• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

TheOddOne

Ramirez said:
It's interesting to think about, do people just not care about Halo that much anymore, or was Reach really that bad to most people who enjoyed the past games, heh.
Doubt it will go down further, it will climb back or stay atleast in the top 5. The influx of new populair games, with multiplayer focus, will always crack the charts but eventually will eventually disappear.

It will be interesting to see numbers relative to the xbox playerbase. That might put things into perspective. The thing is though if Reach is below even MW2 then its probably not faring very well.

Epyon MX said:
I know I'm not playing anymore until the TU hits with playlists. Probably not until Anniversary.

Yeah outside of a few games this week, I haven't touched matchmaking in a few weeks.

343 said at Halofest that they think the TU and CEA will boost Reach's MM activity. It will be interesting to see if it does.

MIMIC

Banned
Is "Deli Del Deli" a well-known Halo player? I played him in two matches and in the 2nd one someone went "is that the real deli?"

He then proceeded to single-handedly destroy my team and had 32 kills at one point. lol

daedalius

Steelyuhas said:
343 said at Halofest that they think the TU and CEA will boost Reach's MM activity. It will be interesting to see if it does.

Well the CEA will most assuredly boost the MM population, simply for the fact it is a new Halo release.

heckfu

Banned
A guy in SWAT just crouched up and down really fast to where it looked like he was humping my face. I hope that doesn't catch on.

Ramirez

TheOddOne said:
Doubt it will go down further, it will climb back or stay atleast in the top 5. The influx of new populair games, with multiplayer focus, will always crack the charts but eventually will eventually disappear.

It will definitely drop to 5 or below once BF3/MW3/Skyrim hit, CEA might be able to push it back into the top 3, but I'm skeptical at this point.

MIMIC said:
Is "Deli Del Deli" a well-known Halo player? I played him in two matches and in the 2nd one someone went "is that the real deli?"

He then proceeded to single-handedly destroy my team and had 32 kills at one point. lol
I haven't heard of him, but that doesn't really mean much anymore. It's easy to go pro in Reach, seems like.

Homeboyd

heckfu said:
A guy in SWAT just crouched up and down really fast to where it looked like he was humping my face. I hope that doesn't catch on.
My god.. I saw something similar happening to me today! He kept saying something about how he was thirsty and wanted me to make him some tea or something. Weirdo.

heckfu said:
slowpoke_pokemon.gif

TheOddOne

Ramirez said:
It will definitely drop to 5 or below once BF3/MW3/Skyrim hit, CEA might be able to push it back into the top 3, but I'm skeptical at this point.
MW3 is certainly going to make a dent and have some legs, but the other two I'm a bit skeptical. Looking back at Bad Company 2, it dropped pretty fast from the top 10. Skyrim might be up there for a week or two, but after that it will drop fast.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
heckfu said:

Haha, that sounds pretty funny. We should come up with a name for it! Like Victory Squats, or Face Dancing, or Honor Curtsy!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
We have a Red Bull LAN tonight 8 Eastern. Turning Point, Believe the Hype and Instinct. Should be awesome. With the event in just 2 weeks, I'm assuming it's with bloom.

kylej

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
We have a Red Bull LAN tonight 8 Eastern. Turning Point, Believe the Hype and Instinct. Should be awesome. With the event in just 2 weeks, I'm assuming it's with bloom.

Turning Point to get shit on. Ninja to cry. Papa Walsh to punch him in the head and throw him in a dumpster.

Booshka

Tashi0106 said:
I thought I heard that Status Quo would be there and Instinct wouldn't? Either way, I'll be tuning in intermittently, to see if TP still gets destroyed on LAN like they have been on Live.
I heard there was an issue with Instinct because Dr Pepper wouldn't let them go to a LAN sponsored by Red Bull.

Striker

bobs99 ... said:
It will be interesting to see numbers relative to the xbox playerbase. That might put things into perspective. The thing is though if Reach is below even MW2 then its probably not faring very well.
MW2 was above Reach when Reach was hitting 700-800K players.

