• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Dax01 said:
Deadly, those animations you want? They're in Reach if I'm understand correctly what you want.

I'll have to jump on Reach and pay more attention. To me it just still feels like you are in this intense firefight just walking around.

daedalius

Judderman said:
Nah man, we need more games of Slayer on Boardwalk, WOO!

At least its not on Uncaged?

Going back and forth between ZB and 85% is weird, throws off my pace, etc. I wonder if they've thought about putting an RoF cap on the DMR at all, or if its even possible. I'd much rather just have a RoF capped ZB gun, more like the h2 BR.

GhaleonEB said:
Just tossing an idea out there. I'll pick something right before posting. :lol

Going to keep this one simpler and bit cleaner than the others. I've learned a bit more about integrating images, less on tons of bullet points.
I don't know maybe make a big Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary & 10th Anniversary of Halo OT? With a timeline etc. :)

Edit.: Do we get a Bulletin today? Anyone know?

feel

Why won't we be moving to the CEA |OT| for all discussion??? ODST thread became home to all halogaf discussion (even including Halo 3 campaign stuff).

I'm so sick of seeing Reach in the title and it will be an outdated place to talk about Halo after the CEA release. Except for people like Tashi and neoism, I tought you all would more into moving on from this OT.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hypertrooper said:
No. It has to be. Did you play against a full team of Armor lockers and Jetpackers? Hell. Btw. Respawns need some fixes in ZB.

What about a zero bloom playlist with sprint only, but infinite sprint? Would love to see what that feels like.

Letters said:
Why won't we be moving to the CEA |OT| for all discussion??? ODST thread became home to all halogaf discussion (even including Halo 3 campaign stuff).

I'm so sick of seeing Reach in the title and it will be an outdated place to talk about Halo after the CEA release.
I'm still for a HaloGAF thread. :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hi guys.

I don't plan on imposing any kind of heavy-handed moderation, I know you guys kind of like having your own little enclave, and you're pretty well behaved so I don't think anything needs to change, but insulting other GAF members is not acceptable.

Just a reminder. Cheers.

stephen08

Ramirez said:
I can't read your garbage anymore, ugh.

How about you actually explain why you disagree instead of posting this tripe?

If a teammate drops from your team or an opponent quits out it makes no difference to the rest of the players involved in the game whether that was a quit or a legitimate connection issue. The quit ban was introduced to penalize quitters for leaving matches early. I see no reason why it should not handle a disconnect as a quit.

Also, I would say that if your internet connection is spotty enough that you are getting quit banned solely from dropped games then that is something you need to address. Or at the very least, suffer the consequences of.

thee henery said:
Tuned in to Devin Olson's stream, heard Dax root for Tempest over ZB on Anchor 9, see Tempest, 85% bloom and afking, tuned out.
Yeah. Anchor 9 is even a better map than Tempest.

Otherthing: Shotgun is really useless now. If the enemy just have one shot with the Pistol in advance, they will win the duel in close range. Unfortunately. :( Maybe it was because of lag. I have to try out again.

kylej

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Hi guys.

I don't plan on imposing any kind of heavy-handed moderation, I know you guys kind of like having your own little enclave, and you're pretty well behaved so I don't think anything needs to change, but insulting other GAF members is not acceptable.

Just a reminder. Cheers.

The man who was born and raised at SA posting this. Helldump never forget.

thee henery said:
Tuned in to Devin Olson's stream, heard Dax root for Tempest over ZB on Anchor 9, see Tempest, 85% bloom and afking, tuned out.
lol. I didn't think it would be that bad, and I like Tempest. But it wouldn't have been as bad if everyone on the team was playing.

Sorry I quit out, Devin, but I wasn't paying attention to the time and I realized I had to sit down and write a paper.

Hypertrooper said:
I'm still for a HaloGAF thread. :p

Me too. Not sure if it's allowed, but I'd prefer:

HaloGAF |OT1| Reach and Anniversary (Community Side)

Halo CEA |OT| Why would you hesitate to do what you have already done? (Gaming Side)

If not, I'd rather just keep HaloGAF in the Reach thread and leave the CEA thread to the Gaming side masses.

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
Hirednoobs is banned.

I think I might've skipped a page or two on my phone.

*goes back and reads everything*

WOW. I want to say it shocks me but it doesn't. The thread was getting too heated. Eventually someone was going to get hit.

