• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

I understand 343 needs data and needs to appeal to the broader gamer base. But at the same time I and they (since they read the thread) already know how I feel, so there's no need for me to torture myself. Unless there is a specific reason larger maps were included like Tempest and Condemned, along with AAs in all types.

Ramirez said:
Do people really hate Multiflag and Neutral Bomb to the point that all of these retarded 3 flag/Hot Potato/Flag Slayer are warranted? I don't think I saw a Multi Flag option one single time in like 10-12 voting options, I saw Neutral Bomb a whopping one time.

In the TU playlist, multi flag is only on Tempest, Unanchored, and Highlands (WTF?) and Neutral Bomb is only on Tempest and Asylum. So the only one you will see is Neutral Bomb on Asylum.

Striker

Ramirez said:
Do people really hate Multiflag and Neutral Bomb to the point that all of these retarded 3 flag/Hot Potato/Flag Slayer are warranted? I don't think I saw a Multi Flag option one single time in like 10-12 voting options, I saw Neutral Bomb a whopping one time.
Played all day, saw Neutral Bomb/Asylum come up about three times entirely, played it once. That's the only combo of Assault I had seen show up. Multi-flag did not show up once. Speedflag, 3 Flag, and Flag Slayer? Often.

I'm not mad about any severe changes, I wasn't expecting that. But I was at least hoping for the traditional sense of objective modes getting played than those things...

but we need less data there than on 85% slayer or the myriad of objective gametes.

... which is what I mean by that. I'm not sure its not a big deal in terms of gathering data, but simply expecting basic flag and assault stuff.

wwm0nkey

Farooq said:
What does this mean?

That ZB doesn't need to be tested as much as 85%?

Does it also mean you guys are confident with ZB slayer? Confident enough that it can have it's own playlist separate of CEA classic?
I think in the first week of releasing the gametype they got enough data off of Zero Bloom, most of the community found the sweet spot in Damage Modifiers and ect.

If we got a playlist based off the the v2 settings we made or something like what MLG has made I would be happy.

Also I still feel like bloom needs another 5% OR 10% reduction.

Ramirez said:
Did you ask Tom Morello if he could leak some Halo 4 stuff?

Yea he was talking about the new 11 shot bmr that makes encounters longer and therefore 'smarter'. He also said the Halo theme was being remastered with steel panpipes and kettledrums to accentuate the 'exotic' flavour of the new planet. I didn't think Gaf would be too thrilled so I kept it to myself.

Also, I'm aware it's a beta hopper. It's just, we've waited long enough for ZB, at least give it a chance in the voting screen. Or give it it's own playlist now/pipedream.

Seriously ZB is too good to be a fringe gametype at this time.

wwm0nkey said:
I think in the first week of releasing the gametype they got enough data off of Zero Bloom, most of the community found the sweet spot in Damage Modifiers and ect.

If we got a playlist based off the the v2 settings we made or something like what MLG has made I would be happy.

Also I still feel like bloom needs another 5% OR 10% reduction.

Any reduction in bloom seriously needs a movement modifier to go with it.

Havok

Had a voting session earlier where Boardwalk came up 4 times in two votes, one of the voting rounds was all Boardwalk.

The Halo gods hate me.

but not as much as I hate Boardwalk.

feel

It's really hard work having to explain to my friends (or any friend of them who joins the xbl party) the purpose of this beta, the lack of changes after the update, why there's still bloom and AAs and no Classic playlists, the awkwardly different types of core gameplay and pretty much everything that is going on and will be going on with Halo matchmaking because it's extremely confusing for anyone who doesn't follow forums like us.

343i, I love you, but you need to step your game up when you comes to clarifying what people are experiencing and will be experiencing online and all the changes. Plus all the fringe garbage needs to be removed and the whole online experience need to be more clear and unified. Currently Reach is an unorganized mess and the grab bag beta playlist that is marginally different than the rest of the game (and its gametypes lacking explanation) is not giving people hope for a better future.

