• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Dani said:
Loadouts have become a staple of modern console FPS....

3AQmK.gif
UGH

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Rickenslacker said:
I really hate sprint in FPS games because of the way it changes how I do movement. I'm adding an extra button press there for no reason. Oh but I do get to hear obligatory pants and groans, woo, totally what I want to hear.

I agree to a point. For me Halo is way too slow though. Either include regular sprint or speed up the "leisurely stroll" speed.

In every single piece of Halo fiction they make Spartans out to be amazing super soldiers, and talk about how they can lift cars and sprint super fast, yet in the games you feel like a slow tank instead of an elite soldier.

I hope Halo 4 has sprint, honestly. It changes the game up, yes, but it's time for a bit of re-imagining in Halo. Take away AA's if you must, but add in sprint.

Rickenslacker said:
1. No, it's strictly a matchmaking/multiplayer gametype thing.

Thanks for answering, man. Two more followup questions, if you don't mind:

1) Does the TU affect Firefight as well?
2) Does the Anniversary Firefight map (Installation 04) use CE weapon set (i.e. CE pistol) or does it use Reach weapons?

Spartans can lift tanks in the games...but gameplay matters more than being fictionally correct. Sprint, I think, is detrimental to the gameplay (sword and sprint says it all). It needs to be taken out, and you don't need it if you have a fast enough base player speed.

ElRenoRaven

Epyon MX said:

2) Does the Anniversary Firefight map (Installation 04) use CE weapon set (i.e. CE pistol) or does it use Reach weapons?

1. No TU doesn't affect Firefight
2. It is in the Reach Sandbox so it will use Reach weapons.

Dax01 said:
Spartans can lift tanks in the games...but gameplay matters more than being fictionally correct. Sprint, I think, is detrimental to the gameplay (sword and sprint says it all). It needs to be taken out, and you don't need it if you have a fast enough base player speed.

Exactly. Gameplay trumps fiction and always has. That's one thing I've always appreciated is that yes fiction is important but Bungie never sacrificed gameplay just for the fiction. Hence why in ODST they could rip turrets off the stands etc like Spartans. Bungie said flat out they allowed that because it was fun.

That's one thing I hope 343 retains. I hope that while trying to focus on the fiction more, they don't get so rigid that it comes before gameplay.

Epyon MX said:

1. No.
2. I'm not entirely sure, but seeing as the TU hasn't currently done anything with Firefight I doubt we'll see the CE pistol in there.

PsychoRaven said:
That doesn't make them good.
co-signed.
kylej said:
If you're not having fun just quit out. Good lord it's a video game. Reminds me of all the people who worry about their k/d ratio; nobody looks at your Bnet profile besides yourself. Nobody gives a shit. Quitting one game or going negative or whatever means nothing.

I swear half the people at HaloGAF never played competitive sports or like a challenge. Losing sucks. Take it like a man or quit.
No offense, but this is only evidence that you don't lose many games or have to deal with quitters very often. It's so easy for you to say that. And I would argue that most of the people who defend objective holding are in the same boat. I played some games with you the other day. You're good and you play with other groups of equally or close to equally skilled players. But the average Reach player who jumps into matchmaking, solo, has to deal with losses and quitters all the time. And not just losses, mind you, but absolute beatings. If they were to really take your advice, they'd be quit banned pretty quickly. It's not fair to assume that everyone experiences what you experience with massive winning streaks. Sure, for you, sucking it up and taking a loss like a man is not a big deal, because you don't have to deal with quitters and losses on a regular basis. But I think you and other people would be singing a different tune if you guys had to experience the opposite end of the spectrum.

Also, teams are never uneven in competitive sports. They can't just quit out and leave their team to deal with the rest of the crap. And I'd throw the challenge back at the objective holders. Certainly, there's no challenge from donging on lesser skilled players. And no amount of competitive spirit is going to make the beating more enjoyable.

