• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

TheOddOne

Hypertrooper said:
The art trailer teases it a lot and I hope we will get big spaces to explore. But a open-world can be really hard to convert. The most Open-World games I played are awesome. But after 15 Hours I ever put the game to the side. Never finished Red Dead Redemption or LA Noire. The bigger task is it to get the Open-World feeling in such one mission. Would prefer that way. :)
From the Halo 4 panel I really get the impression we will be exploring big spaces, not quite open world style spaces but they will be large.

wwm0nkey

If Halo where to go open world it would have to be in the ODST/ Metroid Prime way of fragmenting the areas. No GTA levels of open world.

TheOddOne

wwm0nkey said:
If Halo where to go open world it would have to be in the ODST/ Metroid Prime way of fragmenting the areas. No GTA levels of open world.
That would make perfect sense.

Judging from the designers they hired, it would not suprised if they go the route you described.

Woorloog said:
ODST in GTA style open world, why not?
Maybe, but the world would either feel empty or you'd get shot at from every direction.

I'd like to see them try and tackle Crysis-sized levels. Have one main objective and a shitton of bonus objectives you can complete to make it easier. If a player decides to "storm the base" head-on right from the start, that's his call. If he wants to sneak around, sabotage the Grunt's methane supply near a dig site on the other side of the map, then proceed to a small outpost and burn it down to draw the Covie's attention, that's his call, too.

Woorloog

Banned
Blue Ninja said:
Maybe, but the world would either feel empty or you'd get shot at from every direction.
Okay, maybe GTA IV sized world would be too large but in any case, it won't necessarily be too empty. If there are multiple ODSTs and Marines in the city, holding areas, civilians you need to evacuate etc... It can work, just needs developing.

What i'd really love would be ODST in Oblivion sized world...With good sized city (all Oblivion cities combined and larger)

Woorloog said:
Okay, maybe GTA IV sized world would be too large but in any case, it won't necessarily be too empty. If there are multiple ODSTs and Marines in the city, holding areas, civilians you need to evacuate etc... It can work, just needs developing.
It'd immediately be a lot faster paced than any GTA title, since there'd be so many enemies around you. UNSC-controlled areas would be small and few-and-far-between, while you'd have to watch out for Jackal Snipers everywhere else you went. :lol

A wartime situation like in the Halo series doesn't lend itself well to a large open world you can explode, at least not if that world is on the front lines. They might make it work, but it still would remain to be seen if it'd actually be fun.

Woorloog said:
What i'd really love would be ODST in Oblivion sized world...With good sized city (all Oblivion cities combined and larger)
Same problem, really. The only way this could work is if you'd had small human enclaves scattered throughout a Covenant-occupied city. You'd need to sneak your way to those enclaves, carry out the missions given there, and so on. There'd be almost no sense of exploration, which is what makes the open world in GTA and TES games so great.

There'd just be the feeling of "Shit, I hope there's no Jackal Sniper zooming in on my face right now". Which is a feeling you can, imo, perfectly (and much better) convey in a smaller-scale level space.

There are only two open worlds I ever enjoyed, vice city and empire bay both the 1940/50's version from mafia 2. my enjoyment directly stems from the atmosphere in the worlds.

Take a look!

Bizarrely, in mafia 2's case the city was spectacular, yet there was nothing to do in it, apart from go to mission to mission. It acted like a huge hub world something I wouldn't mind if Halo 4 took odst's design up a notch.

Woorloog

Banned
Grab a large area (Oblivion sized or larger) from a Halo ring. Slap player there, tell him: explore, kill stuff. Give occasional quests. There's your exploration. (Actually, i think you could merge the whole Halo CE in a single open world (ofc there needs to be distance beetween areas, making Dropships essential) and still have it play and work like it was, if the player willingly follows orders, if not, he is free to explore stuff)

As i said, this stuff needs developing. It has issues, many of which can be solved or minimized. Alternative the idea simply won't work.. but that can't be known before it is tried.

wwm0nkey said:

Like Ghal said, maybe something Deus Ex like. There are 2 main hubs with a few mainquests in it and some sidequests. And then you have linear main quests that are very, very open on their own.

I think sidequests would be a bit too much to ask. I'd like a system where you have to finish all the main missions in one hub world and then one mission to go another other hub world with more missions in it etc. You could chose the order in which you do each mission like in ODST. Perhaps make it even influence the story a bit.

Striker

Devolution said:
One thing I really don't get, why are blue spawns so fucked on some maps. Does someone at Bungie really despise the color blue?
Halo maps circa 2007-present day.

The asymmetric layouts have issues in these games. Either awful map design, unbalanced weapon spawns, or simply severely questionable start spawns in general. Look at Guardian, red immediately gets overshield and sniper. In High Ground, blue team immediately gets sniper, shotgun, overshield, bubble shield, and more often better chances at invis and also rockets.

