• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Ramirez

KidA Seven said:
So what's the deal with objective holding? People actually get angry at that? Doesn't that just make it easier because it's now 3v4?

Their definition of holding the objective is a little off, they just mean the other team poops on them for the whole match instead of putting them out of their misery.

stephen08

A27 Tawpgun said:
Executive producer doesn't do much with the game, right?

That leaves creative director, who I see as more of a generalized role. The biggest influences on reach are the lead designers. AKA Sage and New Peeps.

The producer and creative director are the people who takes the game from overall concept to overall finished work. They manage all facets on a macro level. On a micro level it is the department leads.

That's how I understand it anyway.

reggie said:
What do you guys mean when you talk about objective holding? Neutral bomb and one team camps with the bomb?

One team is capable of ending the match by scoring the objective but don't so that the game can last longer and they can rack up more kills and boost their stats. In this case, the opposing team didn't bother trying to plant the bomb until the last 30 seconds of the game where they succeeded in their only attempt.

PNut

Banned
stephen08 said:
It's not a big deal to me since I only went -2 overall. But hey, thanks for making the game miserable for Sliced Bread, the person I came in with. That's what really annoys me about the whole situation.

Take your beating like a man. We've all been there.

stephen08

PNut said:
Take your beating like a man. We've all been there.

This kind of apathy amazes me. If you have been there you know how annoying it is. The difference is, if you are reasonably good and play with friends it won't happen that often. If you are not very good, or don't run a full team it will pretty much ruin objective gametypes for you.

It is an issue that needs to be addressed with Halo 4.

KevinRo

reggie said:
What do you guys mean when you talk about objective holding? Neutral bomb and one team camps with the bomb?

No. They're talking about when you take the bomb on a banshee and hide it ontop of Headlong until the other team quits out.

Oh wait, there is a time limit. HOW ON EARTH CAN YOU CAMP WITH AN OBJECTIVE GAMETYPE?? IF YOU LET THE OTHER TEAM DO THAT, YOU SUCK

heckfu

Banned
I was playing Oddball earlier and the other team held the objective until the time ran out. It was weird.

WAKKA.png

Tawpgun

stephen08 said:
This kind of apathy amazes me. If you have been there you know how annoying it is. The difference is, if you are reasonably good and play with friends it won't happen that often. If you are not very good, or don't run a full team it will pretty much ruin objective gametypes for you.

It is an issue that needs to be addressed with Halo 4.
Excuse me, but how the fuck do you prevent people from shitting on you in an objective game? A mercy button?

There's nothing illegal or malicious about it. They're having fun winning. Your not. If anything, they're giving you an extended chance to fight back. Might be douchey, but its nothing the game should punish you for. How about INSTEAD they fix the credit system so shorter objective games are rewarded with higher payouts?

You on the other hand betray people for yoinking you.

You BETRAY (something punishable in the game) when people "steal your kill" and contribute to the team.

Fucking really.

ElRenoRaven

A27 Tawpgun said:
Excuse me, but how the fuck do you prevent people from shitting on you in an objective game? A mercy button?

There's nothing illegal or malicious about it. They're having fun winning. Your not. If anything, they're giving you an extended chance to fight back. Might be douchey, but its nothing the game should punish you for. How about INSTEAD they fix the credit system so shorter objective games are rewarded with higher payouts?

You BETRAY (something punishable in the game) when people "steal your kill" and contribute to the team.

Fucking really.

Pretty much sums it up folks. Also having looked over the stats and maps of the kills and deaths you can tell there wasn't objective holding going on. I'd watch the included video but I'm too lazy to download it and I doubt anyone's going to render one that long. I might though after I'm done watching this episode of scrubs.

*edit* oh crap someone rendered it.

Ok watching and it's clear as day they aren't objective holding.

stephen08

A27 Tawpgun said:

Fucking really.