Ramirez

Letters said:
It's really hard work having to explain to my friends (or any friend of them who joins the xbl party) the purpose of this beta, the lack of changes after the update, why there's still bloom and AAs and no Classic playlists, the awkwardly different types of core gameplay and pretty much everything that is going on and will be going on with Halo matchmaking because it's extremely confusing for anyone who doesn't follow forums like us.

343i, I love you, but you need to step your game up when you comes to clarifying what people are experiencing and will be experiencing online and all the changes. Plus all the fringe garbage needs to be removed and the whole online experience need to be more clear and unified. Currently Reach is an unorganized mess and the grab bag beta playlist that is marginally different than the rest of the game (and its gametypes lacking explanation) is not giving people hope for a better future.

Totally agree, my feelings after I turned my Xbox off today were "The game has no idea what it wants to be...", lol. Having to go from ZB to 85% bloom in the same playlist is jarring, and kills your rhythm.

I can only imagine how the average joe feels after playing in that playlist.

Tunavi

Banned
343's acting like this game is sacred and they are afraid to touch it because they didn't make it.

GO AHEAD. change this this game. don't hold back.

Tawpgun

Tunavi said:
343's acting like this game is sacred and they are afraid to touch it because they didn't make it.

Only Forge World/Forerunner maps to get us prepped for Halo 4/CEA

GhaleonEB

Frankie describing Armor Lock as a frustrating 'pause button' has me hopeful the new iteration will see wider distribution across playlists.

GhaleonEB said:
Frankie describing Armor Lock as a frustrating 'pause button' has me hopeful the new iteration will see wider distribution across playlists.

I'm pretty much assuming that a change like that is going to go across the all playlists. It's a painfully broken, game crushing ability that is made slightly less so with the change.

wwm0nkey

One thing I am wondering, what happens if a vast majority of the community prefers Zero Bloom over 85% bloom? What if most of the player base just wants Zero Bloom, will we get that?

(343i really needs to put up a poll on Halowaypoint)

Ramirez

GhaleonEB said:

The new version isn't that much better, honestly.

kylej

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
One thing I am wondering, what happens if a vast majority of the community prefers Zero Bloom over 85% bloom? What if most of the player base just wants Zero Bloom, will we get that?

They'll go with whatever idea they have regardless of community opinion. Just like Bungie.

GhaleonEB

Ramirez said:
Yeah, armor lock as a concept is ruinously flawed from the get-go (it really is a combat pause button), but at least you can hit fast forward on it a bit. At this point I am willing to settle for marginal improvement.

Going to hop on to try this Beta thing out in an hour.

Havok

Ramirez said:
I like at least having the option to knock them out of it, but yeah, I'd like to see a bump in the damage transfer.

Listening to the podcast and hearing them say that they know there is unpleasant stuff in there on purpose so they can get data on it makes me a little more hopeful. It certainly puts the objective offerings in a new light. However, I do have a bit of an issue with bloom decisions: Since we're unable to change that setting ourselves, we only get to experience what are basically the two extremes in ZBS and 85, which I can't imagine not taking the place of 100% since nobody seems to have a problem with it. I'd like to know what a 60% feels like, for example, because I might like it better than either 85 or 0, but I have no way of knowing. I dunno. It's a real bummer that these settings aren't available to the end user.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonEB said:
At this point I am willing to settle for marginal improvement.
What a sad state of affairs. I know what you mean, though.

