• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

daedalius

ncsuDuncan said:
That would be great, but I don't think the 2x zoom can be done with a TU.

They can't change the UI, which I assume means:
- We can't decrease the DMR zoom.
- We can't increase the pistol magazine size. (And turn it into a 2x DMR.)

Of course, they could always prove me wrong. Maybe use the Pistol zoom UI for the DMR, but that sounds really complicated.

Maybe it's nostalgia talking, but I think a Halo 3 BR with Reach's hitscan and netcode would be the best weapon for the role. Fingers crossed for one in Halo 4. Bullet spread seems like the best way to limit the range.

As for Reach, if they can change the Reach Pistol's RoF to make it into the 3sk CEA Pistol I assume they could do the same for the DMR.

A RoF-capped 0% bloom DMR would be nice, even if it still had the 3x zoom.

Cue Frankie coming in to tell us "we can"
That would be nice ;)

Although it wouldn't surprise me if they just leave the DMR off maps in classic and just have pistol spawns. Would be interesting.

feel

bobs99 ... said:
Im not sure what 343 plans to achieve with this beta playlist. Maybe they explained it in the Sparkcast? Essentially the playlists are kind of flawed. They have put uneven weighting on it all. Despite liking 85% bloom I would rather play more games of 0 bloom. Are they looking at voteing data? 0 bloom pops up a lot less than 85% bloom so already that’s flawed.
They need to completely redo matchmaking for Halo 4. People need to play what they want to play.

Also I need to say it again, the way they've handled the wait for the multiplayer ecosystem refresh on Nov15 has left a lot to be desired. The feel of uncertainty of what to expect is really annoying. This beta seems like it's only making it worst.

Can we please get some disclosure on the general layout of matchmaking from Nov15 forward and then save the details as surprises for later?

Havok said:
Save it for Halo 4. Don't tarnish my memories of Terminal with Reach.
I honestly fist pumped when Frankie said no current gen remakes because The Pit would be safe from a legacy tainting Reach remake.

Booshka

wwm0nkey said:
If there is a Halo 2 map pack it wont be till Halo 4 or Halo 5 (preferably 5)

Also a few people on GAF came up with some really nice settings, though I forget who had the v2 settings on their fileshare.
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23870783&player=Booshka

Here is my version, very similar to the first one, with a few tweaks. Jump is lower and damage resistance is tweaked to nerf nades and rockets a bit, while also reducing some bleedthrough issues that were present on default damage. I suggest playing these on MLG maps, just remove the AA's, keep the powerups on. It'll play a little bit more like Halo 2 that way. The maps are also good for the speed and jump settings because they were designed with 110 jump in mind.

I might get on in a bit, been playing Dark Souls. Just started it, but liking it so far, haven't gotten murdered and reset yet, so maybe when that happens I'll take a break and play some Halo.

I think 85 % feels a bit better, but zero bloom feels like true halo. Excluding the pistol because you do not even need to aim that thing in zero bloom. Still, this playlist is the most fun I've had in Halo in a while. Too bad that my two friends who are playing with me right now aren't very good. :/

ncsuDuncan said:
I think you misunderstood my post. When I said "Slayer gametypes", that was for the Classic Slayer playlist only. Not normal Team Slayer.

No mixing of zero bloom and bloom at all. The entire playlist would be zero bloom (unless you hold down the trigger on the 3sk pistol, but who does that?)

This is exactly what I was suggesting, if you combine the two classic playlists and separate 1 and 2 at the gametype level.

I think all of the Classic playlists should be DLC/CEA required. There's no sense in making one for people that only have the Reach disc maps, if you want to play Classic either buy CEA or get the Classic DLC.

Yes, I certainly did, my apologies. I got confused with your post talking about the 85% bloom. I still think they should be separate playlists, but that's mostly because I just want an Anniversary playlist all to itself.