Anyway moving on. I agree. Let's just get it over and go with Halogaf OT. If not I wouldn't mind a move to Halo Anniversary being the primary home for all things Halo at that point. As mentioned we have kind of moved on with the next game to talk about all things Halo.

feel

ncsuDuncan said:

Halo CEA |OT| Why would you hesitate to do what you have already done? (Gaming Side)

If not, I'd rather just keep HaloGAF in the Reach thread and leave the CEA thread to the Gaming side masses.
I love that halogaf subtitle there. No witty references or inside jokes that make possible new members feel alienated before entering, just the names of the current games. Perfect. Also with HaloGAF |OT| we can keep the OT numbers going for years.

GhaleonEB said:
Just tossing an idea out there. I'll pick something right before posting. :lol

Going to keep this one simpler and bit cleaner than the others. I've learned a bit more about integrating images, less on tons of bullet points.

Not having ago infact i like it but.

Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary |OT| Halo gone 360. <- i was implying the same with this its relevant to both Halo coming to the 360 and going full circle back to halo ce.

Whatever your the boss man, i very much like all your titles.

Karl2177

stephen08 said:
How about you actually explain why you disagree instead of posting this tripe?

If a teammate drops from your team or an opponent quits out it makes no difference to the rest of the players involved in the game whether that was a quit or a legitimate connection issue. The quit ban was introduced to penalize quitters for leaving matches early. I see no reason why it should not handle a disconnect as a quit.

Also, I would say that if your internet connection is spotty enough that you are getting quit banned solely from dropped games then that is something you need to address. Or at the very least, suffer the consequences of.
The quit ban was a stupid addition in the first place. It really shouldn't matter, because if there isn't an incentive for a player to stay in the game or a decentive for quitting, he/she isn't going to stay in the game. You almost act as if playing the game is a responsibility, and you should uphold that responsibility even if it isn't fun(which ironically enough the game is supposed to be). Then when it isn't fun for you, it's the fault of the other players, not the game. This is why you incessantly complain when objective holding is brought up, saying that these players are responsible for your unenjoyment. No. It's a combination of poor play, good play, and lack of boundaries for players. Throw in the shoddy cR system for rewarding time over performance, and yet you still blame the players.

Typing that actually gave me a spark of an idea. What if performance reward was inversely related to the time spent reward in game? The shorter the game, the more performance credits you receive for a win, and about half of that for losing. You have a long game that goes through the whole 12 minutes, and your time reward is large, but your performance is low because it took so long to finish them off.

ncsuDuncan said:

Fantastic.

GhaleonEB

I was thinking of thread titles on the way to work and this popped into my head:

Halo: Reach |OT7| There Are Things About Halo Even Community Veterans Do Not Understand

Dax01 said:
I thought we were going to have one thread for the campaign and then we'll continue the Reach OTs for the MP.
'
Yeah that's what I thought we were doing as well. The Multiplayer is a map pack for Reach, so I see no reason why MP shouldn't be in the Reach OT's.

GhaleonEB said:
I was thinking of thread titles on the way to work and this popped into my head:

Halo: Reach |OT7| There Are Things About Halo Even Community Veterans Do Not Understand

I LOVE that!

Lol at HaloGAF civil war leading to a ban. Some members are just super mature I guess.

ncsuDuncan said:

Ooh. These are good.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
lol

Halo Reach |OT7| Dat Halo Veteran Status

:lol still the funniest post of the year

Yea Cyren, I'm still going. I get there on Thursday around 6pm. My teammate is looking for hotels right now nearby, I'm just going to split it with him.

ncsuDuncan said:

Yep, winner. Gets my vote at least.

Karl2177 said:
What if performance reward was inversely related to the time spent reward in game? The shorter the game, the more performance credits you receive for a win, and about half of that for losing. You have a long game that goes through the whole 12 minutes, and your time reward is large, but your performance is low because it took so long to finish them off.
Absolutely brilliant idea. I wouldn't be surprised though if it was thought of and put back in the box by the developers. I personally like the idea though.

Just my two cents:

ZB slayer is fun, but a bit to intense for my blood to play in it all evening long. Completely re-thinking how I play Halo is kind of a tough pill to swallow.

Sprinting towards someone is no longer a viable strategy to melee. If there are pistols involved you'll die too soon.

You must pay attention to everyone you see on-screen because now they can hit you and kill you in a short amount of time, no matter how far away.

It's hard to tell on wide open maps where shots are coming from because of the length of the hits from opponents across the map.

I have a few more salty points, but that's all I have time to type.

Judderman said:
I don't like Boardwalk. I actually don't like alot of maps in this game.

