• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT6| There Are Those Who Said This Day Would Never Come

MrBig

Hypertrooper said:
Somehow I want to play Rage now. If it's like Halo 3: ODST, I will have a lot of fun.
ODST's hub was more of a manual loading screen between the missions. Rage is an actual open hub game. It has the best combat of any game I have played in the last 10 years, and the guns are so satisfying to use. Best played on PC, but with consoles locked at 60 fps you can't go wrong.

GhaleonEB said:
There's a spectrum between Halo's current mission-based design and true open world play. I'm not expecting something too far along that scale. ODST moved a bit in that direction, but not fully, with a hub world that started off small in scope and then opened up, with traditional Halo missions branched from them. Deus Ex is similar, with a pair of hubs that you depart for the main missions from.

So my hope is less for a full open world Halo game, than for a game that moves the series in that direction, either building deeper exploration elements into the missions themselves, or into the game structure.

Halo's gameplay combined with that concept art would just fit so well together in a context that is more open than ten separate, linear missions in a row.
I would prefer ODST hub world. One big area that evolves after a mission more. And not 2 different hub worlds. :) (Still haven't finished Deus Ex yet)

Edit.: Damn. I thought I would make a double post. Puh...
MrBig said:
ODST's hub was more of a manual loading screen between the missions. Rage is an actual open hub game. It has the best combat of any game I have played in the last 10 years, and the guns are so satisfying to use. Best played on PC, but with consoles locked at 60 fps you can't go wrong.
I'm going to pick up the 360 version later. (Seeing that Deus Ex, Space Marine only cost less than their half here in Europe makes me to wait)

FyreWulff

Plywood said:

Race was mentioned as an upcoming playlist for the CCs to eventually collect maps for, but that was before Bungie had to hand the game off so all those plans are moot. You'll have to lean on 343 to do it now.

Kuroyume

Banned
Yes! Make the teams in Multi Team smaller like they were. The change was stupid. Multi Team was much more hectic with the smaller teams. Although, I have to say I would rather play Hog Race than the worse mongoose version.

There are some story elements of the Halo universe I'd like to see 343 expand upon. Namely, the United Earth Government. We don't know much about it other than what was given when Halo 1 released. Is there a president and a congress? What's the structure? Were all military decision during the Covenant war made within the military or were there presidents throughout the war directing and approving the actions? It's something the books don't even expand upon.

Louis Wu

40,000 cR for a single game - wow. (Finished up the Weekly, got nearly 4k for game complete, plus a 3k slot, plus the extra little stuff (performance bonus, commendations, etc). Would have been pretty cool to have gotten one of those 15k jackpots on that game... but I'll take this. :) )

GhaleonEB

Louis Wu said:
40,000 cR for a single game - wow. (Finished up the Weekly, got nearly 4k for game complete, plus a 3k slot, plus the extra little stuff (performance bonus, commendations, etc). Would have been pretty cool to have gotten one of those 15k jackpots on that game... but I'll take this. :) )
I haven't had one of those games in a while, but I enjoy popping in for Challenges that get me over 10,000 in a Firefight game. I got last night's 400 kill Challenge in two games, the second paying out over 12,000. I can get both Firefight Challenges today in a single game of Doubles (DMR loadout for the three sniper sprees, plus six sprees for going 100+ deaths without dying, and a sticky spree). Should get ~13,000 cR for it. Makes a fun little goal to hop on and notch.

PNut

Banned
Kuroyume said:
Although, I have to say I would rather play Hog Race than the worse mongoose version.

They are both bad and a disgrace to the Halo 3 version. Absolute disgrace. Would love to see a Race playlist at some point though in Reach.

And I agree, MT should go back to teams of two.

343 has race nights every Friday with the community right? I just don't know why they haven't included it on MM if they have maps every week.

Hydranockz said:
343 has race nights every Friday with the community right? I just don't know why they haven't included it on MM if they have maps every week.
No? CruelLegacy is doing every month one race night. I don't think that a 343i guy is joing them everytime. :) It's a 343i forum community event and not organized by 343i.

Homeboyd said:
Anything to look forward to this week?
Bulletin, New York Comic-Con -> Halo Anniversary Campaign Discussion this Saturday.

