• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

feel

Ramirez said:
Ended up playing Halo 3 most of the night tonight, and while it has its own issues, it's so much more fun than Reach.

This was actually like the first time in a week I had played regular non TU Reach, and it's almost unplayable for me now. Stuff like melee bleed through alone makes the game so much more enjoyable, let alone playing with no bloom.
+1 Like

Risen

I've always been an MLG player first... even before I found MLG I preferred the exact style of play they market.

Having said that... there is a HUGE warm fuzzy feeling every single time I splatter someone in a vehicle.

I don't care what vehicle... but rank of fun for me:

Chopper
Ghost
Hog w/ or w/out a gunner

I ran around in the Reach Hog last night for perhaps the 3rd time ever on Tempest splattering people with no gunner, in reverse even, then nabbed whatever the 10 wheelmen in a row streak is... and I cried from giggling like a school girl the entire time.

Stats and competition be damned... that shit is fun.

Now back to MLG...

Tunavi

Banned
So my roommate and I were on campus, we had an hour to kill, so we went to the computer lab and played the Halo 1 demo. I did a speed test and we had a 50 mbps download speed. Holy shit, it was awesome. My shots actually registered and it was glorious. I think I went 25 and 4.

So vehicle balance didn't make it into the TU (more specifically, Banshee balance). While I hope it's near the top of the list for any hypothetical TU2, I think I can see why it was dropped for the changes we DID get in TU1.

Bloom affects the core gunplay in the game. Armor Lock and Camo affect almost all Reach/AA gametypes. Adding in the CE pistol silences many of CEA's detractors. Sword blocking is a bit surprising, but maybe that was an easier fix to include.

As for some of the things we didn't get:

- Movement Inertia Change: I'd be very surprised if this is even possible with a TU, at least with the techniques they seem to be using. Might just have to deal with it and move on.

- Fall Damage Removal: I'm okay with this missing TU1. It really only affected Headlong and I don't think the map will suffer as much as a map designed WITH fall damage in mind suddenly being played WITHOUT it (i.e. Tombstone in Halo 2). Really I can't think of any other map in Reach that desperately needs fall damage removed, so it might not even be worth the effort required.

- Vehicle Balance/Health: Only affects Timberland and Headlong as far as CEA is concerned. Gunplay needed more immediate attention.

- Banshee Balance (Nerf this, buff that): Only affects Headlong in CEA. And take a big grain of salt here, but what if Headlong's .map has a "Heretic Banshee" in the same way Avalanche from H3 had Transport Hornets?

Keep the normal Banshee as a Forge object too, that way players can still use the Reach version of the vehicle if they want to (for some ungodly reason). Later, when/if TU2 fixes Banshee balance across all of Reach you can replace Headlong's default Heretic version with the normal Reach one and the vehicle characteristics will be determined by the gametype (the same way that the new bloom and armor lock/camo settings will be).

Farooq

Banned
thezerofire said:
lol well so do I so someone has to help both of us.

I can do it. lol. If you are being serious.

I have mine in Team Slayer. But, if you have your highest skill in another playlist it's cool.

ElRenoRaven

Tunavi said:
So my roommate and I were on campus, we had an hour to kill, so we went to the computer lab and played the Halo 1 demo. I did a speed test and we had a 50 mbps download speed. Holy shit, it was awesome. My shots actually registered and it was glorious. I think I went 25 and 4.

See. When it's a great host the games are crystal smooth. That's honestly why I think Halo 1 PC got so much undeserved hate. It requires a beefy damn connection.

senador

Banned
ncsuDuncan said:
- Fall Damage Removal: I'm okay with this missing TU1. It really only affected Headlong and I don't think the map will suffer as much as a map designed WITH fall damage in mind suddenly being played WITHOUT it (i.e. Tombstone in Halo 2). Really I can't think of any other map in Reach that desperately needs fall damage removed, so it might not even be worth the effort required.

So, maybe I am the only one but I like fall damage. I think if you are going to jump from something high enough there ought to be a consequence. I also like the stun. I don't see why this should be removed.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Tunavi said:
I don't really believe you. Massive download speed isn't going to change the fact that even if you have ping in the single digits, the server isn't keeping up the data and you'll have to lead your shots. Nothing will ever change that. The netcode is designed for badness, and we can all blame Microsoft for that.

Farooq said:
I can do it. lol. If you are being serious.

I have mine in Team Slayer. But, if you have your highest skill in another playlist it's cool.
I think I'm a 44 in TS. I had a 47 in SWAT when I could consistently pull host, but I think that's lower now, and a 46 in Snipes, but I can't sniper for shit anymore, so TS would probably be best.

