• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Tunavi

Banned
Tashi0106 said:
Don't stress it, it's Tunavi
n7zci.png

ElRenoRaven

Dani said:
I can't get my head around this. The most fun I've had have come from balanced teams and games coming down to the wire. That last kill when it's 49-49 or scoring or returning the flag in the final few seconds of sudden death.

Your mind-set is what lead to de-ranking and the abundance of alt accounts in Halo 3 where really good players would trick or fool the system to let them play against lesser opponents and I really hated that side of the Halo community.

Same here. Give me a game that keeps it close. It's a hell of a lot more exciting to have a game come down to within 5 and seeing if that losing team can come back or if you can pull it off and keep the lead. When you get that last kill it's like HELL YES!!

Give me that any day of the week.

Dani said:
I can't get my head around this. The most fun I've had have come from balanced teams and games coming down to the wire. That last kill when it's 49-49 or scoring or returning the flag in the final few seconds of sudden death.

Your mind-set is what lead to de-ranking and the abundance of alt accounts in Halo 3 where really good players would trick or fool the system to let them play against lesser opponents and I really hated that side of the Halo community.

The game I had with some gaffers where we fucking tied, I never saw that before in Reach, ever. Was pretty awesome.

Tunavi

Banned
Its just that dying in Reach feels so cheap. Grenades, armor abilties, slow movement, bloom, ect.

So if I don't die, I have fun.

Tunavi said:
Its just that dying in Reach feels so cheap. Grenades, armor abilties, slow movement, bloom, ect.

I haven't given it much consideration for quite some time on why I don't find Reach's MP that much fun (I'd probably be here for a while if I did), but I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

When I was playing SWAT earlier, I was actually enjoying it. Surprising to me, because normally I hate it. In retrospect, I think it was because there were no AAs (save for Sprint), and pretty much every single time I died, it was my fault.

Sure, bloom still exists and you can get lucky or unlucky with it, but for the most part if it gets to that stage then it's entirely your fault for missing that first shot. Gameplay felt far more consistent, and I felt much more in control than regular Reach.

orznge

Banned
Photolysis said:
I haven't given it much consideration for quite some time on why I don't find Reach that much fun, but I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

When I was playing SWAT earlier, I was actually enjoying it. Surprising to me, because normally I hate it. In retrospect, I think it was because there were no AAs (save for Sprint), and pretty much every single time I died, it was my fault.

Sure, bloom still exists and you can get lucky or unlucky with it, but for the most part if it gets to that stage then it's entirely your fault for missing that first shot.

lol (in pedant voice) all the other players have bloom and AAs going against them so you're on an equal playing field every death is your fault

The problems I have with customs are the following:
- Bad Host
- Too many bad forge maps. I appreciate the selection of maps, but its hard to play the game when you're always having to figure out the map flow
- Uneven teams
- Tryhards
- People don't talk enough, I enjoy a team that communicates
- Zero Bloom Slayer, Zero Bloom Slayer, Zero Bloom Slayer, etc. It gets boring playing only ONE gametype. I really cannot wait for objective gametypes.
- The settings in slayer are always getting changed... Some times run speed is 100% other times it is 110%, Sometimes damage is 120 other times it is 100, etc.

Not to bitch, just bringing up my issues with GAF customs.

With all that said, I love GAF customs.

Tunavi

Banned
orznge said:
lol (in pedant voice) all the other players have bloom and AAs going against them so you're on an equal playing field every death is your fault
You proved yourself wrong in your own argument

orznge said:

That whooshing sound would be the point flying over your head and off into the sunset. A very pretty sunset.

If I live or die based on the randomness of bloom, then that's out of my control and not my fault. This is a large problem with Reach. You know, that's kind of why there's an entire update to alter the setting, and 343i posted on how bloom breaks the intended dynamics of the game.