Tunavi said:

This this this.

feel

wwm0nkey said:

You would get the opinion of a vocal minority. What about the infection players who don't even know what bloom or halowaypoint are? Their silent opinion doesn't matter? What are they chopped liver? What about the feelings of little Timmy who gets home from school one day and the lack of bloom is making other players on inferior connections kill him more frequently all of a sudden? Should he be penalized because he didn't find out about the poll? Plus usage data irrefutably shows people ARE getting kills even with bloom, and ARE NOT always choosing the one nobloom gametype in a bad map in the beta playlist instead of one of the bloom options available in good maps.

wwm0nkey

Letters said:
You would get the opinion of a vocal minority. What about the infection players who don't even know what bloom or halowaypoint are? Their silent opinion doesn't matter? What are they chopped liver? What about the feelings of little Timmy who gets home from school one day and the lack of bloom is making other players on inferior connections kill him more frequently all of a sudden? Should he be penalized because he didn't find out about the poll? Plus usage data irrefutably shows people ARE getting kills even with bloom, and ARE NOT always choosing the one nobloom gametype in a bad map in the beta playlist instead of one of the bloom options available in good maps.
Ok so let me get this straight we should have a host dependent killing system?

FyreWulff

Tunavi said:

I get the opposite impression from them.

GhaleonEB said:
Yeah, armor lock as a concept is ruinously flawed from the get-go (it really is a combat pause button), but at least you can hit fast forward on it a bit. At this point I am willing to settle for marginal improvement.

Going to hop on to try this Beta thing out in an hour.

The solution to people not liking Armor Lock was already solved by Bungie, and that was deleting it from certain playlists entirely. It's still a so-called pause button, it's still completely worthless, and it's still a waste of time to target for balancing when Evade is right there with all it's brokeness untouched. The amount of charge you take off of it with attacks is a waste of a grenade and swording someone in AL automatically lets them EMP you.

daedalius

Well, I've gotten a few games of 85%, and while its most certainly better than 100%, I'd still like to see something like 60% or 50%. ZB seems too extreme and 85% doesn't seem like enough.

Homeboyd

Ramirez said:
How much of the population even knows what ZB stands for? lol
That's actually a really good question.. I don't think it mentioned anything about "zero bloom" or any other changes in the TU welcome note.

Seems like it would make some of the voting data irrelevant.

Tawpgun

You know what sucks?

If Halo 4 ships with no sprint, no AA's at all the general public, and the gaming press as well, are going to slam 343 for backwards design and thinking.

fml.

Tunavi

Banned
FyreWulff said:
I get the opposite impression from them
They haven't implemented any changes in movement or jump height, 85% is not nearly enough reduction, camo/invis power ups aren't coming back, they haven't acknowledged armor ability pick ups, and loadouts are still prevalent. Oh and Uncaged is still in matchmaking.

feel

A27 Tawpgun said:
You know what sucks?

If Halo 4 ships with no sprint, no AA's at all the general public, and the gaming press as well, are going to slam 343 for backwards design and thinking.

fml.
That's when they use the Aim Down Sights wild card. And then the Monochromatic Visuals one when they need to get rid of A.D.S. for Halo 5.

ElRenoRaven

A27 Tawpgun said:
You know what sucks?

fml.

You know what. I don't give a damn. Fuck them if they shit on 343 for it. In the long run it will be for the better. Get rid of armor abilities/equipment and be done with it.

Tawpgun

Letters said:
That's when they use the Aim Down Sights wild card. And then the Monochromatic Visuals one when they need to get rid of A.D.S. for Halo 5.
If they had a good sense of humor they would add an easteregg/option for ADS Halo.

You aim down the AR and the ammo counter blocks everything. You aim down a scoped weapon and half your screen is blocked by the outer edges of the scope. And you move a lot slower.

trololololol CoD kids select Spartan Duty control scheme and get shit on.

Ramirez said:
How much of the population even knows what ZB stands for? lol

Exactly my point earlier. It should say boldly - NO BLOOM - to really get the message across. Then again I heard a guy talking in a lobby earlier, he wasn't a new rank or anything, and somebody was having to explain to him what bloom was.

I had an amazing game of ZB slayer to finish the night off, so I'm feeling better Halo-mood wise. So good, yet 85% was forced down my throat all night. ZB playlist asap please.