These 1-flag/1-bomb type maps have been very poor for many years. Something I strongly hope Frankie and the 343 guys put some good depth to in Halo 4's map set.

Also nominating Uncaged for worst map in Halo history. Come at me bros.
I despise the Cage's spawns and layout, but...

eVPyF.jpg

343 just seem to be having trolling with the TU playlist. After all the feedback on the various forums they went out of the way to use poor settings to 'test'. Is 343 run by Glados or something!?? Only she would be able to parody Reach's fualts in the supposed 'fix' playlist in such a sadistic manner.

Cmon the science is done, you have tons of data to look at, stop forcing us to play with vanilla Reach settings. Seriously. Look at the Reach beta thread from a year ago and read it instead of making us repeat the same feedback now.

I know im not privvy to the inside information and so for all I know there may be some useful data being gathered, but why not implement the other feedback given all year long? At least in one gametype so you can test how that plays with zero bloom and get feedback on that?

Striker, I really hate how you take a poor aspect of Reach and compare it to something poor from Halo 3. Do you not like improvement. Rather than saying "I would prefer to have uncaged than orbital" why not instead say "I would rather not have either, give me the pit." Maybe I ask too much, but when your constantly saying, "at least its not as shit as this, I can still play it", it really doesnt seem like you want to have fun lol.

For the record I dont think its worth 343 throwing resources at Reach. Focus on Halo 4, communicate what the design process is, let the fans give feedback and maybe, just maybe let Halo 4 be the game Reach should have been. I know you cant exactly design by committee, but with major things like bloom throwing it to the community would be a sweet way to get people like Ghaleon to write theoretical posts on the pro's and con's. I actually doubt that would work but im all for letting 343 focus on Halo 4 and learn from Reach's mistakes, rather than continue band aiding Reach.

FyreWulff

Nollemaster said:
Orbital is my favourite map.

I´m serious.

One of my favorites too. Quite a few people had problems mapping the map's layout in their head though, but it's basically a miniature Avalanche, a basic horseshoe map.

Blue Ninja said:

I'd like to see them try and tackle Crysis-sized levels. Have one main objective and a shitton of bonus objectives you can complete to make it easier. If a player decides to "storm the base" head-on right from the start, that's his call. If he wants to sneak around, sabotage the Grunt's methane supply near a dig site on the other side of the map, then proceed to a small outpost and burn it down to draw the Covie's attention, that's his call, too.
That. Why do you want more? Make it like the level "Halo", just give some extra mission. I would be happy with it.

Never understood the hate? It was a nade fest because of the whole map being hallways! The map was one of the most random maps in the history of Halo.

KidA Seven said:
Never understood the hate? It was a nade fest because of the whole map being hallways! The map was one of the most random maps in the history of Halo.

Never had any of those problems with it nades on that map. I'm highly annoyed by nadespam, whether it is in Halo 3 or Reach. Everyone on my friendlist actually liked it very much and the people on HaloGaf are the first people I've seen to hate it with so much passion.

Tha Robbertster said:
Never had any of those problems with it nades on that map. I'm highly annoyed by nadespam, whether it is in Halo 3 or Reach. Everyone on my friendlist actually liked it very much and the people on HaloGaf are the first people I've seen to hate it with so much passion.

You forget, HaloGaf hates everything halo related, ha!

FyreWulff said:
One of my favorites too. Quite a few people had problems mapping the map's layout in their head though, but it's basically a miniature Avalanche, a basic horseshoe map.
It's great for gametypes like One-Flag. For slayer, it isn't so great. Overall it's alright. Certainly not as bad as Isolation.

I hope 343i will split Halo 4 and not trying to get everything on one disc. Give me a separate disc for Singleplayer and MP. And a better textures if you install it like BF3. =)

FyreWulff

Dax01 said:
It's great for gametypes like One-Flag. For slayer, it isn't so great. Overall it's alright. Certainly not as bad as Isolation.

I made a version that played better for Slayer, called Shortibal. I made a bridge across the chasm using the merge-able doors that's smooth enough that you can drive a mongoose from the bottom to the top. Worked better for player movement in that gametype.

It's not on my file share but if we're ever on Halo 3 I'll show it to you.

edit: turns out I had a deletable file in my FS so here it is:

Shortibal

TheOddOne

Hypertrooper said:
I hope 343i will split Halo 4 and not trying to get everything on one disc. Give me a separate disc for Singleplayer and MP. And a better textures if you install it like BF3. =)
I would not be apposed to that too.

wwm0nkey

Hypertrooper said:
A million times this!

7 gigs for a long ass SP and 7 gigs for a shit ton of maps.

Tawpgun

More games are going multi disc. I'd like Halo 4 to also, especially since its going to be at (more or less) the end of the 360's life cycle.

