• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Karl2177 said:
Is regular Slayer in the TU Beta playlist 85%? I don't like it.

Yes

Before the release of the update, Frankie said no bloom would spread to other playlists depending on its popularity. If that's the case, I don't think it's being given a fair shot in a community that is largely ignorant of different gametypes and simply opts for slayer on the voting screen. I mean, it doesn't even inform the player what ZB stands for on the voting screen. Instead of an info screen detailing the changes, we've had the Bungie day message???

Plus ZB has barely appeared in the handful of games I played today (and that includes after 'none of the above').

The hopper needs to be split into ZB and 85% playlists, with Premium credit payouts to encourage the population to play it.

NOKYARD

Falagard

Ken said:
Your proposed system works in Gears because Gears is round based, allowing for map control resets and an opportunity for your replacement teammates to play a round from the start.

Halo has many round based game types, such as Objective games, which could use a solution to quitters just as much as slayer based games. And even for game type that are one round, I don't see the problem for players joining mid-game. Power weapons reset already on a timer, and well designed maps have a give and take with map control locations.

As for bots, regardless of their effectiveness, it's just not as satisfying killing a bot versus a real player, at least for me.

Obviously fighting real players is more fun. However, bots are temporary replacements while waiting for real players to join.

Ken said:
Your proposed system works in Gears because Gears is round based, allowing for map control resets and an opportunity for your replacement teammates to play a round from the start.

As for bots, regardless of their effectiveness, it's just not as satisfying killing a bot versus a real player, at least for me.
It's not meant to be. It's just a way of keeping the game going, instead of having players constantly dropping out.

I'll say it: I'm a supporter of bots for Halo 4.

NOKYARD said:
Did you miss my Puerto Drinks, Palma, España post?

I believe the map in question is actually 2 (or more) overlaid maps. If Puerto Drinks is indeed one of the locations you could remove that portion of the map (the coastlines are similar) to help determine the other location(s).

Let me know if this helps.
Bungie's next game is an MMO taking place in Space Spain. Believe.

NOKYARD said:
Did you miss my Puerto Drinks, Palma, España post?

I believe the map in question is actually 2 (or more) overlaid maps. If Puerto Drinks is indeed one of the locations you could remove that portion of the map (the coastlines are similar) to help determine the other location(s).

Let me know if this helps.

No worries, I saw your post. :) "Puerto Drinks" sounds like nothing more than a bar in the town of Palma. The Destiny map seems to indicate the name of the entire port is "Puerto Drin-??". I compared the coastlines and didn't see any strong resemblances.

You could be right about using real-world coastlines for the map, but I think it's more likely that the terrain is original. I wouldn't be surprised if the area shown on this map was in the actual game.

Thanks for the ideas and help though, the more people we have inspecting these clues the more stuff we'll figure out! DEEP NNN over at HBO suggested that the numbers in the water are most likely depth soundings as found on most nautical charts. Makes sense to me.

Karl2177

So far from what I've played, 85% still isn't fun. I'm currently in a 1 Flag Powerhouse game that has been the opposite of enjoyable.

EDIT: Active Camo in ZB gametypes is crap, because they can now get more shots on target while remaining invisible.

daedalius

Karl2177 said:
So far from what I've played, 85% still isn't fun. I'm currently in a 1 Flag Powerhouse game that has been the opposite of enjoyable.

EDIT: Active Camo in ZB gametypes is crap, because they can now get more shots on target while remaining invisible.

Kinda wish they would just make sprint standard and bring back pickups for stuff like that, overshield/camo etc.

Sorry I can't talk/ am not playing well today to everyone in my party at the moment. Running off of little sleep and my roommate is still sleeping.

Awesome Barlow said:
Sorry I can't talk/ am not playing well today to everyone in my party at the moment. Running off of little sleep and my roommate is still sleeping.

Sounds like your roommate has the right idea.