Certain AAs also negate hard-won advantages. If I stick a player with a plasma grenade before he can kill me - which would ordinarily win the encounter for me - and he uses armour lock to block it, then that's not an equal playing field. I was better; I should have won. I stuck him without him doing the same to me, or otherwise killing me. Even if I also have AL, he still didn't stick me, either because of my superior evasion, grenade skills, whatever. So it's not a symmetrical exchange where it all evens out.

Or how about if I earn the Rocket Launcher through map control or otherwise via superior skill? I can't block my opponent's rocket because he doesn't have one. Again, it's an uneven exchange. Despite having the same ability, I gain nothing, and he gains an advantage.

And yes, I know the grenade example is being changed but it illustrates the point.

heckfu

Banned
Devolution said:
The game I had with some gaffers where we fucking tied, I never saw that before in Reach, ever. Was pretty awesome.

yeah that was pretty freakin awesome!

OuterWorldVoice said:
coincidence? Or Frankie Magic. You decide.

and like I said earlier, we're all Frank's Little Beauties. Except for Sai.

Photolysis said:
That whooshing sound would be the point flying over your head and off into the sunset. A very pretty sunset.

If I live or die based on the randomness of bloom, then that's out of my control and not my fault. This is a large problem with Reach. You know, that's kind of why there's an entire update to alter the setting, and 343i posted on how bloom breaks the intended dynamics of the game.

Certain AAs also negate hard-won advantages. If I stick a player with a plasma grenade before he can kill me - which would ordinarily win the encounter for me - and he uses armour lock to block it, then that's not an equal playing field. I was better; I should have won. I stuck him without him doing the same to me, or otherwise killing me. Even if I also have AL, he still didn't stick me, either because of my superior evasion, grenade skills, whatever. So it's not a symmetrical exchange where it all evens out.

Or how about if I earn the Rocket Launcher through map control or otherwise via superior skill? I can't block my opponent's rocket because he doesn't have one. Again, it's an uneven exchange. Despite having the same ability, I gain nothing, and he gains an advantage.

And yes, I know the grenade example is being changed but it illustrates the point.

Oh dude orznge was being sardonic.

kylej

Banned
Devin Olsen said:
The problems I have with customs are the following:
- Bad Host
- Too many bad forge maps. I appreciate the selection of maps, but its hard to play the game when you're always having to figure out the map flow
- Uneven teams
- Tryhards
- People don't talk enough, I enjoy a team that communicates
- Zero Bloom Slayer, Zero Bloom Slayer, Zero Bloom Slayer, etc. It gets boring playing only ONE gametype. I really cannot wait for objective gametypes.
- The settings in slayer are always getting changed... Some times run speed is 100% other times it is 110%, Sometimes damage is 120 other times it is 100, etc.

Pretty much the reason why I play matchmaking with the same 10 or so people. No mic, or people with a mic who don't talk drive me up the wall. It's the internet y'all, you don't have to be afraid to talk.

Merguson

Banned
kylej said:
Pretty much the reason why I play matchmaking with the same 10 or so people. No mic, or people with a mic who don't talk drive me up the wall. It's the internet y'all, you don't have to be afraid to talk.

I can't hear shit, I have no point of talking over the internet.

Unless you want to hear me talk to myself.

kylej

Banned
Merguson said:
I can't hear shit, I have no point of talking over the internet.

Unless you want to hear me talk to myself.

You got an excuse. Half the kids in GAF customs are too busy watching anime or something to call out.

Karl2177

Sometimes the mechanics of this game don't bother me half as much as the people in the game. I don't think I've had a time where this game hasn't bothered me.

sp3000

The only playlists I am into are the Premium ones. Only because the Forge world maps are killing this game's matchmaking on every other playlists. I cannot stand them, they look worse than Halo 1 and play terribly.

