• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Ramirez said:
Seriously, 1 grenade starts suck.

Make Grenades only spawn every 60 seconds and only start with one and you make it even harder to flush out campers. Terrible idea.

We played with a guy last night who had the GT "TheTUWillSaveUs", lol.
So what's the solution, then? Are you really happy with the grenade situation as it is? Not being smarmy, just genuinely curious to hear your opinion. Besides, it was a temporary solution to a problem that I would hope could be addressed in another TU.

Ramirez

squidhands said:
So what's the solution, then? Are you really happy with the grenade situation as it is? Not being smarmy, just genuinely curious to hear your opinion. Besides, it was a temporary solution to a problem that I would hope could be addressed in another TU.

Am I happy with it? No. I don't want to be gimped further though when someone has a power weapon and is camping with it.

FWIW, the nades didn't bother me nearly as bad when I was playing the TU at PAX, perhaps the slightly faster movement speed was helping, or it could have been because people were actually dying in a timely manner so they couldn't get as much nade spam off.

Seems MM is back up. Anyone want to play?

thezerofire said:
So I'm being drawn in by the MW3 hype machine. Save me.

Well I will say they changed more than I expected, and it looks decent enough, but still too similar to CoD4 and all the others after it. I miss Cod 2 and 3 styled games.

Gui_PT said:
DMR's are a crutch for noobs

:D

Agreed. Lets go on Halo 3 and play with real guns, Br's.

I mean right now. Anyone?

thezerofire said:

Reading the changelog makes it seem like its going to be as bad as MW2 was. Too many cheap things. I dont understand why heartbeat sensors would still exist but meh.

Will buy if cheap I guess.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Domino Theory said:
Gears 3, MW3, God tier Reach and BF3 FTW.
Halo: Anniversary, Skyrim and Diablo 3 is all I have pre-ordered for this fall That is, if D3 comes out this year. Which it will.

I hope.

I'd be into Battlefield 3 on PC but I think I'll wait to see how launch goes for that one. I got bit bad by 2142.

GhaleonEB

Ramirez said:
Am I happy with it? No. I don't want to be gimped further though when someone has a power weapon and is camping with it.

FWIW, the nades didn't bother me nearly as bad when I was playing the TU at PAX, perhaps the slightly faster movement speed was helping, or it could have been because people were actually dying in a timely manner so they couldn't get as much nade spam off.
It might also have been the maps. On maps such as Countdown, when you're in a hallway they're generally closed off and there's no way out when a team is dropping grenades on you. The Halo 1 map designs were a bit more abstract and feature what felt to me to be more elbow room; lots of ramps to jump off of and to another level, more linked rooms and fewer tight hallways. Maps like Damnation and Prisoner don't feel like the grenade traps that The Cage and Countdown are. Maybe I"m off base, but that's what it felt like in my limited time at PAX with the maps.

My face today when I learned the dye in class is multipurpose and can be used on fabrics.

tyT3m.gif

kylej said:
someone please post that dude's "I spend all day donging yadda yadda" post please. It's so good.

Trounce said:
edit: How can people who are so passionate about Halo willfully stick their head in the ground whenever I try and offer serious advice? That shot may have been lucky but it was not random. Go ahead and keep getting mad at this game while I continue dominating kids because I learned to adapt instead of crying on a forum day in and day out. jesus.

Untitled-16.png

This shit will never get old.

Tawpgun

thezerofire said:
Saw some deets too. I like the revamp killstreak system. Not sure how it works in game though.

CoD and Balance in the same sentence has always been a very strange combination.

If I can get it for free/MAAAAAAAAAADDDDD cheap I'll get it. Otherwise, its hoping to have enough monies for Gears 3, BF3, and Anni.

BF3 and Anni are must haves. Gears 3 I want really bad. Along with Dead Island. I hope there's a nice video game rental/redbox in Boston that actually has games. No place to rent games where I live.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Lyphen said:
Halo: Anniversary, Skyrim and Diablo 3 is all I have pre-ordered for this fall That is, if D3 comes out this year. Which it will.

