition. We were wondering if this edition is real or if it's just an error.
343i haven't announced anything yet. Maybe it is a Game exclusive version, they make themselve. Like a steelbook + the Grunt + Chief armour code, because the only official pre-order item is the preview of the artbook and they did a lot of steelbooks in the past.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Frank, if you are reading this, make some kind of special edition for Anniversary. Give me something awesome Halo-related. (Life sized Halo CE pistol replica?)

FyreWulff

Isn't it kind of late to be announcing official LEs?

If they are, make it better than the Halo Wars LE or don't do it at all

Wars LE is best LE

Deadly Cyclone said:
Frank, if you are reading this, make some kind of special edition for Anniversary. Give me something awesome Halo-related. (Life sized Halo CE pistol replica?)
Why should they do this? The game is coming out in a few weeks. I can IMAGINE a lot of people will be mad somehow, because they already paid their pre-order etc. Or spent the money on the other awesome titles that will come this november.(and they are a lot...)

FyreWulff said:
Isn't it kind of late to be announcing official LEs?

If they are, make it better than the Halo Wars LE or don't do it at all

Wars LE is best LE
Halo 2 CE > all others LE. And yeah I bought every Legendary Edition, because I want them somehow. :(

Edit.:
FyreWulff said:
Considering Halo 2 1.5 works with Halo 2 1.0 and Halo 3 1.1 works with Halo 3 1.0, no, they actually broke tradition there.
Yeah right. Bungie... oh shit 343i released the TU. Developer change= new tradition. :p :)

FyreWulff

i nerini del buio said:
isn't that to be expected?

Considering Halo 2 1.5 works with Halo 2 1.0 and Halo 3 1.1 works with Halo 3 1.0, no, they actually broke tradition/expectations there.

Hypertrooper said:
Halo 2 CE > all others LE. And yeah I bought every Legendary Edition, because I want them somehow. :(

2's steelbook was cool, along with the Making Of, but I think Wars had the best content -> space it took up ratio out of all of them.

Also the giant rubber patch that I'm still looking for an use for.

Also Wars was a Steelbook for it's LE, so it automatically starts at Halo 2's level.

Sikamikanico said:
Dude, as always, if on the internet someone says something with ;) at the end, it means they're messing around. Chill out.

NO DAMNIT INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS 24/7

daedalius said:
I liked Reach's LE quite a bit ;)
needed more Art book though.
Dr. Halsey Diary is awesome. I would prefer a fictional book over a artbook in a Halo limited edition. The art of Halo is pure gloriousness. I want to see that art on a great paper quality. If Microsoft gives me this paper quality, forget what I say. But if not, give me a Halo 4 Evolutions - Short stories around Halo 4, written by Frank O'Conner, Kevin Grace, David Ellis, Coco and Voc. (Write a Halo story, Ellis. I know you can do it!)

FyreWulff said:
2's steelbook was cool, along with the Making Of, but I think Wars had the best content -> space it took up ratio out of all of them.

Also the giant rubber patch that I'm still looking for an use for.

Also Wars was a Steelbook for it's LE, so it automatically starts at Halo 2's level.

NO DAMNIT INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS 24/7
:) But Halo Wars hadn't a making of video. :) But yeah the packaging of Halo Wars was great.

daedalius

Hypertrooper said:
Dr. Halsey Diary is awesome. I would prefer a fictional book over a artbook in a Halo limited edition. The art of Halo is pure gloriousness. I want to see that art on a great paper quality. If Microsoft gives me this paper quality, forget what I say. But if not, give me a Halo 4 Evolutions - Short stories around Halo 4, written by Frank O'Conner, Kevin Grace, David Ellis, Coco and Voc. (Write a Halo story, Ellis. I know you can do it!)

Yea, sometimes the Artbooks in games aren't that great... like the Gears 3 artbook for example, or Dues Ex; both very small. But then some games have amazing huge art books, like Space Marine or Warhammer Online and WoW.

