• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Steelyuhas said:
As long as the Anniversary maps are required, I'm not against having a mix of some of the Reach 4v4 maps in there (Countdown, Powerhouse, Reflection [H2 setup], Zealot, Unanchored). Couple that with Beaver Creek, Hang em' High, Damnation, and Prisoner and you get a nice variety of maps in the playlist.
Honestly Powerhouse is the only one I wouldn't mind seeing in there. Countdown has movement issues and weird unnecessary bits on the doors that make artificial chokepoints. Zealot is ok, but needs more ways to get from the bottom to the top

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I don't get why we can't keep having Halo Reach threads and then a separate Halo Anniversary thread. Why put them together? The Anniversary thread will be mainly for campaign and Halo CE talk while the Reach thread will incorporate the multiplayer changes that Anniversary brings (Maps, playlists and others)

kylej

Banned
our random quit, this kid couldn't beat us 4v3.

hemad.png

sick gamerpic bro.

xlje4z(3).jpg

Homeboyd

Another bulletin tonight! Wooooot. Forgot what day it was.

Seems like the last one was just yesterday.

vidocplsvidocplsvidocplsvidocplsvidocplsvidocpls

Steelyuhas said:
Cage and Swordbase are terrible maps, and worse than Boardwalk, but Boardwalk just feels awkward to play on unlike any other Halo map. I don't know how to really put it into words, but like I said it just doesn't feel like a multiplayer space.

I like multiplayer maps that have lots of overlapping loops - short paths you can take to get behind an enemy that is chasing you. Shortcut jumps that let you quickly move towards someone on your radar. Boardwalk is a lot of straight paths that present you with few options. A jetpack is required if you want to make one of the short circles that I loved in Lockout and Midship.

Check out my forge variant of Boardwalk, let me know what you think:
Promenade

I added new platforms, crates, and a grav lift or two to give players more movement options. Also moved the flag spawn to a more interesting spot. I wish variants like this could make it into matchmaking.

Letters said:
What about calling the community thread Halo and just changing the subtitles as times passes and the games change? Anyone else dig it?

Halo |OT| Reach & Anniversary
I'd be okay with this, although I like the idea of a thread with HaloGAF in the title. Gives our little community more of an identity.

Tashi0106 said:
I don't get why we can't keep having Halo Reach threads and then a separate Halo Anniversary thread. Why put them together? The Anniversary thread will be mainly for campaign and Halo CE talk while the Reach thread will incorporate the multiplayer changes that Anniversary brings (Maps, playlists and others)
I just don't want us to split Campaign people and Multiplayer people into different threads. I'd rather the split be between Gaming people and Community/HaloGAF people. If that means posting CEA stuff in a Reach thread then fine.

Tashi

ncsuDuncan said:
I just don't want us to split Campaign people and Multiplayer people into different threads. I'd rather the split be between Gaming people and Community/HaloGAF people. If that means posting CEA stuff in a Reach thread then fine.

At first it will be like that but it'll go back to normal. Every OT is a Halo community thread, there's no need to label it. We already talk about everything even remotely related to Halo in here and lots of times, things unrelated completely. The gaming side thread will die and everyone will be back in here talking about everything they already do.

feel

Tashi0106 said:
Why are you against it? It's not like your precious Reach will be removed from the title. Do you have something against a catch-all Halo |OT| that also treats the latest release (CEA) with respect and not like a map pack to a game that is no longer the latest one to come out?

We should all come up with a few possible solutions and then put it to a vote or something

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
ncsuDuncan said:
Me too. Not sure if it's allowed, but I'd prefer:

HaloGAF |OT1| Reach and Anniversary (Community Side)

Halo CEA |OT| Why would you hesitate to do what you have already done? (Gaming Side)

If not, I'd rather just keep HaloGAF in the Reach thread and leave the CEA thread to the Gaming side masses.
Yeah, I'd like this, too.

I've been bogged down with homework, and have only had enough time to play three games in the beta hopper. Underwhelming so far, but that's mostly just cause bad trueskill and quitters. I'm psyched to try it out more.

GhaleonEB

I think we'll see something akin to the Halo 3 thread vs. the ODST thread for a while, which had a simlar cross-title overlap with the MP maps. In the CEA thread, most discussion will center around the Campaign, but there will be people talking about the new maps and title update stuff. We regulars will talk about Campaign there, probably some here, and likely stick to Reach OT's for most MP stuff.

In a month or two, the CEA thread will die down except for those just picking it up, and we'll all be back into piling into the Reach threads for our regularly scheduled MP shenanegans.

My suggestion at the top of the CEA thread was going to be - go ahead and talk about Reach MP here, but try to keep it focused on the new stuff (Classic hoppers, new maps, etc.). But I don't think anyone will be enforcing hard rules, and the migration will take place naturally.