I hope.

I'd be into Battlefield 3 on PC but I think I'll wait to see how launch goes for that one. I got bit bad by 2142.

I was just talking about MP games that are coming out this Fall. It's going to be good to have many choices this time around. :)

MrBig

Domino Theory said:
I was just talking about MP games that are coming out this Fall. It's going to be good to have many choices this time around. :)
Yes. I just decided to go with BF3 and CEA. That keeps my games purchased this year to $100. I get Skyrim for free. But then I have to pay for Live, which should be free.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Saw some deets too. I like the revamp killstreak system. Not sure how it works in game though.

CoD and Balance in the same sentence has always been a very strange combination.

If I can get it for free/MAAAAAAAAAADDDDD cheap I'll get it. Otherwise, its hoping to have enough monies for Gears 3, BF3, and Anni.

BF3 and Anni are must haves. Gears 3 I want really bad. Along with Dead Island. I hope there's a nice video game rental/redbox in Boston that actually has games. No place to rent games where I live.
http://beta.digitalwarfare247.com/games/modernwarfare3/195-mw3-multiplayer-info-blowout

Unlockable titles and emblems, 16 maps on launch, damn if I can resist that.

Ramirez said:

It was mentioned before, but it wouldn't be a situation where there wouldn't be extra grenades around bodies on a map like Countdown. It's an effort to reduce the what I feel is a cheap way to die by being stuck in a tight hallway with no room to move out of that huge blast radius. It's not a perfect solution, but it's worth a shot on certain maps.

feel

Domino Theory said:
Gears 3, MW3, God tier Reach and BF3 FTW.
The pc version of BF3 seems kickass, but any clue on how inferior the xbox version will be? (besides graphics)

With so many other great games pulling for my attention, I will give it a skip if it's just BFBC2.1 on consoles. (I really like BFBC2)

Tawpgun

MrBig said:
Yes. I just decided to go with BF3 and CEA. That keeps my games purchased this year to $100. I get Skyrim for free. But then I have to pay for Live, which should be free.
What is this sorcery.

thezerofire said:
http://beta.digitalwarfare247.com/games/modernwarfare3/195-mw3-multiplayer-info-blowout

Unlockable titles and emblems, 16 maps on launch, damn if I can resist that.
Fortunately BF3 shits all over that so unless I can get it sub $20 or free, not interested.

Letters said:
The pc version of BF3 seems kickass, but any clue on how inferior the xbox version will be? (besides graphics)

With so many other great games pulling for my attention, I will give it a skip if it's just BFBC2.1 on consoles.
The only thing we know is that its everything the PC version is in terms of gameplay, minus graphics and scale.

So it still plays considerably more realistically than BFBC2.

But apparently they haven't shown the Xbox version for marketing reasons. I hope thats a good sign....

MrBig

A27 Tawpgun said:
What is this sorcery.
I don't enjoy paying for extraneous services I don't use. The only reason I accept is because most of my friends are console gamers, not PC. The only time I am ever purposfully touching MS's servers is for DLC. I get my media on my PC and every game I play is p2p or publisher hosted. $60 is outrageous to pay to play games I already bought.

wwm0nkey

thezerofire said:
have it, played it, got bored of it. there was nothing to keep me playing.
Well if you like all the cluster fuck go for MW3, its not my cup of tea so I will be skipping. (I do acknowledge some people like all the shit going on in though)

However Dead Island, Battlefield 3, Skyrim and Halo CEA will be mine :)

vhfive said:
haters fall back blops is a good game and mw3 is going to be better

Black Ops is an amazing game. MW2 was a huge clusterfuck though, from the looks of it MW3 is following the MW2 design philosophy. :(

Ill still probably end up getting it just because usually a bunch of people I know get the CoD games. I doubt ill play it much but it will be nice to have as a back up in case the TU for Reach doesnt live up to expectations. (Hopefully the TU will turn Reach into the only game I want to play, but based on the Reach gameplay so far im worried lol)

I don't enjoy paying for extraneous services I don't use. The only reason I accept is because most of my friends are console gamers, not PC. The only time I am ever purposfully touching MS's servers is for DLC. I get my media on my PC and every game I play is p2p or publisher hosted. $60 is outrageous to pay to play games I already bought.

