• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

kylej said:
need people for squad get online BKs send jelyk a message thank you and god bless

edit. playing against XApeLyncherX which I'm pretty sure is the most offensive thing you can fit in 15 characters

What does it stand for? I've never heard about it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
kylej said:
need people for squad get online BKs send jelyk a message thank you and god bless

edit. playing against XApeLyncherX which I'm pretty sure is the most offensive thing you can fit in 15 characters
Wow.

kylej

Banned
Tha Robbertster said:
What does it stand for? I've never heard about it.

I feel weird describing this.

Referring to black people as apes and monkeys is a racial slur. Black people were also lynched (dragged from their house and hung on trees). So, his name is Ape Lyncher.

Yeah.

kylej said:
I feel weird describing this.

Referring to black people as apes and monkeys is a racial slur. Black people were also lynched (dragged from their house and hung on trees). So, his name is Ape Lyncher.

Yeah.
Oow.....

Yeah he should be banned.

kylej said:

I played against NAGGARPUMPER once

kylej said:
I had never heard that slur before but by god is it terrible. How it's not part of the MS pre-detection...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just got my MLG Orlando team jerseys. Sooooo nice. Man I can't wait to go to this event.

Pics on my twitter, will post here later. BTW, ended up going with the old logo. Totally fine though because I love that logo.

Booshka

Deputy Moonman said:
I need a break from being terrible. Thanks for the games Juices and company. I'm up for playing Team Slayer anytime.
Yea GG's I hate Team Snipers so that is why I bounced after that game. I was recharging my batteries that I use for my mixamp the whole time. It usually only takes 15 mins, but it took almost an hour this time, that's why I wasn't talking.

Got a pretty cool looking Yoink earlier, so dishonorable of me. I jump out with one bullet in my chamber and steal Overdoziz's kill. It looks cool somehow to me lol. I'll link it later if I remember.

Booshka said:
Yea GG's I hate Team Snipers so that is why I bounced after that game. I was recharging my batteries that I use for my mixamp the whole time. It usually only takes 15 mins, but it took almost an hour this time, that's why I wasn't talking.

Got a pretty cool looking Yoink earlier, so dishonorable of me. I jump out with one bullet in my chamber and steal Overdoziz's kill. It looks cool somehow to me lol. I'll link it later if I remember.

Obviously you deserved to be betrayed the rest of the game.

Hypertrooper said:
Everyone is playing some other games than Reach. I'm staying offline...
Come play LoL. :-D

Feel like I'm waiting for the beta hoppers to hit or something to happen, but have little excitement about playing Reach, even with friends.

Devolution said:
Obviously you deserved to be betrayed the rest of the game.
So true!
Zeouterlimits said:

Feel like I'm waiting for the beta hoppers to hit or something to happen, but have little excitement about playing Reach, even with friends.
I still enjoy playing, but I really wish the beta hoppers were here already.

Zeouterlimits said:

WTF PC GAMES? PC GAMES? Nah Sorry. =)

Going to listen to bloodhound gang and eat the "pimped" cake baked by a friend.

And waiting that someone is playing "Erreichen".

Booshka

Hypertrooper said:
WTF PC GAMES? PC GAMES? Nah Sorry. =)

Going to listen to bloodhound gang and eat the "pimped" cake baked by a friend.

And waiting that someone is playing "Erreichen".
You shouldn't be afraid of PC games, you live in Europe.

Booshka said:
You shouldn't be afraid of PC games, you live in Europe.
I know. But my heart wants to be American.

Other story, I already could persuade an Hardcore PC gamer to play Halo: CEA coop with me. I hope I can convince him that FPS are playable at Consoles.

Tunavi

Banned
If I'm not playing Reach, I'm either playing GTA San Andreas or Pokemon Red, games from 2004 and 1998. They both aged really well, two amazing games. I'm about to pull the trigger on Minecraft, Pokemon Emerald, and GTA 4.

Booshka

Hypertrooper said:
I know. But my heart wants to be American.