Not liking Boardwalk is the proper feeling. Don't know if there is any other map in the Halo games that is more awkward to move around. It just doesn't feel like a multiplayer space.

Steelyuhas said:
Not liking Boardwalk is the proper feeling. Don't know if there is any other map in the Halo games that is more awkward to move around. It just doesn't feel like a multiplayer space.
The Cage? Sword Base?

stephen08

Karl2177 said:
The quit ban was a stupid addition in the first place. It really shouldn't matter, because if there isn't an incentive for a player to stay in the game or a decentive for quitting, he/she isn't going to stay in the game. You almost act as if playing the game is a responsibility, and you should uphold that responsibility even if it isn't fun(which ironically enough the game is supposed to be). Then when it isn't fun for you, it's the fault of the other players, not the game. This is why you incessantly complain when objective holding is brought up, saying that these players are responsible for your unenjoyment. No. It's a combination of poor play, good play, and lack of boundaries for players. Throw in the shoddy cR system for rewarding time over performance, and yet you still blame the players.

Typing that actually gave me a spark of an idea. What if performance reward was inversely related to the time spent reward in game? The shorter the game, the more performance credits you receive for a win, and about half of that for losing. You have a long game that goes through the whole 12 minutes, and your time reward is large, but your performance is low because it took so long to finish them off.

I cannot agree with that at all. Saying that people are not responsible for their in game actions is just flat out not true. It's the players who decide to quit or decide to be jerks. They should suffer the consequences of these actions. Another freedom is friendly fire. This can be abused though and thus necessitates the boot from game option. You are arguing that the since you are free to perform the action (betraying, quitting, griefing) there should be no consequence (booting, quit ban, ?).

One other point to bring up. There seems to be this notion flying around that because this is just a game player behavior is trivial. I very much disagree. Have you ever gone to a movie and had an obnoxious audience member ruin the experience? When you go to a movie there is this unwritten expectation by everyone else that you won't interfere with the enjoyment of the entertainment you are all there for. It's the same thing with gaming really the only difference being player actions have a direct effect on one another and that the theater is a host box where everyone connects to.

It shouldn't be difficult, don't quit unless absolutely necessary and don't needlessly draw out the game to cause others grief. But apparently, we aren't mature enough as a community to do these things so they have to be enforced by external means.

thezerofire said:
The Cage? Sword Base?

Cage and Swordbase are terrible maps, and worse than Boardwalk, but Boardwalk just feels awkward to play on unlike any other Halo map. I don't know how to really put it into words, but like I said it just doesn't feel like a multiplayer space.

Steelyuhas said:
Cage and Swordbase are terrible maps, and worse than Boardwalk, but Boardwalk just feels awkward to play on unlike any other Halo map. I don't know how to really put it into words, but like I said it just doesn't feel like a multiplayer space.
Yeah that's true. And you're only in it for like 10 seconds in campaign. You'd think they'd make a better multiplayer space if they weren't really going to use it as a campaign space.

Steelyuhas said:

I think its because the action was meant to take place from higher sniper to lower sniper and the "boardwalk" area was for suicide runs. I remember reading it was created for boarding action esq encounters (not sure if true) where distance and accuracy came into play a great deal. The hole lower long section goes unused for the most part due to how awkward the layout is. Its full to brim with areas that are death traps. Jetpacks really dont help on a map like that either.

feel

What about calling the community thread Halo and just changing the subtitles as times passes and the games change? Anyone else dig it?

Halo |OT| Reach & Anniversary

daedalius said:
I for one am looking forward to the Anniversary playlist that will hopefully not include certain Reach maps.
I'm looking forward to the Anniversary playlist because it will hopefully include none of the Reach maps.

senador

Banned
Letters said:
What about calling the community thread Halo and just changing the subtitles as times passes and the games change? Anyone else dig it?

Halo |OT| Reach & Anniversary

I am a big fan of this.

thezerofire said:
I'm looking forward to the Anniversary playlist because it will hopefully include none of the Reach maps.

As long as the Anniversary maps are required, I'm not against having a mix of some of the Reach 4v4 maps in there (Countdown, Powerhouse, Reflection [H2 setup], Zealot, Unanchored). Couple that with Beaver Creek, Hang em' High, Damnation, and Prisoner and you get a nice variety of maps in the playlist.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Steelyuhas said:
So why is it that EVERY time Sword Base comes up it gets picked? Then multiple times in a row? AGHHHHH!

*Feels better*

Top Bottom