I would really like to play BTB, but every time some stupid Forge World map is voted in, at which point I quit out. I've just given up playing anything but the DLC lists.

feel

Tunavi said:
Reach is only fun when you're completely shitting on another team. Thats why customs aren't great and why going into matchmaking with a party is fun. October 4th is going to be awesome
In matchmaking, the least fun games for me are when my team is totally running over the other one. Completely boring and unfulfilling, I just feel honestly bad for them and I would prefer to be on the side receiving the beating because that way I would be getting challenged. I find that in Halo 3 teams are way more balanced usually, you're constantly getting a nice challenge and the games are close, even in Social. In Reach more often then not one of the teams is way better.

*back to the roleplaying awesomeness that is Deus Ex*

Letters said:
In matchmaking, the least fun games for me are when my team is totally running over the other one. Completely boring and unfulfilling, I just feel honestly bad for them and I would prefer to be on the side receiving the beating because that way I would be getting challenged. I find that in Halo 3 teams are way more balanced usually, you're constantly getting a nice challenge and the games are close, even in Social. In Reach more often then not one of the teams is way better.

*back to the roleplaying awesomeness that is Deus Ex*

Thats true, Social H3 is great!.

Social is Social in H3 and Reach, the only difference is Reach has Arena (which sucks) and H3 had individual ranked playlists to get good games in sometimes a good playlist (SWAT, Snipes, MLG)

Booshka

Tunavi you're such a scrub lol. He just needs me on his team, one game with me on the other team, -11, next game with me on his team, +11. Also, some of you peeps need to think about map control more when you are playing, instead of constantly running toward where you see the other team, get some kills, pick up power weapons, go to/stay at power positions on the map and let them come to you. Admittedly this is tough to do when it's the first time playing a random forge map and you don't know where anything is. Just speaking in general though.

I was distracted most of those games, talking to my friend on the phone, who then came over and hung out while I played. I was talking to him mostly and we were playing on some random forge maps where I wouldn't even know where to begin to call out. I got some really silly no scopes and snipes in general tonight. Some of the ones I got on Devo were just stupid lol. I had a pretty good time playing, but I get kinda bored of just Slayer over and over, jogging on grey maps doing the same thing repeatedly gets old. We need Objective soon.

Booshka said:
Tunavi you're such a scrub lol. He just needs me on his team, one game with me on the other team, -11, next game with me on his team, +11. Also, some of you peeps need to think about map control more when you are playing, instead of constantly running toward where you see the other team, get some kills, pick up power weapons, go to/stay at power positions on the map and let them come to you. Admittedly this is tough to do when it's the first time playing a random forge map and you don't know where anything is. Just speaking in general though.

I was distracted most of those games, talking to my friend on the phone, who then came over and hung out while I played. I was talking to him mostly and we were playing on some random forge maps where I wouldn't even know where to begin to call out. I got some really silly no scopes and snipes in general tonight. Some of the ones I got on Devo were just stupid lol. I had a pretty good time playing, but I get kinda bored of just Slayer over and over, jogging on grey maps doing the same thing repeatedly gets old. We need Objective soon.

People thought I was raging but I just found the host we had at first so tedious.

Booshka

Devolution said:
People thought I was raging but I just found the host we had at first so tedious.
Majority of the games were laggy, so it was hard to take them seriously. We'd have a decent connection then get host migration mid-game to a laggy one. Hard to give a shit after something that stupid happens.

Booshka

Teknoman said:
When doing call outs, do you guys try to learn the maps first or just do a general direction/landmark nearby?
It's easiest to go by weapon or objective spawns. Calling out and learning the maps goes hand in hand though, the more you play on a map, the more specific the call outs become. Elevation is important to call out, low high mid, then a base or colored area they are at. An example would be like Green 1, Green 2, or you could say something like bottom red, that is usually standard call outs.

On maps that don't have distinct colors for areas, weapon spawns and landmarks come in handy. At bottom lift, top bridge, their radio, stuff like that. Almost all of the Pro teams load up a map with just their team and run around assigning and clarifying call outs, while there are general callouts that everyone uses. Even just playing with friends on a regular basis you can come up with unique inside joke kind of call outs. It's all about playing often and getting more familiar with the map though, that is the main aspect.