It's a simple fact more players are on CoD games now than ever before.

Ramirez said:
It's interesting to think about, do people just not care about Halo that much anymore, or was Reach really that bad to most people who enjoyed the past games, heh.
I think it's a little of column A, a little of column B. Reach didn't feel as momentous an occasion as the other Halo launches, maybe Wars and ODST being released in the interim watered down the excitement for the brand. I will say for myself personally that Reach completely deflated my Halo boner, despite being at an all time high coming off of how fantastic ODST was.

Tashi

Booshka said:
I thought I heard that Status Quo would be there and Instinct wouldn't? Either way, I'll be tuning in intermittently, to see if TP still gets destroyed on LAN like they have been on Live.
I heard there was an issue with Instinct because Dr Pepper wouldn't let them go to a LAN sponsored by Red Bull.
You're right, SQ is taking their spot.

And yea Kyle, Turning Point blows. It will be good to learn from their mistakes though.

Booshka

Rickenslacker said:
I think it's a little of column A, a little of column B. Reach didn't feel as momentous an occasion as the other Halo launches, maybe Wars and ODST being released in the interim watered down the excitement for the brand. I will say for myself personally that Reach completely deflated my Halo boner, despite being at an all time high coming off of how fantastic ODST was.
I haven't had a Halo boner since November 8th, 2004.

kylej said:
MW2 ahead of Reach. lmao. Well done to everyone involved.

How on earth is Bungie going to handle an MMO for their next game? Guys, you can't just release 3 tiny maps twice a year for $15 a piece with an MMO. I can only imagine their level of post-release support in that genre.

"What do you mean, we got a patch out for the one year anniversary! Yes, yes, I know the only new environment is a small brown warehouse, but these things take time! Blizzard doesn't put the care that we do into their work, that's why things take so long. Love, Bungie"

bzzzz, not going to cut it. I can't picture the '3 months to remove a fusion coil from Valhalla' company entering the MMO space. I just can't.

What are you talking about Blizzard had the same 3 maps in multiplayer for years. When BC came out they added one more. Ooooh.

Striker said:
MW2 was above Reach when Reach was hitting 700-800K players.

It's a simple fact more players are on CoD games now than ever before.

Halo 3 was above MW2 though, so what happened? There were more Halo players than CoD players not that long ago.

daedalius said:
Well the CEA will most assuredly boost the MM population, simply for the fact it is a new Halo release.

I doubt CEA will sell that well. Not in this season of heavy multiplayer titles. How many people are going to buy a game that is simply using the Reach multiplayer if they are already bored of the Reach multiplayer. Sure CEA might be more about the campaign, but again why buy a campaign you have already played when there are so many games coming out now? I dont think even 343 expects it to be a huge seller. Its just a nice reach out for fans. (Which fell just short of the mark by re-using Reach MP in my opinion.)

That said I will be suprised if MW3 does as well as MW2, surely after how poor MW2 was people wont fall for the hype.

TheOddOne said:
MW3 is certainly going to make a dent and have some legs, but the other two I'm a bit skeptical. Looking back at Bad Company 2, it dropped pretty fast from the top 10. Skyrim might be up there for a week or two, but after that it will drop fast.

Bad Company 2 is still in the top 10, so not sure what you mean. BF3 will be around, for sure.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
bobs99 ... said:
Halo 3 was above MW2 though, so what happened? There were more Halo players than CoD players not that long ago.

Halo 3 and Modern Warfare 2 always duked it out. One week it was Halo 3, next week it was Modern Warfare 2. Once Reach and Black Ops came out, there wasn't really any competition, lol.

feel

I'm surprised Reach has held a high spot all this time, the playlists, gameplay and maps are so bad. The game has serious identity issues, it tried to please all sort of niches and ended up pleasing none. There's no single game mode plus map combo that sums the game up and defines it (in a positive way), that has everyone excited and continuously playing just because there's a chance it will come up. It's just a complete mess of bad (gametype+map) combo after bad combo with the occasional bearable one. The community is way too split.