There are a variety of ways to ensure that the griefing is prevented. A couple ideas off of the top of my head:

1. End the game when it's impossible for the losing team to win in asymmetric gametypes.
2. Don't track K/D ratio accross Objective modes
3. Have an incremental time limit. Say the initial time limit is 5 minutes, if no one has scored by then end the game. If someone scores increase the time limit by say 2 minutes. If the same team scores again end the match.
4. Moderate the lists via forums or some kind of complaint system.
5. Calculate an acceptable range ofTeam spread/Time. If it exceeds a threshold end the game.
6. Increase credit payout for earlier victories.

There's a whole world of stuff they could do to prevent this from happening.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ramirez said:
So much honor in that video my head exploded.
Lol

I don't if the link to the stats are there but they're fucking astronimical. Like, positive 150 for the Pro team. So awesome lol.

If that shit happens to me, I just quit lol.

senador

Banned
stephen08 said:
Oh I'm not trying to change people, I just call people out on this stuff. Same thing in any other game where people abuse the rules/limitations. It adversely effects the community and no matter how many halo honour jokes are made that will still be the case. If you don't think it's a big deal then fine, but don't tell me I'm not allowed to call people out on this.

Sure you can. Its not cool though when you start insulting people and try to police it. You are just a player like everyone else. What makes you right over them?

Your definition of holding is lame anyway. Maybe the time wasn't right to make a push. Objective doesn't mean pushing forward and mindlessly dying for the sake of capping or arming. That's just stupid. People still want to not die and shoot their gun.

You seem to be a hypocrite when looking at your games. Don't like King of the Hill? Looks like you don't go for the hill at all and just go for kills. You have loads of games like this. I guess its cool when you do it. So, who needs sportsmanship right?

ElRenoRaven

Yup having watched the video it's clear as day he's full of shit. The Blue team did a damn good job of holding Havoc and them back. They tried to move up several times and were pushed back every damn time. Hell Blue pushed forward several times too.

So there is no doubt in my mind that the cries of Objective holding are 100 percent bullshit.

Tawpgun

stephen08 said:
There are a variety of ways to ensure that the griefing is prevented. A couple ideas off of the top of my head:

1. End the game when it's impossible for the losing team to win in asymmetric gametypes.
2. Don't track K/D ratio accross Objective modes
3. Have an incremental time limit. Say the initial time limit is 5 minutes, if no one has scored by then end the game. If someone scores increase the time limit by say 2 minutes. If the same team scores again end the match.
4. Moderate the lists via forums or some kind of complaint system.
5. Calculate an acceptable range ofTeam spread/Time. If it exceeds a threshold end the game.
6. Increase credit payout for earlier victories.

There's a whole world of stuff they could do to prevent this from happening.
1. Some people like to play the game, regardless of winning or losing. I don't care either way for this one.
2. Ok. Fine. But I'll tell you that whenever I've "objective held" its for my own fun, not for padding stats. Padding stats is retarded. Donging is fun. Gotta do it once in a while to break up the monotonous 4 minute games they usually are...
3. An inconsistent time limit? That sounds terrible. You have a clear x amount of time to score. Do it.
4. No one is doing anything wrong.
5. Punish good objective players for set ups. Ok.
6. THE ONE GOOD IDEA.

stephen08

senador said:
Sure you can. Its not cool though when you start insulting people and try to police it. You are just a player like everyone else. What makes you right over them?

Your definition of holding is lame anyway. Maybe the time wasn't right to make a push. Objective doesn't mean pushing forward and mindlessly dying for the sake of capping or arming. That's just stupid. People still want to not die and shoot their gun.

You seem to be a hypocrite when looking at your games. Don't like King of the Hill? Looks like you don't go for the hill at all and just go for kills. You have loads of games like this. I guess its cool when you do it. So, who needs sportsmanship right?

Yeah it happens, but the difference there is that that is multiteam and as such its basically non-stop chaos. If I was able to control the other teams so well that I could cap the hill any time I wanted, I would do so. As it is though you basically have a never ending rush of people entering the hill. Like someone said earlier, objective does not mean that you blindly charge the hill. The majority of people in Multiteam treat those games as 15 minute long slayer fests anyway. And you know what? I fully admit it's not the most sportsmanlike thing for people to do. But the alternative when playing that mode is not fun at all. I don't begrudge anyone who does the same in something like multiteam.