Hypertrooper said:
No? CruelLegacy is doing every month one race night. I don't think that a 343i guy is joing them everytime. :) It's a 343i forum community event and not organized by 343i.
Ah yes, I was wrong. But this dude has quite a few maps and his montages are regularly up on Waypoint. I sure hope someone can get the ball rolling and get some of the community's race maps to CC and get something race related to MM.

Edit: 3/4 of the way through this OT?

Halo: Reach |OT7| An awful lotta talk for a game nobody 'really' likes :p

PNut

Banned
FyreWulff said:
Halo 3 Race was marred by constant assassination fests due to the invincibility bug.

Yup, that is one of the few things they did fix in Reach that I was excited to see. But, I'd take assassination fests a million times over than the terrible vehicle physics in Reach and the bad vehicle based maps.

The world of difference a 15% reduction in bloom has made is incredible. There is enough bloom the throw off shots at great distances but a lovely consistency at shorter ones. Going back to TO last night was very weird for me. 100% was so apparent.

Hydranockz said:
The world of difference a 15% reduction in bloom has made is incredible. There is enough bloom the throw off shots at great distances but a lovely consistency at shorter ones. Going back to TO last night was very weird for me. 100% was so apparent.
I disagree. For me, the difference between 85% and 100% bloom is so small that, well, there may as well not be a difference. If you put the two side by side and asked me to pick which was which, I wouldn't sure.

I'd like to see 60% or 50%.

heckfu

Banned
Blerg, I got caught up in football this weekend and have like 17 games to complete the weekly. With the Bills on now and Dexter, et al on later...looks like this weekly is getting scrapped on my end.

Striker

Tha Robbertster said:
I'd always be happy to see that map pop up, never understood the hate for it.
It was hallways and nothing but. That resulted in grenade spam and players just crouching behind crates and walls. Basically two ways from one base to another. I need no other reasons.

PNut said:
Yup, that is one of the few things they did fix in Reach that I was excited to see. But, I'd take assassination fests a million times over than the terrible vehicle physics in Reach and the bad vehicle based maps.
If they had the same teams and players per, and used selective maps it works. Halo 3 RR only used Valhalla, Sandtrap, and Standoff really.

The Reach Mongoose is much better than its predecessor. 3's bounced and flipped way too easy.

Dax01 said:
I disagree. For me, the difference between 85% and 100% bloom is so small that, well, there may as well not be a difference. If you put the two side by side and asked me to pick which was which, I wouldn't sure.

I'd like to see 60% or 50%.
I personally don't see an advantage to 50% bloom over no bloom at all though. After I played a good few matches of both ZB and 85% bloom yesterday, that one match on Objective really made 100% quite glaring. Mind you, I don't care too much, I just had to...
adapt

Armour Lock is definitely better now. I really enjoy how it plays now that is more balanced.

PNut

Banned
Striker said:
If they had the same teams and players per, and used selective maps it works. Halo 3 RR only used Valhalla, Sandtrap, and Standoff really.

That's true but most of the maps they used for RR in Reach (excluding Hemorrhage) just didn't flow well at all. This wasn't the case with Valhalla, Standoff or Sandtrap. Heck I'd throw Avalanche in there too.

The Reach Mongoose is much better than its predecessor. 3's bounced and flipped way too easy.

I actually fell the Reach Mongoose is way to bouncy and real easy to flip. As well as the hog too.

Okay, today I checked my pre-order list(I cancelled a lot) and tries to find a english copy of Anniversary with the Grunt Funeral skull and the Master Chief armor. And really no retailer offers them in the UK. Even the banned shop that had it before. WTF?.

Tunavi

Banned
Louis Wu said:
rofl - made me think of this.
I lol'd so hard at this part

Tashi0106 said:
What's wrong with no bloom bro?
If you want a serious reply, here you go. I thought I would love it, I don't.
I realized as long as the bloom doesn't get bigger than the second reticle circle of the DMR, I might be okay with bloom, as it simulates minimal bullet spread in a confined reticle, rather than over exaggerated bloom.

Tunavi said:

I thought I would love it, I don't.
I realized as long as the bloom doesn't get bigger than the second reticle circle of the DMR, I might be okay with bloom, as it would be more like bullet spread in a confined reticle space rather than over exaggerated bloom.
Yeah I think this is exactly how I feel Tunavi.

