• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

daedalius

Thagomizer said:
Ok, maybe not quite that fast (and there are more issues with Evade than just it's speed), but I still don't see the issue with having spring and a high base speed.

Spartan combat speed should be pretty quick, considering these guys are ultra-enhanced super soldiers, and their run should be even faster. However, translating this to good, compelling gameplay is the difficult part.

ElRenoRaven

lybertyboy said:
Voting data is not the main datapoint we're gathering for Zero Bloom. (That's not to say we're not looking at it.)

We're much more interested in continuing to grab inforation on average encounter time, distance from opponent upon death, weapon usage, heat maps, etc.

Oh I can help you with that. My last game was just two sides sitting across the map donging each other with DMR. I loved killing their sniper over and over. It was so fun to go toe to toe with a sniper and keep winning. All without leaving my spawn. Well I had to once but only cause my DMR ran out of ammo. I made it back easily though after circling the map to pick up dmr ammo dropped by their guys I killed with a pistol. /sarcasm

GhaleonEB

Played my first game of the Beta TU playlist.

It will be my last game, at least for a while, partly because of me and partly because of the playlist.

I'm a BTB guy, and generally don't play 4 v 4 playlists. Reach's unamended flaws (player inertia, nuclear grenades) are more prominent, and one idler, quitter or griefer throws the entire game (as on that one - one dude was playing, but just hiding in corners, one dude on their team quits, one on my team goes -14). That's mostly par for the course in small playlist.

One thing that jumped out right away was that I had no idea what I was voting for. What changes were in that game type? I think it might have been 85% bloom, but I'm not sure; I only got my hands on a DMR a couple times. Our team sure got demolished by Needle Rifle fire repeatedly. Everything but zero bloom? This is again Reach, but it really hurts that there is no description for the game types. This kind of endeavor makes it even more clear how hard the ball was dropped when it comes to communicating to players what they are going to play, from descriptions to custom preview screenshots.

Sorry to be a negative Nancy, but I hopped in and had a really unpleasant experience, and am heading back into friendlier waters. (Namely, the October monster movie marathon, Deus Ex and an absurd pile of reading: the new Edge (Skyrim, woo), Roger Ebert's memoir and Shel Silverstein's posthumous book all arrived in the past two days, and I'm still just 40 pages into Cryptum.)
Ken said:
Ghaleon, Tawpgun and I are in your party if you're there.
I was writing this post, sorry. Didn't even look at the TV, I'd forgotten I had unlocked my party. I'm hopping off now anyways.

Tunavi

Banned
Alright, long day is almost over. I'll be home in an hour from this post. Finished all my homework for tomorrow. I expect to have party waiting for me.

Havok

nod9g0.png

Really, dude?

Havok

A27 Tawpgun said:
Thats not our stephen is it?
Yeah, it is. We had a bad random who wouldn't go after bomb and he thinks we were objective holding. We've run into a few gaffers in the playlist, it's always kind of neat, even though that Tempest game you were on our team for wasn't that great.

FyreWulff

Seems to me that the last weekly (300 Precision Weapon kills) would have made more sense to encourage TU list participation than a 50 win one.

feel

Thagomizer said:
I've never understood why it needs to be slow; why can't Sprint just be faster than the base? You'd have "basic running" and "wow, look at that fucker move!"
That would only be said in a friendly LAN environment, or the very first time you saw it or something. In matchmaking you would be raging hard everytime you saw for the billionth time an enemy complete disappear from your view after you got him down to one shot. It could maybe work as a piece of equipment that you could pick up and use only a couple of times total to tactically get to a flag very fast or something.

Tunavi

Banned
A27 Tawpgun said:
Thats not our stephen is it?
I wouldn't call him our steven. No one here likes him, except for N00bs.

but wow, thats up there with Trounce's message, I'm laughing so hard right now.

ElRenoRaven

Tunavi said:
I wouldn't call him our steven. No one here likes him, except for N00bs.

but wow, thats up there with Trounce's message, I'm laughing so hard right now.

Really can't say that it surprises me to be honest.

PooBone

After an evening of Halo Reach in the TU Beta playlist, my faith is restored. God it felt soooooooo good. I wasn't amazing in every game by a long shot, but I was definitely back to true form, and I never died wondering "wtf?"

Also, while many players ran for power weapons, I didn't, and that was totally my style in earlier Halos. I got owned by rockets and swords a few times but it was okay.

Way to go 343.

stephen08

Nice of you to post the following discussion Havok.

I already apologized for the mistake but I'm still not sold that you were not holding the objective. You specifically had 31 seconds of holding the bomb, Striker had 96, Fox had 0, and EfficientEight (the random) had 0 as well. Your team was vastly outslaying us yet the only time you touched the ball was when you planted at the end.