These last pages, :lol

Played some TU gametypes yesterday and didn't really enjoy it. I think it's because of the movement speed like some other people said. It feels to slow to actually evade shots. That and the pistol being redicilously overpowered. Elzar even was able to kill me!

ElRenoRaven

Awesome Barlow said:
That looks pretty cool actually.

Just curious but what is everyone's favorite menu?

For me it is Halo 2 followed closely by Halo 1. I miss the old style menus that flew around.

You know I've never really hated any of them but again Reach's I'm not that keen on. I prefer all my options on one screen. I like it simple. Something like this:

Campaign
Multiplayer
Theater
Options
Extras

Under Campaign option you'd have Single Player and Co-op campaign. Multiplayer you would have Firefight, matchmaking, server browser, etc. The other options should be obvious.

Awesome Barlow said:

For me it is Halo 2 followed closely by Halo 1. I miss the old style menus that flew around.
I dig Halo 2's menu, for the same reason I really like 3's I guess, but since 3 felt like a retread I give the favour to 2's. Mostly with the blue aesthetic and music playing. Actually on second thought maybe I'll give it to Halo 3 because I always liked the piano bit in Never Forget that plays during it.

Tha Robbertster said:
These last pages, :lol

Played some TU gametypes yesterday and didn't really enjoy it. I think it's because of the movement speed like some other people said. It feels to slow to actually evade shots. That and the pistol being redicilously overpowered. Elzar even was able to kill me!

oefy2.gif

Awesome Barlow said:

I once had a big LAN party at my house about nine years ago. Everyone had gone to sleep except for me and two of my friends. We sat in my garage talking for about 3 hours while the Halo CE menu looped on a nearby TV.

I don't think I'll ever forget that menu. The floating ring and the glorious music just trigger so many happy memories for me. I've watched the idle/attract video countless times.

If I had to rank them:
Halo CE
Halo 2 - (Mostly for the nostalgia and music too.)
Halo 3 Beta - (dat Valhalla)
Halo: Reach
Halo: Reach Beta
Halo 3
Halo 3: ODST
Halo 3: Mythic

Of course, this is just judging from the actual title screen. Reach is #2 for me if you take into account ALL of the menus.

Deputy Moonman said:
I think the concept of Halo honor is retarded. But there is something to be said about being considerate of other players' experiences and proper gaming etiquette. But that's just me.
There is no real concept of "Halo Honor". It's a HaloGAF meme that was originally a counter-response to the vitriolic condemnation (initially levied by yours truly, but also by others) of avoiding the objective against an undermatched opponent for the purpose of slaying.

Tunavi said:
You suck, McBain!

Karl2177

Team Hot Potato? Fuck that. I've had enough of this shitty game already. There are only morons playing this hellhole at this time of day. Maybe I'll try later. Nope. Still goddamn morons populating every fucking playlist, and the ones that don't know how to play are put on my team.

Ramirez

stephen08 said:
I would disagree. It's possible more people would quit out on you now than they did in Halo 3 but that wouldn't necessarily be true for the population at large.

Also, if you are having connection issues that consistently you absolutely should get hit with it. Does it make a difference to people in the game whether you quit out or lagged out?

In general I would shy away from using the incentive system to penalize players. Mostly because I think it would be ineffective. People will still quit out if they aren't having fun and people will still be dicks and hold the objective on people. The fixes should be things that directly counter those behaviors not an attempted incentive driven behavioral modifier. Inevitably you will get instances where either A. people just don't care about the economy anymore (ie max rank or apathy towards the system in general) or B. derive more joy from the unwanted behavior than they get from the otherwise earned credits.

I can't read your garbage anymore, ugh.

kylej

Banned
PooBone said:
kylej, if you get into a game on MM, you shouldn't quit, whether you're having fun or not. Getting your ass kicked usually isn't fun, but there's no point ruining it for everyone else. If you aren't man enough to lose in a 5 minute game of Halo, then don't play the game, period. Fuckin hate quitters.

And yes I played sports. STFU.

