• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

85% feels very similar to 100%. It should be default for Reach matchmaking I think. 100 speed and sprint is just not as fun as 120 no AA's to me. Luckily I'll have the Anniversary playlists that will for sure be my home.

cory021

Neo Member
The only change that 85% does to the DMR is make the 3rd shot and every shot after that a tad more accurate if you're spamming. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Also, the AR hasn't been touched. I was kind of hoping for a slight bloom decrease.

Letters said:
This is a beta mostly for the new and only slightly different vanilla Reach where bloom will have a strong presence, not the Classic/zerobloom stuff. They announced how it would be in a bulletin like 2 weeks ago, I think I was the only one who was disappointed everyone else just went "fuck yea can't wait". :|

This beta and the removal of Team Classic from MM killed my hopes for a Halo 2 style playlist with the awesome settings we were playing on customs since I highly doubt they will be dropping two new styles of Classic (fast movement, no AAs) simultaneously out of nowhere during the CEA launch and will just go for the Halo 1 stuff with the very fast pistol kills.

I will be shocked if the CEA Slayer playlist has the 3sk pistol in every gametype. I imagine our voting options will be more like this:

Classic Slayer - No AAs. Faster movement, higher jump. Faster shield recharge, bleed-through. 85% bloom. AR starts.
Classic Slayer DMRs - Same, but with DMR starts. (Still 85% bloom.)
Classic Slayer Pro - Same, but with the 3sk pistol (Which only blooms if you hold down the trigger).

I don't think Classic will have a DMR with 0% bloom.

ncsuDuncan said:
I will be shocked if the CEA Slayer playlist has the 3sk pistol in every gametype. I imagine our voting options will be more like this:

Classic Slayer - No AAs. Faster movement, higher jump. Faster shield recharge, bleed-through. 85% bloom. AR starts.
Classic Slayer DMRs - Same, but with DMR starts. (Still 85% bloom.)
Classic Slayer Pro - Same, but with the 3sk pistol (Which only blooms if you hold down the trigger).

I don't think Classic will have a DMR with 0% bloom.

There better be an "anniversary" playlist. 4v4, slayer and objective. CE Magnum starts (no DMR or NR's), classic map setups, 120 no AA's, CEA maps required. If that playlist doesn't exist, I won't be playing Reach quite simply.

85% bloom should probably be implemented across the 'default' Reach playlists, no need for it in a classic gametype.

ElRenoRaven

Steelyuhas said:
There better be an "anniversary" playlist. 4v4, slayer and objective. CE Magnum starts (no DMR or NR's), classic map setups, 120 no AA's, CEA maps required. If that playlist doesn't exist, I won't be playing Reach quite simply.

That I can get behind.

Classic maps with all the weapons that should be on them. AR/Magnum start. Power weapons with some proper spawn times and no AA's. That would be pure heaven for me.

daedalius said:
I think that is the idea isn't it? Just for the whole of the title update.

I hope 85% and bleedthrough go through to regular Reach... then the classic playlists can just have crazy 3sk pistol madness.

If they don't I imagine the classic playlists will swell quite dramatically.

Absolutely not. They better not take away my bloom playlists.

With all this shit from the TU they should just add TWO playlists.

1. TU Slayer - A 50/50 split of ZB and 85% (For the TS/BK Kids)
2. TU Objective - Flag, Bomb, Hill. All ZB.

Plus MLG is guaranteed to adopt ZB so you'll have 3 playlists using it.

cory021

Neo Member
I forgot to check, but is the melee 3 hit kill now? I wouldn't mind the bleed through if melee only did minor damage, but it seems to be taking out quite a bit of health.

Ramirez

cory021 said:
I forgot to check, but is the melee 3 hit kill now? I wouldn't mind the bleed through if melee only did minor damage, but it seems to be taking out quite a bit of health.

It was at PAX, dunno about now.

ElRenoRaven

So finally getting around to listening to podcast and I'm so going dark now Halo: Combat evolved wise. I don't want to be spoiled graphics wise any more then I have already.

GhaleonEB

GECK said:
Big team was already a joke especially with Reach's sniper being trivial to use. It won't be as dominant if someone can crossmap ya with ease; which is a good thing. If both teams can ZB with the dmr then I don't really see a problem.
Both teams can cross map right now, and it's already a problem. Allowing players to fire even faster when doing so will really decimate vehicles and even further restrict infantry movement.