RBK

Banned
I can agree on terrible maps, but the gameplay and playlists are fine with me. I still enjoyed Halo 3 more though of course.

Letters said:
I'm surprised Reach has held a high spot all this time, the playlists, gameplay and maps are so bad. The game has serious identity issues, it tried to please all sort of niches and ended up pleasing none. There's no single game mode plus map combo that sums the game up and defines it (in a positive way), that has everyone excited and continuously playing just because there's a chance it will come up. It's just a complete mess of bad (gametype+map) combo after bad combo with the occasional bearable one. The community is way too split.
And now CEA is coming in with its map pack trying to put another bandage on top of it all. Ugggghhhhhhh, I just wanted actual CE multiplayer online. Granted the new maps look beautiful, but I just want to bury Reach already.

Striker

bobs99 ... said:
As I said, Reach was hitting 700-800K this summer. MW2 was constantly over that and producing more. That alone shows you how many people are playing an older game, let alone the new one that produced amazingly high results in Black Ops. The CoD series has drastically risen in population since MW2. World at War was also challenging Halo 3 hard and had some moments over it, and that wasn't nearly as popular as these two are.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Letters said:

I'm hoping the TU w/ added features because of player feedback and the CEA maps give Reach a proper "reboot".

Homeboyd

Letters said:
I must be in the very small minority because I play Reach almost daily... and keep wanting to come back for more. I completely agree there are some problems with the game (some of which are being addressed in the TU) but anytime I try a new game.. I end up shelving it to come back to Reach. I don't know why other than I simply just enjoy the game. There are times when Reach makes me want to punch a child in the face... but most of the time I enjoy myself.

Oh and I play solo 99% of the time.

So, they're doing something right. From my perspective anyways...

OuterWorldVoice said:
you CRAZY.

This is not a good barometer at all but any media put out for MW3 gets hated on lol. Any youtube video I have seen for MW3 is literally jam packed with comments about how much better BF3 is going to be. I get the feeling people are going off the CoD model. MW2 was especially unbalanced lol.

Black Ops is pretty good, but yeah generally I think people want BF3 to succeed. Based on the BF3 beta though... lol not going to happen on Xbox.

Regardless, CEA is going to be facing some very stiff competition.

Zeouterlimits said:
Yeah, MW3 will very likely be bigger than BLOPS, which is crazy.

Dat Mainstream.

If it wasn't for the BF3 beta being a bit poor, I would almost say the hype would have transfered across to that game.

GhaleonEB

OuterWorldVoice said:
Haha, that sounds pretty funny. We should come up with a name for it! Like Victory Squats, or Face Dancing, or Honor Curtsy!
I did that to someone once and they got mad at me. I explained that it was my way of honoring their body in death. They stayed mad.

Tashi

bobs99 ... said:
This is not a good barometer at all but any media put out for MW3 gets hated on lol. Any youtube video I have seen for MW3 is literally jam packed with comments about how much better BF3 is going to be. I get the feeling people are going off the CoD model. MW2 was especially unbalanced lol.

Black Ops is pretty good, but yeah generally I think people want BF3 to succeed. Based on the BF3 beta though... lol not going to happen on Xbox.

Regardless, CEA is going to be facing some very stiff competition.

I can't wait until Bungie's next game gets hate on just because Activision is publishing. Wait until you see the threads here. Bungie is going to show a teaser trailer and there are going to be pictures of Evil Bobby Kotick everywhere. It could be the greatest game ever and people won't buy it because of Activision. I'm not defending Activision, I'm defending the good games that get hated on because they're published by them.

OuterWorldVoice said:
I would call it "Hüpfebär". But all of you don't like German words...

Ken

Devolution said:
Is anyone up for some customs? Tell me on here, don't feel like loading up the xbox otherwise. I'm lazy at the moment.
I'd be up for customs. Will be romping around in Torchlight waiting for an invite.

heckfu

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
I would call it "Hüpfebär". But all of you don't like German words...

Are you trying to ruin a treasure of a pastime like Honor Curtsying with GERMANIC words?

what am...i cant even..

Top Bottom