• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

wwm0nkey

Devolution said:
Fuck the number of maps, quality over quantity please. I could play some of the better maps on Reach ad infinitum if it meant I didn't have to suffer through the crap ones.
I dont see why we can't have both (though yes quality should come above quantity)

Bungie's map designers seemed to loose it after Halo 2 (Halo 2 really did spoil us) hopefully 343i's map team can pull something like Halo 2 map design off.

TheOddOne

wwm0nkey said:
Bungie's map designers seemed to loose it after Halo 2 (Halo 2 really did spoil us) hopefully 343i's map team can pull something like Halo 2 map design off.
No stress 343i guys, we keep it cool you keep it fresh.

Devolution said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30612180&postcount=9

Only thing I could find in the time frame.

No need to be cryptic, name it.

The most off topic thing ever but since i made you avatar very low quality cause of the tiny cat picture and since then i found a bigger cat picture i decided to make a better quality version of it.
VNCOi.png

Kujo

Powerhouse is not bad actually. I don't get to play it that much, but at least it looks a bit different then when you saw it in campaign.

Boardwalk, Countdown, Sword Base and Zealot are pretty dull. The Invasion maps, I actually don't mind, but they don't work that well for BTB. And Forge World, if you don't have anythiing nice to say...

StalkerUKCG said:
The most off topic thing ever but since i made you avatar very low quality cause of the tiny cat picture and since then i found a bigger cat picture i decided to make a better quality version of it.
VNCOi.png

<3 <3 <3.

Kujo

vhfive said:
No. Didn't like Ivory Tower and hate Reflection (hooray jetpack)
Yeah I guess jetpack devalues the map alot, but I liked Ivory Tower for CTF and Assault in H2. Not a big fan of it for Slayer however

But it looks nice and shiny though

Striker

People like Boardwalk over Reflection? Gross.

1-flag on Reflection in TO is generally good, no Jetpack in the loadouts, for instance. The map itself is similar than Ivory Tower, but the movement and jumping makes it different, however.

If you're to talk small asymmetric maps, bring in Turf, or mid-size+ you bring in Zanzibar, Burial Mounds, Terminal, Relic.

Powerhouse itself is fine, but until they figure out a formidable manner for 1-flag and 1-bomb it's going to be one dimensional for strictly slayer and in my mind that gets boring at a while. A map has to be diverse.

Mojo said:
Yeah I guess jetpack devalues the map alot, but I liked Ivory Tower for CTF and Assault in H2. Not a big fan of it for Slayer however

But it looks nice and shiny though

Nades bounce all wrong on that map.

Kujo

Striker said:
Powerhouse itself is fine, but until they figure out a formidable manner for 1-flag and 1-bomb it's going to be one dimensional for strictly slayer and in my mind that gets boring at a while. A map has to be diverse.
Yeah, I would change where the flag is to maybe the top level of the end building and have you bring it to the area near the cliff.

ElRenoRaven

Devolution said:
Ivory Tower? Meh.

I'd rather play Powerhouse.

Oh right, there's that too. Someone will just have to ask him since there is like no transparency about it on our end.

Yea either one could have earned it. Both are in very very very very bad taste in my opinion.

Devolution said:
My face today when I learned the dye in class is multipurpose and can be used on fabrics.

http://i.imgur.com/tyT3m.gif[img]

[img]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n97/xxjuicesxx/Untitled-16.png[img]

This shit will never get old.[/QUOTE]
It almost deserves a spot in the OP, [spoiler]almost[/spoiler]

Kujo

I got put on a team of randoms who held the objective till the last second each time. I asked them where their Halo honor was and left

ElRenoRaven

StalkerUKCG said:
Is it wrong that i dont dislike a single halo map across all the games?

I'm right there with you except I hate hate hate hate hate Chiron TL-34 from Halo 1. Other then that map I have loved every single damn halo map in every single one of the games. Sure there are some I love more but I do honestly love them all but that one map. I guess I'm just easy to please when it comes to maps.

StalkerUKCG said:
Is it wrong that i dont dislike a single halo map across all the games?

Maps id like playable in reach.

Lockout
Sidewinder
Turf
Last Resort
Edit: High Ground.
Edit 2: For the Memories

Inb4 'hahaha ohwow'

No love for Zealot? That's probably my favourite Reach launch map. It would play like shit in the previous Halo's but feels like it was built with aa's in mind (particularly sprint) more so than many of the other maps. It's also not saturated in power weapons and therefore allows sweet DMR on DMR action to unfold.

I've said it before but I love Cage/Uncaged for Team snipers. Pretty poor in standard slayer gametypes though.

ElRenoRaven

thee henery said:
Inb4 'hahaha ohwow'

No love for Zealot? That's probably my favourite Reach launch map. It would play like shit in the previous Halo's but feels like it was built with aa's in mind (particularly sprint) more so than many of the other maps. It's also not saturated in power weapons and therefore allows sweet DMR on DMR action to unfold.

I've said it before but I love Cage/Uncaged for Team snipers. Pretty poor in standard slayer gametypes though.

I gurantee you if that map was a real map and not forgeworld and had good spawns you'd like it. I just think the biggest hate for it comes from forgeworld's spawn system not being that great.

PsychoRaven said:
I gurantee you if that map was a real map and not forgeworld and had good spawns you'd like it. I just think the biggest hate for it comes from forgeworld's spawn system not being that great.

And the maps ALL look the same, as much as i love forge world the greys and greens grind on me at times.

xxxstylzxxx said:
With every game it slowly creeps up (or down) the list of my most disliked Halo maps. By chance what AA do you use when playing on Uncaged?