I'm not expecting to see zero bloom in BTB, so I'm not concerned, though.

daedalius

Well hopefully they will pay attention to our feedback here to some degree... considering I get massive amounts of errors every time I try to log in and post on the waypoint forums :(

Hopefully we will see these playlists evolve a bit over the next couple of weeks, I'm sure they have easy access to them (at least I'd hope so)

This playlist is aweful. So many quitters. I just ran at the enemy without shooting last game to get it over and done with. The movement just doesnt match the speed of fire. So things just dont work lol.

wwm0nkey

I really really hope there is a Zero Bloom playlist after this. I already know I will not be touching 85% bloom at all. It really doesn't fix the random factor that much.

TheOddOne

wwm0nkey said:
I really really hope there is a Zero Bloom playlist after this. I already know I will not be touching 85% bloom at all. It really doesn't fix the random factor that much.
Yeah, Zero Bloom playlist ftw.

Striker

bobs99 ... said:
This playlist is aweful. So many quitters. I just ran at the enemy without shooting last game to get it over and done with. Im so close to just trading Reach in tbh.
You sound like a joy to play with.

Ramirez

bobs99 ... said:
This playlist is aweful. So many quitters. I just ran at the enemy without shooting last game to get it over and done with. Im so close to just trading Reach in tbh.

Quitting isn't just this playlist, it's awful across the game, and the ban does nothing to deter them, usually just punishes people who get d/cs, like me!

^ He probably meant his teammates quit so he just let them kill them so he could move on. Which is amazing, I hate when one guy just hides for 12 minutes.

daedalius

Ramirez said:
Quitting isn't just this playlist, it's awful across the game, and the ban does nothing to deter them, usually just punishes people who get d/cs, like me!

^ He probably meant his teammates quit so he just let them kill them so he could move on. Which is amazing, I hate when one guy just hides for 12 minutes.

I have to admit, I do enjoy the join-in-progress that is in Space Marine, even if the game is going to end soon. Would mitigate some of the quitting, maybe.

kylej

Banned
bobs99 ... said:

They couldn't pay me enough money to take One of the Greatest FPS Games of All Time off my hands. Sorry for your loss.

Karl2177

Right now I think my ideal settings are:
Zero bloom
75% melee
110% speed
125% jump
150% gravity
Sprint/Holo default + AAs on maps
1x Frag​

Striker said:
You sound like a joy to play with.

Why is that. Me and my friend were not having fun. My friend refused to quit because he wanted the game complete credits. Rather than make my friend go up against 4 people I just thought screw it. I dont care about my K/D, my friend does. Ill sacrifice myself.

I personally think my friend loved me for that game. lol.

I edited my other post a little late but:

The movement just doesnt match the speed of fire. So things just dont work lol.

Anyone else struggling with zero bloom? I think its much much more fun than bloom, but I'm getting worked on the settings. I struggled in the GAF customs with it but I chalked it up to the fact that I haven't been playing the game very much, plus the 120 speed and the zero bloom made the game a bit more difficult and I was just rusty. Today in the playlist, I have destroyed people on 85%, but really struggling in the zero bloom games.

Ramirez

Steelyuhas said:
Anyone else struggling with zero bloom? I think its much much more fun than bloom, but I'm getting worked on the settings. I struggled in the GAF customs with it but I chalked it up to the fact that I haven't been playing the game very much, plus the 120 speed and the zero bloom made the game a bit more difficult and I was just rusty. Today in the playlist, I have destroyed people on 85%, but really struggling in the zero bloom games.

I told you guys ZB would bring the playing field back down to an even line. :p

thezerofire said:
so 85% is basically no better than 100%. Plays essentially exactly the same. And wtf on the AA's.

From the few games I played I kinda liked 85% but I think the sweet spot may be more like 70% At 85% bloom doesnt really kick in enough to screw you up but your still forced to pace. Theres still issues sometimes though.

wwm0nkey

thezerofire said:
so 85% is basically no better than 100%. Plays essentially exactly the same. And wtf on the AA's.
Yep, bloom should honestly just be removed, I just can't see myself playing this game for much longer with any form of bloom in it to be very honest. Love Halo and will 100% be buying Halo 4 (paid off already) but I just can't deal with this bloom shit anymore.

I REALLY hate bloom, when I feel like I didnt earn a kill there is a problem, just keep it to Zero Bloom and make the pistol as an on map weapon.

wwm0nkey

thezerofire said:
Honestly the only fun game I played was Zero Bloom. Everything else was just more Reach BS.
Pretty much.

Don't want to sound to harsh but I really really just can not stand bloom anymore, after experiencing Zero Bloom I just want it to stay that way.

Actually, the more I think about it... you guys are right. The faster movement speed of the Classic gametypes would make even 85% bloom frustrating.

I still don't think the 3sk pistol will be in every gametype. Here's my revised preference:

Playlist-wide Classic settings
No AAs.
Faster movement, higher jump, higher gravity.
Faster shield recharge, reduced melee damage.
Possibly tweak damage/resistance to nerf grenades?
Bleed-through ON.
0% bloom.

