• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

Funnily enough Hyper, I had to make a presentation on AI found in FPS games and Halo was one of a very few titles worth mentioning in it :p

Happy birthday starwolf!

I too have an abnormal good imune system. But when I get something, it's something good like a partial paralization of my face :lol

For those that are sick, AJ's Hindsight: Halo 3 makes for good reading material. Even if you've read them before, read 'em again! They're a lot of fun.

Edit: Ooh! Have the Halo 3 soundtrack play in the background while reading it. It's almost as if you're playing the game.

Kuroyume

Banned
Is there a reason why they made the grenades the way they did in Reach? In regards to everything from damage to the way you throw them... Also, if a grenade blows up near another it will set the others off right?

Dax01 said:
For those that are sick, AJ's Hindsight: Halo 3 makes for good reading material. Even if you've read them before, read 'em again! They're a lot of fun.

Edit: Ooh! Have the Halo 3 soundtrack play in the background while reading it. It's almost as if you're playing the game.
Couldn't you just, and this is a stretch, just play the game? :p

feel

Hydranockz said:
Couldn't you just, and this is a stretch, just play the game? :p
because it's hard to play a game and read something else at the same time.

I love that about the H3 soundtrack. I've done long drives while listening to it, and you really start picturing a complete playthrough in your mind. Did the other soundtracks do that? I never bought the Reach one (didn't like it too much) and ODST didn't really have a specific order to the levels and tracks.

Kuroyume said:
Is there a reason why they made the grenades the way they did in Reach? In regards to everything from damage to the way you throw them... Also, if a grenade blows up near another it will set the others off right?
Only in campaign, but not in multiplayer. You can shoot nades laying on the ground though.

Kuroyume said:

According to Hamrick, the Reach grenades were inspired by wanting to get something similar to the Halo CE grenades. What they didn't implement however was that CE grenades didn't explode in .000001 seconds and they didn't stick to people on a regular basis, nor did Reach's movement ability and weapon kill times justify grenades with such short fuse times.

GhaleonEB said:
Ug, sorry to hear that. I hate this feeling of inevitability. I'm not miserable yet, but my throat is letting me know I'm going to be real soon, no matter what.

Anyone with sore throats I strongly recommend this

I've seen it at Luckys, Walgreens, CVS, etc. I've been drinking it for years when I have a sore throat. Even taking it to school in a thermos because it's so effective at numbing the pain and it tastes pretty good in my opinion.

Kibbles

Devolution said:
Anyone with sore throats I strongly recommend this

I've seen it at Luckys, Walgreens, CVS, etc. I've been drinking it for years when I have a sore throat. Even taking it to school in a thermos because it's so effective at numbing the pain and it tastes pretty good in my opinion.

@GhaleonEB, gah I fucking hate that when it happens, happened to me a few weeks ago and then I got pretty sick :( Hope this stuff helps, I'll keep it in mind and try it out next time I get sick, thanks

Kuroyume

Banned
Finally got a chance to try out the TU playlist earlier. Zero Bloom is godly. Enjoyed the hell out of it. It's so good to shoot that pistol. Reminds me of the beta pistol somewhat only better. The other bloom type felt pretty good. Much better than regular Reach but I would much prefer to play ZB.

I want to see a ZB playlist without armor abilities and a speed boost or at the very least a sprint only ZB playlist. Good stuff 343.

Btw, has anyone played on this BTB map pack called Abridged? It's terrible. Easily the biggest multiplayer map of any console Halo game right? Takes forever to get across it and then if you die getting the flag or planting the bomb you have to take the long ass trek over there again. Freaking ridiculous.

Havok

Kuroyume said:
Btw, has anyone played on this BTB map pack called Abridged? It's terrible. Easily the biggest multiplayer map of any console Halo game right? Takes forever to get across it and then if you die getting the flag or planting the bomb you have to take the long ass trek over there again. Freaking ridiculous.
Abridged is bad, but I'd still rather play it than the other Forge variants in BTB. Such a great playlist.

Booshka

Kuroyume said:
Finally got a chance to try out the TU playlist earlier. Zero Bloom is godly. Enjoyed the hell out of it. It's so good to shoot that pistol. Reminds me of the beta pistol somewhat only better. The other bloom type felt pretty good. Much better than regular Reach but I would much prefer to play ZB.

I want to see a ZB playlist without armor abilities and a speed boost or at the very least a sprint only ZB playlist. Good stuff 343.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=23870783&player=Booshka

Try these settings out in a Custom Game, these were the ones we were using in GAF customs before the TU playlist. Hopefully there is a playlist with settings like that. At least the MLG playlist will be pretty good and be sprint only with some pickup abilities.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Steelyuhas said:
According to Hamrick, the Reach grenades were inspired by wanting to get something similar to the Halo CE grenades. What they didn't implement however was that CE grenades didn't explode in .000001 seconds and they didn't stick to people on a regular basis, nor did Reach's movement ability and weapon kill times justify grenades with such short fuse times.
DEFINITIVE

HALO

blamite

O hai sick people, I'm also just getting off of a nasty cold, massive throat pain included. I love this time of year except that it's always exactly when I get sick. At least I have a excuse to do nothing but lay around and play Halo / catch up on AC Brotherhood.

So 85% bloom definitel seems like the sweet spot for me, zero bloom is fun but I wouldn't like it applied to all of matchmaking. If everything was 85% though, I'd be perfectly happy with that. My only complaint is that the pistol becomes pretty useless since the DMR benefits so much more from the bloom reduction. Would it be possible to give 75% bloom to only the pistol?

blamite said:
O hai sick people, I'm also just getting off of a nasty cold, massive throat pain included. I love this time of year except that it's always exactly when I get sick. At least I have a excuse to do nothing but lay around and play Halo / catch up on AC Brotherhood.

