• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

GhaleonEB said:
tldr: good stuff, depending on how well it's rolled out and how responsive the 343 team is in making updates. I just with it was a larger TU, and for that reason hope there's a sequel.
I believe that a large amount of the leftover problems can/should be addressed with a bit more hands-on approach to map/gametype combinations.

Loadouts: Why the camo loadout was available to maps with a sniper rifle on it after the problems it created were acknowledged is as baffling as having drop shields in Objective games. MLG should be a shining example of how gametypes and maps should marry together, rather than keeping the same generic loadouts on maps that play completely differently from one another. Evade should be kept to Elites (outside of MLG and the Community gametypes like Action Sack and Grifball), or at the bare minimum should only be offered to Spartans on the larger open maps in BTB where it would function more like Sprint.

Grenades: Being another problem that couldn't be addressed in the timeframe allotted, should from now on be treated as power weapons, particularly on smaller, corridor-based maps like Countdown and Zealot. Adjust the loadouts for these maps to one starting grenade, and increase the timers for the ones on the map to more closely match those of power weapons (60sec at the bare minimum)

Yes, it takes more time to physically work these in, but the reward for doing it would be enormous for the population that has been clamoring for these changes.

Xaeinovis

Neo Member
Zoolader said:
If you want HD then I think the cheapest solution is the hauppage hd-pvr. It was the cheapest HD capture device when I was shopping for one a year ago. I bought one of those for $200 and made a montage dvd to celebrate with friends our years of Halo 3 clips. I'm actually about to sell it since I haven't used it since.

Got Halo 3 in right now... H3 lobby music >>>>>>>>> Reach's

Ah crap my multiplayer disc won't load the maps, I'm gonna have to clean it with toothpaste again.

Sweet, thanks. If the video you speak of is still on YouTube or the like, can you link it to me?

Fantastic post squidhands. Totally agree with those suggestions. Grenades should. only do one of your proposed changes at any time though.

senador said:
Wow it'd be fun to use again like in the beta?

I've been thinking about covenant weapons as a whole lately. Mostly, you don't see any covenant weapons see any real play. Every once and a while you'll see a concussion rifle or plasma pistol, but they definitely aren't on anyone's "to pick up list".

The plasma rifle/repeater in particular are useless. I don't think I've ever seen someone use it in MP besides as a joke weapon.

Booshka

Xaeinovis said:
Sweet, thanks. If the video you speak of is still on YouTube or the like, can you link it to me?
Another good HD Capture device is the Black Magic Intensity. It's also $200 and can be used with HDMI, I think the PVR only has Component.

lybertyboy said:
Don't take this as any sort of promise or timetable, but we've been testing a lot of these changes for some time.
Cool.

I was just assuming the testing priority would be something like:

1. Anniversary Classic beta hopper playlists
2. Vanilla Reach beta hopper playlists
3. Vanilla Reach non-beta playlists (BTB, Team Doubles, SWAT, Action Sack, etc.)

Where after CEA releases, items 1 and 2 would just become normal playlists (or replace their normal counterparts) while item 3 would only be tested after seeing the fan response to the beta hoppers. It didn't occur to me that 343 might already be done testing 1 and 2 and have moved on to testing 3 in anticipation of fan approval of the TU changes. Definitely good news.

Xaeinovis

Neo Member
Booshka said:
Another good HD Capture device is the Black Magic Intensity. It's also $200 and can be used with HDMI, I think the PVR only has Component.
Ah, you're right, the PVR is only component. In fact, I'm running everything through HDMI at the moment and I just recently built a new computer for HD video editing, so the Intensity may be the better way to go.

squidhands said:
Grenades: Being another problem that couldn't be addressed in the timeframe allotted, should from now on be treated as power weapons, particularly on smaller, corridor-based maps like Countdown and Zealot. Adjust the loadouts for these maps to one starting grenade, and increase the timers for the ones on the map to more closely match those of power weapons (60sec at the bare minimum)
Are u GOD? If you are god, I have faith again. That is maybe the best written text I ever read. No it is. If you took part at the candy swap, you would get a container full of candy...

Zoolader

Xaeinovis said:
Ah, you're right, the PVR is only component. In fact, I'm running everything through HDMI at the moment and I just recently built a new computer for HD video editing, so the Intensity may be the better way to go.

If I were buying today I would go that route I think since it has hdmi. The Intensity use to be a bit more expensive I believe, and also my computer at the time didn't meet the recommended system requirements. I never uploaded that video online, and all the clips were lost when my old HDD crapped out. I'm going to have to get that dvd back from my friend because I need to get it on my new computer. There are several videos on youtube for both if you want to see the quality and compare.

darthbob

A little OT, but does anyone else play Halo music when they enter this thread?

