• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
love the playlists. ZBS kicks ass, though a rof change should be made to pistol/dmr/neerfle.

85% bloom also feels better than vanilla, . even at 85%, the dmr feels really trusty up to medium range, but is hampered at longer distances - as it should be. i do think the bloom should be taken down a bit more (50%?) though.

lastly, armor lockers still are zero fun :(

Tawpgun

Played the TU shit today.

Impressions? If you nerf the pistol (ROF cap, or add bloom back) and keep the DMR bloomless (perhaps nerf/remove the NR) then I'd ideally take no bloom DMR across the board. Along with melee bleed through. Not a fan of bullet bleedthrough though. I liked knowing when I/an enemy was one shot. But I'd still take an across the board no bloom DMR even with that slight problem.

However, I see this as unrealistic... that being said, 85% felt THAT much nicer than 100% and at the bare minimum I'd like to see 85% across the board. The general population would hardly notice a change.

And I get the need to test Armor Lock since it got modified but fuck is it annoying going up against it again. The fixes to armor lock barely do anything. It's still annoying as fuck.

Also, I'd have to test this, but I think Armor Lock should AT MOST have the strength of a second shield. Meaning if someone locks on you, you throw a nade and they're out of it. Or 4 shots of a DMR or whatever.

But the ultimate solution is to just nuke it out of the game across the board. All Armor Lock sympathizers deserve to be bant.

blamite

So after my first few games in the beta hopper (all but one ZBS) my biggest suggestion so far is to remove Camo from Zero Bloom gametypes, and keep it as far away as possible. Unless it's a pickup. Maybe. In vanilla Reach, the length of each fight meant that by the time you found a guy using camo, you had a reasonable chance of killing him, or at least ending up with a double beatdown. Now with the new pistol, if an invisible guy starts shooting you, you're already dead. It's even worse if multiple people have it in the same area.

Other than that, I think a lot of the new settings' enjoyableness will come from the maps they're played on. I loved the Zero Bloom game I played on Zealot, but the three on Uncaged were... less satisfying. I'm sure the CEA maps will be a great fit.

I only got to play 85% once, but it seemed good. Better than vanilla Reach for sure, but only by a small margin. the DMR can still be random, and I think I'd like it if bloom never expanded outside of the larger fixed circle in the reticle. That seems to be how the Needle Rifle works, and I think that amount of bloom would be interesting on the DMR and Pistol too. (Can 343 even adjust bloom for individual weapons? Or is there only one setting applied to all precision weapons?)

I'm definitely liking the playlist overall. The speed increase brought just by bleed-through melee is great, so I hope that and the Armor Lock nerf will be applied nearly universally. I dont think Reach can ever be the Halo game I really want to play like Halo 2 was, but the TU is definitely a step in the right direction.

Farooq

Banned
I hope Booshka's gametype settings will be the inspiration for Reach's classic playlist.

I also hope we get it along side the CEA classic playlist.

ElRenoRaven

Devolution said:
Welp found out I have an impersonator on the TF2 server. Awkward.

That's pathetic. That's the one thing I do like about live is that you can't pretend to be someone else. On services like Steam you can pretend to be someone easily.

Course that has advantages too when your ancient log in from years ago is long forgotten and can't be recovered. That allows you to at least use your name still.

vhfive said:
cool people use facebook

Meh I only use Facebook to play Zombie Lane. lol

Hydranockz said:
Countdown and Swordbase pretty much.
I'll use it any time it's available, pretty much. It's definitely the most offensive ability, and I'm definitely an offensive player. Sure, I die a lot more using it as opposed to using Sprint, but it's a blast.

HiredN00bs said:
I'll use it any time it's available, pretty much. It's definitely the most offensive ability, and I'm definitely an offensive player. Sure, I die a lot more using it as opposed to using Sprint, but it's a blast.
Onwards and upwards as they might say :p

BigShow36

Farooq said:
I hope Booshka's gametype settings will be the inspiration for Reach's classic playlist.