Anyway, I was annoyed at having to deal with people quitting out on me in the previous matches so I was not in the best mood. So again, sorry if I am wrong but looking at the game more in depth I am not convinced.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
stephen08 said:

I already apologized for the mistake but I'm still not sold that you were not holding the objective. You specifically had 31 seconds of holding the bomb, Striker had 96, Fox had 0, and EfficientEight (the random) had 0 as well. Your team was vastly outslaying us yet the only time you touched the ball was when you planted at the end.

Anyway, I was annoyed at having to deal with people quitting out on me in the previous matches so I was not in the best mood. So again, sorry if I am wrong but looking at the game more in depth I am not convinced.

Suck less

heckfu

Banned
I think the TU hopper is pretty fun so far. I'm with the rest of you guys in thinking that the playlists aren't described well enough, though. Which are pistol starts, AR starts? DMR is easily classified enough but then everyone is like, "ZOMG HOT POTAYTOE."

Also, armor lock needs serious nerfing still. And by nerfing I mean deleted from the game. And by deleted from the game I mean sent into space and destroyed so no one can ever salvage it EVER.

But the reductions in bloom make me smile from ear to ear, 85% seems to be a neat sweet spot so far.

Havok

stephen08 said:

We don't do that, we just didn't have the setup to push up. In cases like that, we don't push up because that just leads to losing the bomb. Would you rather we just rushed like idiots? We didn't even know where the bomb was most of the game, because you guys had it. Fuck dude, the only reason we even HAD the bomb at the end was because you were shooting your own fucking teammates, to great laughter from us.

You're free not to believe me, but sending personal insults in messages that you're completely jumping to conclusions on is a shitty thing to do, and I don't feel bad for calling anyone out on it. What is it you guys say? "Being assholes to assholes?"

And no, saying that you were mistaken is not an apology for a ridiculous overreaction.

wwm0nkey

You know I am going to take back part of what I said, 85% bloom wont be bad as long as the pistol is the main weapon, seems to punish spamming and reward pacing more than the DMR does.

JdFoX187

Banned
stephen08 said:
Yeah people deserve to have the objective held on them if they aren't as proficient at the game as the opposing team. What a joke.
We were not objective holding. To the contrary, each of us had a specific role and the last would be the bomb carrier had our idiot random known how to hold X to pick up the bomb. We just saw an opening and armed it at the end.

Tawpgun

Wait, stephen got held on? Unintentionally or not? By a another gaffer?

So good.

No but really, it sounds like Havok couldn't get into the base. Link the film to the game.

stephen08

Havok said:
We don't do that, we just didn't have the setup to push up. In cases like that, we don't push up because that just leads to losing the bomb. We didn't even know where the bomb was most of the game, because you guys had it. Fuck dude, the only reason we even HAD the bomb at the end was because you were shooting your own fucking teammates, to great laughter from us.

You're free not to believe me, but sending personal insults in messages that you're completely jumping to conclusions on is a shitty thing to do, and I don't feel bad for calling anyone out on it. What is it you guys say? "Being assholes to assholes?"

And no, saying that you were mistaken is not an apology for a ridiculous overreaction.

Yeah that's fine, as long we are dispensing with the pleasantries. I have absolutely no doubt that you were holding the objective. All of your kills occurred on your half of the map, same with master fox, same with striker.

There is simply no way your team went that positive and could not put up a plant until the last 30 seconds of sudden death. Couple that with how much of a dick you are being on here about it and I have no trouble believing that's what you did.

It's not a big deal to me since I only went -2 overall. But hey, thanks for making the game miserable for Sliced Bread, the person I came in with. That's what really annoys me about the whole situation.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
wwm0nkey said:
Its HaloGAF so no lol

Also anyone want to get on for some TU Beta?
I do... But I gotta do homework.

QQ

PS: Are we XBL friends? Send me a request!

Ramirez

Thagomizer said:
I have no problem with sprint by itself, and I honestly don't understand why someone would actively dislike the concept of it.

-Sprint+melee
-Sprinting off spawn to either go directly back to where you died, or sprinting straight to the objective, negating any penalty for being killed.
-Sprinting away from a fight, especially when you're almost dead.

It's lame, wasn't needed in 1,2, or 3, and I certainly didn't see people clamoring for it prior to Reach. What's funny is that it was planned for Halo 2, but ultimately scrapped, and never even mentioned for 3. I think the core group of guys knew that it didn't fit Halo, but then we get Reach, headed up by new comers to the series.

senador

Banned
Who gives a shit if they did hold? "Halo honor" isn't real and means nothing. Good hell. If its really that unbearable just quit and move on to the next game.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
senador said:
Who gives a shit if they did hold? "Halo honor" isn't real and means nothing. Good hell. If its real that unbearable just quit and move on to the next game.

Halo Honor is tracked invisibly on the backend. You have fourteen chivalry units in your account, currently.