Other story, I already could persuade an Hardcore PC gamer to play Halo: CEA coop with me. I hope I can convince him that FPS are playable at Consoles.
That's a good way to start, the first FPS that was playable on console was Halo CE, and before all you Goldeneye and Perfect Dark nerds jump at me, those games sucked.

wwm0nkey

I think I am going to take a break from Reach until the beta hoppers go live. Until then I will be playing BF3 on the 360. The game is really awesome when you get into the groove of things. Also if the first part of the map was just gone it would be even better.

Already 12 hours logged onto the beta (level 31 too)

Tunavi said:
If I'm not playing Reach, I'm either playing GTA San Andreas or Pokemon Red, games from 2004 and 1998. They both aged really well, two amazing games. I'm about to pull the trigger on Minecraft, Pokemon Emerald, and GTA 4.
We both can start playing Farmville! :p

Booshka said:
That's a good way to start, the first FPS that was playable on console was Halo CE, and before all you Goldeneye and Perfect Dark nerds jump at me, those games sucked.
Goldeneye may not have been perfect, but I had so much fun playing that game with friends.

Tunavi

Banned
Hypertrooper said:
We both can start playing Farmville! :p
VWnzg.png

Tha Robbertster said:
I was thinking in about 3 hours, is that good with you guys?
I think that's right about now, and I'm still hanging with Mrs. squid for a while watching The Wire. I'll check back later this evening (it's about 4:10pm my time right now) and see if anyone wants to party up.

squidhands said:
I think that's right about now, and I'm still hanging with Mrs. squid for a while watching The Wire. I'll check back later this evening (it's about 4:10pm my time right now) and see if anyone wants to party up.
Alright, It's 11 pm here right now but I'll be around for some time.

I just finished "Harder than Some." You know, Tip of the Spear would be one of the best Halo levels, bar none, if it were not for the following:
1. The vehicle controls are bad.
2. You're given the rocket hog which isn't as fun to destroy enemies as the turret or gauss hogs.
3. The plasma pistol charge is too accurate.
4. The Spire ending is underwhelming. The more I play this part, the more I don't like it. It's out of place. And Bungie could have made it so that you take the perfectly good encounter along the river's edge to it rather than being forced to fly there.

As it is, I'd place it below The Storm and Tsavo Highway.

Dax01 said:
I just finished "Harder than Some." You know, Tip of the Spear would be one of the best Halo levels, bar none, if it were not for the following:
1. The vehicle controls are bad.
2. You're given the rocket hog which isn't as fun to destroy enemies as the turret or gauss hogs.
3. The plasma pistol charge is too accurate.
4. The Spire ending is underwhelming. The more I play this part, the more I don't like it. It's out of place. And Bungie could have made it so that you take the perfectly good encounter along the river's edge to it rather than being forced to fly there.

As it is, I'd place it below The Storm and Tsavo Highway.
The on rails portions of the campaign are the most disappointing things of the Halo series imo. Halo has always prided itself on it's multiple pathways to encounters, and to make sections like the ones on TotS and Exodus that give you no alternative is just a poor choice that I hope never comes back in either Halo or the next Bungie project.

edit: the Halo2 on-rails sections didn't seem nearly this monotonous.

squidhands said:
The on rails portions of the campaign are the most disappointing things of the Halo series imo. Halo has always prided itself on it's multiple pathways to encounters, and to make sections like the ones on TotS and Exodus that give you no alternative is just a poor choice that I hope never comes back in either Halo or the next Bungie project.
The Exodus one feels very like - 'We're struggling to have you see this narrative important event, here, sit in this Falcon and shoot this unimportant stuff so we can make you see it and claim it's for all intensive purposes a cutscene'.

squidhands said:
edit: the Halo2 on-rails sections didn't seem nearly this monotonous.
Are you referring to the Arbiter bits in the Library? Attacked by Flood/Sentinels?

If so, very different circumstance in that you've some level of movement control.

MrBig

Dax01 said:
I'd say Tsavo Highway and The Storm are better than every level in Reach aside from maybe, maybe, New Alexandria.
That's really bizarre. Reach may have some sludge, but The storm is a closed in linear corridor level that is the opposite of the Halo mantra in my eyes; Tsavo is an empty promise with its open vistas but boring, enclosed gameplay, though it does become one of the best in H3's cp when played through on foot.