Also, having one playlist not DLC required gets people without DLC a chance to play zero bloom goodness.

wwm0nkey

UnlovedJew said:
I think 85 % feels a bit better, but zero bloom feels like true halo. Excluding the pistol because you do not even need to aim that thing in zero bloom. Still, this playlist is the most fun I've had in Halo in a while. Too bad that my two friends who are playing with me right now aren't very good. :/
That one line says it all really

Fathead

It was nice to put the Halo: Reach disc in and feel like I was playing Halo, not Reach. I felt like if I got the first shot off, I was going to win the duel unless the other guy is much, much better than I am.

The 85% is better than what we've been playing, but ZB is awesome. I would like to see some more in between, just to see if there is a middle ground that makes everything flow perfectly (good god the needle rifle is a beast with ZB).

I played enough of matches to give a bit feedback now.

-Zero Bloom is a great gametype. It makes a lot of fun to play it. But I wish a few changes: Pistol should be handled as a power weapon. Like previous post said, spamming get you kills easily. The only AA should be sprint. Jetpack gives you a bit advantage and Armour lock. Forget that thing. :^( Give us some real TO gametypes please. :^( I only saw Neutral Assault once. :^(

- I can see a bit of changes with 85% bloom. But I'm just curious, is there a possibility to try out 75% bloom, 50% bloom etc.?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Tunavi said:
some of us have lives

inb4kyles overused go pro joke
My last matchmade game before the TU was on September 8th. Get at me.

Also pistol should be removed from ZB, but that's clearly a given but hey let's keep it in anyway!

The playlist setup gets really complicated when you take into account the different map configurations players could have:

Reach Only
Reach + Noble
Reach + Defiant
Reach + Noble + Defiant
CEA Only
Reach + CEA
Reach + Noble + CEA
Reach + Noble + Defiant + CEA

Eight different configurations! Currently, any playlist that requires DLC needs both Noble and Defiant, so we can simplify:

Reach Only
Reach + Noble/Defiant
CEA Only
Reach + CEA
Reach + Noble/Defiant + CEA

Which still leaves us with five different configurations to accomodate.

What if the CEA Map Pack download for Reach included the Noble and Defiant maps? The maps wouldn't be a separate free download for anyone, they'd just be included in your purchase of the Classic Maps (either through XBL Marketplace or through the code in the CEA box). That would bring us down to four different setups

Reach Only
Reach + Noble/Defiant
CEA Only
Reach + Noble/Defiant/CEA

Then if you phase out the Reach + Noble/Defiant setup you could pare it down to just three configurations (and couldn't simplify it any further).

Reach Only
CEA Only
Reach + Noble/Defiant/CEA

It's a delicate balance of keeping the number of playlists within reason without locking DLC customers out of certain playlists because they only bought some of the DLC and not all of it.

Steelyuhas said:
Also, having one playlist not DLC required gets people without DLC a chance to play zero bloom goodness.
Zero Bloom Slayer - 4v4 playlist, Reach disc required, DLC optional. Just like SWAT.

But all of the Classic playlists should be DLC required, with Reach maps optional. Look at the old Team Classic playlist and take away High Noon, Hydra XIII, and Noble Creek. There isn't enough left to justify a playlist for people only using the Reach disc.

JonCha

wwm0nkey said:
No, it should be an on map weapon
No, it should have a slower fire rate.

Anyway, changes are very good and ate massive improvements for Reach. The BS is almost conpletg gone, though my old habits from vanilla Reach are screwing everything up.

Letters said:
HBO staff got invited in to play Halo 4?? :-O
LMAO.

I'm serious. This is what Reach should've been like from the beginning. I could see myself losing days of my life to the new-and-improved Reach. No joke.

Havok

Shield regen time needs to be cut down. Being killed faster than ever and being two-shot even after crouching down for five seconds is nuts.

wwm0nkey

Havok said:
Shield regen time needs to be cut down. Being killed faster than ever and being two-shot even after crouching down for five seconds is nuts.
If there is a TU2 this NEEDS to happen. you can change how fast your shields recharge, just not when they start recharging.