Tunavi

Banned
Lyphen said:
I don't really believe you. Massive download speed isn't going to change the fact that even if you have ping in the single digits, the server isn't keeping up the data and you'll have to lead your shots. Nothing will ever change that. The netcode is designed for badness, and we can all blame Microsoft for that.
Well it was the only time I've had fun playing Halo PC online and I was on a beast connection. So I don't know what to tell you.

Risen

Tunavi said:

DL bandwidth has little to nothing to do with your shot registration on others... latency and upload do.

Tawpgun

Lyphen said:
If he was host he'd have 0 ping.

As the resident Halo PC veteran. I'd agree with you. But everyone that played Halo PC just equated dealing with ping skill. All of my clan matches were played Snipers no Shields on Blood Gulch or AR/Pistol on Blood Gulch. Power weapons and vehicles were considered to be against the honor code among the skilled players.

We joke about Halo Honor here but it was an actual real thing in Halo PC.

A27 Tawpgun said:
We joke about Halo Honor here but it was an actual real thing in Halo PC.
Don't forget Halo 2 customs lolol. Aww man, I remember the arguments caused by either myself or one of my friends when playing system link. Ain't that right ZalinKrow? :p

ncsuDuncan said:
- Banshee Balance (Nerf this, buff that): Only affects Headlong in CEA. And take a big grain of salt here, but what if Headlong's .map has a "Heretic Banshee" in the same way Avalanche from H3 had Transport Hornets?
Don't tease me like this.

Tawpgun

Hydranockz said:
Don't forget Halo 2 customs lolol. Aww man, I remember the arguments caused by either myself or one of my friends when playing system link. Ain't that right ZalinKrow? :p
Damn kids these days don't know about Halo Honor. Got all these gametype restrictions and soft kills and shit.

*feels old despite being only 18*

A27_StarWolf said:
So I couldn't make coop campaign last night, how did it go?

Booshka, Moonman, and I first tried on Winter Contingency and failed because theres so much down time with scripting. Then we tried Sword Base and cleared that without too much trouble.

Gui_PT

Letters said:
Me. I'll play a couple of games before leaving for my brothers house to watch the portugal game.

Sweet. Did you see the news about Ricardo Carvalho leaving? Wut a girl.

We needs more people for H3!

A27 Tawpgun said:
Damn kids these days don't know about Halo Honor. Got all these gametype restrictions and soft kills and shit.

Only 18? Woooah... I figured you were older, maybe 21 at least lol. Same with Nutter isn't he quite young too? Or one of them TJ folks.

Man, some of the stupid stuff we did on Headlong way back when lol.

Retro

Bleh, I keep putting off doing the Weekly, and I really could use the points since I haven't played in forever. Anyone still need to do the Co-op Heroic Challenge? GT is "Retrogames" and I'll be on in a couple minutes.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
A27 Tawpgun said:

bKZDC.png

While you were sucking on your mother's teet I was dong blaining foes and was strafing so good that it made Michael Jackson look like a bad dancer.

Gui_PT

Retro said:
Bleh, I keep putting off doing the Weekly, and I really could use the points since I haven't played in forever. Anyone still need to do the Co-op Heroic Challenge? GT is "Retrogames" and I'll be on in a couple minutes.

I got it but I can get on to help. Interested?

TheOddOne

Gui_PT said:
The hell does that mean? Since when is there a Hivemind on HaloGAF? We are always disagreeing with eachother. I only asked that because it feels like he always has the opposite idea of what most people have on everything.
People who play Halo all think its the greatest franchise ever. There is no middle person.

Retro said:
You can just plug in a second controller and do the forklift thing on Nightfall if you really want

Tawpgun

Haters gonna hate at my young youthful energy and promise.

I vow to never let old age get in the way of donging on Halo 27

senador

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
Haters gonna hate at my young youthful energy and promise.

I vow to never let old age get in the way of donging on Halo 27

Just marry a cool person. Real wives don't control your life. I've been married since before Reach came out and I still have 3500ish games.

TheOddOne

senador said:
Just marry a cool person. Real wives don't control your life. I've been married since before Reach came out and I still have 3500ish games.
There all cool when your dating, but when you put a ring on it then you can kiss your ass goodbuy.

Tawpgun

senador said:
My wife will be trained extensively on the Halos. My kids will learn to 4/5 shot before they can lift their heads.

kylej

Banned
Plywood said:
While you were sucking on your mother's teet I was dong blaining foes and was strafing so good that it made Michael Jackson look like a bad dancer.

I strafed my way out of the womb and 4-shot the doctor who delivered me. I was pro when prenatal, motherfucker.

senador

Banned
TheOddOne said:
There all cool when your dating, but when you put a ring on it then you can kiss your ass goodbuy.

Not true at all. If that happens the wife is being controlling or you are being a pussy. :p You just have to be reasonable back. I'm sure kids could throw that off, but I don't have those.

Anyway, not here to give marriage advice, just saying marry a good one. ;)

Top Bottom