If you're getting your shit pushed in I really don't whose game will be ruined by you quitting. The dongers will hope for a better match, and the rest of your teammates were already getting crapped on. By the way, is your gimmick going to be telling me to "STFU" from now on? Should I take a ride on the ROFLCOPTER? Can I haz Cheeseburger?

Deputy Moonman said:
You're good and you play with other groups of equally or close to equally skilled players. But the average Reach player who jumps into matchmaking, solo, has to deal with losses and quitters all the time. And not just losses, mind you, but absolute beatings. If they were to really take your advice, they'd be quit banned pretty quickly. It's not fair to assume that everyone experiences what you experience with massive winning streaks. Sure, for you, sucking it up and taking a loss like a man is not a big deal, because you don't have to deal with quitters and losses on a regular basis. But I think you and other people would be singing a different tune if you guys had to experience the opposite end of the spectrum.

And whose fault is it that "the average Reach player who jumps into matchmaking, solo, has to deal with losses and quitters all the time."? The fallacy of getting angry and sending dumb messages to people 'objective holding' is that you shouldn't be getting paired with such uneven teams in the first place. Bungie and Microsoft's podunk matchmaking is to blame.

Last time I played Reach, I won 17 straight games in less than 2 hours. I spent more time in the lobby and searching than I did playing. The only way to have fun with this shitty game is to slay scrubs, because if you don't you'll never spend more than 3 seconds in a game. I would love to play teams of 4 all day long. In Squad we get garbage. In MLG we get garbage. In TO we get garbage. The one game I've lost out of my last 50, I couldn't call out and wasn't paying attention because my roommate came in at the start and was trying to sleep. It's just so unbelievably boring. If it weren't for the people, I would've stopped playing Reach 6 months ago, and even with the people I spend half my time browsing the internet mid-game.

Also, teams are never uneven in competitive sports.

uh

GhaleonEB

Karl2177 said:
Who cares if it's hilarious? It's not fun.
It's Oddball with an exploding ball. I like Oddball, but the mode exposes the nooks and crannies on maps where you can wedge the carrier and defend with ease; once a team is there the game is basically over (hi, Sword Base). The periodic detonations help spread the field a bit and keep the game interesting.

I think it's great fun.

kylej said:
If you're not having fun just quit out. Good lord it's a video game. Reminds me of all the people who worry about their k/d ratio; nobody looks at your Bnet profile besides yourself. Nobody gives a shit. Quitting one game or going negative or whatever means nothing.

I swear half the people at HaloGAF never played competitive sports or like a challenge. Losing sucks. Take it like a man or quit.

This is funny, because the few times I have played with you I hear a lot of rage when you dont get a kill, or start losing.

kylej

Banned
A27_StarWolf said:
This is funny, because the few times I have played with you I hear a lot of rage when you dont get a kill, or start losing.

It is funny that I get competitive while playing a competitive first person shooter, I agree. You running around with a dino launcher or some shit while people are absolute or low shields also tends to be annoying as fuck.

Tunavi

Banned
Wow. You can't nerf invis hard enough. Just take it out of this game. They took radar jammer out of halo 3 for a reason

GhaleonEB said:
It's Oddball with an exploding ball. I like Oddball, but the mode exposes the nooks and crannies on maps where you can wedge the carrier and defend with ease; once a team is there the game is basically over (hi, Sword Base). The periodic detonations help spread the field a bit and keep the game interesting.

I think it's great fun.

It's basically a gametype that tries to make up for poor map design.

GhaleonEB

Steelyuhas said:
It's basically a gametype that tries to make up for poor map design.
Pretty much. I remember playing Oddball on Powerhouse in the beta and it basically became a race of getting the ball carrier into the shower room, and into the lift room on Sword Base. That was it. Now, the detonations combined with roaming spawn points mix up the flow of the game.

It's not a serious competitive game type (nothing with heavy random elements can be) - I'd categorize along side stuff like Speedpile and Hog Potato (woo). But I've had fun with it every time I've played.