That is fundamentally different than having one other team over a barrel and deliberately not scoring the objective.

Striker

stephen08 said:
Striker had 96
As you can tell in the video, most of the time spent holding the bomb was behind a rock near the center structure. I had at least one enemy near me at all times, and dropped it once my teammate, SWAT, starting smacking me. I was not going to blindly rush an area or move until I know it's safe. Assault 101.

Personally I was settled the match was ending in a tie. Only until the bomb was dropped, and noticed your guys were shooting one another and we were simply cleaning up the kills did we receive that opportunity to arm it.

FyreWulff

End the game when lame duck rounds are about to occur only happens in Grifball.

No idea why it doesn't exist in the rest of matchmaking, but honestly the rest of matchmaking should be reduced to 2 rounds in 1-sided objectives anyway.

stephen08 said:
That is fundamentally different than having one other team over a barrel and deliberately not scoring the objective.
at no point in that game did they have you over a barrel. It was even until the end when you started shooting your teammates.

Think about knowing in TS you were going to lose. Like you could see the future.

You take your beating. Do you quit because you already know you lost or play?

The only difference when we objective (ignore) is that you don't know you're going to lose, or don't face that fact while playing.

Ignorance, that's the only difference.

If you are saying Halo is a sport and we should play honorably then play honorably and accept your loss and take it like a man, whether its from a long drawn out win or an instant win. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. Or forfeit.

I always thought Gym Tan Dong would be the team to do it to Stephen and I still hope to run into him one day and objective hold the shit out of him.

Also http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/gamestats.aspx?gameid=818090150&player=stephen087 is the link. GG Havok and comp. +1000 cleanse points.

Its a fucking game, do better if you don't want to get objective held.

senador

Banned
^^ The best part is that they didn't even hold. That render was worth my 11 render minutes.

thezerofire said:
at no point in that game did they have you over a barrel. It was even until the end when you started shooting your teammates.

Yeah but damn that Havok for playing defense while the rest of the team continually attempted to move forward!

Sorry stephen. I tried to defend you for a while and told others to give you a chance. This shit is just ridiculous now though.

ElRenoRaven

senador said:
^^ The best part is that they didn't even hold. That render was worth my 11 points.

Yeah but damn that Havok for playing defense while the rest of the team continually attempted to move forward!

Sorry stephen. I tried to defend you for a while and told others to give you a chance. This shit is just ridiculous now though.

Yup. How dare he cover his teammates while they attempt to score. Such an evil evil sob.

Oh and you rendered it? Thank you for that. I was watching Scrubs season 2 at the time and really didn't want to take a break to watch.

stephen08

Striker said:
As you can tell in the video, most of the time spent holding the bomb was behind a rock near the center structure. I had at least one enemy near me at all times, and dropped it once my teammate, SWAT, starting smacking me. I was not going to blindly rush an area or move until I know it's safe. Assault 101.

Personally I was settled the match was ending in a tie. Only until the bomb was dropped, and noticed your guys were shooting one another and we were simply cleaning up the kills did we receive that opportunity to arm it.

You guys let the bomb reset when it was on your side when you had complete control of it. The ending was kind of lame, one of our teammates betrayed one of us (for a weapon I think?) and then it all just fell apart.

Again, if you guys didn't hold the objective then I was wrong. Based on the spreads, the ball carry time, the one and only attempt that happened to be successful during sudden death, and the film though I think you did.

RdN

I know it has been said before, but FUCK the people who chooses bloom gametypes in the Beta playlist. Argh !