Sai-kun said:
Every game I get into, I get kicked from and it restarts the search. Countdown is the only map that will load. Wtf.
Scratching Gaga lyrics into the disc will not solve bloom, I told you to wait for the TU!

So guys. The sparkast revealed that there will be 3 BtS and a trailer for Halo: CEA(?). What do you guys want to see? Which content?

I'm hoping that one BtS deals with the creation of the Terminals. We have already seen two (unfortunately) but I would be happy to see how Sequence creates them. :)

Hitmonchan107 said:
LMAO.

I'm serious. This is what Reach should've been like from the beginning. I could see myself losing days of my life to the new-and-improved Reach. No joke.

Please dont say that. 343 will think the quality bar really is this low lol. I will hand it to you that this is a ton better than defualt Reach but now please give us just one gametype that resembles the classic settings so we can give proper feedback. The numerous other problems with Reach are still there even if bloom is gone.

Got to say I love damage bleed through. Its awesome.

ElRenoRaven

Hypertrooper said:
So guys. The sparkast revealed that there will be 3 BtS and a trailer for Halo: CEA(?). What do you guys want to see? Which content?

I'm hoping that one BtS deals with the creation of the Terminals. We have already seen two (unfortunately) but I would be happy to see how Sequence creates them. :)

None. I'm going dark when it comes to Anniversary now. It's too close and I don't want to see the whole damn game before it comes out. I've already seen what two levels will look like and would like the rest to be a surprise.

Hypertrooper said:
We MUST play Halo this weekend. I'm counting on YOU and DUNCAN.
I'll try to get on this weekend. No promises though; I'm staying at a friend's house but he does have an Xbox.

wwm0nkey said:
If there is a TU2 this NEEDS to happen. you can change how fast your shields recharge, just not when they start recharging.

Yeah, I think my TU2 wishlist right now in order of importance would be:

- Player momentum decrease/removal.
- Grenade nerf (either adjust damage independently of weapons, or adjust the fuse characteristics)
- Banshee nerf
- Vehicle damage adjustment
- Shield recharge delay for Classic.
- Bugfixes (Revenant headshot glitch, Gauss Hog Forge object glitch, etc.)

Lowest priority:

- RoF cap for zero bloom DMR.
- Fall damage removal option for Classic.

Striker

Havok said:
Save it for Halo 4. Don't tarnish my memories of Terminal with Reach.
They already tarnished Lockout and Zanzibar. But yeah, I agree with that.

Strongly curious what 343 decide to do with the CEA playlists. I do not want to go into Headlong 6v6 like Bungie had done with Premiums, and thus hasn't really allowed Highlands to live up to any potential.

Ramirez

Well, I tried 2 games, both with randoms, and both had quitters not even half way through the match, ugh. I'll give it another go tonight if any of my regular crew play it.

Gotta say though, not that impressed, but it's more of a Reach thing, than anything 343 tried to do to fix it. 85% feels slightly better, but it's still bloom, and it's still unsatisfying. You still move and jump like a turtle, the grenades are still too powerful, fall stun is lame, etc. etc.

Oh and Uncaged is still Uncaged, not even ZB can make that map fun. Kinda just got the feeling of the saying "you can't polish a turd", while playing those 2 games, honestly still don't see myself playing much of this until CEA hits with some good maps, and even then I'm not sure how long I'll last.

Oh and the melee is still 2 hits, I guess the Anniversary gametype at PAX was the 3 melee. Anyone know how many hits it takes before a melee will kill you? Coulda swore I took 2 shots earlier at full health/shields, and a melee killed me.

bobs99 ... said:
Please dont say that. 343 will think the quality bar really is this low lol. I will hand it to you that this is a ton better than defualt Reach but now please give us just one gametype that resembles the classic settings so we can give proper feedback. The numerous other problems with Reach are still there even if bloom is gone.