Sprint normally, jetpack if im feeling fruity

Kujo

Favourite shipping maps:

A+++
Lockout, Headlong, Waterworks

A
Midship, Beaver Creek, Burial Mounds, Zanzibar, Coagulation, Valhalla

And the rest I don't know, just don't go to Reach's page on Halo Wikia at the moment...

ElRenoRaven

StalkerUKCG said:
And the maps ALL look the same, as much as i love forge world the greys and greens grind on me at times.

Oh I agree there. Forgeworld has a shit load of potential. The problem with it is the lack of variety. That's one thing that I really hope the 343 crew fixes if they really do intend for Forgeworld to continue on in future games. There has to be variety. Even if it's a switch you can put in so that say you pick a giant wall. One of the options for the wall could be what texture you want. You could choose from Forerunner, Human, Covenant, etc. You pick one and then give it a few seconds to load the proper texture and bam it's the type you picked. That without a doubt would help vary things up a ton.

StalkerUKCG said:

So you're one of them huh ;P

For me Uncaged has absolutely zero flow to it with abominable lines of sight and even worse weapon placements (Rockets? Really??) It's extremely linear design also leaves little room for strafing making 1v1 confrontations and grenade spam that much more ridiculous. Unless of course you're rocking the Jetpack at which point any and all concerns about how poorly constructed the map is goes right out the window.

PsychoRaven said:

Well I prefer it to Reflection (red team spawn too advantageous to take seriously, most of the combat degenerates into camping/nade fest at snipe spawn, awful nade physics on the maps geometry, faaaaaaaar too many power weapons) and Pinnacle (the worst red team/blue team imbalance and general spawns I have ever witnessed in a Halo map). Hemorrhage is a nightmare in any playlist.

I know what you mean about the spawns on The Cage though. The reason I think The Cage bore such hysterical outpourings of hatred is because its design massively amplifies two of Reach's mechanical problems. The nades are so powerful in Reach that the small walkways of the map make them practically unavoidable. The other issue is in the difficulty of passing through your teammates. This is a general problem with Reach. See here for an example:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=21115376&player=The Henery

On Cage's cramped walkways, this becomes endemic to the map and causes frequent spontaneous outbursts of GET OUT THE F***ING WAY down the mic.

ElRenoRaven

So a bit OT but Alison from 343 tweeted an interesting picture from the COD thingy going on today. Thought it really showed the difference between how 343 and Bungie interact with thier communites and how almost every other company does.

388160107.jpg

I mean seriously a teleprompter? That's kind of sad. Please never ever go that route 343.

thee henery said:
Well I prefer it to Reflection (red team spawn too advantageous to take seriously, most of the combat degenerates into camping/nade fest at snipe spawn, awful nade physics on the maps geometry, faaaaaaaar too many power weapons) and Pinnacle (the worst red team/blue team imbalance and general spawns I have ever witnessed in a Halo map). Hemorrhage is a nightmare in any playlist.

I know what you mean about the spawns on The Cage though. The reason I think The Cage bore such hysterical outpourings of hatred is because its design massively amplifies two of Reach's mechanical problems. The nades are so powerful in Reach that the small walkways of the map make them practically unavoidable. The other issue is in the difficulty of passing through your teammates. This is a general problem with Reach. See here for an example:

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=21115376&player=The Henery

On Cage's cramped walkways, this becomes endemic to the map and causes frequent spontaneous outbursts of GET OUT THE F***ING WAY down the mic.

Yeah as much as I like my team mates, I don't need to be carried by them if they hit sprint.

Worst thing I've had happen is someone jumps to avoid some shit right as their team mate hits sprint, and off the map they go.

Yea but you can zipline and do the training mission?

Fuck 343 wont beat that until I can run through Crows Nest mission and dong on underpaid costumed elites.

So i was discussing a previous mentioned idea about Halo maps like rock band tracks and upon further contemplation it to me at least seems a fantastic idea.

Halo 4 Ships 2 disc, single player disc and multiplayer disc.

Multiplayer has 10 MP maps, 7 firefight maps.

Throughout the lifespan Halo 4 gets 3-4 DLC packs each contain, 4 MP maps 1 Firefight map.

End of life span Halo 4 has, 22-26 MP maps 10-11 FF maps.

Halo 5 ships with 10 maps 7 firefight maps, from day 1 people with halo 4 installed have all the previous maps(inc DLC) playable along side the new instalments. These maps are weighted lower in Matchmaking.

Halo 5 gets 3-4 DLC packs putting the total map count at 44-51 MP maps and 20 - 22 FF maps.

Halo 6 repeats the process this time bringing in maps from H4 and H5 with DLC total map count is 66-77(se7ens makes sense see) and 30 -33 firefight maps.

Each version of multiplayer would obviously have new additions in the vain equipment/AA's/weapons/movement ect but shipping it on a seperate disc means it can all run on a modified build of the same engine, the SP engine can be reworked updated and changed as much as needed, but the MP engine remains the same for compatibility with the older map files, it also means forge variants should work cross games aswell.

In addition to this FF maps on the disc means if the MP engine is built with AI support in mind firefight maps should be cross compatible with MP maps.

110 total maps, Current total maps in the series including FF is around 105(that includes remakes and spiritual successors. Now obviously a large portion of the proposed 110 maps would be much requested remakes so lets say 40-60 remakes 40-60 new maps.

4 DLC packs arnt out of the scope of a developer and the backwards compatibility with older games only means less requested remakes from fans.

Striker said:

I know how to make powerhouse a good asymm. obj. map T_T I just need enough people to test it!

i nerini del buio said:
I know how to make powerhouse a good asymm. obj. map T_T I just need enough people to test it!

I thought it was? I have no problems with it. Except pro has some really stupid spawns.

Top Bottom