I feel like 85 percent bloom worked really well. I can't wait to see a CEA game type with no DMR or Needlerifle. Just Halo CE weapons.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tunavi said:

I realized as long as the bloom doesn't get bigger than the second reticle circle of the DMR, I might be okay with bloom, as it simulates minimal bullet spread in a confined reticle, rather than over exaggerated bloom.
I asked it to be a jerk but I did want a serious answer. Reach and bloom go together. They're meant for each other. If you want a great no bloom Halo, you have to wait for Halo 4. Just one year though so we're not far. I would imagine we will get info shortly after Anniversary is released. Maybe early next year.

Tunavi said:

If the blooming reticle only got as big as the second reticle ring then you would just have a weapon that everyone will fire at its fastest rate, but sometimes you won't get hits due to some random bloom.

Tashi0106 said:
I asked it to be a jerk but I did want a serious answer. Reach and bloom go together. They're meant for each other. If you want a great no bloom Halo, you have to wait for Halo 4. Just one year though so we're not far. I would imagine we will get info shortly after Anniversary is released. Maybe early next year.

Already declaring Halo 4 great eh? :p

Tashi

Steelyuhas said:
If the blooming reticle only got as big as the second reticle ring then you would just have a weapon that everyone will fire at its fastest rate, but sometimes you won't get hits due to some random bloom.

Already declaring Halo 4 great eh? :p
I mean, it's Halo. If 343i plays it safe, it will be great. However, I'm not sold they can make the best Halo like Bungie has done every 3 years.

GhaleonEB

Tashi0106 said:
I mean, it's Halo. If 343i plays it safe, it will be great. However, I'm not sold they can make the best Halo like Bungie has done every 3 years.
Indeed - there's only one way to find out. I am selecting cautious optimism, but we'll see.

Tashi

Steelyuhas said:
Yeah that's where I'm at as well.

Just wanted to give Tashi some shit.
Rude

:p

MLG Orlando is 4 days. I'm really pumped. I know soon enough I'm going to get really nervous.

MrBig

Tashi0106 said:
I mean, it's Halo. If 343i plays it safe, it will be great terrible. However, if they can do their own thing and make a brand new, amazing game, that I haven't been playing for the last 10 years already I'll be sold.
Fixed.

Bungie's art may have gotten better with every release, but their story telling and universe got more restricted with each game.

Tashi

MrBig said:
Fixed.

Bungie's art may have gotten better with every release, but their story telling and universe got more restricted with each game.
Campaign and multiplayer are 2 different games as far as I'm concerned.

MrBig

Steelyuhas said:
In that case, what you think 343 'playing it safe' would be?
Doing a reach-style overlay of new ideas on the same quake base, or treating it like they did the Reach TU. They need to come up with truly new ideas instead of just reinventing old ones.

Tashi

MrBig said:
Doing a reach-style overlay of new ideas on the same quake base, or treating it like they did the Reach TU. They need to come up with truly new ideas instead of just reinventing old ones.
Either way, 343 has a huge decision on their hands. Play it safe or go wild.

Edit: and at this point they've already made it.

Blinding

Tashi0106 said:
MLG Orlando is 4 days. I'm really pumped. I know soon enough I'm going to get really nervous.

You'll have fun, just don't end up disappointed with where you end up placing since it'll more then likely take a bit away from the experience.

Tashi0106 said:
Either way, 343 has a huge decision on their hands. Play it safe or go wild.

Edit: and at this point they've already made it.
Talks at 343 now focus on adding jetpacks to everything. Thanks Tashi!

Tashi

Blinding said:
You'll have fun, just don't end up disappointed with where you end up placing since it'll more then likely take a bit away from the experience.
That's true. I know we have a good team but I don't want to get ahead of myself and think we're going to cruise. It is nice having 4 points though. I'm looking to have a great time.

Tunavi

Banned

I have a folder of over 500 wallpapers that changes every 15 minutes. I just drop photos in and forget about them. I gotta say this one blew me away.

Edit: another one just popped up. So much lost potential with Reach...

Tawpgun

Tunavi said:

I have a folder of over 500 wallpapers that changes every 15 minutes. I just drop photos in and forget about them. I gotta say this one blew me away.

My god... imagine if in New Alexandria there was a street level also. With fighting going on.

Top Bottom