Havok

stephen08 said:
You guys let the bomb reset when it was on your side when you had complete control of it.
I had snipe, I wasn't going to stop covering it because that would be moronic, our random refused to pick it up when he was standing right beside it, Fox was heading up to hold the middle so we could move it up, and Striker was on his way to pick it up when it reset. Make more assumptions, please. I'd be happy to correct those, too.

stephen08

reggie said:
An easy way to prevent griefing could be to have it so every individual player can put up a vote to forfeit, if everyone on your team forfeits the game ends without getting penalty for quitting. So much time could have been saved if something like this existed, so many games where the entire team quits apart from my friend and I, only to have the other team grief us.

Yep. That is certainly one option. Personally, I would prefer some sort of automated system though. You just know some people would stay in 1v4.

EDIT: I misread what you typed. That certainly is better.

senador

Banned
reggie said:
An easy way to prevent griefing could be to have it so every individual player can put up a vote to forfeit, if everyone on your team forfeits the game ends, without getting penalty for quitting. So much time could have been saved if something like this existed, so many games where the entire team quits apart from my friend and I, only to have the other team grief us.

Nah. The best way is to not play video games. I don't like griefing but I have accepted it as part of online play. Its always been around and its not going anywhere.

This is all LOL though since there was no goddamn griefing going on.

Also, isn't it grieving?

Its not true griefing though. Most griefing involves playing the incorrect way, teamkilling team shooting yelling loudly talking shit. Messages. so forth.

Objective holding is just a classy way of winning.

senador said:
Nah. The best way is to not play video games. I don't like griefing but I have accepted it as part of online play. Its always been around and its not going anywhere.

This is all LOL though since there was no goddamn griefing going on.

Also, isn't it grieving?
Grieving is to be in grief, griefing is to cause grief. Not a real word but oh well.

edit: also is anyone playing TU right now? I'll get on gears otherwise

reggie said:
Way to be a douche. First, I'm not defending stephen, merely offering suggestions for griefing, which is what we are talking about. Second, griefing sucks and should not be apart of online play, and if it can be prevented it should.
When did he say it should be a part of online play? All he said was that it is a part of online play as things stand.

Striker

stephen08 said:
You guys let the bomb reset when it was on your side when you had complete control of it. The ending was kind of lame, one of our teammates betrayed one of us (for a weapon I think?) and then it all just fell apart.

Again, if you guys didn't hold the objective then I was wrong. Based on the spreads, the ball carry time, the one and only attempt that happened to be successful during sudden death, and the film though I think you did.
I had most time, and you had seen where I was directly on the video. I was there with an enemy over my shoulder every second. It is clear as day what was going on, and that was your team slipping up at the last second because of weapon feuding.

Took that ample time to arm it while you guys were busy doing this:
catfight.gif

reggie said:
His suggestion to stop playing videogames instead of taking in to consideration my idea wasn't a douche move?
His suggestion to avoid a source of frustration due to a fact of life is a douche move? As it stands that's pretty much all you can do.

senador

Banned
reggie said:
Way to be a douche. First, I'm not defending stephen, merely offering suggestions for griefing, which is what we are talking about. Second, griefing sucks and should not be apart of online play, and if it can be prevented it should.

Sorry. I must admit I thought you said "The best way to prevent griefing..." even though I bolded it.

Your solution could be just another way to grief. Teams could use it to end games early for no reason, or 3 players could choose it to get out of a bad situation and 1 guy decides he wants to stay.

The best way to prevent greifing in Objective to me is to make the game fun, balanced, and fair and do things like give credits for teamwork of capping objectives, and maybe not count K/D in overall K/D.

Maybe on top of that in Hypothetical Halo you'd get an allowance of allowed quits before being punished. The punishment system needs to change though because right now it blows and griefs everyone. I appreciate the attempt and I thought it'd be awesome but I have been punished for too many times for things other than quitting just because I didn't want to play X.

Aside from all that though, there will always be some form of griefing in games. I was just being extreme to make a point (what's that called?). Humans are douches and they are the ones playing the games. Its just like real life. There is no and will be no utopian video game place. Sucks, but that's how it is.

Man this thread is good times tonight. :D

Top Bottom