MrBig said:
It's so sad seeing how much of their aspiration for Reach were crushed. Especially seeing what TotS could have been. Every time I see that presentation it makes me feel worse about Reach.

I'd loved it so, so much to replace TotS settings with the ones seen in the video; being able to drive along with that giant army. It gives me ''the ark'' vibes.

Tha Robbertster said:
I'd loved it so, so much to replace TotS settings with the ones seen in the video; being able to drive along with that giant army. It gives me ''the ark'' vibes.
Disappointing that Reach was the bigger battle in the fiction, but Halo 3 offered the bigger battles in the game.

Any chance of 343s answer to BUNGLE Pro maps in the pipeline?

Reach, as is, doesn't have any fun gametypes in Action Sack. Team Sumo was amazing and Zeus was a brilliant idea.

No race playlist... still?!

Hydranockz said:

Reach, as is, doesn't have any fun gametypes in Action Sack. Team Sumo was amazing and Zeus was a brilliant idea.

?!?!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????

BOOM! BALL

Hydranockz said:

Which one was Zeus?

I remember a mode where 1 team was on the ground floor of sandbox and had to run between checkpoints while one team in the skybox tried to snipe them, that mode was a lot of fun but didnt pop up often. Was that Zeus?

Also race really should have a playlist by now! I wish double exp playlists existed just so we could get wacky playlists (like race) on a one off basis. I dont even care about the exp, I just want them to introduce wacky/ alternative gametype weekends.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hydranockz said:

Exactly.

Hydranockz said:

Action sack in reach and 3 is weak compared to THIS.

Louis Wu

bobs99 ... said:
Which one was Zeus?

I remember a mode where 1 team was on the ground floor of sandbox and had to run between checkpoints while one team in the skybox tried to snipe them, that mode was a lot of fun but didnt pop up often. Was that Zeus?
That was Zeus. (Well, the MAP was Zeus. The gametype was Run for Cover.) It seemed to pop up a lot for me - I played a couple of dozen games on it.

Woorloog

Banned
Dax01 said:
I hope 343 modifies multi-team to make it 2v2v2v2v2 again.
Or simply 2v2v2v2. Hate 3v3v3v3, i don't want one random while playing with a friend. Doubles MM doesn't work, we get either ridiculously good opponents or ones we steamroll without any effort.

GhaleonEB

Hypertrooper said:
The art trailer teases it a lot and I hope we will get big spaces to explore. But a open-world can be really hard to convert. The most Open-World games I played are awesome. But after 15 Hours I ever put the game to the side. Never finished Red Dead Redemption or LA Noire. The bigger task is it to get the Open-World feeling in such one mission. Would prefer that way. :)
There's a spectrum between Halo's current mission-based design and true open world play. I'm not expecting something too far along that scale. ODST moved a bit in that direction, but not fully, with a hub world that started off small in scope and then opened up, with traditional Halo missions branched from them. Deus Ex is similar, with a pair of hubs that you depart for the main missions from.

So my hope is less for a full open world Halo game, than for a game that moves the series in that direction, either building deeper exploration elements into the missions themselves, or into the game structure.

Halo's gameplay combined with that concept art would just fit so well together in a context that is more open than ten separate, linear missions in a row.

MrBig

GhaleonEB said:
There's a spectrum between Halo's current mission-based design and true open world play. I'm not expecting something too far along that scale. ODST moved a bit in that direction, but not fully, with a hub world that started off small in scope and then opened up, with traditional Halo missions branched from them. Deus Ex is similar, with a pair of hubs that you depart for the main missions from.

So my hope is less for a full open world Halo game, than for a game that moves the series in that direction, either building deeper exploration elements into the missions themselves, or into the game structure.

Halo's gameplay combined with that concept art would just fit so well together in a context that is more open than ten separate, linear missions in a row.
I couldn't bring myself to go any farther in Deus Ex with it's clunky combat system, but from what you say it's similar in structure to Rage. I'd be ok with a hub world in that style. Linear story, but the world is still open to the hub you are currently in and you can complete side missions along with the linear main story line.

In the context of halo this could mean you go out and explore forerunner areas, learn about the forerunners, collect intel to help with missions, and then head back to that UNSC ship as a main base.

MrBig said:
I couldn't bring myself to go any farther in Deus Ex with it's clunky combat system, but from what you say it's similar in structure to Rage. I'd be ok with a hub world in that style. Linear story, but the world is still open to the hub you are currently in and you can complete side missions along with the linear main story line.

In the context of halo this could mean you go out and explore forerunner areas, learn about the forerunners, collect intel to help with missions, and then head back to that UNSC ship as a main base.
Somehow I want to play Rage now. If it's like Halo 3: ODST, I will have a lot of fun.

Top Bottom