I'll ask about folding in CEA to this thread going forward. I think we'll do it regardless of label, but we might as well make it official. :lol

ncsuDuncan said:
I like multiplayer maps that have lots of overlapping loops - short paths you can take to get behind an enemy that is chasing you. Shortcut jumps that let you quickly move towards someone on your radar. Boardwalk is a lot of straight paths that present you with few options. A jetpack is required if you want to make one of the short circles that I loved in Lockout and Midship.

Check out my forge variant of Boardwalk, let me know what you think:
Promenade

I added new platforms, crates, and a grav lift or two to give players more movement options. Also moved the flag spawn to a more interesting spot. I wish variants like this could make it into matchmaking.

That's a pretty good description of the movement frustrations on the map. I queued your variant, I'll check it out next time I'm on.

Ramirez

orznge said:
Ramirez I peeped the Mass Effect wiki because I haven't played it and asked my friend about the Elcor and he explained to me and I was laughing so hard, you own

lmao! Yea, your posts were totally reminding me of his responses.

n00bs got banned, huh? Guess I have to dig back a few pages and see what happened. :p

Reach |OT6| hits 20,000 posts -> make Reach |OT7|

November 8th (a week before, right?) make the CEA |OT| on the Gaming side.

Reach |OT7| hits 20,000 posts -> make HaloGAF |OT1| Reach & Anniversary

I think it would be fitting to retire the dedicated Reach thread at 7.

Booshka

Ramirez said:
lmao! Yea, your posts were totally reminding me of his responses.

n00bs got banned, huh? Guess I have to dig back a few pages and see what happened. :p
He was fine until he lost it and started really getting aggressive and personal, out of fucking nowhere too.

wwm0nkey

ncsuDuncan said:
Me too. Not sure if it's allowed, but I'd prefer:

HaloGAF |OT1| Reach and Anniversary (Community Side)

Halo CEA |OT| Why would you hesitate to do what you have already done? (Gaming Side)

If not, I'd rather just keep HaloGAF in the Reach thread and leave the CEA thread to the Gaming side masses.
This

feel

ncsuDuncan said:
Reach |OT6| hits 20,000 posts -> make Reach |OT7|

November 8th (a week before, right?) make the CEA |OT| on the Gaming side.

Reach |OT7| hits 20,000 posts -> make HaloGAF |OT1| Reach & Anniversary

I think it would be fitting to retire the dedicated Reach thread at 7.
I vote for this. And quite the awesome coincidence there with the 7.

Tashi

Letters said:
Why are you against it? It's not like your precious Reach will be removed from the title. Do you have something against a catch-all Halo |OT| that also treats the latest release (CEA) with respect and not like a map pack to a game that is no longer the latest one to come out?

We should all come up with a few possible solutions and then put it to a vote or something

I just dislike the change. I don't see the need for it. These Official Halo threads are already catch-all Halo threads. Why create a whole new thread just to talk about the same shit?

There needs to be an Anniversary thread in the gaming side for those who aren't hardcore members of HaloGAF like us but I don't see how the release of Anniversary changes Reach enough to warrant a brand new thread.

This is how it should work

Halo Reach thread continues on incorporating what Anniversary adds to the multiplayer, much like ODST.
Halo Anniversary thread is formed in Gaming side
Halo Anniversary thread will eventually die
Halo Reach thread lives on until the release of Halo 4 when we all migrate over to that game.

An official catch-all Halo community thread will get all messed up once Halo 4 is released. The majority of posts in the Halo community will be Halo 4 related and in that thread so the community thread will die down.

Tashi0106 said:
I just dislike the change. I don't see the need for it. These Official Halo threads are already catch-all Halo threads. Why create a whole new thread just to talk about the same shit?

There needs to be an Anniversary thread in the gaming side for those who aren't hardcore members of HaloGAF like us but I don't see how the release of Anniversary changes Reach enough to warrant a brand new thread.

Halo Reach thread continues on incorporating what Anniversary adds to the multiplayer, much like ODST.
Halo Reach thread lives on until the release of Halo 4 when we all migrate over to that game.

An official catch-all Halo community thread will get all messed up once Halo 4 is released. The majority of posts in the Halo community will be Halo 4 related and in that thread so the community thread will die down.
CEA on the gaming side -> will die in two months.
Reach until OT7 -> after that it is going to be HaloGAF OT.
Halo 4 comes out -> OT in gaming side, will die in two months-3 months.

Booshka

I have no problem with Reach OT's until Halo 4, it's not like Halo CEA has Halo 1's MP anyway (cry), so might as well just keep it as a Reach thread if it is the Reach engine MP.

feel

Tashi0106 said:

Then this thread should be eventually in a new OT edited to Halo Reach & Anniversary |OT|

Feels wrong to continue to talk about all the stuff from the new disc on the thread of the old disc. All the Halo 3 discussion moved to the ODST thread so technically you're the one wanting change and to break tradition. :p

I'm trying to suggest middlegrounds.

edit-

@Wu Wow I had missed the ban post. I hope the attack to Ram was still on this record and this second offense resulted in a perm.