This!

In the uk we dont even get access to a lot of the extra features we are paying to support. If the live service was split into more tiers it would be great:

Silver - basic play offline free.
Gold - Just play games. about half of what current gold costs
Platinum - games and hulu facebook etc - price of current gold

I would be much happier that way but it will never happen.

Tawpgun

Ramirez said:
Way better than MW2.
[insert really bad game here] is better than MW2.

MrBig said:
Nevermind, I read it wrong. I thought you were getting Live for free :p

I agree, but at the same time as far as consoles go, I'd rather pay $60 a year than have to deal with PSN.

Kujo

16 maps on disc, nice. I wish a certain franchise had shipped with that many *cough*

Kept getting lagged out of Reach games last night, and I got the message not to quit another game for the first time ever (it popped up in the middle of a shootout, thx bungle). How long does the quit probation last?

Retro

About to hop on if anyone wants to help little old Retro do his weekly so he can finally break Major and get a pointless little Datapad wrist item...

Edit: Thanks to Gui_PT for offering and Zoolader for showing me the way (what the hell, he's banned now?). I'm not ashamed to admit that I would have been completely lost a couple of times if I hadn't had a tag to follow.

The Real Napsta said:
No movement.

Actually, in one of our early ForgeGAF games, we tested a non-GAF "Halo Tactics" map/gametype; It used territories to limit how far you could move when it was your 'turn', which was something like 4 seconds long. Otherwise, you were literally frozen in place as the territory moved from player to player. You could shoot at any time, so if somebody moved into your field of view, have at em.

It was actually kind of boring and annoying (because it would announce "Territory moved" every 4 seconds), but amazing that somebody was somehow able to rig that up with Forge.

wwm0nkey

Mojo said:
16 maps on disc, nice. I wish a certain franchise had shipped with that many *cough*

Kept getting lagged out of Reach games last night, and I got the message not to quit another game for the first time ever (it popped up in the middle of a shootout, thx bungle). How long does the quit probation last?
16 or more maps in a Halo game at launch would be amazing.

Ramirez said:
Way better than MW2.

All games are better than MW2 lol.

To chime in the games people are getting this fall, I was going to get BF3, CEA, and Gears (roommate will buy Skyrim for his PS3, so I'll just play his copy), but after the epicness of the TU and the fact that why are getting it this month and beta hoppers next month is making me question the Gears purchase.

MW3 has Model 1887's and death streaks. No way in hell I'm buying that.

Karl2177

wwm0nkey said:
If you want to get technical, Reach did have that. Firefight + MP maps = 17 maps (That's counting Forge World as 1 map, not 5)

wwm0nkey said:

I'm expecting at least 14 maps at launch with Halo 4 as compensation for the derisory amount of maps we got with Reach.

^^

Firefight doesn't count. It's more an extension of the campaign imo and certainly not a multiplayer space in the traditional sense.

Fuck the number of maps, quality over quantity please. I could play some of the better maps on Reach ad infinitum if it meant I didn't have to suffer through the crap ones.

Something about MW3 leaped out at me while watching the stream. All 16 maps will be playable across MP and Spec Ops.

Its something i wish we could see in future halo games, campaign out of the equation Reach has 17 maps between FF and MP. now the mp maps run in a megalo environment and the FF maps run in the campaign environment so cross play isnt acceptable. However if Halo 4's Blam engine revision incorporated the Megalo scripting into itself (or removed it in favour of something better) then id imagine FF and MP maps would allow cross play. This essentially means more maps for both gametypes. With some forgeable editions i could see pretty much every FF map being playable for MP and MP maps would easily work for FF.

Kujo

Devolution said:
Fuck the number of maps, quality over quantity please. I could play some of the better maps on Reach ad infinitum if it meant I didn't have to suffer through the crap ones.
IMO, Reach had maybe 1 quality map on the disc.

Top Bottom