I also hope we get it along side the CEA classic playlist.

Not sure what Booshka's settings are, but 125 damage/150 resistance is the best I've found.

4sk DMR to the head, 7sk DMR to the body.

Add in 120 speed and no AA's and its golden.

Farooq

Banned
BigShow36 said:
Not sure what Booshka's settings are, but 125 damage/150 resistance is the best I've found.

4sk DMR to the head, 7sk DMR to the body.

Add in 120 speed and no AA's and its golden.

We played those settings. They create too many problems to be viable in my opinion.

The biggest nuisance being that 1 DMR shot, in addition to getting hit with a grenade results in death.

In a spam heavy game like reach and the movement the way it is, it leads to... much frustration.

Ramirez said:
No, it can die too.

lol...yes, it needs to die. They all need to die.

All of the AAs just fuck up the pace, especially if you're playing the no bloom settings. Stall tactics/escape death tactics and shit like jetpack when the jetpacker has a small hit box, huge vantage point downwards and the y axis is slow, just make for a terrible experience if you're playing more competitively.

Plus they are not earned, they're just selected on the main screen. Paper, rock, scissors much? MMO-like situation here we go. They make more sense in objectives rather than slayer but even that's pushing it with stuff like evade negating earned map control or the distance you managed to take a flag in asylum.

And I wont go into a long speech about how they just break certain maps. Soft kill zones? GJ making the map with the jetpack in mind in the first place. Oh wait they can come down and go back up at their leisure.

Anyway, yuck.

/soapbox

heckfu

Banned
Devolution said:
All of the AAs just fuck up the pace, especially if you're playing the no bloom settings. Stall tactics/escape death tactics and shit like jetpack when the jetpacker has a small hit box, huge vantage point downwards and the y axis is slow, just make for a terrible experience if you're playing more competitively.

Plus they are not earned, they're just selected on the main screen. Paper, rock, scissors much? MMO-like situation here we go. They make more sense in objectives rather than slayer but even that's pushing it with stuff like evade negating earned map control or the distance you managed to take a flag in asylum.

And I wont go into a long speech about how they just break certain maps. Soft kill zones? GJ making the map with the jetpack in mind in the first place. Oh wait they can come down and go back up at their leisure.

Anyway, yuck.

/soapbox

i bet you won't.

orznge

Banned
Devolution said:

Anyway, yuck.

/soapbox

(in miscellaneous voice) Lol Haha ya DISAGREE!!!! I read like 5 words.. you'll never convince and I'm not arguing just know I'm right

FyreWulff

Devolution said:

Anyway, yuck.

/soapbox

Sprint on spawn, jetpack and drop shield are pickups, delete armor lock because it's a worthless AA.

Gametypes with Elites give the elites Evade off spawn and Camo as a pickup instead of drop shield.

Tunavi

Banned
Ramirez said:
I'm glad you still think they can salvage something out of this game, I've run out of blind faith.
As much as I hate certain gameplay elements of this game, I'm still having fun playing Reach, as long as I'm with a full party.

orznge

Banned
Devolution said:

Anyway, yuck.

/soapbox

(in margnially more articulate, but no more competent voice) Have you considered that maybe that map control you thought you earned was actually never there? Maybe Bungie felt map control had too big an impact on the game in the previous three titles, letting players that practice all day control the game too much against the 99% of players who don't even know what "map control" is. This is a new game and maybe the whiners need to focus on figuring out how to win instead of posting on forums about why their Halo 3 strategies don't work.

Striker

Drop Shields do not belong in MP, nor does Evade on Spartans. It took Bungie a while to figure that out regarding Drop Shields, but Evade still stands, and is also in the TU playlist from 343...

Tunavi

Banned
Striker said:
Drop Shields do not belong in MP, nor does Evade on Spartans. It took Bungie a while to figure that out regarding Drop Shields, but Evade still stands, and is also in the TU playlist from 343...
are you kidding? at least its a beta and 343 will find out we want it removed from matchmaking. come on frankie.