PNut

Banned
The real problem with GAF customs is that they are taken way too seriously. People bitching about bad host's, campers, tryhards and lag? Really? In custom games? Who cares? lol. Just play some shit that's fun. Whether it be zero bloom, regular bloom, mini-games or whatever.

Devolution said:

feel

Sai-kun said:
Guys, I got my Grunt plushie today :333 ohgosh.png

here's grunty with my two little yoshi plushies! (bonus sackboy plush ass)

http://twitpic.com/6t8vcv
:lol

Awesome pic. I immediately saw them all completely drunk having a good time, with Sackboy vomiting to the side and the Grunt laughing his ass off at it (the angle makes it seem like he's "xD").

Karl2177

Does everyone have a friend that just sucks at Halo? It's hard to watch them play, and in your mind you're thinking what you would have done. If only I had streaming set up so you guys could watch it too.

Sai-kun

Banned
Karl2177 said:
Does everyone have a friend that just sucks at Halo? It's hard to watch them play, and in your mind you're thinking what you would have done. If only I had streaming set up so you guys could watch it too.

There's a reason I never play Halo with my bf....:x i get too competitive so i don't ask him to play with me anymore. he's not terrible. he's just...not so great at being aware of his surroundings, so he dies often.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Sai-kun said:
There's a reason I never play Halo with my bf....:x i get too competitive so i don't ask him to play with me anymore. he's not terrible. he's just...not so great at being aware of his surroundings, so he dies often.

I let my fiance's brother play the other night and he made Frankie look like an MLG pro. He doesn't play Halo or even own an Xbox and yet he was dumped into Zero Bloom serious business customs.

He had fun though - that's the important part.

Karl2177 said:
Does everyone have a friend that just sucks at Halo? It's hard to watch them play, and in your mind you're thinking what you would have done.
Heh, sounds like a PSA.

"Do you have a friend that sucks at Halo?
Do you watch them play, silently struggling because you know if they weren't your friend you'd be laughing on an internet forum about that a bk they are?

Here at Lake Minnetonka, we can help.
Our strict regiment of hot pockets, nostalgia glasses and low latency host will have secretly screaming at your loved one no longer.

Call us now at 1800-NOSCRUB. Places are limited."

Karl2177

Zeouterlimits said:
Heh, sounds like a PSA.

"Do you have a friend that sucks at Halo?
Do you watch them play, silently struggling because you know if they weren't your friend you'd be laughing on an internet forum about that a bk they are?

Here at Lake Minnetonka, we can help.
Our strict regiment of hot pockets, nostalgia glasses and low latency host will have secretly screaming at your loved one no longer.

Call us now at 1800-NOSCRUB. Places are limited."
I just recorded about 5 minutes of him playing SWAT. So good.

Temporarily banned this morning for quitting out of one game. A few days ago, when I was foolishly trying to get a killtacular in the grifball and living dead playlists, I quit out of a few games. Nice penalty system... As if the Living Dead playlist has anything to do with teammates, and Grifball is the most mind-numbingly brain dead game type of all time.

I like how the game can tell that you quit out of a bunch of games within a short timespan but it doesn't ever clear your record for playing a bunch of games straight for multiple days. Does it really just keep accumulating on your account so that eventually you will get temp banned? That is really, REALLY, retarded if so...

I wish people could see the tiny fraction of a number of the games that I have actually quit out of compared to the overall total and time played. It would be absolutely absurd. I mean look at my service record. I don't quit out of matchmaking and i've had plenty of reasons to quit out. This morning the host was so unbelievably bad, and I had already gone through 4-5 straight losses, I was like, "Screw it!" and quit. Oh great. Temp banned.
http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/default.aspx

Top Bottom