Tunavi said:
They took radar jammer out of halo 3 for a reason
Which, funnily enough, had nothing to do with it's ability to jam radars. It, and the flare, were taken out of MM because of the jumps that could be done using them (or something to that effect).

GhaleonEB said:
Pretty much. I remember playing Oddball on Powerhouse in the beta and it basically became a race of getting the ball carrier into the shower room, and into the lift room on Sword Base. That was it. Now, the detonations combined with roaming spawn points mix up the flow of the game.

It's not a serious competitive game type (nothing with heavy random elements can be) - I'd categorize along side stuff like Speedpile and Hog Potato (woo). But I've had fun with it every time I've played.
Also, if you add Pro-Pipe starts with infinite ammo to it, and get rid of every other weapon, it makes the greatest gametype ever made.

I like it because it gives the other team a chance of grabbing the ball no matter how bad it is.

Striker

Oddball itself is fine, just not a typical gametype that should be used for every map like they have wanted to do since Halo 3/Reach. Just because you can cram a gametype into a map doesn't make it work, or fun.

Tunavi said:
Wow. You can't nerf invis hard enough. Just take it out of this game. They took radar jammer out of halo 3 for a reason
Because it was glitchy, and wasn't fixed.

In fact the Jammer would have been the one of the least offensive pieces of equipment hadn't they dropped it.

kylej said:
It is funny that I get competitive while playing a competitive first person shooter, I agree. You running around with a dino launcher or some shit while people are absolute or low shields also tends to be annoying as fuck.

Like you said its about having fun, I have fun when I play Halo, however I want to play.

I was just calling you out on the losing thing, take your own advice, take it like a man.

Hydranockz said:
Great, now you jinxed it!

Ebb and flow, ebb and flow :p Give us a few days and we'll be alright. Better than pregnant Halo character pics any day of the week!
Hell yes.

While I do like ZB gametypes more than default Reach, the firefights don't have that smooth elegance of BR fights. I think that's because the BR had a fixed firing rate.

senador

Banned
Devolution said:
I'll be honest I don't think there is enough objective "griefing" to warrant a stripping of medals and such. Like be honest, of all of the objective games you play, how often do you run into so-called "holders." Is it really that common?

Every game in which he loses. :D

Dax01 said:
Hell yes.

While I do like ZB gametypes more than default Reach, the firefights don't have that smooth elegance of BR fights. I think that's because the BR had a fixed firing rate.
I do find myself pacing slightly though. Once the movement speed is increased I think it will become ever more apparent how important strafing ad pacing your shots become.

kylej

Banned
A27_StarWolf said:
Like you said its about having fun, I have fun when I play Halo, however I want to play.

I was just calling you out on the losing thing, take your own advice, take it like a man.

I never know how to decipher your terrible posts. I never said Halo was about sunshine and roses and everyone holding hands. I said losing sucks, but quitting out of game you're not having fun in is not a big deal. Believe it or not, you can have fun while playing competitively. Next time I play with you I'll be sure to shout out "Whee yay this is so fun" throughout the match to ensure you grasp this basic concept.

Striker said:
Oddball itself is fine, just not a typical gametype that should be used for every map like they have wanted to do since Halo 3/Reach. Just because you can cram a gametype into a map doesn't make it work, or fun.

Yeah this is really important, you can't just put oddball on any map. You can't put it on Swordbase, nor can you put any other gametype of Swordbase, it's just an awful map.

Hydranockz said:
Great, now you jinxed it!

Ebb and flow, ebb and flow :p Give us a few days and we'll be alright. Better than pregnant Halo character pics any day of the week!

Oh lord, I'll take the fights over that anytime.

The three biggest problems with Reach matchmaking from a highly-skilled player's perspective: population, population, population. There typically aren't enough good players playing often enough to give fair matches to those at the higher end of the skill distribution.

Last night was the first night in a long time in which I felt like I was being competitively matched (in the TU Beta playlist).

senador said:
Every game in which he loses. :D
God, you are up her butt so bad.

Top Bottom