Ramirez

orznge said:
(in margnially more articulate, but no more competent voice) Have you considered that maybe that map control you thought you earned was actually never there? Maybe Bungie felt map control had too big an impact on the game in the previous three titles, letting players that practice all day control the game too much against the 99% of players who don't even know what "map control" is. This is a new game and maybe the whiners need to focus on figuring out how to win instead of posting on forums about why their Halo 3 strategies don't work.

Every time you post something, I see this:

ElcorX2.png

The playlist settings are pretty half baked. Why am I seeing more Hot Potato than Multi Flag? These gametypes/settings are basically the same filth that's been in matchmaking since launch, just with ZB (no objective versions) and 85% bloom.

orznge said:

Heh. Why even play on different maps. Just give me a concrete slab maze. Oh wait Forge World and Uncaged. Nevermind.

Sad to say, the tu hopper has been the worst Halo experience I've had in months. Unbelievable amount of quitting going on; some of which, I admit, has been me. ZB just doesn't appear often enough, nearly every game I've played so far hasn't even had it as an option, so those who want to play it quit out and roll the mm dice again. People are actively quitting out in lobby's if ZB doesn't appear, I'm witnessing it first hand.

As for 85%, I think I prefer vanilla Reach. Bleedthrough dashes the clarity that was there for knowing when you are one shot. The first four shots can be spammed more reliably than ever, which compounds the problem I've had with the DMR since launch - it's too easy, even for a poorly skilled player to make an opponent one shot; they may not finish the kill but...

Another thing - party restrictions need to be on in this playlist. Teams of four dongers, all mic'd and communicating are being pitted against four randoms. Of the ten games I've played tonight, only two were ZB. This was one of those two games - team of four against a guest and friends

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=817943674&player=The Henery

Look at those kd's. Wow.

Striker

Tunavi said:
are you kidding? at least its a beta and 343 will find out we want it removed from matchmaking. come on frankie.
I'm sure they've known people wanted it removed, justifiably so, for months.

I realize it's a beta, but also would've like new map and gametype variants. Same 3 Plot stuff on Countdown. Awful 2 Flag Slayer and Speedflag. I suppose it's silly to complain about it, but I guess I expected better objective modes in the actual playlist to show a bit more competitive nature, rather than the fringe items.

MrBig

orznge said:
"people who are better than me shouldn't be allowed to win"

This is why lobbing everyone into a single "competitive" listing with no ranks was a bad idea.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Hydranockz said:
At what point will Frankie come in and stress to listen to the Sparkast?

It's just beta.
Not that this point needs to be hit upon again, but I do feel it's worth mentioning that the TU portion of the beta is only one aspect of this release.

As our first playlist release we wanted to make sure we could release something that, honestly, wouldn't break Reach multiplayer. Also it was important that we rolled out a variety of gametypes to test the sandbox options.

I'm not surprised at all that some folks want to see ZB slayer more often. Heck, I'd like to play it more as well, but we need less data there than on 85% slayer or the myriad of objective gametes.

Ramirez

Do people really hate Multiflag and Neutral Bomb to the point that all of these retarded 3 flag/Hot Potato/Flag Slayer are warranted? I don't think I saw a Multi Flag option one single time in like 10-12 voting options, I saw Neutral Bomb a whopping one time.

Farooq

Banned
lybertyboy said:
Not that this point needs to be hit upon again, but I do feel it's worth mentioning that the TU portion of the beta is only one aspect of this release.

As our first playlist release we wanted to make sure we could release something that, honestly, wouldn't break Reach multiplayer. Also it was important that we rolled out a variety of gametypes to test the sandbox options.

I'm not surprised at all that some folks want to see ZB slayer more often. Heck, I'd like to play it more as well, but we need less data there than on 85% slayer or the myriad of objective gametes.

What does this mean?

That ZB doesn't need to be tested as much as 85%?

Does it also mean you guys are confident with ZB slayer? Confident enough that it can have it's own playlist separate of CEA classic?

Top Bottom