:p

RBK

Banned
Playing with no bloom makes me realize how much it does suck. I mean I never really had a problem with to begin with except the few times I felt like I didn't get kills because of it, but man the DMR feels great now.

I think if they were to move the player speed and jump height back to how it was on Halo 3, I'll be in love with Reach.

ElRenoRaven

You know what. I've come to a realization. One I've been denying since Reach came out. I simply hate the DMR and feel that it has ruined Halo's gameplay for me.

When it's in the game it becomes a game of sit across the map and shoot each other without ever getting near each other. To me that isn't Halo. It doesn't help that in Reach power weapons aka sniper rifle spawn every 5 seconds and you have multiple snipers set up never running out of ammo. It just sucks all the damn fun out of the game for me. Hell even the BR from Halo 2 and 3 was more balanced.

The DMR just breaks Halo for me. With that said I'll just shut up now.

Karl2177

Awesome Barlow said:
I don't mind. I was eating a bagel half of the last game. :lol

Awesome Barlow said:
Haha probably so.

OT but anyone else pumped for the iPhone announcement today?
Yessir

PsychoRaven said:
You know what. I've come to a realization. One I've been denying since Reach came out. I simply hate the DMR and feel that it has ruined Halo's gameplay for me.

When it's in the game it becomes a game of sit across the map and shoot each other without ever getting near each other. To me that isn't Halo. It doesn't help that in Reach power weapons aka sniper rifle spawn every 5 seconds and you have multiple snipers set up never running out of ammo. It just sucks all the damn fun out of the game for me. Hell even the BR from Halo 2 and 3 was more balanced.

The DMR just breaks Halo for me. With that said I'll just shut up now.
That was always my issue with the DMR, I hated that it was the Sniper Rifle Jr. in terms of range. Adjust the pistol to match DMR's speed and remove the nerfle/DMR entirely. Do it 343! I believe!

Striker

I do like the 85% bloom and ZB stuff. The Pistol moreso than any other. I played kylej's bro Booties in two games, one was an Oddball at Asylum and another was Slayer on Countdown. He tried a little Sword rushing, but he met my Pistol. :p

Also, the gametypes for "objective" in there... 3 Flag? Speedflag? Really?

daedalius said:
Kinda wish they would just make sprint standard and bring back pickups for stuff like that, overshield/camo etc.
I'd wait for CEA's playlists, at least with the Classic map setups.

ElRenoRaven

Rickenslacker said:
That was always my issue with the DMR, I hated that it was the Sniper Rifle Jr. in terms of range. Adjust the pistol to match DMR's speed and remove the nerfle/DMR entirely. Do it 343! I believe!

It really is. I've been trying the TU update today and it just turns into everyone sitting on their side of the map taking shots at each other and if you remotely try to move around the map you're a dead man before you can even remotely fight back. The one game that I enjoyed was just default slayer on countdown. No DMR starts. No sniper Rifle. We moved around the map and fought each other and it was fun. It was a nice close game too. The others were larger maps and everyone would just sit and shoot from across the map and not move. When a couple of us would try to the second we stepped out from cover bam shot from across the map with DMRs.

Ugh. Like I said I'll just shut up now. I'm sure those who love the weapon and the gameplay like that don't want to see me bitch.

Tunavi

Banned
Reach Beta Hoppers, BF3 Beta, Portal 2 free DLC/$15 sale, Crysis Console, Uncharted 3 multiplayer release, Rage, Dark Souls...Crazy week for gaming.

Ken

Falagard said:
Halo has many round based game types, such as Objective games, which could use a solution to quitters just as much as slayer based games. And even for game type that are one round, I don't see the problem for players joining mid-game. Power weapons reset already on a timer, and well designed maps have a give and take with map control locations.

Obviously fighting real players is more fun. However, bots are temporary replacements while waiting for real players to join.

Power weapon resets are "controlled" by the player though. As long as red holds onto blue team's sniper, blue team won't have any sniper rifle to counter red team's own respawning sniper rifle. With weapons like the Energy Sword and the sniper rifle, you can hold on to those for a long enough time to increase your team's lead on the other team, which happens a lot on Countdown and Sword Base.