Makes it like 7x better.

Currently listening to 'Tip of the Spear' on my Halo 3 Zune :lol

Karl2177

darthbob said:
A little OT, but does anyone else play Halo music when they enter this thread?

Makes it like 7x better.

Currently listening to 'Tip of the Spear' on my Halo 3 Zune :lol
Nope. Usually dubstep or electronic.

That does remind me: What does HaloGAF listen to while they play?

squidhands said:
FgDLC.jpg

Karl2177 said:
The screaming of my enemies and the boisterous chatter of my compatriots.
Don't really listen to any music while I play. Having bought Forza 3 today [for €5] that will likely change.

lybertyboy said:
Don't take this as any sort of promise or timetable, but we've been testing a lot of these changes for some time.

Can I haz no bloom now plz???

puss_in_boots1.jpg

One of the my last pre-TU uploads. Also been testing out some new video enhancement settings until my new capture card arrives.

FFA Slayer DMR's on Powerhouse

For the record I really enjoy Powerhouse as a map. Vastly underrated IMO. Ominous start with a couple of grenade launcher fails but for the most part a pretty fun match. Oh yeah and once again **** Armor Lock :p

Gui_PT said:
Now I want to play some Halo3. Who's interested?

Hey Gui I didnt realise gaf was having a Halo 3 day, I would have loved to play with you guys, just wanted to finish off last match with collegue. Sorry about that! by the time it finished you left :/

Gui_PT said:
Sorry Bobs, no one else got on, I left =\

Oh right maybe later then. :(

Halo 3 was pretty awesome, would love to play it with Gaf sometime.

Tawpgun

Karl2177 said:

I play my classic playlist, which is songs I liked from Rolling Stones Top 500 Songs of All Time.

Muse is good also. Cake also.

But I usually don't have music on when playing srs.

Also, I will say that seeing that Waypoint intro on my video was pretty awesome.

http://halo.xbox.com/en-us/intel/re...-macieik/1fd25e20-72f7-4830-84dc-7a253884127a

They also messed up my name... I should demand CEA/TU/Halo 4 info for compensation.

Havok

squidhands said:
Arena has single grenades on spawn and it's been pretty successful, I think. Even without reducing on-map grenade spawns (I think 8 spawn on Arena Zealot at 45 second intervals or something like that), the spam is much less of a problem. It's a little sad that it came to that, though.

Zoolader

I just got my H3 multiplayer disc working again with the toothpaste trick and everybody is done? That was a fast session :(

Karl2177 said:

I don't listen to music in matchmaking, really puts you at a big disadvantage.

A27 Tawpgun said:
I think many people know that I hate the Reach grenades with a passion.

That being said, I agree. The dream fix is tone down grenades, keep it 2. 1 grenade starts feels off. Like I'm always missing a nade to flush out a camper or a guy who ran away from me.

It's very difficult to break set ups and such with 1 nade also.

Grenades are fine, give us 4 slots back.

I know im a bit late to this, but I just wanted to point out how equally frustrating and great the weekly update was.

The actual UI “bloom” is just a representation of a feature that has been in Halo since the beginning. The colloquial “BR Spread” from Halo 3 was this same set of variables, just implemented differently. The same goes for the Halo CE magnum, where holding the trigger down resulted in less accuracy than pulling the trigger rapidly.

Grr, technicalities, I doubt anyone held down the trigger in Halo 1, especially anyone who was playing for precision.

Comparing the halo 3 spread to bloom is ridiculous!

My anger soon turned into joy when I read the rest, but I really hope this isnt a sign that 343 acknowledge bloom and intend to try and implement it again in the next Halo game. My problem with bloom isnt with the implimentation, its to do with what it does to the gameplay. :/ Even if bloom worked perfectly, it still isnt fun lol.

Tawpgun

i nerini del buio said:
please :( 1 nade is not fun... I don't know why, but it feels like a rocket launcher without spare clips T_T

That being said, I agree. The dream fix is tone down grenades, keep it 2. 1 grenade starts feels off. Like I'm always missing a nade to flush out a camper or a guy who ran away from me.

i nerini del buio said:
please :( 1 nade is not fun... I don't know why, but it feels like a rocket launcher without spare clips T_T
But you don't generally spawn with a rocket launcher! With two mini-nukes in the chamber, ripe for "fucking grenades!".

343 have said, grenades did not get touched in the TU due to reasources/time restraints, so something has to happen!

Retro

Gui_PT said:
I got it but I can get on to help. Interested?