Karl2177

MrBig said:
That's really bizarre. Reach may have some sludge, but The storm is a closed in linear corridor level that is the opposite of the Halo mantra in my eyes; Tsavo is an empty promise with its open vistas but boring gameplay, though it does become one of the best in H3's cp when played through on foot.
The great thing about The Storm is that although it is linear, there are multiple pockets of gameplay. You have to go from one section to the next, but there are many different ways you can play in the sections. The Scarab section, the AA Writhes(both segments), the hallways, and the AA Gun section all play differently and there are multiple ways to play all of them.

GhaleonEB

MrBig said:
That's really bizarre. Reach may have some sludge, but The storm is a closed in linear corridor level that is the opposite of the Halo mantra in my eyes; Tsavo is an empty promise with its open vistas but boring, enclosed gameplay, though it does become one of the best in H3's cp when played through on foot.
The mission is linear, but it's pretty much the definition of a sandbox mission. There are no encounters in all of Reach that come close to the flexibility of the two lake bed brawls, especially the one that climaxes with the Scarab. The map is a superb vehicle space, for the rocket 'Goose you're offered or for the others dropped off. Skip them and you find the space is also well crafted for infantry, lots of areas for setting up ambushes, long distance firing, infantry combat. Head up to the sides and there are mounted turrets and missile pods and long range sight lines, take the elevator up the cargo movers and there's a sniper rifle, and a vantage point to vault onto the Scarab when it stomps into the mission.

The infantry fights are far more than linear shooting sequences, with tons of ways folding over and around encounters, each of which is well paced and placed. And don't get me started on the climax of the mission, which I think is one of the best focused infantry skirmishes in the series, fighting the huge pack of guys in well designed space, led by a Chieftain, under the thundering AA gun.

The Storm is my favorite mission in the entire Halo series, and it's because of how enormously flexible every fight in it is. It's paced well, alternating indoor skirmishes with open vehicle brawls, and it ends with a fantastic climactic infantry battle. I'm genuinely surprised to see it described as a linear corridor mission. Each encounter offers a large number of ways to approach them; Reach wishes it had any one of its encounters.

Karl2177 said:
The great thing about The Storm is that although it is linear, there are multiple pockets of gameplay. You have to go from one section to the next, but there are many different ways you can play in the sections. The Scarab section, the AA Writhes(both segments), the hallways, and the AA Gun section all play differently and there are multiple ways to play all of them.
I like how you said everything I wanted to say, but more clearly and with 1/4 the words. Jerk.

Zeouterlimits said:
How do you feel about Long Night of Solace?
In what way? As they compare to Tsavo Highway and The Storm or as a level in general?

It's a pretty exciting level. The first part is exciting in that you land right in the middle of a battle, but hardly any combat actually takes place. The second part you're fighting in space but you're not really moving at all; it's a Firefight space level. The last part is how combat in a space ship should be done, or at least, as fun as you can make it.

But I'd still put it below Tsavo Highway and The Storm. Both are very good at what they do: big, sprawling vehicle battles broken up by fascinating on-foot combat. Excellent pacing in both.

Dear 343, please look to Halo 3 for Halo 4's encounter design.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
In what way? As they compare to Tsavo Highway and The Storm or as a level in general?

It's a pretty exciting level. The first part is exciting in that you land right in the middle of a battle, but hardly any combat actually takes place. The second part you're fighting in space but you're not really moving at all; it's a Firefight space level. The last part is how combat in a space ship should be done, or at least, as fun as you can make it.
Long Night of Solace really feels like more than the sum of its parts. The initial beach fight is well crafted but incredibly brief, the space section as you said is Firefight in Space, right down to the wave announcements. The interior of the ship is very small, with the trek from the hanger to the bridge feeling brief to the point of being perfunctory. I think it adds up a fun, diverse and quick mission, and I like the story the three parts tell. But that's not enough to crack the upper tier of Halo missions.

I'd say Tsavo Highway and The Storm are better than every level in Reach aside from maybe, maybe, New Alexandria.
The thing I like about New Alexandria - which romped for today's Challenge - is that there is no direct analog in the past games. Most Halo missions by now fall neatly into categories - the sniper mission, the wide tube Warthog mission, ect. -and Miller basically said, screw that, I'm going offroad. And it's much for that reason that I enjoy it so much.

Top Bottom