As for bots, sure, they are temporary replacements for real players in an ideal environment. If you have 133 players in Team Objective though, it might take a little bit before you can get those replacement players and in that time anything can happen, like losing control of the map to the opposite team.

Just my ideas though.

In TU Beta with Devin and neoism, if anyone wants to join as a fourth. I need to go in about 30 minutes though.

Edit: Jetpack on Zealots. Boo.

Blinding

I just got 6 random stars at the top of my map list. 343, stop being a tease.

20qc8jq.jpg

Had more fun playing Reach today than I have in quite some time.

While 85% bloom is a significant improvement, ZB just feels right to me. When I lose a close range DMR battle now I'm fully aware that it had more to do with my questionable aim and strafing skills as opposed to the vanilla bloom deciding whether or not my shots should register. Still frustrating but at least I know that I wasn't cheated.

I would really like to see the TU Beta divided into 2 playlists (standard 85% bloom and ZB).

daedalius

Wow, ZB slayer is pretty crazy, but I like it.

Don't know how ZB would work on BTB, might be kinda broken there; but I mean it would be kind of analogous to Halo2 right? The BR in that was hitscan with little spread... I never seemd to have to much of a problem. I wonder if they could change the DMR to a 2x zoom instead of 3x, that might make it better for BTB and other big maps.

Really like how the new bleed-through on melee works now, much better than what they did before; it actually makes sense.

Armor lock is still annoying, but not quite as bad.

The excitement for Crysis made me totally forget about the beta hoppers!

I'm definitely going to play when I get off work (in 8 hours). :(

BigShow36

The frustration of wading through 85% bloom gametypes is too much for me to have any desire to play the beta hoppers. Give us a 100% ZB playlist (Slayer and Objective) and I would love it.

Havok

daedalius said:
Don't know how ZB would work on BTB, might be kinda broken there; but I mean it would be kind of analogous to Halo2 right? The BR in that was hitscan with little spread... I never seemd to have to much of a problem.
There was a hard cap on BR range, the 2x scope didn't allow for BTB crossmapping, you didn't get aim assist at range, and burst firing at long range moving targets inherently limits its effectiveness. ZB DMR is totally busted on large maps, and scope changes or a projectile dropoff point don't seem to be in the cards. Unfortunate, but understandable.

daedalius

Havok said:
There was a hard cap on BR range, the 2x scope didn't allow for BTB crossmapping, you didn't get aim assist at range, and burst firing at long range moving targets inherently limits its effectiveness. ZB DMR is totally busted on large maps, and scope changes or a projectile dropoff point don't seem to be in the cards. Unfortunate, but understandable.

So basically they just need to bring back the H2 BR ;) I'd be happy with that, haha.

I wonder if the Anniversary playlist is just going to be the best thing to happen, where we will get a 2x, RoF capped, 3sk pistol of death, and DMRs won't even spawn on those maps. It seems like they have put a lot of effort into the new pistol, I'm sure it will be a prominent feature in multiplayer.

Booshka

343 should have put a couple ZBS games in the MLG playlist, would have been sweet to play MLG settings with zero bloom and bleedthrough in MM. Would have been a sweet surprise for MLG regulars.

GhaleonEB

daedalius said:
Wow, ZB slayer is pretty crazy, but I like it.

Don't know how ZB would work on BTB, might be kinda broken there; but I mean it would be kind of analogous to Halo2 right? The BR in that was hitscan with little spread... I never seemd to have to much of a problem. I wonder if they could change the DMR to a 2x zoom instead of 3x, that might make it better for BTB and other big maps.
It would help. The DMR has about twice the range and twice the ammo capacity as the Halo 2 BR. My take from HaloFest was that zero bloom wouldn't work in BTB, but I have not had the chance to test it out. Zero bloom DMRs felt great on small maps.

Havok said:
Yup, this all around.