Damn you, I left the room to check the thread (OMG, I don't have my PC and X-box in the same room) and you had just logged off.

Maybe try later tonight if you're on.

thezerofire said:
You can just plug in a second controller and do the forklift thing on Nightfall if you really want

I looked it up on Youtube and gave it a try, the combination of split screen, a dark level, and less than optimal lighting made it a pain in the ass just to get to that point quickly, nevermind actually pulling off the glitch.

Plus, it's been a year and I probably suck.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
I believe that a large amount of the leftover problems can/should be addressed with a bit more hands-on approach to map/gametype combinations.

Loadouts: Why the camo loadout was available to maps with a sniper rifle on it after the problems it created were acknowledged is as baffling as having drop shields in Objective games. MLG should be a shining example of how gametypes and maps should marry together, rather than keeping the same generic loadouts on maps that play completely differently from one another. Evade should be kept to Elites (outside of MLG and the Community gametypes like Action Sack and Grifball), or at the bare minimum should only be offered to Spartans on the larger open maps in BTB where it would function more like Sprint.

Yes, it takes more time to physically work these in, but the reward for doing it would be enormous for the population that has been clamoring for these changes.

Yup. I touched on this when I mentioned sword/evade, but that is what I am hoping to see. Create game types based on map/game type combinations - NOT at the playlist level as we have seen to date.

Evade/sword, camo/sniper, corridor maps/grenades, and jetpack use on certain maps are examples. This will require a much lower level of detail in terms of playlist management; people, resources and time. I really hope some of it comes to pass. Reach could be so much better than it is now, even before the TU changes.

This is also true of the 1-sided objective games types, as I posted about a few days back.

A27 Tawpgun said:

Personally, I'd just take spare grenades off the small maps. There are typically piles of them from corpses lying around, the added ones on spawn are not needed.

I'm tempted to say on maps like Countdown, though, that one grenade would be better. Having a team set up in one location and being on the recieving end of 6-8 grenades flying around the corner is brutal. But I'd start with just removing spare grenades on the map and see how that went.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
i nerini del buio said:
Ugh, the worst. I actually never thought I would get used to only 8 sniper bullets though.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Man, it's REALLY hard to play default Reach after having played God tier Reach at Halo Fest. :(

I wish the TU would just come out now with the beta hoppers.

Striker

One grenade start only really stinks on Asylum, because for some reason, Bungie didn't put Sanctuary's grenade placements on the map. So when a team makes a set up, it might be more difficult than usual, because so. But other than that, 1-grenade in maps like Countdown, Zealot, Reflection, and Powerhouse is fine by me in Arena.

Retro said:
I looked it up on Youtube and gave it a try, the combination of split screen, a dark level, and less than optimal lighting made it a pain in the ass just to get to that point quickly, nevermind actually pulling off the glitch.

Plus, it's been a year and I probably suck.
It took me two tries to get to that point, but once I got there the glitch was really easy.

Ramirez

Tashi0106 said:
2 grenade starts...and that's final mister!

Seriously, 1 grenade starts suck.

Make Grenades only spawn every 60 seconds and only start with one and you make it even harder to flush out campers. Terrible idea.

We played with a guy last night who had the GT "TheTUWillSaveUs", lol.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
GhaleonEB said:
Yup. I touched on this when I mentioned sword/evade, but that is what I am hoping to see. Create game types based on map/game type combinations - NOT at the playlist level as we have seen to date.

Evade/sword, camo/sniper, corridor maps/grenades, and jetpack use on certain maps are examples. This will require a much lower level of detail in terms of playlist management; people, resources and time. I really hope some of it comes to pass. Reach could be so much better than it is now, even before the TU changes.

This is also true of the 1-sided objective games types, as I posted about a few days back.
Please, 343. I'll do anything for this level of detail and commitment to matchmaking playlists.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Getting hired would be on the opposite spectrum of what I was thinking, but it would save me a lot of mental and physical trauma.

Domino Theory said:
Man, it's REALLY hard to play default Reach after having played God tier Reach at Halo Fest. :(

I wish the TU would just come out now with the beta hoppers.
I know HOW you feel. It is really hard. After Anniversary comes out I won't even need the Reach disc anymore.

vhfive

Zoolader said:
I don't listen to music in matchmaking, really puts you at a big disadvantage.
I listen to music all the time and if anything I play better with music. Obviously you don't focus on what you're listening to but I find that having something consistent in the background helps me out.

As for what music a play it jumps around a lot depending on my mood. Lately it's either The Deer Hunter's Color Spectrum or the newest Cool Kids CD

Top Bottom