A27 Tawpgun said:
You know what sucks?

fml.

I have no problem with sprint by itself, and I honestly don't understand why someone would actively dislike the concept of it.

The real problem is that regular movement is like running though molasses and sprinting is even more so. Sure, it might be more realistic to have a sense of inertia while strafing or whatever, but it also isn't fun whatsoever, and the light jogging pace of non-sprint running doesn't help either. I feel like more badass and fleet-footed playing the slower classes in TF2, where Spartans in the expanded fiction make any non-augmented human look like a joke in comparison. The Reach Spartans actually feel like a downgrade from almost any other game.

daedalius

PsychoRaven said:
You know what. I don't give a damn. Fuck them if they shit on 343 for it. In the long run it will be for the better. Get rid of armor abilities/equipment and be done with it.

I wouldn't mind going back to equipment, and sprint.

Tunavi said:
They haven't implemented any changes in movement or jump height, 85% is not nearly enough reduction, camo/invis power ups aren't coming back, they haven't acknowledged armor ability pick ups, and loadouts are still prevalent. Oh and Uncaged is still in matchmaking.

Bolded are not likely to happen outside of a specialty playlist. They are core components of Reach's multiplayer.

Tawpgun

Thagomizer said:
I have no problem with sprint by itself, and I honestly don't understand why someone would actively dislike the concept of it.

The real problem is that regular movement is like running though molasses and sprinting is even more so. Sure, it might be more realistic to have a sense of inertia while strafing or whatever, but it also isn't fun whatsoever, and the light jogging pace of non-sprint running doesn't help either. I feel like more badass and fleet-footed playing the slower classes in TF2, where Spartans in the expanded fiction make any non-augmented human look like a joke in comparison. The Reach Spartans actually feel like a downgrade from almost any other game.

In Halo I do. It's the only modern arena shooter left, and the only one on consoles (I don't count Gears as one)

I dislike sprint for the reasons you mentioned about movement. If sprint is included base movement speed needs to be slow as fuck because hyper speed sprint is just a getaway card.

Tunavi

Banned
Steelyuhas said:
Bolded are not likely to happen outside of a specialty playlist. They are core components of Reach's multiplayer.
Scrub harder. I'm backing up my argument that 343 should change the core components of Reach.

Tunavi said:
Scrub harder. I'm backing up my argument that 343 should change the core components of Reach.

Not saying I don't want those things, just saying they are extremely unlikely to happen. They are not just going to gut the shit out of default Reach. It would surpass my expectations if 343 implemented 85% bloom across the default Reach playlists. (DO IT!)

Homeboyd

thee henery said:
Exactly my point earlier. It should say boldly - NO BLOOM - to really get the message across. Then again I heard a guy talking in a lobby earlier, he wasn't a new rank or anything, and somebody was having to explain to him what bloom was.
There are a lot of people who don't know what bloom is unfortunately. It's not perspicuous to the more casual breeds.

That's a legitimate concern for voting data results.

A27 Tawpgun said:
In Halo I do. It's the only modern arena shooter left, and the only one on consoles (I don't count Gears as one)

I dislike sprint for the reasons you mentioned about movement. If sprint is included base movement speed needs to be slow as fuck because hyper speed sprint is just a getaway card.

I've never understood why it needs to be slow; why can't Sprint just be faster than the base? You'd have "basic running" and "wow, look at that fucker move!"

Tunavi said:
Thats how I feel when I see evade. Yuck.

Ok, maybe not quite that fast (and there are more issues with Evade than just it's speed), but I still don't see the issue with having spring and a high base speed.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Homeboyd said:
That's a legitimate concern for voting data results.
Voting data is not the main datapoint we're gathering for Zero Bloom. (That's not to say we're not looking at it.)

We're much more interested in continuing to grab inforation on average encounter time, distance from opponent upon death, weapon usage, heat maps, etc.

Top Bottom