I am going to get that "art of building worlds" book pretty soon, was there ever an actual release of a Reach artbook or anything? other than the small art section at the back of the Strategy Guide? Still amazed the Halo 3 artbook is worth like $200+ now, guess I got lucky.

darthbob

FyreWulff said:
Also MS, your streaming tech is neat and all, but let us actually download the Reach Legendary commentary damnit.

There's always Youtube.

But still, I'd like an actual download of the Commentary.

ElRenoRaven

Louis Wu said:
Heh - GrimBrother One got to this story before I did yesterday morning, and his newspost on HBO is pretty neutral... but mine was not, really:

Probably just as well I left that alone...

Yea. It is just a stupid stupid article. Gee they're playing other people's games. Oh they must be going to make Halo 4 like these other games cause they're playing them and like them. If I could reach through the net and slap someone I'd so do that to whoever wrote that trash.

FyreWulff said:
Also MS, your streaming tech is neat and all, but let us actually download the Reach Legendary commentary damnit.

In other news, if you STILL want DLC and are part of ForgeGAF, I have started a contest to fill out the upcoming Zombie Cartographers Map Pack File Set. I'll be doing a full writeup on all submitted maps and Noble/Defiant/Remake Pack are all up for grabs.

Yea. I can't even find it in waypoint anymore. It's buried in there somewhere. So I'm not going to lie. After watching it once on Waypoint and then a couple months later trying to find it but not I just downloaded it in 8 parts from Youtube so that I could have a hard copy. Sadly I can't edit mp4 files so I can't combine them together to be whole again. Someday maybe I can.

With that said Frankie or David if you're reading this please make sure all video's for making ofs etc are included on a disc with the games in the future. PLEASE!!

Tawpgun

Halo 4 plz keep clarity. I don't want muddy "realistic" graphics and effects cluttering shit up #BF3Rage

BC2 was fine but it looks so messy in BF3.

feel

GarthVaderUK said:
Any idea what's going to be in the Halo CE Anniversary Combat Edition?
dunno but WANT WANT WANT

A27 Tawpgun said:
Halo 4 plz keep clarity. I don't want muddy "realistic" graphics and effects cluttering shit up #BF3Rage

BC2 was fine but it looks so messy in BF3.
And people going prone behind every milk carton or corpse, while you're being distracted by a million visual glitches that don't even let you focus on slight enemy movement in the environment.. Ugh. What a disappointing beta.

GhaleonEB

FyreWulff said:
Considering Halo 2 1.5 works with Halo 2 1.0 and Halo 3 1.1 works with Halo 3 1.0, no, they actually broke tradition/expectations there.
I think they appropriately placed cross version compatibility very low on the totem pole of priorities.

I think they appropriately placed cross version compatibility very low on the totem pole of priorities.

Yep agreed.

If you want to lan just take 5 minuites to delete the patches on the consoles that have them. Or make sure all the consoles are on the same patch version. Its not rocket science and shouldnt be something that stops the removal of stuff like bloom.

EDIT:

As much as I may not 100% enjoy Reach, at least the game works. BF3 is so broken.

GhaleonEB said:
The availability of XBL will also gave greatly affected how many people can update to the latest version as well.

FyreWulff said:
Perhaps, but it's a realistic decision to make, considering the increased profileration of broadband in the past 4 - 7 years. So I agree with the others.

Why wasn't the Halo Wars Patch like the Reach one (which is on my 30+ year old jacket)? Seemed beyond stupid to me that it was plastic.

Letters said:
dunno but WANT WANT WANT

And people going prone behind every milk carton or corpse, while you're being distracted by a million visual glitches that don't even let you focus on slight enemy movement in the environment.. Ugh. What a disappointing beta.

Its a Beta, not a DEMO. I for one am happy this shit is going on so they can fix it. I also don't seem to be having half of the problems everyone else is. I'm confident that BF3 will be a great game.

I suspect Dice is simply testing some things that are causing the glitches, and is also possible this is an earlier build than everyone seems to think it is.