Slayer Gametypes
Classic Slayer - AR start, no secondary. (Maype PP secondary?)
Classic Slayer DMRs - DMR start, AR secondary.
Classic Slayer Pro - 3sk pistol start, AR secondary. (Or reverse that for the classic "Spawn, Press Y".)

Map settings
- Weapon Layout: AR, DMR, Plasma Rifle, Plasma Pistol, Needler, Rockets, Shotgun, Sniper, Sword, Frag Grenade, Sticky Grenade
- For Slayer Pro, replace all the DMRs on the map with the 3sk Pistol.
- Overshield and Invis powerups.

In this scenario the Needle Rifle and the Default Reach Pistol will not be in Classic at all, negating the impact that 0% bloom has on them.

Ramirez said:
Sad to hear that the Objective options are trash, ugh.
I saw (and voted) on some standard Objective gametypes, but I was the only fool to do it. Unless you're in a party of 4, you'll never get it. :-(

One thing I'm liking about the new bloom is that the pistol seems much more viable like it was in the beta. Not a big fan of the DMR's utter dominance in the ZBS gametype, it turns Powerhouse into a really poor map.

daedalius

Zero-bloom, RoF capped, 2x zoom DMR in all playlists maybe?

Perhaps they should bring back the reticule climb from beta if they remove bloom completely.

I wonder if that is even possible... I mean I guess it would have to be since the magnum will have a capped RoF in anniversary.

ncsuDuncan said:
Actually, the more I think about it... you guys are right. The faster movement speed of the Classic gametypes would make even 85% bloom frustrating.

I still don't think the 3sk pistol will be in every gametype. Here's my revised preference:

Playlist-wide Classic settings
No AAs.
Faster movement, higher jump, higher gravity.
Faster shield recharge, reduced melee damage.
Possibly tweak damage/resistance to nerf grenades?
Bleed-through ON.
0% bloom.

Slayer Gametypes
Classic Slayer - AR start, no secondary. (Maype PP secondary?)
Classic Slayer DMRs - DMR start, AR secondary.
Classic Slayer Pro - 3sk pistol start, AR secondary. (Or reverse that for the classic "Spawn, Press Y".)

Map settings
- Weapon Layout: AR, DMR, Plasma Rifle, Plasma Pistol, Needler, Rockets, Shotgun, Sniper, Sword, Frag Grenade, Sticky Grenade
- For Slayer Pro, replace all the DMRs on the map with the 3sk Pistol.
- Overshield and Invis powerups.

In this scenario the Needle Rifle and the Default Reach Pistol will not be in Classic at all, negating the impact that 0% bloom has on them.

I gotta strongly disagree with this. I don't think people want zero bloom and bloomed gametypes mixed in playlists. It's a huge difference, and changes the game a lot.

-85% bloom, armor lock nerf, camo nerf, and possibly bleedthrough should be added to all of 'default' Reach playlists.
-Then I think there should be two classic playlists.
1. First, a H2 style playlist. DMR/AR start, zero bloom, 'classic' movement. 4v4 slayer and objective mix
2. Second, an Anniversary playlist, featuring the 'CE Magnum', classic movement and map setups, no DMR/NR, CEA maps required.

BTB really doesn't work for zero bloom, so I don't see a reason to have a classic hopper for it. DLC required would be nice for the BTB playlist though.

daedalius

Steelyuhas said:
BTB really doesn't work for zero bloom, so I don't see a reason to have a classic hopper for it. DLC required would be nice for the BTB playlist though.

How are we gonna play those giant new anniversary maps without a BTB list in classic? I can't imagine Breakneck and Ridgeline playing well with 4v4.

Im not sure what 343 plans to achieve with this beta playlist. Maybe they explained it in the Sparkcast? Essentially the playlists are kind of flawed. They have put uneven weighting on it all. Despite liking 85% bloom I would rather play more games of 0 bloom. Are they looking at voteing data? 0 bloom pops up a lot less than 85% bloom so already that’s flawed.

The way I see it places like Gaf have been providing feedback on Reach ever since the first day the beta was out. 343 has literally tons of info at theyre disposal. I don’t know if they want people to regurgitate that. AA’s don’t work. Especially not with bloom. Please see post from this time last year for a more scientific breakdown. Movement speed is still crippling. The thing is I know 343 are planning on putting out classic settings when CEA comes out so why not beta test those settings? If Action Sack can have a good 10 gametypes then surely 343 could throw together a extra gametype with faster movement/ higher jumping/ no AA’s and really test the beta hoppers out.