So 85% bloom definitel seems like the sweet spot for me, zero bloom is fun but I wouldn't like it applied to all of matchmaking. If everything was 85% though, I'd be perfectly happy with that. My only complaint is that the pistol becomes pretty useless since the DMR benefits so much more from the bloom reduction. Would it be possible to give 75% bloom to only the pistol?

I feel that the Pistol gains a large advantage with 85%, also because it is a 4sk with bleed through. The Pistol is more powerful in the sandbox at 85% than it is at 100% in my opinion.

blamite

Steelyuhas said:
I feel that the Pistol gains a large advantage with 85%, also because it is a 4sk with bleed through. The Pistol is more powerful in the sandbox at 85% than it is at 100% in my opinion.
Hmm, maybe I just haven't been using it enough then. It just feels like it gains so much more bloom per shot than the DMR does, but that might just bee the shape of the reticle playing tricks on me. I will try using it some more and see what happens!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Thermite said:
BY THE PEOPLE

WHO MADE

SHADOWRUN
20570ipakep.gif

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Played two games of the TU playlist last night after not touching Reach for weeks.

No bloom definitely makes it feel like Halo, but man, that pistol needs a ROF nerf. It just dominates the DMR regardless of range. I got host on my second game and just annihilated everything.

Couple quirks: where was the bleed through for both shooting and melee? I always felt as though I had to strip their shields first before I could get the headshot. I noticed this at Halo Fest, too, but shurgged it off because I thought it was just in the early stages.

Blinding

Domino Theory said:
Couple quirks: where was the bleed through for both shooting and melee? I always felt as though I had to strip their shields first before I could get the headshot. I noticed this at Halo Fest, too, but shurgged it off because I thought it was just in the early stages.

It's there, I've played multiple games where I'll one shot someone with shields and they'll die, or I'll do a two shot beat down and kill them (which I don't believe is possible on vanilla reach settings.)

Tunavi

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Anyone else hope Halo has an exploration system like ODST or Metroid Prime?
I want Halo 4 to break the formula and have an open-world campaign. 343 won't do that, though.
Judderman said:
You won't be disappointed.
dat opening cutscene. December 25, 2002 was an amazing day.

wwm0nkey said:
Seeing Hypertrooper's avatar with a Spartan(?) with a gun slinged to his back makes me want something more of a S.T.A.L.K.E.R./Metroid/ODST/Deus Ex approach. Where it's not strictly about shooting encounters, but also a bit of straight up looking around with your weapons holstered.

wwm0nkey

Tunavi said:
I want Halo 4 to break the formula and have an open-world campaign. 343 won't do that, though.
I dont know its a new trilogy so it does give them the chance to try new things, maybe not gameplay wise but Campaign wise I think most people where looking for a change.

ElRenoRaven

TheOddOne said:
I have a DS and I will hunt down Metroid Fusion. Thanks :)

As you should. It's honestly my favorite of all the Metroids. I know some of the purists will hate me for saying that but it's true.

Tunavi

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
I dont know its a new trilogy so it does give them the chance to try new things, maybe not gameplay wise but Campaign wise I think most people where looking for a change.
All I know is that if Halo 4's campaign is 10 linear levels, I won't be very surprised.
PsychoRaven said:
As you should. It's honestly my favorite of all the Metroids. I know some of the purists will hate me for saying that but it's true.
metroid spoilers
going back to sector 6 = creepiest thing ever

ElRenoRaven

Tunavi said:
All I know is that if Halo 4's campaign is 10 linear levels, I won't be very surprised.

Personally I'll be happy. While sometimes I like an open world game, I'm not too big on them. Sometimes I just want a classic level based shooter. IT seems those are starting to disappear too so if Halo stays that way I'm happy. I'd save the open world stuff for off shoots.

wwm0nkey

Tunavi said:

major metroid spoilers
going back to sector 6 = creepiest thing ever
I wont be surprised either but I really really want Halo Campaign to be something on the lines of ODST and Metroid.

Tunavi

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
I wont be surprised either but I really really want Halo Campaign to be something on the lines of ODST and Metroid.
Yeah I totally agree. Skyrim is really getting me excited and I don't want Skyrim: Halo edition, but I'd like a huge world to explore with the halo sandbox. New Mombassa was awesome in ODST, but as barrow roll once said, "its the coolest space in halo but there's nothing to do."

wwm0nkey said:
I'd love to see an evolution of ODST's hub world for Halo 4, but centered around the crashed Forward Unto Dawn. ODST's hub world is one of the main reasons I love ODST. Dat music and atmosphere.

However, I think it's more likely we'll see an ODST 2 that'll expand on the hub world rather than it being done for Halo 4.

GhaleonEB

wwm0nkey said:
The artwork from Halo 4 has largely been around big vistas and huge installations. It really has me thinking about environmental scale, not just in the skyboxes or background geometry, but in terms of explorable space. I hope that was their intent, because exploration and Halo go very well together, and the artwork really seemed to hint at it.
Dax01 said:
I'd love to see an evolution of ODST's hub world for Halo 4, but centered around the crashed Forward Unto Dawn. ODST's hub world is one of the main reasons I love ODST. Dat music and atmosphere.

However, I think it's more likely we'll see an ODST 2 that'll expand on the hub world rather than it being done for Halo 4.
You can also have multiple hub areas, as the story moves forward. Deus Ex: HR does this effectively on a smaller scale.

Top Bottom