Tashi

Letters said:
Then this thread should be eventually in a new OT edited to Halo Reach & Anniversary |OT|

Feels wrong to continue to talk about all the stuff from the new disc on the thread of the old disc. All the Halo 3 discussion moved to the ODST thread so technically you're the one breaking tradition. :p

RIP Official Halo 3 thread. We were without a home for a while. That sucked

edit: Wait what? Won't most of us still be playing from our "old" discs after we're done with Anniversary campaign?

MrBig

People end up cross posting the same information or people come to the wrong place. But anniversary will need a topic in the Gaming side for the first month or so.

Hypertrooper said:
CEA on the gaming side -> will die in two months.
Reach until OT7 -> after that it is going to be HaloGAF OT.
Halo 4 comes out -> OT in gaming side, will die in two months-3 months.

and eventually

Halo 6: The Undiscovered Country |OT| (Gaming side)

HaloGAF |OT23| Halo 2 Anniversary & Halo 6 (Community side)

feel

Tashi0106 said:
RIP Official Halo 3 thread. We were without a home for a while. That sucked

edit: Wait what? Won't most of us still be playing from our "old" discs after we're done with Anniversary campaign?
It's Microsoft, they will somehow make playing from the CEA disc (using Reach as dlc) more desirable to get some more CEA sales from people planning to just get the CEA map pack. :)

Tashi0106 said:
If I can force a way to never play on Reach's stock maps again, the Anniversary disc is a straight upgrade.

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:
Pretty sure it was this post that pushed him over the edge.
I think this was probably the post that Stump was referring to when he asked for things to be toned down. It had gotten a little hot in here.

We went from HaloGAF civil war to decidedly uncivil war.

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:

I don't know, using just the CEA disc assures that I never have to play a regular Reach map again, almost too good to pass up.

ElRenoRaven

Louis Wu said:
Pretty sure it was this post that pushed him over the edge.

Yea. That would be my guess on the one that got it. That post was just way over the line and uncalled for.

Also the voting so far is interesting.

Halo |OT| Anniversary & Reach 7 (33%)

Seperate Halo: Reach |OT7| & Anniversary |OT1| 6 (29%)

HaloGaf |OT1| Anniversary & Reach 4 (19%)

Mike's House of Dong |OT1| We Luvs Haloz 4 (19%)

MrBig

Ramirez said:
I don't know, using just the CEA disc assures that I never have to play a regular Reach map again, almost too good to pass up.
You wouldn't be able to enter anything besides the classics playlists, I would assume. They have the ability to strip out access to playlists, eg the Reach demo.

feel

Ramirez said:
:lol

Man I wonder what kind of playlist variety they will have available on the CEA disc if you completely wipe Reach from the console?? They gotta make it worthwhile no? They can't just have 1 or 2 playlists for people who just have CEA and click on the multiplayer
option... mmm.. even if there's a few Reach maps I enjoy I wouldn't mind giving them up if they take all the bad and the grey ones with them. Complete nuking of Reach from my harddrive might end up being my route. I wish I could straight up choose in my matchmaking options what maps I want to play and the ones I don't.

v Yep. Fuck Reach, with so many other great mp games it's not worth spending time on it unless they deliver good playlists in November.

Ramirez

MrBig said:
You wouldn't be able to enter anything besides the classics playlists, I would assume. They have the ability to strip out access to playlists, eg the Reach demo.

You talk as if this is going to be a bad thing, I'm seriously done with regular Reach. CEA is my last hope for this rodeo, otherwise it's onward to waiting for Halo 4.

Pretty shitty post from Laughtrey too let's be honest and judging from Noob's later comment, Laughtrey and him have a bit of a history. I guess we'll never know.

Can we try be a bit nicer to people that join these discussions from now on? Even if they have Halo honour?

Noobs was always civil despite the constant berating of his opinions on here. Some of you guys are the worst. I think it is a damn shame he was banned.

ElRenoRaven

Hydranockz said:
Pretty shitty post from Laughtrey too let's be honest and judging from Noob's later comment, Laughtrey and him have a bit of a history. I guess we'll never know.

Can we try be a bit nicer to people that join these discussions from now on? Even if they have Halo honour?

Noobs was always civil despite the constant berating of his opinions on here. Some of you guys are the worst. I think it is a damn shame he was banned.

Um the only time people really got on him was when he'd start berating them. So he's no angel either. Also I didn't see anyone cross that line he did by make a post like he did. Keep in mind I've never disliked the guy the way others have either. If anything when he wasn't all over the honor stuff he was pretty likable I thought.

Top Bottom