GECK

GT in profile if anyone needs someone decent for TU beta. I'll be poopsocking all week.

GhaleonEB said:
It would help. The DMR has about twice the range and twice the ammo capacity as the Halo 2 BR. My take from HaloFest was that zero bloom wouldn't work in BTB, but I have not had the chance to test it out. Zero bloom DMRs felt great on small maps.

Big team was already a joke especially with Reach's sniper being trivial to use. It won't be as dominant if someone can crossmap ya with ease; which is a good thing. If both teams can ZB with the dmr then I don't really see a problem.

A couple more observations.

85% bloom and melee bleedthrough should be the standard for vanilla Reach. It just may indeed be that sweet spot.

Can't stress enough how good ZB feels. What actually surprises me is how much it balances out the rest of the sandbox and with the faster kill times you really have to earn your kills with power weapons more than ever before.

But alas there are some things that the TU can't fix.

Jetpack loadouts on Uncaged still blows.
Rocket spawns on Uncaged still blows.
Even with ZB Uncaged still blows.
Uncaged still blows.

Oh and **** armor lock. Keep that **** in Team Slayer where it belongs.

Striker

I wonder how the ZB Pistol would do in BTB. It can't destroy vehicles fast, it has a limited distance, and it's 2x zoom. The weapon is a damn blast to use in the TU Beta playlist, though. I should note the Pistol in 85% is also a good weapon - people running around with DMR's getting beaten by a Pistol reminds me of the beta.

Also saw 2 Flag Slayer, I lol'd. No 2-flag or 2-bomb in the playlist I guess. :(

ElRenoRaven

Striker said:
I wonder how the ZB Pistol would do in BTB. It can't destroy vehicles fast, it has a limited distance, and it's 2x zoom. The weapon is a damn blast to use in the TU Beta playlist, though.

Also saw 2 Flag Slayer, I lol'd. No 2-flag or 2-bomb in the playlist I guess. :(

I think that would be a good thing. If anything I'd replace the BR with the pistol. I think the game would be a hell of a lot more balanced that way.

feel

kylej said:
so did 343 really pull a Shishka and have zero bloom show up like 1/20 times? C'mon son.
This is a beta mostly for the new and only slightly different vanilla Reach where bloom will have a strong presence, not the Classic/zerobloom stuff. They announced how it would be in a bulletin like 2 weeks ago, I think I was the only one who was disappointed everyone else just went "fuck yea can't wait". :|

This beta and the removal of Team Classic from MM killed my hopes for a Halo 2 style playlist with the awesome settings we were playing on customs since I highly doubt they will be dropping two new styles of Classic (fast movement, no AAs) simultaneously out of nowhere during the CEA launch and will just go for the Halo 1 stuff with the very fast pistol kills.

daedalius

xxxstylzxxx said:
85% bloom and melee bleedthrough should be the standard for vanilla Reach. It just may indeed be that sweet spot.

I think that is the idea isn't it? Just for the whole of the title update.

I hope 85% and bleedthrough go through to regular Reach... then the classic playlists can just have crazy 3sk pistol madness.

If they don't I imagine the classic playlists will swell quite dramatically.

Striker

Letters said:
This beta and the removal of Team Classic from MM killed my hopes for a Halo 2 style playlist with the awesome settings we were playing on customs since I highly doubt they will be dropping two new styles of Classic (fast movement, no AAs) simultaneously out of nowhere during the CEA launch and will just go for the Halo 1 stuff with the very fast pistol kills.
My main hope for the Classic playlist once the CEA hoppers debut is no bloom, no AA's, and the appropriate OS/invis placements on the map with a Pistol start. It immediately eliminates the bogus stuff like Camo dudes out of nowhere, rejecting grenades, and cross-mapping DMR's of no bloom. We'll see, I suppose. Oh, and uh, let's not have 2 Flag Slayer, Speedflag, and 3 Flag appear in future stuff. Fringe gametypes, yo.

Top Bottom