I'm very happy with this game thus far.

A27_StarWolf said:
Its a Beta, not a DEMO. I for one am happy this shit is going on so they can fix it. I also don't seem to be having half of the problems everyone else is. I'm confident that BF3 will be a great game.

I suspect Dice is simply testing some things that are causing the glitches, and is also possible this is an earlier build than everyone seems to think it is.

I'm sorry, but if you really release a beta 4 weeks before launch, you can't call it a beta imo.

Hypertrooper said:
I'm sorry, but if you really release a beta 4 weeks before launch, you can't call it a beta imo.

Its obviously an earlier build of the game. Your opinion doesn't really matter since a beta can be released any time a company wants, there is no strict rule on the matter.

Karl2177

A27_StarWolf said:
Its obviously an earlier build of the game. Your opinion doesn't really matter since a beta can be released any time a company wants, there is no strict rule on the matter.
But are you going to get good data from a beta 4 weeks away and of a previous build? No.

A27_StarWolf said:

I've heard the build is quite old. I'm not worried about BF3, yes this build is very buggy, but the core gameplay is fucking great IMO. DICE has a very good track record of quality games and great support.

PooBone

A27_StarWolf said:
This. They're probably just using it to load test their servers.

A27_StarWolf said:

Someone linked to a developer saying the build was a "couple weeks" behind the current build.

What you see is what we will get for the most part on Oct. 25th.

PooBone said:
This. They're probably just using it to load test their servers.

Yeah this game plays fucking amazing, maybe some people are blaming glitches because they are not as good at is as they thought it would be, I played way to realistically in BFBC2, I was meh at it. Now I feel like that same style rewards me.

A27_StarWolf said:
Why don't my opinion matter? Sorry. I can think. If the game comes out in 4 weeks and they release a beta now, I'm thinking the game isn't finished for launch. And WHY should they release an earlier build, if they want to fix out bugs? I don't get it. Are the bugs there since the Alpha etc? That's a damn lazy job by Dice then. And what I read the glitches aren't hard to find.

I don't blame the gameplay, I blame the condition of the game and the time frame till launch right now. It gives me the opinion: Damn. What's the purpose?

A27_StarWolf said:
HIS OPINION DOESN'T MATTER?

Gee wiz, almost as if he wasn't a god damn customer. Jesus.
You may not like it StarWolf, but the term 'public beta' when it comes to AAA game means something different in the modern marketplace.
This 1-month off beta has way issues that GoW3/Reach/Uncharted3/Halo3 beta that were carried out months in advance. The quality of those betas mean that in the consumers mind, a beta like this should be pretty representative of the final, used more for
a)balancing
b)load testing
c)marketing/fan appreciation.

Ramirez

Mojo said:
GctlD.jpg

aL97U.jpg

ZdXSm.jpg

lol

2T3iQ.jpg

lol, holy crap, have the populations taken a hit during prime time as well?

Omlet said that most of the graphical glitches are already fixed for the retail game, BF isn't for everyone, but my God, when it clicks with you, so good. The squad system is pretty terrible however.

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah, judging by the number of players per 24 hours, the population has taken a hit over the last month or two.

I know I'm not playing anymore until the TU hits with playlists. Probably not until Anniversary.

Hypertrooper said:
Why don't my opinion matter? Sorry. I can think. If the game comes out in 4 weeks and they release a beta now, I'm thinking the game isn't finished for launch. And WHY should they release an earlier build, if they want to fix out bugs? I don't get it. Are the bugs there since the Alpha etc? That's a damn lazy job by Dice then. And what I read the glitches aren't hard to find.

I don't blame the gameplay, I blame the condition of the game and the time frame till launch right now. It gives me the opinion: Damn. What's the purpose?

I love you Hypertrooper <3 all I meant that it does not have to be the most recent build to get the testing you need done out of the way :)

The opinion thing was just me trying to say that a beta is a beta, you know what I mean? No matter when it is released.