PNut

Banned
I'm so glad I like vanilla Reach the way it is, minus the jet-pack in Arena, evade in any thing other than Invasion, and over powered grenades.

85% bloom is sweet. I wish it could be implemented across the board. MM, Firefight, Customs and Campaign. I know that can't happen. Also, for some reason grenades seem more over powered now since melee was nerfed. What is this? Just me?

Zero bloom is weird. It might work as a playlist like Swat or Snipers.

Edit- Jetpack needs to be removed from Arena. It breaks map control in competitive playlists. Why can't people understand this. It's a pick up in MLG FOR A REASON.

stephen08

Ramirez said:
-Sprint+melee
-Sprinting off spawn to either go directly back to where you died, or sprinting straight to the objective, negating any penalty for being killed.
-Sprinting away from a fight, especially when you're almost dead.

It's lame, wasn't needed in 1,2, or 3, and I certainly didn't see people clamoring for it prior to Reach. What's funny is that it was planned for Halo 2, but ultimately scrapped, and never even mentioned for 3. I think the core group of guys knew that it didn't fit Halo, but then we get Reach, headed up by new comers to the series.

That's not accurate. The creative director for Reach was Marcus Lehto and the executive producer was Joseph Tung both veterans of the Halo series. The sandbox leads were new but the actual people directing development were most certainly not.

senador said:
Who gives a shit if they did hold? "Halo honor" isn't real and means nothing. Good hell. If its really that unbearable just quit and move on to the next game.

Yeah man, who needs good sportsmanship?

Ramirez

stephen08 said:
That's not accurate. The creative director for Reach was Marcus Lehto and the executive producer was Joseph Tung both veterans of the Halo series. The sandbox leads were new but the actual people directing development were most certainly not.

Lehto was the past titles art lead, no? Art guys aren't known for their leet Halo skills and competitive balancing. The sandbox people were new, and the sandbox changed more than anything, how can I not blame them?

Also, lolz@you for getting pooped on by them, those guys wouldn't objective hold, deal with it.

senador

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Halo Honor is tracked invisibly on the backend. You have fourteen chivalry units in your account, currently.

Is that good or bad? Can I buy future DLC with them? :)

stephen08 said:
Yeah man, who needs good sportsmanship?

Meh. Its a game. Stop acting holier than thou and trying to police the game. You can't change people.

Also, I've looked through your game history and you aren't the saint you make yourself out to be.

Just watch this and be happy. :)

stephen08

Ramirez said:
Lehto was the past titles art lead, no? Art guys aren't known for their leet Halo skills and competitive balancing. The sandbox people were new, and the sandbox changed more than anything, how can I not blame them?

Also, lolz@you for getting pooped on by them, those guys wouldn't objective hold, deal with it.

You can blame them but saying Reach itself was directed by newcomers is just factually incorrect.

senador said:
Meh. Its a game. Stop acting holier than thou and trying to police the game. You can't change people.

Also, I've looked through your game history and you aren't the saint you make yourself out to be.

Just watch this and be happy. :)

Oh I'm not trying to change people, I just call people out on this stuff. Same thing in any other game where people abuse the rules/limitations. It adversely effects the community and no matter how many halo honour jokes are made that will still be the case. If you don't think it's a big deal then fine, but don't tell me I'm not allowed to call people out on this.

Ramirez

stephen08 said:
You can blame them but saying Reach itself was directed by newcomers is just factually incorrect.

The people who shaped the games multiplayer were newcomers, that isn't factually incorrect. Don't tell Sage, he'll ruin it!

Havok

A27 Tawpgun said:
No but really, it sounds like Havok couldn't get into the base. Link the film to the game.
http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=24030300&player=Havok CXVII

Feel free to tell me "what a bitch" I am if you want to, it's all the rage these days. It was a sniper POV (something something long distance kills), so it might not be incredibly exciting. I'm sure I have plenty of embarrassing deaths in there, too :/ Saved films for Halo 4 should include game chat, just to make it even more clear.

And lol, pleasantries don't enter into the equation when somebody opens with a personal insult.

Tawpgun

stephen08 said:
Executive producer doesn't do much with the game, right?

That leaves creative director, who I see as more of a generalized role. The biggest influences on reach are the lead designers. AKA Sage and New Peeps.

That's not to say Marcus couldn't have axxed horrible decisions like Armor Lock, but like Ram said, he was an art director. Not exactly a person experienced in gameplay or sandbox design.

feel

OuterWorldVoice said:
lmao

this needs to be a thing, who gives a shit about k/d and exp ranks besides tryhards trying to try harder than other tryhards, halo honor would actually be a worthwhile stat to improve and show off

Tawpgun

Letters said:
lmao

this needs to be a thing, who gives a shit about k/d and exp ranks besides tryhards trying to try harder than other tryhards, halo honor would actually be a worthwhile stat to improve and show off

Team Honor: First to 50 Halo Honor points wins.

Top Bottom