Got to say I love damage bleed through. Its awesome.
Honestly, I'm having more fun with 85 percent bloom than with zero bloom. I just hopped into Big Team Battle, and the difference between new bloom and old bloom is night and day.

My bar for the title update was this: make Reach fun. For me, it's mission accomplished.

Played a few matches of the beta playlist last night.

Uncaged is a piece of shit.

85% Slayer plays like normal slayer, except the DMR is a bit more consistent. Works well enough I guess, but doesn't feel very different.

Zero Bloom Slayer is amazing, until you come up against pistol spammers. Very annoying. At close-medium range, they might as well be firing the shotgun at you.

Team-shotting and long range killing has just become significantly more effective. Very frustrating when you cannot move on the map, because the DMR is so quick and accurate. Moving out behind cover for longer than 0.5 seconds is a death sentence against a decent team. It got to the point last night where I was effectively 'camping' an outdoor area on powerhouse, because as soon as I ventured near the main structures, or the power weapons, it was insta-death. I know that I was camping because a young man on XBL was kind enough to let me know that my parents had raised a sexually-confused camper, whilst commenting on my mother's promiscuity.

Can't say I'm enjoying the new playlists OR Reach at all, lately. But I'll keep at it.

TheOddOne

Rumour: Bungie's next game is "A Faction Based MMOG"
The November 2011 edition of Playstation: Official Magazine UK has landed, providing a wealth of rumors including a particularly interesting tidbit relating to Bungie’s upcoming multiplatform title – reportedly known as ‘Destiny’.

The bulging rumor section sneakily hints that Bungie’s highly anticipated title will ultimately be ”a faction-based MMOG”, corroborating previous reports from TheDailyJoypad – which indicted that the massive multiplayer title will feature four specific factions, each named after trademarks previously filed by Bungie – the names include ‘Seven Seraphs’, ‘New Monarchy’, ‘Osiris’ and ‘Dead Orbit’.

The symbols for the four factions in question were revealed by sources close to the website, with one brazingly appearing on the T-shirt of a bungie employee in their Penny Arcade Video. Take this rumor with a pinch of salt until further confirmation is provided. Check out the full rumor below and in the latest issue of Playstation: Official Magazine UK.

”Uber-developer Bungie’s next game is a faction-based MMOG called Destiny.”
Zayne on suicide alert.

Ramirez said:
Well, I tried 2 games, both with randoms, and both had quitters not even half way through the match, ugh. I'll give it another go tonight if any of my regular crew play it.

Gotta say though, not that impressed, but it's more of a Reach thing, than anything 343 tried to do to fix it. 85% feels slightly better, but it's still bloom, and it's still unsatisfying. You still move and jump like a turtle, the grenades are still too powerful, fall stun is lame, etc. etc.

Oh and Uncaged is still Uncaged, not even ZB can make that map fun. Kinda just got the feeling of the saying "you can't polish a turd", while playing those 2 games, honestly still don't see myself playing much of this until CEA hits with some good maps, and even then I'm not sure how long I'll last.

Oh and the melee is still 2 hits, I guess the Anniversary gametype at PAX was the 3 melee. Anyone know how many hits it takes before a melee will kill you? Coulda swore I took 2 shots earlier at full health/shields, and a melee killed me.

Without better movement, upping the kill times on the DMR feels almost worse in my opinion. And that pistol. Eugh.

Just played on Condemned. Might as well call that gametype Hide and Seek in 4v4.

feel

neoism said:
I miss sprint too Frankie... You know what you must doo? :p :D
What? How can you miss it? It's in fucking everything and will continue being in almost everything for another year because people for some reason adore the feeling of the occasional burst of higher speed instead of constant high speed. Thanks COD.

heckfu

Banned
Devolution said:
Without better movement, upping the kill times on the DMR feels almost worse in my opinion. And that pistol. Eugh.

Just played on Condemned. Might as well call that gametype Hide and Seek in 4v4.

I'm with you woman, need a faster DMR for sure.

Top Bottom