Right now I feel like im playing a severly gimped version of what we can expect when CEA comes out thinly disguised as a beta lol. I would rather not have to play the less fun version as I will just burn out before the fun version comes out.

daedalius said:
How are we gonna play those giant new anniversary maps without a BTB list in classic?

Require DLC for the BTB playlist. It's widely agreed upon that zero bloom doesn't work for BTB, so no point in having classic settings for that. If 343 doesn't want to require DLC for BTB, then they could setup a DLC BTB playlist, so that you can get those maps.

daedalius

Steelyuhas said:
Require DLC for the BTB playlist. It's widely agreed upon that zero bloom doesn't work for BTB, so no point in having classic settings for that. If 343 doesn't want to require DLC for BTB, then they could setup a DLC BTB playlist, so that you can get those maps.

Ah that would be amazing. Hopefully it would require the other DLC as well, would like some more variety of maps in BTB. I think 85% bloom would be fine for BTB (maybe a little lower), but not really zero-bloom.

daedalius said:
Ah that would be amazing. Hopefully it would require the other DLC as well, would like some more variety of maps in BTB. I think 85% bloom would be fine for BTB (maybe a little lower), but not really zero-bloom.

Yeah I think that 85%, AL nerf, camo nerf should be implemented across the board, so a DLC required BTB playlist would give you Breakpoint, Tempest, Highlands, Timberlands, Headlong, and Hang em' High to play. It would be pretty sweet.

Hitmonchan107 said:
I'll be online in 30 minutes.

I'm down to play then.

I'm enjoying ZB though kill times are insane. Combine that with about 9 months of barely playing... I'm extremely rusty, to say the least. Also weird trying to condition myself to hit that trigger as fast as possible (or much faster than normal, anyways).

With the right settings and good maps, I can see it being a lot of fun.

Wonder if we'll ever have a Halo 2 map pack...

wwm0nkey

Photolysis said:
I'm enjoying ZB though kill times are insane. Combine that with about 9 months of barely playing... I'm extremely rusty, to say the least. Also weird trying to condition myself to hit that trigger as fast as possible (or much faster than normal, anyways).

With the right settings and good maps, I can see it being a lot of fun.

Wonder if we'll ever have a Halo 2 map pack...
If there is a Halo 2 map pack it wont be till Halo 4 or Halo 5 (preferably 5)

Also a few people on GAF came up with some really nice settings, though I forget who had the v2 settings on their fileshare.

daedalius said:
Zero-bloom, RoF capped, 2x zoom DMR in all playlists maybe?
That would be great, but I don't think the 2x zoom can be done with a TU.

They can't change the UI, which I assume means:
- We can't decrease the DMR zoom.
- We can't increase the pistol magazine size. (And turn it into a 2x DMR.)

Of course, they could always prove me wrong. Maybe use the Pistol zoom UI for the DMR, but that sounds really complicated.

Maybe it's nostalgia talking, but I think a Halo 3 BR with Reach's hitscan and netcode would be the best weapon for the role. Fingers crossed for one in Halo 4. Bullet spread seems like the best way to limit the range.

As for Reach, if they can change the Reach Pistol's RoF to make it into the 3sk CEA Pistol I assume they could do the same for the DMR.

A RoF-capped 0% bloom DMR would be nice, even if it still had the 3x zoom.

daedalius said:
Perhaps they should bring back the reticule climb from beta if they remove bloom completely.
No thanks. It was okay for SMGs but I don't want to be fighting reticule climb on precision weapons.

-------
Steelyuhas said:
I gotta strongly disagree with this. I don't think people want zero bloom and bloomed gametypes mixed in playlists. It's a huge difference, and changes the game a lot.
I think you misunderstood my post. When I said "Slayer gametypes", that was for the Classic Slayer playlist only. Not normal Team Slayer.

No mixing of zero bloom and bloom at all. The entire playlist would be zero bloom (unless you hold down the trigger on the 3sk pistol, but who does that?)

Steelyuhas said:
-85% bloom, armor lock nerf, camo nerf, and possibly bleedthrough should be added to all of 'default' Reach playlists.
-Then I think there should be two classic playlists.
1. First, a H2 style playlist. DMR/AR start, zero bloom, 'classic' movement. 4v4 slayer and objective mix
2. Second, an Anniversary playlist, featuring the 'CE Magnum', classic movement and map setups, no DMR/NR, CEA maps required.
This is exactly what I was suggesting, if you combine the two classic playlists and separate 1 and 2 at the gametype level.

I think all of the Classic playlists should be DLC/CEA required. There's no sense in making one for people that only have the Reach disc maps, if you want to play Classic either buy CEA or get the Classic DLC.

Top Bottom