Ramirez

Zeouterlimits said:
*looks at thread title*
Ha.

:-/

It's interesting to think about, do people just not care about Halo that much anymore, or was Reach really that bad to most people who enjoyed the past games, heh.

Starwolf, BF 3 beta is a glorified MP demo, just like the BC2 one back before it released. I guess they might be testing server stability and stuff like that, but the game is going to be probably the exact same aside from the supposed fixed graphical glitches.

kylej

Banned
Ramirez said:
http://majornelson.com/2011/09/29/live-activity-for-week-of-september-19th/

Dropped to number 4, will inevitably drop to 5 or lower once BF3/MW3 hits. Never thought I'd see the day...

MW2 ahead of Reach. lmao. Well done to everyone involved.

How on earth is Bungie going to handle an MMO for their next game? Guys, you can't just release 3 tiny maps twice a year for $15 a piece with an MMO. I can only imagine their level of post-release support in that genre.

"What do you mean, we got a patch out for the one year anniversary! Yes, yes, I know the only new environment is a small brown warehouse, but these things take time! Blizzard doesn't put the care that we do into their work, that's why things take so long. Love, Bungie"

bzzzz, not going to cut it. I can't picture the '3 months to remove a fusion coil from Valhalla' company entering the MMO space. I just can't.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Karl2177 said:
But are you going to get good data from a beta 4 weeks away and of a previous build? No.

Yes.

This beta is most likely to test the network infrastructure for when launch day hits, thus why it was an open beta. If you have more people playing the beta to try out the game than will actually buy the game, and you can nail down your networking from feedback, you can then be fairly sure you'll be alright server-wise on launch day. Something Bad Company 2 had issues with.

Ramirez said:
It's interesting to think about, do people just not care about Halo that much anymore, or was Reach really that bad to most people who enjoyed the past games, heh.

Oddly, Reach is one of my favorite Halo games. Lower than 2 map-wise, but higher than 2 for multiplayer in general. 1 is still top, with Reach and 3 a close second.

A27_StarWolf said:
I love you Hypertrooper <3 all I meant that it does not have to be the most recent build to get the testing you need done out of the way :)

The opinion thing was just me trying to say that a beta is a beta, you know what I mean? No matter when it is released.
I love ya too. But I connect the words "Alpha", "Beta" etc. with the progress of the development. But who cares? Everyone can play Battlefield 3 and don't have to wait 2-6hours to play it. So everyone is happy!

Ramirez said:
Sales comparision for Reach Year 1 & Halo 3 Year 1? Maybe an install-base issue, but I'd guess Reach sold more.

Now whether it sold "proportionally" more for you not to be partially right, I can't say.

Kind of want to do a HaloGAF - "What are your actual expectations for Halo 4?, but not sure if I should bother.

kylej said:
MW2 ahead of Reach. lmao. Well done to everyone involved.

How on earth is Bungie going to handle an MMO for their next game? Guys, you can't just release 3 tiny maps twice a year for $15 a piece with an MMO. I can only imagine their level of post-release support in that genre.

"What do you mean, we got a patch out for the one year anniversary! Yes, yes, I know the only new environment is a small brown warehouse, but these things take time! Blizzard doesn't put the care that we do into their work, that's why things take so long. Love, Bungie"

bzzzz, not going to cut it. I can't picture the '3 months to remove a fusion coil from Valhalla' company entering the MMO space. I just can't.

Small brown warehouses just get no respect these days.

Aren't DLC prices and schedules determined by the publisher/Microsoft? I'm pretty sure Bungie's deal with Activision is very favorable for them and puts more control in their hands than they ever had with Halo.

Besides, comparing Halo 3/Reach support to World of Warcraft's isn't very fair.
FPS vs. MMORPG support.
Console vs. PC support.

This is all a moot point, since Tiger/Destiny is just a sequel to Operation: Desert Storm. Gotta get in on that modern warfare cash.

Top Bottom